[ROM] FLB-Mod 1 (Based on Android 2.1)

Guest Simon O

Guest Zsolabola

@ Flibblesan

This version (1.4.1) rocks :huh: Thanks Im using the stock launcher. Its fast and stable.

And my battery usage is very low. Im charging my phone every day, but with this it is able to survive the weekend from saturday morning till sunday night. ;)

One question I can't find in the manage app menu the News and Weather application, is it possible to remove it somehow?

Guest meinnit
System memory is the memory used to launch applications and system processes. As you can imagine this is important, however it's not important to have this free.

Thats not strictly true as this is the reason we are getting the SMS issue. Using a fancy launcher means we have less RAM for other apps so the moment you launch a memory hungry app (eg. a web browser) there isn't enough RAM available to receive text messages.

I like the fact you have given the option for stock launcher :huh: Like someone else pointed out, I think we should save the fancy launchers for 2.2 (lower memory footprint...apparently!) or a better phone!

My recommendation, if text messaging is important to you.....don't use a fancy launcher!

Edited by meinnit

Try to wipe dalvik-cache.

It doesn't really help. After the wipe android.process.media is going crazy and the phone freezes the same way.

A notice: With LaunerPro I hear the mounting sound when the PIN display is visible, with the stock launcher the sound is played while the boot animation and about 10 seconds later the PIN dialog is shown.

Edit: The media process is still crazy and takes all of the cpu. How can I handle this?

Edited by Ellia

Guest Simon O
Thats not strictly true as this is the reason we are getting the SMS issue.

The reason we have the SMS issue is because Android kills the messaging service when available ram drops below a critical amount. Using the stock launcher or a 'fancy' launcher makes no difference as long as the launcher operates as a system launcher on a shared UID. Then it will use the same android.process.acore as all other system apps reducing the memory usage.

And with ADW launcher I have an average of 37MB available ram. With LauncherPro (which uses it's own dalvik instance) I have 30MB available ram, dropping to 20-25MB depending on activity.

Guest thisweb

Have just reflashed to start again with UK2.1 , ClockworkMod and FLB 1.4.1 (originally on HU 2.1 / Oscillation rom). Everything works fine with FLB. The mod looks great. The only problem is that when I use Titanium Backup to restore my apps and data it just says 'failed to restore...'. The backups are there. I click restore and it says restore failed. I can't restore my SMS either. I just want to know if anyone else has had this problem on this new rom. I've used Titanium to restore things between many and various roms before with zero issues. It may be an app issue I just wondered if anyone else here has used titanium on FLB 1.4.1, and used backups from an older rom with success. Oh and it looks like I can't get my nandroid backup to revert back to my original Hu/Oscillation rom either, I think becasue the UK update has a smaller system partition so it won't all fit back when it ties to restore to new Tmob UK firmware/partitions. The phone just crashes and gets stuck on android logo before nandroid restore completes. I'm worried Ive lost everything. Any help most appreciated.

Guest adam p
Have just reflashed to start again with UK2.1 , ClockworkMod and FLB 1.4.1 (originally on HU 2.1 / Oscillation rom). Everything works fine with FLB. The mod looks great. The only problem is that when I use Titanium Backup to restore my apps and data it just says 'failed to restore...'. The backups are there. I click restore and it says restore failed. I can't restore my SMS either. I just want to know if anyone else has had this problem on this new rom. I've used Titanium to restore things between many and various roms before with zero issues. It may be an app issue I just wondered if anyone else here has used titanium on FLB 1.4.1, and used backups from an older rom with success. Oh and it looks like I can't get my nandroid backup to revert back to my original Hu/Oscillation rom either, I think becasue the UK update has a smaller system partition so it won't all fit back when it ties to restore to new Tmob UK firmware/partitions. The phone just crashes and gets stuck on android logo before nandroid restore completes. I'm worried Ive lost everything. Any help most appreciated.

I have had some issues with Titanium Backup on various versions of FLB-Mod - try the following (one at a time):

1) Uninstall and reinstall Titanium Backup

2) If you have changed the Backup folder make sure you use / and not \ in the path (with \ Titanium can still read your backups when it starts, but can't restore them)

3) Change the memory management settings back to Android defaults (using Autokiller or A2SD) while restoring apps - the 'Moderate' settings used in 1.4.1 can sometimes cause issues with Titanium (sorry, can't remember what the default settings are - they are listed somewhere in this topic)

It doesn't really help. After the wipe android.process.media is going crazy and the phone freezes the same way.

A notice: With LaunerPro I hear the mounting sound when the PIN display is visible, with the stock launcher the sound is played while the boot animation and about 10 seconds later the PIN dialog is shown.

Edit: The media process is still crazy and takes all of the cpu. How can I handle this?

I wiped Dalvik-Cache and flashed FLB v1.41 again, but the process "phone" is killed and the Pulse is freezed. How can I handle this? Is there a solution without a complete wipe? Thanks

Guest Simon O
I wiped Dalvik-Cache and flashed FLB v1.41 again, but the process "phone" is killed and the Pulse is freezed. How can I handle this? Is there a solution without a complete wipe? Thanks

delete the /data/data/com.android.launcher directory then wipe dalvik-cache, reboot into recovery and flash the launcher again.

