Can Paul confirm when MCR4 will be released?

Guest valerebel

Guest toxic-hero
Although I wiped the phone, I did not wipe the SD card. So is it best to re-flash and wipe the SD card too? If so, what exactly do I need to do to the SD card?

i'd try to wipe your ext partition first. i don't think you need to repartition the whole sd card.

Edited by toxic-hero

Guest Skywrit3r
The only reason i'm now waiting for the next release is there is obviously an issue with A2SD in the ROM, everyone appears to have to repartition to get it to work. Personally i don't want to have to go through the hassle of doing that, thus losing all my applications, especially as obviously even if i use Titanium Backup, i'd need to take the files off the SD, then put them back on, then restore, etc. etc.

The whole idea of zipping the ROMs is to make upgrades easy, obviously there's still a bug in the WIP version causing A2SD not to work in the upgrade, even though the previous MCR releases did. My SD is FAT32 + EXT3, nothing fancy, so i'll leave it until the bugs are ironed out of the process, and hopefully there will be an Orange UK 100% compatible radio out with the European edition too.

The problem is that many of the apps you use right now are made for 1.5 and might not even work on 2.1. Because of that you might get a problem if you use Titanium Backup to restore 1.5-apps in 2.1.

I did that with the first 2.1 I flashed and I got so many FC that I had to wipe the phone. I also tried only restoring data and that resulted in fewer FC but enough to make me wipe and do a clean install of everything.

Guest shokka9
I assume upgrading to the full MCR4.0 will be seamless from this WIP?

Should be....

My Hero is (was) on Orange too, so i avoided the the new radio. Personally if i was you, i would wait for the Final MCR4.0. To be brutally honest, you arent missing much (in 2.1)

Googlemaps with Navigation is probably the boggest thing you are missing, but if you have done this far without it, then whats another couple of weeks?

LauncherPro is worth a downlaod too (when you got 2.1).

Take care

Guest shokka9

@ all

You cannot go from 1.5 Android to 2.1 Android with a flash of the ROM.

They are completely different File Systems. To confirm what is said before this post, if you have all your apps from say MCR3.2 in your ext partition on your SD card (app2sd) then these will not work at all in the new MCR4.0.

This is what causes some of the boot loops.

You need to completely WIPE data, dalvik, rotation, etc etc....ALL OPTIONS in WIPE in Recovery Console.

Personally, i would then RE-PARTITION SD Card with Recovery Console (which in turn, formats it too).

This way, the SD Card is totally clean and ready for whatever ROM you throw at it.

This is necessary when moving from different OS verisons....like 1.5 to 2.1.

It is impossible for your ext partition to carry on working from a 1.5 build to a 2.1 build. If you use Linux (Ubuntu), when you plug in your Hero to the PC, you can see the ext partition and all the apps....if you look closely they will have a red cross on the because they paths and data associated with them is corrupt, hence they will not load.

If in doubt, totally wipe everything you can, then re-partition SD card.

Good luck

Guest toxic-hero
If in doubt, totally wipe everything you can, then re-partition SD card.

why repartition all? if the files on ext partition are the cause of all the FCs than deleting all of them should be enough. or am i missing something?

Guest Dr. dre
why repartition all? if the files on ext partition are the cause of all the FCs than deleting all of them should be enough. or am i missing something?

The thing is it is better to repartition it with a whole flash, why take chances just do a fresh start, Even though it will work if you don't repartition it, but still it's better to repartition it.

Guest shokka9

alot of apps create their own download folders on your SD card also, by totally eliminating all possible causes of making your HTC Hero boot loop or FC, then you will be ensuring your ROM is freshly and cleanly installed.

As always, after a sucessful Flash, always let it boot, then setup necessary items, the power off & on (reboot) to ensure all settings etc are good to go.

;)

I am just trying to make this easier for everyone :) (mostly the noobs) Doing what anderneo says below is also enough, but still....i prefer a clean start with a ROM of such magnitude :(

Edited by shokka9

Guest trstn
Hey guys,

I mentioned this before: wipe of just the ext3 partition is enough.

Just delete the ext3 partition by using "rm 2" (in my case, my ext3 partition was second). Then recreate it using "mkpartfs primary ext2 7425 7937" and upgrade to ext 3.

Check this guide: http://androidandme.com/2009/08/news/how-t...ndroid-apps2sd/

Cheers

Or use the 'wipe SD:ext partition' in Amon Ra. Leaves the structure intact, just formats it.

Guest valerebel
Or use the 'wipe SD:ext partition' in Amon Ra. Leaves the structure intact, just formats it.

Just tried that and I got "Error : Run 'wipe ext' via adb!"

valerebel

Guest boobloo
But it doesnt work on my Hero.

I installed it at first without a wipe = boot loop on "htc - quietly brilliant", the restart, wipe, reflash = same problem...

whats up with it?

is it couse my apps²sd?

i think so, but i dont know what is to do against this problem.....

i still waiting on an final release too

;-)

I had exactly the same issue but I couldn't find anywhere which gave me confidence that the 'ext' in 'Wipe SD:ext' and 'Wipe SD:ext partition' is referring to the same partition, still not understanding the ext2/3/4 tho but hey!

