Created rootedupdate.zip version 1.21.405.2

Guest oclock

Guest ace55
Another update (see first post for download):

* SW version 1.21.405.2

* Recompiled stock kernel with loopback device enabled (allows you to do 'mount -o loop ...')

* Busybox 1.16.1 in /system/xbin and also already installed in /system/xbin (busybox is the latest version compiled by myself!)

* Superuser 2.1

* Replaced /system/etc/firmware/fw_bcm4329_ap.bin with the one from HTC Evo 4g to make wifi tethering work

* Android wifi tether 2.0.2-pre14 (installed in /data/app, thus can be removed and/or manually updated!)

Tested wifi and wifi tethering on my device. And it seems to work without problems.

Hope you like it and it works for you, too :)

BTW: I am starting to give my ROMs names from now on. This one is called "Three O´Clock A.M." :-)

oC

hi im rooted with apps2sd ,do i need to wipe to update,or can i just update ,thanks

Guest oclock
hi im rooted with apps2sd ,do i need to wipe to update,or can i just update ,thanks

You don´t have to wipe, but you have to reinstall apps2d after update!

Guest dreamdealer

* SW version 1.21.405.2

* Recompiled stock kernel with loopback device enabled (allows you to do 'mount -o loop ...')

* Busybox 1.16.1 in /system/xbin and also already installed in /system/xbin (busybox is the latest version compiled by myself!)

* Superuser 2.1

* Replaced /system/etc/firmware/fw_bcm4329_ap.bin with the one from HTC Evo 4g to make wifi tethering work

* Android wifi tether 2.0.2-pre14 (installed in /data/app, thus can be removed and/or manually updated!)

Tested wifi and wifi tethering on my device. And it seems to work without problems.

BTW: I am starting to give my ROMs names from now on. This one is called "Three O´Clock A.M." :-)

oC

Nice to hear it, I can see good things coming from you in times to come, but don't mess around with it too much or at least don't mess with the kernel too much, because been stock, is what makes this rom what it is.

Edited by dreamdealer

Guest trib22

So I'm reasonably certain I've done something mildly stupid and am prepared to take my n00b lumps for it...

I reflashed my rooted device with the 3AM ROM from #1. It all works like a charm.

Except I did a "Wipe" first (I wasn't reading, was I?), so it didn't keep my apps. I'm not (nor have I to date, maybe that will change) running A2SD of any flavor.

So, now, every time I try to reinstall an app, the Desire tells me that there's insufficient storage available. I'm newish at this on Android devices, so I'm not sure what I've done. Some friendly advice on how to fix this (no doubt accompanied by a good slap in the head) would be appreciated.

trib

Guest mountnorth

* SW version 1.21.405.2

* Superuser 2.1

oC

"Three O´Clock A.M." replaced my own rooted stock - because I couldn't get wifi tethering to work at my rom. Only difference between yours and "mine" was busybox/kernel - I tried to run wifi tether with my rooted stock 1.21.405.2 could start wt and also successfully connect clients but no traffic from that point (no errors in log either).

Did you have to change something with your Kernel to enable wt?

And thanks for sharing your work here.

Edited by mountnorth

Guest djoni

Hi guys, I'm glad to be member of this fine community :)

I'm a Desire newb who bought Orange branded phone 3 weeks ago, rooted it, and since then I was hesitating to add 1.21 update, due to issues with wifi and simlock.

This rooted update seems like an answer for my problems, but I still have few questions.

This is a scheme I used for rooting phone:

- did data backup with mybackup pro

- made goldcard using Goldcard tool

and then I used this scheme:

4. Run Test RUU Installation

1. Turn your phone off and insert the GoldCard microsd card into the phone.

2. Turn the phone on and connect it to your PC (harddrive mode).

3. Move the rootedupdate.zip download onto the sdcard now in the phone.

4. Turn off your phone, and unplug it from your PC

5. Turn it on again while holding the back button.

6. You will see FASTBOOT on the screen in a red box.

7. Connect the phone to your Windows PC and run the textruu.exe you downloaded earlier.

8. Once the update is complete, your phone will enter the default configuration wizard. Turn your phone of right away at this point.

