Got the 'stalling' problem? Rooted? Try this...

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest VarunRai
I uninstalled Asphalt and Google Earth... so that saved 70MB... but I want those two apps back... but I also want to stop the 'black' screen issue....

what is my best option in order to keep both?

Um, maybe try re-installing them from Market. On beginning the installation I'm guessing an option as where to install it should come up. It did for KO Boxing 2.

Guest FerdiBorbon

how do u know if the job has completed successfully? can i check it on my phone anywhere?

And how to check how much space has been used on the NAND?

I did run into a permission denied when i was doing the (mv /data/data /data/data.bak) command..

i just retyped and all the way to reboot.... so did it work?

Edited by FerdiBorbon

Guest Toreak
I uninstalled Asphalt and Google Earth... so that saved 70MB... but I want those two apps back... but I also want to stop the 'black' screen issue....

what is my best option in order to keep both?

Undo the change by restoring /data/data.bak to /data/data and deleting /dbdata/data. Then follow Vitalijb post http://android.modaco.com/index.php?s=&amp...t&p=1326894

Guest Toreak
how do u know if the job has completed successfully? can i check it on my phone anywhere?

And how to check how much space has been used on the NAND?

I did run into a permission denied when i was doing the (mv /data/data /data/data.bak) command..

i just retyped and all the way to reboot.... so did it work?

You need to have ROOT access else u get the permission denied error. Check space usage of /dbdata partition by running "busybox df -h". Once the steps are completed, you can run "busybox ls -l /data" and see that /data/data is linked to /dbdata/data.

Guest FerdiBorbon
You need to have ROOT access else u get the permission denied error. Check space usage of /dbdata partition by running "busybox df -h". Once the steps are completed, you can run "busybox ls -l /data" and see that /data/data is linked to /dbdata/data.

i do have ROOT i flashed to Paul's MCR R1 rom... can i just redo the steps from the start, will that be ok?

Guest stanleytbc

Hi,

Is it possible can provide a step by step guide how to run these commands?

I've downloaded Android SDK when I tried to run ADB SHELL command it goes into $ when I type SU command it says unknown something...

Please help!!

'

Thanks

Guest Russ-ST24

Checked mine and I had 27MB used in the /data/data so went for it.

What a world of difference it has made to my phone! NewsRob was a bit laggy before and now its lightning fast.

Touchdown was very slow, 2-5 seconds to move from email to email. Now its instant!

Samsung definately missed this one. Nice catch Paul.

Have you informed Samsung so they can fix it when the do 2.2.

Thanks again

Russ

Guest oxylos
Have you informed Samsung so they can fix it when the do 2.2.

Thanks again

Russ

I guess Samsung can't fix it because it's a hardware problem...or what is the reason for the small nand memory (130mb)?

Guest Aris Samsungonian

So what I found reading the topic

Check the size of the folder

adb shell

su

cd /data/data

busybox du -h|busybox grep M
Mine had 42mb Do the trick!
adb shell

su

cp -rp /data/data /dbdata

mv /data/data /data/data.bak

ln -s /dbdata/data /data/data

reboot
Now it has 30MB at /data/data .. Is that right? If you want to undo the changes
adb shell

su

rm /data/data

mv /data/data.bak /data/data

reboot

You do it many times?

Guest Majed.y

Greeting, :lol:

can any one confirm this UNDO steps here? or give us the right steps.

I want to test but need a backup line.

If you want to undo the changes

adb shell

su

rm /data/data

mv /data/data.bak /data/data

reboot

You do it many times?

Guest Darkstriker
I guess Samsung can't fix it because it's a hardware problem...or what is the reason for the small nand memory (130mb)?

Thats not entirely true. The Galaxy S has 2GB of "high-speed" ROM which is more than for example the N1 or the desire. So if that space is (more) efficiently used in the next version, there should be plenty of space. As of now we dont even know what exactly all the other space is used for. So lets wait and see what the devs cook up for us :lol:

Guest us1111

Once again.. Maybe it's possible to do this trick onto a >=class 6 sdcard with an ext2 partition defined? Anyone tried this maybe?

# dd if=/dev/zero of=/sdcard/test.bin count=100000 bs=1024

100000+0 records in

100000+0 records out

102400000 bytes transferred in 19.329 secs (5297739 bytes/sec)

# hdparm  -tT /dev/block/vold/179:1 # SDCARD

/dev/block/vold/179:1:

Timing buffer-cache reads: hdparm: HDIO_DRIVE_CMD: Inappropriate ioctl for device

268 MB in 0.51 seconds = 536084 kB/s

Timing buffered disk reads:   31 MB in 3.07 seconds = 10337 kB/s	 

hdparm: HDIO_DRIVE_CMD: Inappropriate ioctl for device
# dd if=/dev/zero of=/sdcard/sd/test.bin count=100000 bs=1024

