Repacking UPDATA.APP (was New version of split_updata.pl)

Guest ZeBadger

Guest ZeBadger
I can't see any of the md5sums of the extracted files within the UPDATA.APP for any of the extracted files

I'm going to modify my crc16 to do the whole file and see if any of the checksums from the file are in that.

Guest Speckles

Where can I get the time machine rom? Searching the forum gives too many hits.

An even smaller file you can get from the Pulse Mini forum - but those give "Invalid security code". Weird. I'd expect "Incorrect device" or something.

Actually, how about the CUSTOMIZED_HU file in the 2.1 update? That's incredibly small too.

Edited by Speckles

Guest ZeBadger
Actually, how about the CUSTOMIZED_HU file in the 2.1 update? That's incredibly small too.

That is an awesome idea! I forgot that was a "proper" file too.

TimeMachine rom is on Huawei's website here

Guest Speckles

Hmmm, I just found the CUSTOMIZED_UK/SK/NL etc. They are all very small and very similar, apart from one major difference: File id F3 is completely different in all of them. This is always the same size regardless of file length, but I don't think it could possibly load in 200MB+ (for the full updates) to verify the signature in such a small amount of time, so maybe it only validates the headers and depends on the headers validating the data via the crc's in the headers. It would make sense too, the F3 file is always the first one by the looks of it.

A 128-byte file would give a 1024bit signature. Sounds plausable. I think I need to see if I can check the headers using that file. The public key must be in updater executable somewhere.

Other than that, the CUSTOMIZED_xx just changes one file from "t-mobile xx" to "t-mobile yy".

Edited by Speckles

Guest ZeBadger

file02.mbn appears to contain CRC checksums for some of the files. I'm guessing that it's not a 4096 byte checksum in this one, coz I can't find the checksum for larger files, so I just need to work out the size used... leave me on it :lol:

eg for the Time Machine rom

$ hd file02.mbn

00000000  27 91 42 fd f9 ac 26 fc  87 21 01 3e 48 9a de c9  |'.B...&..!.>H...|

00000010  d1 64 af 9f 4d 42 4f 10  04 1d 09 9d			  |.d..MBO.....|

0000001c

boot_versions.txt 2791  (bytes 1 and 2)

upgradable_versions.txt 099D (last 2 bytes)

version.txt 099D  (last 2 bytes as well... ahem)

file01.mbn 2109 

file02.mbn 7A7A (It can't contain the checksum for itself)

file04.mbn 42FD (bytes 3 and 4)

file05.mbn 01C9

Edited by ZeBadger

Guest Speckles

Interesting... I wonder why they would do that? Secondly, I wonder if they have a file that contains checksums for the file headers?

Edited by Speckles

Guest ZeBadger
Interesting... I wonder why they would do that? Secondly, I wonder if they have a file that contains checksums for the file headers?

I'm quite sure all the checksums for the files will be in this file. Just got to workout how they are stored. I'm confident that this will sort out my CRC error with my image :lol:

Guest Speckles

I think you could be right. If you open the CUSTOMIZED_HU file, the FILE02 contains just two bytes 7D BD which happens to be the CRC16 of the file which contains the text "T-Mobile HU".

Guest ZeBadger

I thought I had it for a minute. There are 117145030 bytes of data in the files, 7180 in file02.mbn, that gives around 16315 bytes per file. This is very close to 16k (16384).

I split the splash screen up with "split -b 16384 splash.raw565". This didn't give me anything recognisable when passed through crc_file

"split -a 10 -b 16383 splash.raw565" gave me lots of F078

$ for each in x??

> do

> echo $each: `./crc_file $each`

> done

xaa: F078

xab: F078

xac: F078

xad: F078

xae: F078

xaf: F078

xag: F078

xah: 1357

xai: 3F61

xaj: F078

xak: F078

xal: F078

xam: F078

xan: F078

xao: F078

xap: F078

xaq: F078

xar: F078

xas: 4FA7

There's a lot of F078 in file02.mbn which makes me think that for large amounts of NULL this is probably correct, but 1357 isn't and 3F61 are not in there.

EDIT: Doh doh doh... it's 2 bytes per chunk... so must be 32k chunks... Stupid coincidence of F078 and 78FO lol

Edited by ZeBadger

Guest ZeBadger

Yup :lol: for the splash screen... the checksums are in there

$ for each in x??

> do

> ./crc_file $each

> done

78F0

78F0

78F0

9A0B

EE47

78F0

78F0

78F0

78F0

0E07

I'll recompile a crc creator for 32k... brb after rebooting into Linux! Okay it's here crc32k

Time to edit file02 then try re-flashing my phone!

Edited by ZeBadger

Guest Speckles

Cool, I was just about to mention that the file02.mbn was too big for one crc per file and that it looked chunked into 32KB sections, but I'd not confirmed it as fast as you had and I don't want to post every thought as this isn't twitter :lol:

BTW, I use VMWare for Linux, much easier than rebooting :D

Edited by Speckles

Guest ZeBadger
Cool, I was just about to mention that the file02.mbn was too big for one crc per file and that it looked chunked into 32KB sections, but I'd not confirmed it as fast as you had and I don't want to post every thought as this isn't twitter :D

Failing straight away on me now. "Update failed". First time was because I had forgotten to update the CRC for file02.mbn!