9. With the phone turned off, unplug it from your PC.

5. Root Your HTC Desire

1. Turn on your phone while holding the volume down button.

2. You will see HBOOT on the screen.

3. Use the volume buttons to move up and down and power button to select the RECOVERY option.

4. You will now see a red triangle on the screen, at this point plug your phone into your PC via your microUSB cable.

5. Unzip the file pushfiles_windows.zip that you downloaded earlier, and double click on recovery-windows.bat inside this unzipped folder.

6. Once you run it you will notice, the screen of your device change to a green recovery image menu.

7. In the recovery image, Select Wipe > Wipe Data/Factory Reset using the optical trackpad

8. Now, from the same menu, select Flash ZIP from SDCard and choose the rooted update. Confirm with the optical trackball. This process may take a while so be patient.

9. When the flash has finished, reboot, and you are DONE!

1. my first question is, after I move rooted update to goldcard, do I still need to do testruu part, or could I simply jump to phase 5? Maybe it's a stupid question, but I'm a total noob and everything is relatively new to me!

2. since I bought my phone from previous owner, it is an Orange UK phone and I used it on Telenor network without any issues from the beginning, is there a possibility that my phone is already unlocked and that I won't have any problems with phone lock if I do update the usual way (insert gold card, do OTA). I don't like the idea of spending money on unlock codes, and I read posts on XDA who paid money and got wrong codes on "trusted" sites! I wouldn't like to lock my phone permanently :)

thanks again for this update guys!

Edited by djoni

Guest oclock
So, now, every time I try to reinstall an app, the Desire tells me that there's insufficient storage available. I'm newish at this on Android devices, so I'm not sure what I've done. Some friendly advice on how to fix this (no doubt accompanied by a good slap in the head) would be appreciated.

Just to be sure that nothig is wrong with the 3-oC-am ROM: I tried to install an app from the market right now and it installed without any problems.

Can you check Settings->SD&phone storage, please?

How much available space is written there?

Best wishes,

oC

Guest oclock
"Three O´Clock A.M." replaced my own rooted stock - because I couldn't get wifi tethering to work at my rom. Only difference between yours and "mine" was busybox/kernel - I tried to run wifi tether with my rooted stock 1.21.405.2 could start wt and also successfully connect clients but no traffic from that point (no errors in log either).

Did you have to change something with your Kernel to enable wt?

I did not change anything else in the kernel except to enable loopback devices.

You can pull /proc/config.gz from your phone and compare 'my' kernel config with 'yours'.

Edited by oclock

Guest madmic

Hi All, I've posted this over at XDA.. but thought as the creator was here I really should post here too...

So I decided to update to this ROM rather than messabout with an OTA update and get my Orange phone locked.... but had some big problems and wanted to know where I went wrong my steps were...

Boot to recovery.. and get USB bricked!!!! get this sorted by using the backup mtd0 I created

Boot to recovery again and do a wipe / factroy, wipe cache and davlik

Flash rom from sd card

Flash a new boot animation from sd card (didn't want the "quietly brillaint" to wake the missus )

Boot

Check apps2sd is working by using ls -l /data as su and find it wasn't

enter recovery again and attempt to flash apps2sd from the sd card (after doing all the wipes again) and get an error about symlinks failing to xbin - it was late and I didn't note the error down..

Decided to roll back to the previous rom which was the one from the r5 modaco rooting...

Not sure where I went wrong, I'm pretty new to Android but spent much time flashing WM stuff to quite a few devices... and spent half the night reading but can't figure it out, any help is very welcome!

Guest oclock
So I decided to update to this ROM

Which ROM exactly?

enter recovery again and attempt to flash apps2sd from the sd card (after doing all the wipes again) and get an error about symlinks failing to xbin - it was late and I didn't note the error down..