100000+0 records in

100000+0 records out

102400000 bytes transferred in 18.526 secs (5527366 bytes/sec)

# hdparm -tT /dev/block/vold/179:9 # External SDCARD

/dev/block/vold/179:9:

Timing buffer-cache reads: hdparm: HDIO_DRIVE_CMD: Inappropriate ioctl for device

324 MB in 0.50 seconds = 650598 kB/s

Timing buffered disk reads:   42 MB in 3.04 seconds = 14113 kB/s

hdparm: HDIO_DRIVE_CMD: Inappropriate ioctl for device
# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dbdata/test.bin count=100000 bs=1024	   

100000+0 records in

100000+0 records out

102400000 bytes transferred in 15.657 secs (6540205 bytes/sec)

# hdparm  -tT /dev/block/stl10 # /dbdata

/dev/block/stl10: 

Timing buffer-cache reads:   394 MB in 0.51 seconds = 789914 kB/s

Timing buffered disk reads:   76 MB in 3.01 seconds = 25851 kB/s

Speeds of the internal card is not dramatic at all in relation to an class6 sdcard?

Edited by us1111

Guest Daniel L

Have a Problem... :lol:

1. Installed the new Custom ROM from PAUL.

2. Installed busybox from the market.

3. I started busybox, made an update to the latest version

4. I started Superuser and i see a busybox entry with a green button.

5. Enable the USB Debug Mode.

6. PlugIn to PC

7. type in CMD "adb-windows shell"

8. type in "su"

9. Permission denied.

forget anything? :D

Edited by Daniel L

Guest Paul
Thats not entirely true. The Galaxy S has 2GB of "high-speed" ROM which is more than for example the N1 or the desire. So if that space is (more) efficiently used in the next version, there should be plenty of space. As of now we dont even know what exactly all the other space is used for. So lets wait and see what the devs cook up for us :lol:

That 'high-speed ROM' is an internal SD card and the cause of this problem.

P

Guest Irenicusjd
That 'high-speed ROM' is an internal SD card and the cause of this problem.

P

So what is the size of the nand then?

Guest Kilack
Once again.. Maybe it's possible to do this trick onto a >=class 6 sdcard with an ext2 partition defined? Anyone tried this maybe?

Speeds of the internal card is not dramatic at all in relation to an class6 sdcard?

Yes is this possible? and why only class 6? don't we have class 10 cards out there now?

I'd happily get one if it solved the issue, is it going to be fast enough?

Some speed data on the kingston class 10 16gig microsd card

http://www.ocworkbench.com/2010/KINGSTON/K...C-Review/p2.htm

Edited by Kilack

Guest IBTECH

How to move specific apps to NAND.

In this example moving Nitrodesk Touchdown:

adb shell

su

cd /dbdata

mkdir data

cp -rp /data/data/com.nitrodesk.droid20.nitroid /dbdata/data/ >> Copies the data to NAND

rm -r /data/data/com.nitrodesk.droid20.nitroid >> Deletes data from original location.

ln -s /dbdata/data/com.nitrodesk.droid20.nitroid /data/data/com.nitrodesk.droid20.nitroid >> creates the link to the NAND location

reboot

To revert:

adb shell

su

rm /data/data/com.nitrodesk.droid20.nitroid >> delete link

cp -rp /dbdata/data/com.nitrodesk.droid20.nitroid /data/data/ >> Move data from NAND to original location.

rm -r /dbdata/data/com.nitrodesk.droid20.nitroid Deletes from NAND

reboot

Edited by IBTECH

Guest justadude

Can confirm this works with the T-Mobile US Vibrant, had to modify the updater-script within update.zip:

assert(getprop("ro.product.device") == "GT-I5800" ||

getprop("ro.build.product") == "GT-I5800" ||

getprop("ro.product.device") == "GT-I9000" ||

getprop("ro.build.product") == "GT-I9000" ||

getprop("ro.product.device") == "SGH-T959" ||

getprop("ro.build.product") == "SGH-T959"

);

Had to prepend busybox on the terminal commands, after this the device flies like it should.

Edited by justadude

Guest mbr01

What's the deal with all these different kinds of memory in this phone, i'm quite confused.

So there is 8gb of internal memory, 6GB of which is mounted as 'internal' sd card. And 2GB which is for installing apps, called ROM (right?)

Then you also have the option of putting in an external sd-card. As us1111 tested a few posts above, all these 3 memory locations (6 speed sd-card) have comparable speeds.

Then there is 512MB of RAM memory. Which is super fast and volatile.

So (Paul?) where is the location of this acclaimed super fast 130MB of NAND memory? Because i thought that the 2GB available for apps (ROM) is called NAND-memory as well as the 6GB of internal SD as well as the memory used in any SD-card actually.