Now I'm getting :

**** SD download log ****

Failure: MD5_RSA verify failure.

Failure: operation did not succeed.  

dload_sd_ram_data_proc->(retry >= DLOAD_RETRY) failed!

Crikey... there must be an md5 in there somewhere too ? Maybe, as you had the same problems, this is something to do with how the file is assembled too.

That's enough tinkering for tonight... g/f is getting tetchy :lol:

Edited by ZeBadger

Guest Speckles

I think it's the F3 file (file01.mbn), thats 128 bytes and changes drastically on every updata.app. I don't think it's just an MD5 either - I think it's an MD5 of the file headers (those have not been checked yet, only the data) and then that MD5 hash cryptographically signed by Huawei using there own private key which is then checked by the phone which has a copy of the public key.

Guest Epic-Emodude
I think it's the F3 file (file01.mbn), thats 128 bytes and changes drastically on every updata.app. I don't think it's just an MD5 either - I think it's an MD5 of the file headers (those have not been checked yet, only the data) and then that MD5 hash cryptographically signed by Huawei using there own private key which is then checked by the phone which has a copy of the public key.

Hi,

I have been following this post for a while now (since it started), and I am very interested in what your doing. Unfortunately I don't understand much of what your talking about, so I was wondering if you could say roughly how close to completion you are on this, as I am sure there are many others in a simular position to me.

Thanx

Aaron

Guest Speckles

Really, it's impossible to say. We think there just one hurdle left, but we've been thinking that for a while now and as soon as we jump over it, another one jumps in our way. It could end up being impossible, we just don't know yet. We need a proof of concept.

Guest ZeBadger

Yeah I was looking in there... it's divisible by 32bits (_8_ md5 checksums... just need to know what they are checksums for, it's also 128 bytes in the TimeMachine rom)

I know how we can work out what it is for. It's not all of the headers as I have edited one of them and it didn't fail. I have however edited file02.mbn and got this error... but only after I fixed the CRC checksum for it! So we can just try bodging other files until we know which ones are affected.... okay I'm really going for the evening now!

I have been following this post for a while now (since it started), and I am very interested in what your doing. Unfortunately I don't understand much of what your talking about, so I was wondering if you could say roughly how close to completion you are on this, as I am sure there are many others in a simular position to me.

As Speckles says, it might not even be possible, if there's any cryptography we will probably hit a brick wall. We still haven't worked out the "something2" field... although one of my friends got the bug and has taken it away for analysis.

Edited by ZeBadger

Guest DanWilson
although one of my friends got the bug and has taken it away for analysis.

Erm whut? What bug? Analysis how and where? Is this the phone still or has your friend got diarrhea?

Guest ZeBadger
Erm whut? What bug? Analysis how and where? Is this the phone still or has your friend got diarrhea?

bug

noun

1. insect, beastie (informal), creepy-crawly (informal), gogga (S. African informal) a bloodsucking bug which infests poor housing

2. (Informal) illness, disease, complaint, virus, infection, disorder, disability, sickness, ailment, malaise, affliction, malady, lurgy (informal) I think I've got a bit of a stomach bug.

3. fault, failing, virus, error, defect, flaw, blemish, imperfection, glitch, gremlin There is a bug in the software.

4. bugging device, wire, listening device, phone tap, hidden microphone There was a bug on the phone.

5. (Informal) mania, passion, rage, obsession, craze, fad, thing (informal) I've definitely been bitten by the gardening bug.

Guest DanWilson

bug

noun

1. insect, beastie (informal), creepy-crawly (informal), gogga (S. African informal) a bloodsucking bug which infests poor housing

2. (Informal) illness, disease, complaint, virus, infection, disorder, disability, sickness, ailment, malaise, affliction, malady, lurgy (informal) I think I've got a bit of a stomach bug.

3. fault, failing, virus, error, defect, flaw, blemish, imperfection, glitch, gremlin There is a bug in the software.

4. bugging device, wire, listening device, phone tap, hidden microphone There was a bug on the phone.

5. (Informal) mania, passion, rage, obsession, craze, fad, thing (informal) I've definitely been bitten by the gardening bug.

Still don't get it, your friend is enraged and analyzing himself?

Lulz, you've lost me...

Guest ZeBadger
Still don't get it, your friend is enraged and analyzing himself?

Lulz, you've lost me...

He's gotten obsessed with the puzzle.

Guest DanWilson
He's gotten obsessed with the puzzle.

Ah. I'm to stupid to see the puzzle than to become obsessed with it...

I think someone should work 24/7 , just to fix his friends obsession. *HINT HINT*

JK - I wouldn't rush you that much, you need an hour to sleep!