USB brick/rickrolled/b0rked -> FIXED!

Guest IEFtm

Guest encrypt

I'm not bricked but should I apply this fix ? USB behavior is strange... sometimes the connection just disappear... will this fix solve it? Thanks

Guest Luqq
Hi r&a,

flash_image needs to be run from your phone (so yeah, linux only I guess, heh).

Copy it over to /data before you run it :(

Doesnt matter :o You can run the flash image via windows if you have adb shell.

Good work guys, makes me feel a lot more secure about flashing froyo! :(

Guest mardox

will this also fix the huge battery drain most of us have gotten from brick? i was unlucky and sent in my phone for repair yesterday xD

Guest Snarkasm

You can run flash_image from within the phone, no fastboot required. Somebody could just make an app/script that does it from a shortcut on the desktop, in theory.

Guest jdouce

the step 1 is the root step ... you can run step1.sh on a bricked device

its fastboot :( so even if u brick while rooting or have applies the WWE and gone back to stock u can still run step 1 and get root acess

Guest StuMcBill
It would be best to pull a misc.img if you're not bricked right now. It would also be best if a nandroid backup would pull misc.img during a normal backup.

To get your own misc.img out of a working device, use

cat /dev/mtd/mtd0 > /sdcard/misc.img

And pull the misc.img off of your SD card next time you link up. :(

And misc.img contains the mtd0.img that needs to be replaced if I did end up with a usb brick?

Guest Nrond
You guys are legends :(

A few questions:

1) first post says you need ROOT to flash this repair - so what happens if you 'brick' first time during the root, can you still apply the fix??

Credits to Paul for the root and those who resolved the issue, I bet there are interesting things to come from the debug mode very shortly

seems to be my situation. tried root procedure again after brick and uploaded testimage.zip again.

device is wiped know and cant access sd card

Guest DrMon
seems to be my situation. tried root procedure again after brick and uploaded testimage.zip again.

You can re-enable the SDCard using fastboot. Boot the phone into fastboot by holding down VOL- and power.

Wait for the screen to flash some messages and disappear, then plug in the USB, ensure fastboot is highlighted in the menu and press the power button once.

Then, from your pc (in the directory containing the fastboot executable):

fastboot oem enableqxdm 0

then

fastboot oem boot

Should re-enable your SDCard.

Edited by DrMon

Guest Snarkasm
And misc.img contains the mtd0.img that needs to be replaced if I did end up with a usb brick?

Yes. You can just flash back misc.img onto misc as instructed.

im such a noob. How do i do a "fastboot oem boot" when in fasboot?

You do it from your android sdk's tools folder. Run fastboot oem boot in a command prompt or terminal and watch the output.

You can re-root by running ONLY step 1 of the rooting procedure. This should get you a rooted test ROM. Even if you're bricked, you should be able to get the files working.

Guest IEFtm
You guys are legends :(

A few questions:

1) first post says you need ROOT to flash this repair - so what happens if you 'brick' first time during the root, can you still apply the fix??

You should be able to apply the TestRUU (which gives root from step1) in RUU flashing mode.

2) what happens if you do brick? do you repair and try re-rooting again? Would be interesting to know if you re-brick, this would point to something about the phone causing this

It's probably the hacked recovery that is causing this. We will investigate with Paul, obviously. Somehow, misc partition gets overwritten.

So you can try all you want , as long as you have the correct misc.img to reflash in case of a usbbrick.

3) now we know what caused the brick, can the original root be modified to prevent it?

See above.

Credits to Paul for the root and those who resolved the issue, I bet there are interesting things to come from the debug mode very shortly

Guest nico1375
Then post a misc partition dump.

'cat /dev/mtd/mtd0 > /sdcard/mtd0.img'

From where do you issue this command?

Terminal? Adb shell?

phone?

Guest DrMon
From where do you issue this command?

Terminal? Adb shell?

phone?

From the phone througha terminal emulator, though you could use adb and type:

adb shell <command> (Unless of course you're bricked and can't :()

All works the same in the end :(

Edited by DrMon

Guest IEFtm

adb shell <command>

usb-brickees can't use adb :( So you'd either need 'Terminal Emulator' or 'Better Terminal Emulator' from the Market.

Guest nico1375

adb shell <command> (Unless of course you're bricked and can't :()

It says "cannot create /sdcard/mtd0.img: read-only file system"

What do I miss?