Without the error messages nobody can tell you what went wrong. Maybe the A2SD update tried to set symlinks that are already set in my rom?

Did you try the A2SD update that you can find in post #43 on page 3? Which one of the two? Or which A2SD update did you use?

oC

Guest PaulW21781
Which ROM exactly?

Without the error messages nobody can tell you what went wrong. Maybe the A2SD update tried to set symlinks that are already set in my rom?

Did you try the A2SD update that you can find in post #43 on page 3? Which one of the two? Or which A2SD update did you use?

oC

If he's getting errors regarding SYMLINKS, then he is using the pre-8th June A2SD++ patch, as this one tries to install busybox. If he uses the one for after 8th June (to match the most recent ROM you put up), then it won't complain about SYMLINKS, as you have Busybox installed & done already in that.

Also (to madmic), as mentioned, there is no need to wipe when you install any of the A2SD++ patches, just make sure you apply the correct one for the ROM you downloaded. If you do have issues like you said, perform another WIPE, then re-flash the 1.21 ROM, and apply the LATEST A2SD++ Patch (for after 8th June), it says up in Post#43 quite clearly which one is which :)

Guest madmic

thanks for the info guys - I was using the 3am rom and the apps2sd from post 43 - I've just been told that we are going out for dinner so wont be able to try this until much later, I'll give the whole thread another reading hopefully with more awake non-post USB brick paniced eyes on! But thanks for the tips and pointers :)

Guest rveupen

I am still on the rootedupdate.zip of Pauls first Root campaign.

I am quite ahppy with the way it works but hey...I am a test junky and would like to venture into this 3 O 'Clock Am rom.

As I have read it is a stock rom which is fine by me. What I don't seem to read anywhere is will this change the Hboot from 0.75 to 0.80?

I also assume that I will have to use one of the updates in post #43 WITH BusyBox because I will use the 3 O 'Clock Am rom and want apps2sd. I am just not sure which one to use UVOCv14 BASE, OCv14 BASE or UVOCv11 BASE.

Ay advise would be appreciated.

Guest trib22
Can you check Settings->SD&phone storage, please?

How much available space is written there?

I'm pretty sure it's the ROM + my inexperience. I reflashed with a stock 1.21 ROM and everything is sweet now.

A lesson learned.

Guest oclock
As I have read it is a stock rom which is fine by me. What I don't seem to read anywhere is will this change the Hboot from 0.75 to 0.80?

None of the provided updates will change your HBoot version. If you have HBoot 0.75, then you will also have it after upgrading.

I also assume that I will have to use one of the updates in post #43 WITH BusyBox because I will use the 3 O 'Clock Am rom and want apps2sd. I am just not sure which one to use UVOCv14 BASE, OCv14 BASE or UVOCv11 BASE.

Ay advise would be appreciated.

Yes, you have to use one of the updates from Paul "For use with the ROM from here WITH BusyBox installed (as of 8th June)". 3-OC-AM is with busybox installed!

Which one of Pauls updates you want to use I cannot tell you (I have no experience with them). Maybe someone else can recommend you one or you try to find more information about advantages/disadvantages.

If you do not have A2SD right now, then I would recommend you to first upgrade your Desire with 3-OC-AM and play a little bit with it to be sure that you are still happy with the way it works (I am sure you will be, because basically nothing big changes from 1.15->1.21 ;-)). And then, in a second step, upgrade with one of Pauls A2SD++ updates.

Good luck and best wishes

oC

Guest oclock
thanks for the info guys - I was using the 3am rom and the apps2sd from post 43 - I've just been told that we are going out for dinner so wont be able to try this until much later, I'll give the whole thread another reading hopefully with more awake non-post USB brick paniced eyes on! But thanks for the tips and pointers :)

Let us know, if you get stuck somewhere and need help.

Bon appetite ;-)

oC

Guest PaulW21781
None of the provided updates will change your HBoot version. If you have HBoot 0.75, then you will also have it after upgrading.

