anonymous text message

Guest Carl_Brummy
Hello, I keep receiving anonymous (that's the number given, "anonymous") text messages. The messages are blank. Any ideas?

I have been getting these too, however, it appears that it is actually something in the message database, each time you turn off your phone, it reappears! And you just keep deleting it, and it reappears next boot...annoying.. and I don't know what is causing it...

Carl.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest mattb101
Hello, I keep receiving anonymous (that's the number given, "anonymous") text messages. The messages are blank. Any ideas?

I have been getting these too, however, it appears that it is actually something in the message database, each time you turn off your phone, it reappears! And you just keep deleting it, and it reappears next boot...annoying.. and I don't know what is causing it...

Carl.

ditto, comes from sender 12345678 and seems hard to delete ...

Sometimes my voicemail notification comes through like that.

Im getting the same; anonymous text message with no subject and im also getting a notification telling me i have a new voicemail when i dont. this is happening everytime i switch my phone on. dont shout at me for suggesting this lol but could it be a virus?? or could be something to do with the 2.1 update?

Guest Lordsmiff

I had a problem with the VM notification - I had to put my sim in a Nokia and clear it from there before it would stop coming up on my hero.

Maybe this would solve the SMS problem as well...

HTH,

Smiffy.

Guest sambartle

If you use Orange it's definitely linked to your voicemail.

I've started getting them since updating to the Chungwa based 2.1 modaco ROM.

It used to happen on Windows Mobile ROMS as well if they didn't have a specific DLL cooked into them back when I had a HTC TYTN, theres quite a few threads about that on XDA.. may be worth having a look there (I've been meaning to do it myself) to see if any of them have any useful info on what needs changing to see if we can find how to change it on Hero ROMS.. Ill try and look tomorrow as I commented on quite a few threads there about this issue so should be able to find it from my post search easy enough.

It seems to be something that needs to be configured differently for Orange to other operators and so if the ROM isn't intended for anywhere it may be used on Orange it might be missing.. The Euro based ROMs may work better as they are likely to have it configured.

Guest sambartle

oh and if I remeber rightly from the old WM days..

If you delete the text it will just come back.. the onlyway to get rid of it is to delete your voice mail and wait for it to send a signal to delete the text from your SIM..

If you dont have messages reboot your phone, ring yourself and leave one.. then wait 5 mins.. log in to voicemail and delete it.. that shoudl clear the text for you

Guest sambartle

I've just a had a look and found the thread where it got solved for WinMo.. http://forum.xda-developers.com/archive/in...p/t-299072.html

But.. its not gonna help as they simply found a working DLL and replaced the broken one.. so no clues what needs changing on our Heroes.

I'll take apart a few roms and see if i can find anything that might help.

Presumably a wipe and flash of a Euro based ROM will fix it then? Now I know it's nothing sinister, I'm not bothered enough to even do a wipe atm!

Edited by Guest

Guest arunshen
Presumably a wipe and flash of a Euro based ROM will fix it then? Now I know it's nothing sinister, I'm not bothered enough to even do a wipe atm!

Hasn't happened since I wiped & flashed r5

Hasn't happened since I wiped & flashed r5

Thanks for the report, if there's a significant update perhaps I'll wipe then.

(looking at Paul's Twitter just now suggests there could be a noteworthy update coming now that the Hero 2.1 has been posted)

Edited by Guest

Guest TheMrMay

I used to have that when my Hero was unrooted. I think it has something to do with Wavesecure, removing the app seemed to stop the anonymous messages. Having said that, I use WS on 2.1 r5 now, and never have anonymous messages.

Guest sambartle

There may be some instances that are caused by Wavesecure but in my case its definitly voice mail.. I never used wavesecure.

I've upgraded to the Euro MCR release today and can confirm its fixed the issue.

Guest buttonsandzips
There may be some instances that are caused by Wavesecure but in my case its definitly voice mail.. I never used wavesecure.

I've upgraded to the Euro MCR release today and can confirm its fixed the issue.

I am on Euro MCR r5, full wipes etc and still have the problem.

Guest sambartle

Yeah I spoke too soon.. it is still broken on the Euro 2.1 v5

It seems it may be broken on all 2.1 ROMs unless someone can confirm otherwise.

Guest buttonsandzips
Yeah I spoke too soon.. it is still broken on the Euro 2.1 v5

It seems it may be broken on all 2.1 ROMs unless someone can confirm otherwise.

I have the same problem running Villainrom so I expect so. Now testing Cyanogen 6.0 and it isn't present in that