Guest SonicArt77

crap... I just sent my phone back to HTC a couple of days ago! If I could've just waited two days.........

now that this is fixed, we can all continue flashing without any worries!

Guest IEFtm
It says "cannot create /sdcard/mtd0.img: read-only file system"

What do I miss?

Try flashing the rooted image from Step 1 from the rooting guide.

Go into fastboot mode, and do step1.

Then, you can 'su' in a terminal to get root.

Edited by IEFtm

Guest StuMcBill
It would be best to pull a misc.img if you're not bricked right now. It would also be best if a nandroid backup would pull misc.img during a normal backup.

To get your own misc.img out of a working device, use

cat /dev/mtd/mtd0 > /sdcard/misc.img

And pull the misc.img off of your SD card next time you link up. :(

OK I have done this successfully, and I now have an misc.img file, so if I was to become usb bricked, I could just run the commands in the first post substituting mtd0.img for misc.img.

And I would achieve the same results?

Thanks

Stu

Guest IEFtm
OK I have done this successfully, and I now have an misc.img file, so if I was to become usb bricked, I could just run the commands in the first post substituting mtd0.img for misc.img.

And I would achieve the same results?

Thanks

Stu

Yes, it would. So keep a backup!! :(

To the people who donated using the link in the topicstart: Thank you!!! *takes a bow*. This will go towards getting hardware for hacking this POS even more :(

Edited by IEFtm

Guest SonicArt77

As long as you're able to complete step 1 of the rooting process, you'll be rooted.

Edited by SonicArt77

Guest StuMcBill
Yes, it would. So keep a backup!! :(

To the people who donated using the link in the topicstart: Thank you!!! *takes a bow*. This will go towards getting hardware for hacking this POS even more :(

Thanks, and yes, it is safely tucked away on my computer :o

Guest MIYU-G
As most of you know, people have been hard at work to fix the USB issues we've been seeing due to recovery setting us into USB debugmode.

After unsuccessful attempts to change the kernel commandline , eg. to:

board_bravo.disable_uart3=0

board_bravo.usb_h2w_sw=0

we've been successful in discovering (with the help of XDA-developers) that these switches are stored in the first NAND partition, mtd0, or 'misc'.

You must be rooted to try the following, it seems you can't write to mtd0 without root.

Do step 1 again if you have to.

Also, SD card functionality has to work. For this, do 'fastboot oem enableqxdm 0' in fastboot mode.

Steps involved:

1. Find out your CID. Go into fastboot mode, and do 'fastboot oem boot'.

The log will say something like the following:

#INFOTAG:Ramdisk OK

#INFOTAG:smi ok, size = 0

#INFOTAG:hwid 0x0

#INFOTAG:skuid 0x21F04

#INFOTAG:hero panel = 0x0

#INFOTAG:engineerid = 0x0

#INFOMCP dual-die

#INFOMCP dual-die

#INFOTAG:mono-die = 0x0

#INFODevice CID is not super CID

#INFOCID is HTC__E11

In this specific case, the CID is HTC__E11.

2. Get the following mtd0.img from here or from here: mirror provided by SgtDavePwnage.

Edit this image to the CID you found above with a hex editor.

3. Get flash_image from here or from here: mirror provided by SgtDavePwnage.

Move this to /data/ , and flash the modified image using:

"/data/flash_image misc /data/mtd0.img"

You can move both mtd0.img and flash_image by putting it on your sdcard, and issueing the following command in a terminal emulator:

'cat /sdcard/flash_image > /data/flash_image'

'cat /sdcard/mtd0.img > /data/mtd0.img'

You might have to do 'chmod u+x /data/flash_image' before you run the commands (or chmod 755 /data/flash_image)

4. Repeat step 3 a couple of times if it doesn't seem to work well.

5. All done! Reboot, you should have normal usb connectivity. Post your 'fastboot oem boot' log and intermediate steps if it fails.

Credits:

-kubino @ XDA for providing us with the 'misc' information

-TheProfessor @ irc.oftc.net #modaco for being the first test subject + debugging

-adam235 @ irc.oftc.net #modaco for being a test subject as well + debugging

-SgtDavePwnage @ irc.oftc.net #modaco -> moral support + debugging :(

-DrMon @ irc.oftc.net #modaco -> being brave enough to test on his non-bricked device!

Click here to DONATE :(

if my desire cid is also HTC__E11,should I edit the misc.img again? or I can flash it directly without edit