Yes, you have to use one of the updates from Paul "For use with the ROM from here WITH BusyBox installed (as of 8th June)". 3-OC-AM is with busybox installed!

Which one of Pauls updates you want to use I cannot tell you (I have no experience with them). Maybe someone else can recommend you one or you try to find more information about advantages/disadvantages.

If you do not have A2SD right now, then I would recommend you to first upgrade your Desire with 3-OC-AM and play a little bit with it to be sure that you are still happy with the way it works (I am sure you will be, because basically nothing big changes from 1.15->1.21 ;-)). And then, in a second step, upgrade with one of Pauls A2SD++ updates.

Good luck and best wishes

oC

The OC and UVOC are modified "Standard" kernels for overclocking/underclocking etc, I use them with SetCPU to underclock the Desire depending on charge level/state of the phone, does help to get some more life from a single charge!

I'll do a standard 1.21 kernel with A2SD in the morning though, that way if people don't want the modified kernels can keep to a vanilla one from HTC and still have A2SD.

Guest rveupen

I already had app2sd and in my opnion it seems that when you use app2sd and eveything is working as it should the battery life seems to be longer. Before app2sd was correctly configured then mem when down to only 22mb free.

I went on to flash the 3 o 'clock rom. Did a complete wipe of everything (AppBrain is easy afterwards) flashed the rom, without restarting flashed the OCv14 BASE and again without restarting partitioned the SD (No Swap, 640MB ext2 (converted to ext3) and partioned the rest for data.

Everything works like a charm.

Only thing left to do is the radio. Should I update? I have the 4.06.00.02_2

rveupen

Guest madmic
BTW:

I saw your post at xda (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=694564&page=4). I am not the creator of the ROM that is offered there!

D'oh! tee-hee

Okies - I managed to get an hour or so to flash this bad-boy - used the correct apps2sd - all went smoothly except when I applied the rom it kept crashing at line 3 "Copying", but a wipe / factory reset and we were back in business - booted all looking sweet, added in apps2sd and tested.. so far a really sweet rom and working real nice :)

Thanks matey

Guest PaulW21781
I already had app2sd and in my opnion it seems that when you use app2sd and eveything is working as it should the battery life seems to be longer.

If you used the UVOC A2SD++ Kernel (based on richardtrips UVOC kernel on XDA), its actually an "undervolted overclocked" one. So makes the CPU draw less power during use and allows you to adjust the clock speeds for certain sceneraios/battery levels.

Install this:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=505419

And when you first run it, scroll to the bottom of the page and choose "Use custom settings from SDCard", and have fun :)

Just a note though, I don't run mine at OC'd speeds, I keep it limited using SetCPU to 998MHz (stock), but have lower clock speeds for standby and low battery. IMO performance of the phone is good enough not to warrant the overclocking capabilities of using the modded kernel, but as for extending battery life, its pretty invaluable!!

Guest oclock

For those of you using Three O´Clock A.M.:

Andorid WiFi Tether 2.0.2 is released:

http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-teth...mp;can=2&q=

I will integrate this version to the Three O´Clock A.M. ROM today in the evening.

However, you dont have to flash this new rom.

You can easily update this app, because I did not integrate it to /system, but to /data:

1. Go to application manager and uninstall android.tether.

2. Copy the apk of the new version to your sdcard

3. Use a filemanager like aatro, root explorer, etc. and click on this apk.... it will be installed

Did not try it yet by myself, but should work.

Have fun!

oC

Guest oclock
trying to flash this new update image, but getting error on line 3 then it aborts?

Can you give me more information please, so that I can provide a fix, if neccessaryy.

What ROM is currently on your Desire?

What exactly is the error message?

Today in the evening I want to update my ROM and it would be nice if I could fix this, if possible...

oC

PS: I have an idea what could cause an error, but I can not check it until evening ...

Probably you already have android.tethering installed and my update-script does not check this.

Workaround 1: Delete android.tether from the application manager and then install my rom

Workaround 2: Wipe before install my rom

Both should work...

Edited by oclock