Or am i'm missing something? There must be quite an improvement, hearing everybody here on the forum. But how do you explain the fact that a fresh phone works fine (in my case), but a phone that has been played with during the day may get stalling problems. The data of the programs that were used in 'the morning' is stored at the same place of the programs that you use in 'the evening'. Can someone please reply a clear answer in reply post? Thanks!

Edited by mbr01

Guest bigbadwolfie

Installing Google Earth hits this '120Mb' quite hard, it's single .so file is over 17Mb in size.

On my Galaxy S I decided to 'suffer' the pain of a slow start for Google Earth and move the library back to 'slow' disk. To do this I deleted /data/data/com.google.earth, remembering that Paul's instructions backed-up the old /data/data to /data/data.bak, then a symbolic link was created in /data/data to point to the /data/data.bak/com.google.earth

So to recap.....

adb shell

su

rm -R /data/data/com.google.earth

ln -s /data/data.bak/com.google.earth /data/data/com.google.earth

The same can be done for apps. like Navigon @17Mb, Copilot @7Mb, [email protected] if you so desire.

This will certainly help if, like me, you like to install some heavyweight applications.

Guest bigbadwolfie
What's the deal with all these different kinds of memory in this phone, i'm quite confused.

So there is 8gb of internal memory, 6GB of which is mounted as 'internal' sd card. And 2GB which is for installing apps, called ROM (right?)

Then you also have the option of putting in an external sd-card. As us1111 tested a few posts above, all these 3 memory locations (6 speed sd-card) have comparable speeds.

So (Paul?) where is the location of this acclaimed super fast 130MB of NAND memory? Because i thought that the 2GB available for apps (ROM) is called NAND-memory as well as the 6GB of internal SD as well as the memory used in any SD-card actually.

Or am i'm missing something? There must be quite an improvement, hearing everybody here on the forum. But how do you explain the fact that a fresh phone works fine (in my case), but a phone that has been played with during the day may get stalling problems. The data of the programs that were used in 'the morning' is stored at the same place of the programs that you use in 'the evening'. Can someone please reply a clear answer in reply post? Thanks!

On my SGS here is the disk free on the various mount points :

rootfs / rootfs ro 0 0

tmpfs /dev tmpfs rw,mode=755 0 0

devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,mode=600 0 0

proc /proc proc rw 0 0

sysfs /sys sysfs rw 0 0

/dev/block/stl6 /mnt/.lfs j4fs rw 0 0

tmpfs /sqlite_stmt_journals tmpfs rw,size=4096k 0 0

none /dev/cpuctl cgroup rw,cpu 0 0

/dev/block/stl9 /system rfs rw,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,iocharset=utf8 0 0

/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /data rfs rw,nosuid,nodev,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,iocharset=utf8 0 0

/dev/block/stl10 /dbdata rfs rw,nosuid,nodev,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,iocharset=utf8 0 0

/dev/block/stl11 /cache rfs rw,nosuid,nodev,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,iocharset=utf8 0 0

/dev/block/stl3 /efs rfs rw,nosuid,nodev,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,iocharset=utf8 0 0

/dev/block//vold/179:1 /sdcard vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,uid=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0102,dmask=0002,allow_uti

e=0020,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0

/dev/block//vold/179:9 /sdcard/sd vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,uid=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0000,dmask=0000,allow_uti

e=0022,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0

/dev: 166708K total, 0K used, 166708K available (block size 4096)

/sqlite_stmt_journals: 4096K total, 0K used, 4096K available (block size 4096)

/system: 282432K total, 240844K used, 41588K available (block size 4096)

/data: 1963904K total, 282272K used, 1681632K available (block size 16384)

/dbdata: 109760K total, 69056K used, 40704K available (block size 4096) <----- this is where Paul moved the /data/data to

/cache: 30784K total, 1636K used, 29148K available (block size 4096)

/efs: 6064K total, 4103K used, 1961K available (block size 1024)

/sdcard: 14086752K total, 2650144K used, 11436608K available (block size 32768)

/sdcard/sd: 1983360K total, 1971808K used, 11552K available (block size 32768)

The two in bold are the mount points/directories in question, the /data being on the much slower 2Gb(...ish) partition (/dev/block/mmcblk0p2) whilst the /dbdata which holds the Android's databases and with Paul's 'fix' the application libraries exists on the smaller, yet faster 113Mb partition (/dev/block/stl10)

Hope this helps!

Guest aeo087

I'm very confused about the memory in this phone as well... I got the 16gb version, it should be arriving tomorrow, I'll have to see how memory is distributed in that one. I really hope Samsung didn't handicap this phone due to some weird memory configuration.... Paul if you can, could you clarify what you know so far about this memory?

As always, thanks a lot for your work Paul! This phone has me pretty motivated and inspired, so hopefully after I look at more dumps and code, I'll be able to be helpful to the Galaxy S community as well :lol: