Currently have a rooted 1.5 and need advice

Guest ceanth

Guest ceanth

Hi all, I'm very new to android and I bought my htc hero which was already rooted.

Now that 2.1 is out, can I install a rooted version of the 2.1 rom onto my device or would I need additonal things in order install a rooted 2.1 rom?

Am I right in thinking that the only offial 2.1 roms out at the moment is the Asian rom?

I'm really keen on reeping the benefits of 2.1 but want to make sure I don't screw up my device!

Thanks

C

Guest Andy1984UK

I'm a noob as well and I managed to install the new 2.1 on my Hero without any major dramas. You'll need to download the file from the post marked "04/Jun - Official HTC 2.1...." Its just short of 100mb. Once its downloaded just rename it to update.zip and move it to your sd card.

Turn your phone off and turn it back on pressing and holding the home key. Do a nandroid backup, then you'll probably need to wipe your phone (i had to) then just install the update.zip from your sd card and hopefully all is good.

I lost my t-mobile internet settings so I just had to re enter them from one of the posts on page 2 or 3.

Edited by Andy1984UK

I'm gonna hang on for MCR4 before I flash another ROM. Though there are ROMs I'd like to try I reckon MCR4 will be along quick enough that I'll regret wasting time messing around with settings over and over.

Guest ceanth

thanks Andy!

I was under the impression that the 2.1 ROM you mentioned was the Asian ROM. Does everything work as its suppose to? I heard that some of the IM/social network connections are specific to asia

Guest valerebel
Hi all, I'm very new to android and I bought my htc hero which was already rooted.

Now that 2.1 is out, can I install a rooted version of the 2.1 rom onto my device or would I need additonal things in order install a rooted 2.1 rom?

Am I right in thinking that the only offial 2.1 roms out at the moment is the Asian rom?

I'm really keen on reeping the benefits of 2.1 but want to make sure I don't screw up my device!

Thanks

C

Hi ceanth

I'd wait until tomorrow when Paul said he should have MCR4 ready.

Regards

valerebel

Guest Andy1984UK
thanks Andy!

I was under the impression that the 2.1 ROM you mentioned was the Asian ROM. Does everything work as its suppose to? I heard that some of the IM/social network connections are specific to asia

It is the Asian ROM. Theres a few widgets which are clearly Asian but not a lot else that i've seen. The FriendStream feature doesn't work as of yet but I think thats also the case with the other ROMs. I'd definately wait for Pauls rom tomorrow as he'll probably have cleaned up the Asian stuff and included a few other tweaks.