Dell Streak accessories now on Dell site

Guest Loconinja

Guest Metoo

"Connect via HDMI to enjoy video, music and photos on your HDTV"

except that you can neither play music or view photos over HDMI?

"total protection for you (sic) Dell Streak from scratches"

except that the highly scratch-prone front end panels have no protection at all?

"Travel in style" with a "Premium Wallet"

that looks cheap and is held together with an elastic band? (Dell pic shows closure tab)

So all 3 accessories, not only priced sky high, but mis-described too!

Edited by Metoo

Guest rebski

@Dunhamzzz, Thanks for doing such a good informative review. As I see it, these accessories fall short in so many ways that it is hard to see who they can satisfy.

My own need for a case is to provide full protection for when I toss my Streak into my bag without fear of damage by any sharp edged items I might be carrying. So the hard form fit back is ideal apart from the fact that it also needs a lid. Why do we have to accept that the screen and end pieces are still vulnerable? Sorry but a sheet of screen protector is no substitute.

The idea that Nokia used on the N770 is what I would like, basically a hard cover over the screen when it is being transported and which is removable and clips on to the rear when the device is being used.

Watch here at 5:00 for what I mean

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZfW-PU3tlY&NR=1

The most useful part of the leather folio is the clip-on back with kick stand. Now why can’t that same stand be part of the hard form fit case? It might be worth buying the folio just to remove the back and kick stand for separate use.

As for the dock, that is very good indeed apart from the HDMI software implementation. It seems that the big shortcoming is that only videos are permitted to be displayed on the TV. I would have expected it to be whatever is on the Streak screen, e.g. YouTubes, photos, Spreadsheets, etc. Also it is tied to the inbuilt video player? That is bad news too.

These limitations means that I won’t be buying the dock either.

At least Dell has created a gap in the accessory market both in terms of useful cases, stands, charger cables, etc. and for reasonable prices.

Thanks again for taking the time, trouble and expense of doing this for us.

Guest Rhysd2
@Dunhamzzz, Thanks for doing such a good informative review. As I see it, these accessories fall short in so many ways that it is hard to see who they can satisfy.

My own need for a case is to provide full protection for when I toss my Streak into my bag without fear of damage by any sharp edged items I might be carrying. So the hard form fit back is ideal apart from the fact that it also needs a lid. Why do we have to accept that the screen and end pieces are still vulnerable? Sorry but a sheet of screen protector is no substitute.

I suggest buying a zagg full body shield then. that is probably your best bet as it will cover every single piece.

Guest rebski
I suggest buying a zagg full body shield then. that is probably your best bet as it will cover every single piece.

Thanks but that is still just a glorified screen protector though? Besides I dislike screen protectors. On every device that I have installed one I have taken it off after a very short while.

What I want is the form fit case but with a lid and a kick stand. Yes I know, and hold my breath too.

Guest Rhysd2
Thanks but that is still just a glorified screen protector though? Besides I dislike screen protectors. On every device that I have installed one I have taken it off after a very short while.

What I want is the form fit case but with a lid and a kick stand. Yes I know, and hold my breath too.

good luck. form fitting cases generally never cover the front

Guest mobiholic

This comes in at around £10 - £14 and is what I'll be getting if/once it's released. The Dell accessories are in my opinion priced well beyond what is reasonable for the features they offer.

Feels a bit like Dell is trying to ape the 'premium' brands like Sony and Apple, "you pay more because it says Dell on it", when it comes to the Streak accessories.

Someone should tell them that the brand 'name' has to be worth something before you can do that. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with buying Dell, but you wont see many people paying extra for something just because it says Dell on it, unlike Sony or Apple in particular. As soon as alternatives arrive I expect the prices to drop or Dells sales to drop sharply, for now though they've got the market cornered so they can charge what they like without any backlash. :angry:

Just thought I would add, Dell is already aware of their lack of 'premium brand' image so they created the XPS line to grab a piece of the premium pie, so it beggars belief that they think they can charge this much for these very basic accessories.

Edited by mobiholic

Guest hobochangba

My premium wallet never didnt arrive in time for my holiday looking at the review above i'll be sending it right back. Two main reasons I ordered it were for the kick stand to watch videos, seems you cant do that without the flap popping up. The second was so I can chuck it in my bag but the damn thing is only secured with an elastic band. Wont even bother opening it.

I got my form fit case.

Maybe my mistake, but i didnt realised when I red the description this is a hrd plastic piece which covers only the back. 23 pounds for hard plastic piece, is very good profit for streak.

Is anybody dropped with this? Rubber would reduce the hit but this is hard so doesnt i think.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest hobochangba

Back again.

Cancelled my order with Dell and got a refund after seeing how crap the Premium Wallet was on the video posted earlier in this thread.

Yesterday I went to Asda at lunch and picked up a BlueOcean nintendo DSI leather wallet case type thing for £5 which is a superb fit for a Streak.

Its nice and plush inside so no chance of scratching and it has a really strong velcro flap to keep it closed.

Highly recommended :(

Guest zigzagindex
Back again.

Cancelled my order with Dell and got a refund after seeing how crap the Premium Wallet was on the video posted earlier in this thread.

Yesterday I went to Asda at lunch and picked up a BlueOcean nintendo DSI leather wallet case type thing for £5 which is a superb fit for a Streak.

Its nice and plush inside so no chance of scratching and it has a really strong velcro flap to keep it closed.

Highly recommended :(

Thanks for your info, I have been looking for a case for a while. Are you able to post a picture here?

Guest hobochangba
Thanks for your info, I have been looking for a case for a while. Are you able to post a picture here?

Here ya go,

last pic is a bit crap had to take it with a webcam and not my streak :(

post-717519-1280391252_thumb.jpg

post-717519-1280391497_thumb.jpg

post-717519-1280392248_thumb.jpg

Guest Dogmann55

Hi all

Well like many of you i don't even like the Dell accessories never mind their silly prices ADVERTISING SPAM seem to of gone quiet as i didn't even receive a reply to my last E-Mail asking what the delay is in their cases so as a temporary measure i bought one of those Neoprene cases off E-Bay @£6.99 and have to say it does the job really well it's easy to remove the Streak from it and protects the Streak nicely IMO. I also bought a Silicon car dash board stand that can be used also as desk top stand that i found in the iPhone4 section on E-Bay for £7.99 when I'm feeling a bit better I'll get some pictures up of both but until i find something better these two things are working for me.

Marc

• 1 month later...
Guest illmatic75

how come the chinese are not making cheap ripoffs of these accessories, they can make a fortune hehe just like with everything else

i got my firmfit case direct from o2 for 19 but heard others got it even cheaper, i think im gonna get the av dock from the US, have a friend comming over in a months time hehe

:P

how come the chinese are not making cheap ripoffs of these accessories, they can make a fortune hehe just like with everything else

i got my firmfit case direct from o2 for 19 but heard others got it even cheaper, i think im gonna get the av dock from the US, have a friend comming over in a months time hehe

:P

Cases, at least, are starting to appear. Shame that ADVERTISING SPAM are jumping on the Dell's rip-off bandwagon by charging $50 for a case which is only $28 for similar devices (e.g. N800).

Best case options at the moment seem to be from http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/easecase/ - very reasonabe prices considering they are hand made to order and offer lots of customisation options.