Guest meinnit
The reason we have the SMS issue is because Android kills the messaging service when available ram drops below a critical amount.

Isn't SMS handled by the SMS_RECEIVED intent? So the messaging app is invoked when a text is received. Did you see my theory in 'ANDROID 2.1 T-MO UK UPDATE' thread :huh: What do you think of it?

I have also reproduced on FLB. Happened when memory was approx 15MB

I think SMS is handled by the SMS application. This is what I understand...(may be wrong though!) When an SMS is received Android passes the request to whoever responds to the SMS Received trigger. At this point the Messaging app is launched however is there isn't enough memory to do this, the SMS is "lost". The network probably doesn't retry because intenally Android has "accepted" the SMS however it was not handled correctly. This is my theory ;)

Guest kankle123

Hello,

I have updated from 1.2 to 1.4.1 and my data service isn't working any more, I cannot connect to the web via by the G, E or 3G data connections any more. I am on the Orange network -- any suggestions?

Thanks for the releases Mr Flibblesan I enjoy using your mod :huh:

delete the /data/data/com.android.launcher directory then wipe dalvik-cache, reboot into recovery and flash the launcher again.

Done, and it looks more stable. I've still the problem with the media process. It needs nearly 100% cpu. After reading in some boards it seems like the process wants to index a media file which is corrupted and it ends with a loop. But I haven't copied any newer files to the sd card which can cause this issue. Is there any way to solve it without to format the sd card?

Guest thisweb
I have had some issues with Titanium Backup on various versions of FLB-Mod - try the following (one at a time):

1) Uninstall and reinstall Titanium Backup

2) If you have changed the Backup folder make sure you use / and not \ in the path (with \ Titanium can still read your backups when it starts, but can't restore them)

3) Change the memory management settings back to Android defaults (using Autokiller or A2SD) while restoring apps - the 'Moderate' settings used in 1.4.1 can sometimes cause issues with Titanium (sorry, can't remember what the default settings are - they are listed somewhere in this topic)

Thanks a lot for the help. I just tried all of 3 of these things. None of them worked unfortunately. The odd thing is that some apps do restore (documents to go for example) If I batch install I get about 6 apps that install, the same ones every time, but I have about 30 apps and none of my data / sms restores. If I change the app processing mode in titanium preferences to interactive I get the error message saying 'There is a problem parsing the package'. If I can't use titanium with FLB its a deal breaker for me. I figured most people would be using it. Will try contact developer and see if that helps.

Guest Simon O
Done, and it looks more stable. I've still the problem with the media process. It needs nearly 100% cpu. After reading in some boards it seems like the process wants to index a media file which is corrupted and it ends with a loop. But I haven't copied any newer files to the sd card which can cause this issue. Is there any way to solve it without to format the sd card?

Try deleting the .thumbnails and .albumthumbs folders from the SD. This will force the media process to rescan all files. I've had this issue when some thumbnails were corrupted.

Guest dimben1

Salut

comment dois je faire pour passer de la flb 1.0 a la 1.4 ??? je suis pas super douer alors je ne voudrais pas faire d'erreur , merci beaucoup

v1.4.1 - 17th August 2010 Latest Release

[snip] ...

Edited by BigBearMDC
epic quote fail ...

Guest Simon O
Salut

comment dois je faire pour passer de la flb 1.0 a la 1.4 ??? je suis pas super douer alors je ne voudrais pas faire d'erreur , merci beaucoup

Vous devez effacer toutes les données de l'appareil. Ensuite, vous pouvez mettre à niveau en utilisant le mode de récupération.

modifier votre message s'il vous plaît. La citation est trop grande.

(Google Translate, désolé.)

In English:

You need to wipe the device. Then you can install the update from the recovery mode.

(Google Translate, sorry)

Edited by flibblesan

Guest nspadic

well.. i think this is my first or maybe second post... but i'm a regular user of flb-mod since version 1.0

My experience is that 1.4.1 is the most stable version, i haven't had a single FC since install...

Maybe it is because prior to 1.4.1, i had hungarian 2.1 as a base, but now i wiped everything, updated to UK 2.1 and then flb 1.4.1 and stock launcher and all my earlier problems are now gone... (those were: phone procces force closes, poor launcher refresh interval, and so on..)

good work!

Guest petz20099

Hi all,

Just one note: I installed "Startup Manager" and I noticed that there are 2 occuriences of Mms.apk. I don't know if it can be related to the sms issue. Perhaps they can conflict?

Ciao,

Petz

Guest dimben1
Vous devez effacer toutes les données de l'appareil. Ensuite, vous pouvez mettre à niveau en utilisant le mode de récupération.

modifier votre message s'il vous plaît. La citation est trop grande.

(Google Translate, désolé.)

In English:

You need to wipe the device. Then you can install the update from the recovery mode.

(Google Translate, sorry)