The reason why official APP2SD is unavailable atm

Guest rhotov

Guest rhotov

http://www.androidguys.com/2010/05/22/storing-apps-sd-froyo/

We all rejoiced when we heard that in Froyo, Android would officially implement a way to store apps on SD card storage (commonly known as "apps2sd"). Documentation on how this will work has been published, and some of the details, while reasonable in the context of addressing real concerns, may be surprising. The most important surprise: no apps currently in the Market can be stored on the SD card without being updated.

http://developer.android.com/guide/appendi...l-location.html

Beginning with API Level 8, you can allow your application to be installed on the external storage (for example, the device's SD card). This is an optional feature you can declare for your application with the android:installLocation manifest attribute. If you do not declare this attribute, your application will be installed on the internal storage only and it cannot be moved to the external storage.

I hope this page will answer your (potential) questions :rolleyes:

Edited by rhotov

Guest MingoChang

Try type "pm setInstallLocation 2" in the adb shell. After this operation, the newly installed software will be put into your sd card. I've just installed several games to my sd card through this way. It works perfectly.

If you want to install your apps into the phone storage, change "2" to "1" in that command line.

Guest envmyz
Try type "pm setInstallLocation 2" in the adb shell. After this operation, the newly installed software will be put into your sd card. I've just installed several games to my sd card through this way. It works perfectly.

If you want to install your apps into the phone storage, change "2" to "1" in that command line.

Awesome! Thanks!

Guest Aspergillus

Does this need a rootet phone?

Where does Android put the apps..in a directory on the fat partition? Wich one?

Will Titanium Backup be able to backup those Apps too?

Where does Dalvick of those Apps go?

Regards

Aspi

Guest Vegito168

This looked promising at first, but you should read about some of the issues from page 5 and on @ XDA that come with using this shell command. Doesn't seem to be worth it. Have you rebooted your phone to confirm that everything is still running perfect without any of the issues stated @ XDA? If so, then maybe I just might try it. But as of right now, all the issues people have reported is keeping me from doing this command. I may just do a nandroid though, and then try this, and obviously if I encounter any issues, I'll just restore.

Guest MingoChang
This looked promising at first, but you should read about some of the issues from page 5 and on @ XDA that come with using this shell command. Doesn't seem to be worth it. Have you rebooted your phone to confirm that everything is still running perfect without any of the issues stated @ XDA? If so, then maybe I just might try it. But as of right now, all the issues people have reported is keeping me from doing this command. I may just do a nandroid though, and then try this, and obviously if I encounter any issues, I'll just restore.

I know this problem. But it's not that serious, and there're ways to avoid it.

For me, I only install games or something that won't be launched as soon as the phone completes its boot process. And when your phone reboots, keep it locked for about half a minute. I've rebooted several times, no app has lost yet, everything is working fine.

Guest wrxtc714

For me, I only install games or something that won't be launched as soon as the phone completes its boot process. And when your phone reboots, keep it locked for about half a minute. I've rebooted several times, no app has lost yet, everything is working fine.

Exactly. Some apps you should just leave on internal. Like launchers Widgets. Etc...

Some apps will need to be updated for them to work properly.

And some will work fine.

Once apps are made for froyo it wont be an issue anymore.

For instance I'm living without handcent ATM Because it keeps force closing.

Anyway. Just give it another month to let the market app devs catch up.

you have to realize we are way ahead of everybody right now.

Oh and a quick note for those who may not know

The class of SD card that you have does matter for performance

Any class will work but class 6 is always recommended for best results

I personally use a class 6 16gb card from a local company called topram.

it works good so far. You can find them on eBay. Around $60 to $70. I forgot how much exactly.

Edited by wrxtc714

Guest Vegito168

Ok.....Now I can confidently confirm that you were right. I have moved all apps to my SD card, with the exception of the ones that are dependent on the android system, such as the ones that have a widget associated with them. It operates flawless for me so far. I am so happy!!!!! I have already rebooted twice just to be extra sure. No problems now. BTW, I did this via the terminal emulator, since someone on XDA suggested it.

Guest Uxian

As long as app developers keep away from more recent API features you can compile using the 2.2 SDK, add the android:installLocation attribute to the manifest but still set the minimum SDK version to 1.5 or whichever you want and it will provide A2SD with backward compatibility. It's horribly clunky and you risk inadvertently using a more recent API call unless you switch back from time to time to check but it does work. I've just updated my own app and hopefully other developers will be releasing similar updates soon.

Guest 3shirts
As long as app developers keep away from more recent API features you can compile using the 2.2 SDK, add the android:installLocation attribute to the manifest but still set the minimum SDK version to 1.5 or whichever you want and it will provide A2SD with backward compatibility. It's horribly clunky and you risk inadvertently using a more recent API call unless you switch back from time to time to check but it does work. I've just updated my own app and hopefully other developers will be releasing similar updates soon.

If you have an app installed internally, then an update is released for 2.2 which is optionally able to install to SD, will it ask when you update from the market or will it just install over the existing internal one and require you to go into the applications list and move it?

Guest Uxian
If you have an app installed internally, then an update is released for 2.2 which is optionally able to install to SD, will it ask when you update from the market or will it just install over the existing internal one and require you to go into the applications list and move it?

The latter; it will install in the internal memory and the "Move to SD Card" option will become enabled in the application settings. You'll only be offered a choice when you first install the app.

Edited by Uxian

Guest thelucster

It seems a bit strange to me that they didn't enable App2SD as the default, and add a manifest option to disable it. I understand there are issues with certain apps, however it sounds like this will be fine for the majority. I expect it will be quite a while before most apps are updated to take advantage of this; if at all.

Guest nxsone

Ok im really new to this so i will share with you Wat i happen to found with the move to sd option

Some people claim reboots or gray button.

I update setcpu from market and now i have the MOVE TO SD so i press it and it kinda work

Because now it says move to phone BUT i dont have a partition in my sd , and i could not find setcpu in my sd ..

Weird no :rolleyes:

Edited by nxsone

Guest Keramidas
Does this need a rootet phone?

Where does Android put the apps..in a directory on the fat partition? Wich one?

Will Titanium Backup be able to backup those Apps too?

Where does Dalvick of those Apps go?

Regards

Aspi

Yes, Titanium Backup can handle and backup these apps now.

The apps are inside encrypted files within the /sdcard/.android_secure folder, whose contents are visible in recovery mode only.

As far as I know, the Dalvik cache for them is still in internal memory - but I haven't checked.