Skype for Android (.apk included)

Guest Umka

Skype mobile for Android was released at official Skype website.

Hovewer, for some reasons it is not available for download. The only way to get is - is to get a new phone from Verizon with Skype pre-installed.

There is the APK dumped from one of those phones. But When installing Skype and trying to run it it gives this kind of error:

I am now trying to decompile and try to fix the phone-check but I am fairly new to this. If anyone has any advise or can fix the apk - it would be great.

PS: it is really ignorant from Skype to only include its software for selected phones.

post-624579-1276179042_thumb.png

SkypeVerizon.zip

Edited by Umka

Guest willyaranda

Latest reply:

For the Nth time, yes. This apk is pointless to hack since it calls a number that Verizon has excluded from billing. That helps no one. Also, it doesn't use data at all. 100% voice.

Could you share the apk with us ?

Sorry I was sure i uploaded it to my Post, but seems like download failed or something.

I have uploded the file now. Still no luck with "fixing" maybe some of the pros can do it.

Guest peterx666
Sorry I was sure i uploaded it to my Post, but seems like download failed or something.

I have uploded the file now. Still no luck with "fixing" maybe some of the pros can do it.

asked skype when they are releasing for the Acer Liquid - they said as it was not a popular phone they had other priorities

;)

Guest HustlinDaily
asked skype when they are releasing for the Acer Liquid - they said as it was not a popular phone they had other priorities

;)

badword SKYPE

Guest HustlinDaily

If they make a version for the Nexus One, shouldn't it work with the Liquid as both have 800x480 WVGA displays and similar hardware?

If they make a version for the Nexus One, shouldn't it work with the Liquid as both have 800x480 WVGA displays and similar hardware?

It is not about screen resolution. They are doing it on purpose ()badword Skype) so that new phones sell better. Skype.apk would run just fine unless it is intentionally bocked to only run on phones from Verizon.

Guest Barleyman

Give VOIP/SIP a try, guys.

I tried both fring & Nimbuzz - Nimbuzz has epic fail on having zero control over gain control and apparently has none by default. In short, the other guy can't hear you. Fring has weird moonbase alpha issue with about 2 second lag. 2 seconds may not sound like a lot but it makes for really funky conversations.

I also have voipbuster account so I checked what the store has for VOIP (SIP). The sipdroid simply blows both fring and nimbuzz away on voice quality hands down (*).

Skype out works OK on PC for me, so the problems fring/nimbuzz have appear to be android-specific. Since skype made exclusive deal with US carrier, the least you can do is sign up to voipbuster or some other SIP/VOIP service to show your appreciation ;)

(*) Obviously voice quality heavily depends who and how you're calling, I'm just calling people on skype out / voip to mobiles/landlines over 3G.

Edited by Barleyman

• 2 weeks later...
Guest peterx666

I am a bit fed up - paid skype some money when I had a (rubbish) Windows phone

Now I have Acer Liquid Android can only use Skype on my Laptop!

Asked them and they said tuff !

Guest sede

I got this message:

This file is neither allocated to a Premium Account, or a Collector's Account, and can therefore only be downloaded 10 times.

This limit is reached.

To download this file, the uploader either needs to transfer this file into his/her Collector's Account, or upload the file again. The file can later be moved to a Collector's Account. The uploader just needs to click the delete link of the file to get further information.

Guest Borkata
This worked for me!

It is Skype's old beta before it was Verizon only.

Found it from the good people at xda.

Try it out- (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=6693468&postcount=3) or (http://rapidshare.com/files/405255762/Skype__BETA__1.0.0.5.apk).

Still to use Call option you have to set personal number to be American one and then it is available, BUT once you try to call it is calling USA number.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...