Upgrade due in July - What shall i do?

Guest wertyu

Guest wertyu

So my upgrade due in July (currently use Hero). I like the Evo but it isnt available in the UK.

So my question is what HTC options do I have to match the IPhone 4?

Thanks.

Edited by wertyu

Guest TeaSea

My question is why stay with HTC? The best phone HTC has out in this country is the Desire, and whilst that is indeed a damn good phone it's still subject to HTC's arbitrary upgrade policy (ie: We'll release software upgrades if and when we deign to send them out)

If you hold off for a month or two for releases and upgrades and the like you could get a Samsung Galaxy S or whatever they decide to release the Droid 2 or Droid X as.

The Sense UI is good don't get me wrong but I wouldn't discount other manufacturers.

Guest wertyu
My question is why stay with HTC? The best phone HTC has out in this country is the Desire, and whilst that is indeed a damn good phone it's still subject to HTC's arbitrary upgrade policy (ie: We'll release software upgrades if and when we deign to send them out)

If you hold off for a month or two for releases and upgrades and the like you could get a Samsung Galaxy S or whatever they decide to release the Droid 2 or Droid X as.

The Sense UI is good don't get me wrong but I wouldn't discount other manufacturers.

Good call. I mentioned HTC out of habit really. But I'm more concerned with getting the best Android device (rather than HTC). I don't know too much about the Samsung Galaxy model you mentioned -but I'll do some research now.

I am disappointed with HTC that they are giving the IP4 a clear run on the UK market when they already have it beaten with the Evo. But hopefully another manufacturer can step in and prevent me deserting to Jobs' fanboy army.

Guest RockVJ

Well if you currently use the Hero, I'd echo the previous sentiments and wait for a few months. The Desire is an awesome phone, but I'd wait until it receives a 2.2 upgrade and the latest and greatest phones are on the UK market such as the Droid 2/X and Samsung Galaxy S.

My contract (T-Mob) runs out in March next year...I'm hoping the next gen will be out by then - possibly even hold off till next summer to get the first LTE phones in the UK under Orange/T Mob (Everything Everywhere)

Guest wertyu
Well if you currently use the Hero, I'd echo the previous sentiments and wait for a few months. The Desire is an awesome phone, but I'd wait until it receives a 2.2 upgrade and the latest and greatest phones are on the UK market such as the Droid 2/X and Samsung Galaxy S.

My contract (T-Mob) runs out in March next year...I'm hoping the next gen will be out by then - possibly even hold off till next summer to get the first LTE phones in the UK under Orange/T Mob (Everything Everywhere)

From doing my research, it looks like the Galaxy S and Droid X wont be in the Uk for at least another couple of months and will probably be quickly surpassed with more Android devices. While this will always be the case, I'm not sure they are head and shoulders better than anything else available. More kind of the same with a few tweaks. the Dell Streak seems to be quite an interesting option too.

Guest TeaSea

Galaxy S is available on Expansys now if you fancy paying £460 for it :lol:

And of course it's going to be surpassed by other devices quickly, Android phone development and release is storming ahead at an unprecedented rate. The trick is to pick the best phone available to you. Once devices with Froyo come out, I think that's as good a point as any for an upgrade?

Guest Dr. dre
Galaxy S is available on Expansys now if you fancy paying £460 for it :lol:

And of course it's going to be surpassed by other devices quickly, Android phone development and release is storming ahead at an unprecedented rate. The trick is to pick the best phone available to you. Once devices with Froyo come out, I think that's as good a point as any for an upgrade?

Forget Froyo, GingerBread(Android 3) is releasing later this year.

Guest TeaSea
Forget Froyo, GingerBread(Android 3) is releasing later this year.

Yes but wertyu wants an upgrade in the next month or two, not at the end of the year.

I'll be looking for Gingerbread devices as my contract runs out in 2011.

Guest Dr. dre
Yes but wertyu wants an upgrade in the next month or two, not at the end of the year.

No! I mean to say that he should go in for a device which has Froyo Pre-Installed and shouldn't get it as an upgrade and he should go in for a device which has atleast a dual core processor.

Guest wertyu

Yeah precisely. I appreciate what i get in July/August will be overtaken by the turn of next year. I'm just looking for the best (Android) option within the near future. I'll probably buy the handset sime free to avoid any lengthy contracts.

Guest Dr. dre
Yeah precisely. I appreciate what i get in July/August will be overtaken by the turn of next year. I'm just looking for the best (Android) option within the near future. I'll probably buy the handset sime free to avoid any lengthy contracts.

You can also go in for the Motorola Droid X, But again it will be having Android 2.1 as Stock, But it will be upgraded to 2.2 maybe in August.

Guest TeaSea
No! I mean to say that he should go in for a device which has Froyo Pre-Installed and shouldn't get it as an upgrade and he should go in for a device which has atleast a dual core processor.

Yeah that's why I said "Devices with Froyo come out". In hindsight should have made that a bit clearer.

The processor to go for at the moment i'd say is an ARM Cortex A8 used in the likes of the Droid, Droid X, Droid 2 and Samsung Galaxy S. That thing will FLY in comparison to Snapdragon chipsets.

The Droid X will indeed come out with 2.1 but it seems like the Droid 2, which will have a smaller screen mind, has been delayed so it can be released with Froyo.

Guest wertyu
Yeah that's why I said "Devices with Froyo come out". In hindsight should have made that a bit clearer.

The processor to go for at the moment i'd say is an ARM Cortex A8 used in the likes of the Droid, Droid X, Droid 2 and Samsung Galaxy S. That thing will FLY in comparison to Snapdragon chipsets.

The Droid X will indeed come out with 2.1 but it seems like the Droid 2, which will have a smaller screen mind, has been delayed so it can be released with Froyo.

do you know when the Droid X will be released in the UK?

Guest TeaSea

'fraid not but i'd hazard a guess within the next two months?

But whenever it is it'll be under a different name. Verizon has exclusive use of the "Droid" trademark for mobiles, so when they're released in this country it'll be under a different name.

For example, the Droid is known as the Motorola Milestone in the UK.

Guest Dr. dre
do you know when the Droid X will be released in the UK?

It will first be released in the US with Verizon under the name Motorola Droid X, no idea of when it will be launched in UK, but it would definitely be released in another month or two.

Guest buttonsandzips

I am in the same boat. Eligible for an upgrade now so will probably get a new iPhone then eBay it and use the cash for a new Android phone. Galaxy S could be it but all this talk of dual core means I will probably hold off for a month or two. Hero with 2.1 does all I needfor time being, albeit slowly.

Guest masterpfa

If you can make do with your handset until the end of the year, i.e leave your contract do not renew yet, new versions of Android are always accompanied by a new phone, that's I will be doing sticking with my Hero until the Next generation comes out, (Then again my upgrade is not due until Nov/Dec 2010)

Guest buttonsandzips

Now I am on MCR5 I am happy with the Hero. I am certainly going to wait for some new handsets to be released. I know the Desire/Galaxy S are going to be way faster than the hero but they won't do anything more for me day to day that the Hero can't.