I finally bit the bullet & am lovin' r4, here's how I did it:

1. Nand + ext backup
  2. Wipe data/factory reset
  3. Wipe cache
  4. Wipe Dalvik-cache
  5. Wipe SD:ext partition
  6. Wipe battery stats
  7. Wipe rotate settings
  8. Flash zip from sdcard

I was a bit hesitant with the ext wipe (5), but I tested the restore of my previous backup (1) and all was restored successfully.

Guest JamieGrossman
I had exactly the same issue but I couldn't find anywhere which gave me confidence that the 'ext' in 'Wipe SD:ext' and 'Wipe SD:ext partition' is referring to the same partition, still not understanding the ext2/3/4 tho but hey!

1. Nand + ext backup
  3. Wipe cache
  4. Wipe Dalvik-cache
  6. Wipe battery stats
  7. Wipe rotate settings
  8. Flash zip from sdcard
I was a bit hesitant with the ext wipe (5), but I tested the restore of my previous backup (1) and all was restored successfully.

What about radio? My Baseband version is 63.18.55.06JU_6.35.09.26. Do I have to upgrade it at all?

Guest JamieGrossman

1. Nand + ext backup
  3. Wipe cache
  4. Wipe Dalvik-cache
  6. Wipe battery stats
  7. Wipe rotate settings
  8. Flash zip from sdcard

What about radio? My Baseband version is 63.18.55.06JU_6.35.09.26. Do I have to upgrade it at all?

edit: no idea how this came out twice! if i could delete i would ;)

Edited by JamieGrossman

Guest Dr. dre

edit: no idea how this came out twice! if i could delete i would ;)

Yes! you can upgrade to the new Radio ROM, But if you are on orange then don't flash the new Radio ROM because orange users are facing problem with the new Radio.

Guest boobloo

I included the new 63.18.55.06OU_6.35.15.01 radio image as part of the update zip, so after the after the first reboot the phone went into the recovery image again & (I guess) the radio image was applied, then another reboot to the new r4 image!

BTW, I am on Orange & I have not seen any change (it's always been bad ;) )

Guest englishpunk
The problem is that many of the apps you use right now are made for 1.5 and might not even work on 2.1. Because of that you might get a problem if you use Titanium Backup to restore 1.5-apps in 2.1.

I did that with the first 2.1 I flashed and I got so many FC that I had to wipe the phone. I also tried only restoring data and that resulted in fewer FC but enough to make me wipe and do a clean install of everything.

That's a good point, some of them may not run under 2.1 ( though most are claiming 2.1, even 2.2 compatibility ), but that doesn't explain why A2SD causes a looping reboot when the SD is inserted, as they don't run, just get copied across. I think i'll just wait until the European version is out and then see where i am, worst comes to the worst i'll reformat/repartition then ;)

Guest JamieGrossman
Yes! you can upgrade to the new Radio ROM, But if you are on orange then don't flash the new Radio ROM because orange users are facing problem with the new Radio.

I am on Orange.. but I don't understand. Should I not apply the latest radio then? I should apply the second newest?

Guest Dr. dre
I am on Orange.. but I don't understand. Should I not apply the latest radio then? I should apply the second newest?

Just stay on 63.18.55.06JU_6.35.09.26 this Radio ROM, it would work fine, the new Radio seems to have a problem with Orange.

Guest Skywrit3r
That's a good point, some of them may not run under 2.1 ( though most are claiming 2.1, even 2.2 compatibility ), but that doesn't explain why A2SD causes a looping reboot when the SD is inserted, as they don't run, just get copied across. I think i'll just wait until the European version is out and then see where i am, worst comes to the worst i'll reformat/repartition then ;)

It seems like it's very sensitive to the apps on the ext partition. Maybe it's the odex-process that goes wrong if there is an app that is not suited for that ROM on the ext partition. When I changed from an Eris based ROM to a Legend based ROM I got stuck on the HTC quietly brilliant screen when I didn't wipe ext and both ROMs were 2.1. In the WIP thread there is some that have the same problem when they bake a ROM with Plurk.

There seems to be a lot of misinformation in this thread.

There's no change in the filing systems because of the upgrade from 1.5 to 2.1. One difference however is that WIP uses the stock kernel which doesn't support ext4. If your a2sd partition currently uses ext4 you'll need to reformat that single partition as ext2 or ext3.

The new radio works fine with UK Orange handsets. Most however will interpret the change much as if you'd swapped to a non Orange SIM. The only solution is to flash back to a previous radio or unlock your handset. If you buy an unlock code this can be entered straight into handset running the new radio; there's no need to flash back, unlock & then restore the new radio. If you prefer, the previous radios will work with WIP. Opinions as to which radio is actually better seem to be mixed.

Most other problems I've seen reported appear to be due to users not fully wiping before flashing the new ROM. 1.5 apps should generally work under 2.1, however when it comes to the new 2.1 apps in the ROM, some will store their data using file formats not compatible with their 1.5 equivalents. Failing to wipe this data before running the new ROM can therefore cause problems.

I ran the new radio for a few days with MCR 3.2 & had to unlock my phone. After that I switched to WIP. This is how I updated from MCR 3.2 to MCR pre 4 WIP:

Full backup with Titanium Backup. Nandroid back up including ext partition. Wipe data, cache & ext partition. As I was using ext4 I reformatted to ext3.

Flash new ROM, boot, do some initial configuration & install my Titanium Backup key. Use TB to restore my third party apps. I chose not to restore any system data, as it's hit & miss as to which won't have changed format between 1.5 & 2.1, but if you need to, a little research should tell you which are safe to restore. Google sync took care of my contacts. Sorted. Oh & I never had to touch the FAT32 partition.

I've had no problems so far. It seems a wee bit laggy to me compared to 3.2, but then I have installed quite a few new apps & widgets, which could easily explain this. I certainly don't want to go back to 1.5. I love the greater range of apps & finally my bluetooth keyboard works ;)

Edited by zorm

Guest JamieGrossman

There's no change in the filing systems because of the upgrade from 1.5 to 2.1. One difference however is that WIP uses the stock kernel which doesn't support ext4. If your a2sd partition currently uses ext4 you'll need to reformat that single partition as ext2 or ext3.

The new radio works fine with UK Orange handsets. Most however will interpret the change much as if you'd swapped to a non Orange SIM. The only solution is to flash back to a previous radio or unlock your handset. If you buy an unlock code this can be entered straight into handset running the new radio; there's no need to flash back, unlock & then restore the new radio. If you prefer, the previous radios will work with WIP. Opinions as to which radio is actually better seem to be mixed.

Most other problems I've seen reported appear to be due to users not fully wiping before flashing the new ROM. 1.5 apps should generally work under 2.1, however when it comes to the new 2.1 apps in the ROM, some will store their data using file formats not compatible with their 1.5 equivalents. Failing to wipe this data before running the new ROM can therefore cause problems.

I ran the new radio for a few days with MCR 3.2 & had to unlock my phone. After that I switched to WIP. This is how I updated from MCR 3.2 to MCR pre 4 WIP:

Full backup with Titanium Backup. Nandroid back up including ext partition. Wipe data, cache & ext partition. As I was using ext4 I reformatted to ext3.

Flash new ROM, boot, do some initial configuration & install my Titanium Backup key. Use TB to restore my third party apps. I chose not to restore any system data, as it's hit & miss as to which won't have changed format between 1.5 & 2.1, but if you need to, a little research should tell you which are safe to restore. Google sync took care of my contacts. Sorted. Oh & I never had to touch the FAT32 partition.

I've had no problems so far. It seems a wee bit laggy to me compared to 3.2, but then I have installed quite a few new apps & widgets, which could easily explain this. I certainly don't want to go back to 1.5. I love the greater range of apps & finally my bluetooth keyboard works ;)

thank you for finally clearing this up! i've been considering upgrading to the WIP, but i've decided i'll probably just wait for the final release. i just reinstalled modaco 3.2 because my phone was extremely laggy, so yeah i don't really need any of the new features (though they would be lovely :()

Guest shokka9
1. There seems to be a lot of misinformation in this thread.

2. There's no change in the filing systems because of the upgrade from 1.5 to 2.1.

3. 1.5 apps should generally work under 2.1, however when it comes to the new 2.1 apps in the ROM, some will store their data using file formats not compatible with their 1.5 equivalents.

4. I chose not to restore any system data, as it's hit & miss as to which won't have changed format between 1.5 & 2.1

You contradict yourself bro.

I said the FS (File System) were different. I was trying to keep it simple (and still will do). 1.5 is different to 2.1, end of.

They have a lot of similarities, but the file structure between the two is not essentially the same. I am not going to go into the exact differences, but as you all know; if you try to flash a 2.1 ROM over a 1.5 without wiping properly and/or cleaning your SD Card, then you will get issues.

I never have issues with any flashes, as i prepare carefully.

Take care.

Guest englishpunk

I'm already using ext3 for my A2SD partition, i intentionally never used ext4 due to lack of official kernel support, so obviously something else not quite right. Anyway, as i say, i'll probably leave it now until the European release, and if i really do have to blow everything away ( even though it's already in the right layout ), then i will do so at that time :(

You contradict yourself bro.

No. As I see from what you subsequently write, you know there is an obvious difference between the filing system, which is kernel level & concerned with how data is written to the hardware, and the format of individual files which is down to the writing application.

I said the FS (File System) were different. I was trying to keep it simple (and still will do). 1.5 is different to 2.1, end of.

Fair dos as you were trying to keep the explanation simple. I thought it made sense to differentiate between the filing system & the data stored within it, as a change to merely the latter means the constant advice to wipe ones entire sd card, re partition & reformat is misguided. Of course I might well have not made that clear enough.

There's always going to be errors in many posts, especially in user lead forums (no doubt often in mine too); I only posted my opinions & experiences as I thought there were more than usual in this thread, diluting its value. Blessed be.

Edited by zorm