AppBrain / Fast Web Install

Guest PaulOBrien

appbrain1.pngappbrain2.pngappbrain3.pngappbrain4.png

Welcome to 'Paul's App of the Day', where I pick one of my favourite apps as featured app of the day! Today, the first app of the day is technically two apps but it's the perfect start to the series...

AppBrain / Fast Web Install

What they say

AppBrain

Finally it's possible to install Android apps from a web interface!

Browse the app market on www.appbrain.com from a desktop computer and use this app to install and uninstall apps with a sync!

- app recommendations
- share apps (eg twitter / facebook)
- hot apps
- use "Fast Web Installer" for one-click install from web

Fast Web Installer

Install apps directly from appbrain.com in your web browser to your phone.
For ALL Android versions!

See developers webpage (below) for more info. Credentials are needed to grant permission to do this, the FAQ has more info.

Should now work on custom ROMs.

What we say

One of the challenges to platforms that have a huge Market full of application is application discovery. Sometimes it's not easy to find new apps and install them on your device itself... word of mouth and friend recommendations are generally the way things get found. The AppBrain solution as a whole helps ease this pain.
  • AppBrain on your device allows you to browse apps, see popular apps and see customised recommendations directly from your phone. It also syncs with the AppBrain website...
  • AppBrain on the web allows you to do the same things you can in the AppBrain app on your device, on the web, with all the benefits that brings - more real estate, an easier 'browsing' experience and so on. Authenticated via your Google Account it allows you to 'Fast Web Install'...
  • Fast Web Installer on your device allows your device to receive 'pushed apps' from the AppBrain website. That is to say, when you see an app on the AppBrain site you want to install, you simply click it on the website and FastWebInstaller will automatically install it on your phone with no user intervention required. Neat huh?

Social features are built into the website / app to allow you to share apps with your friends, and in general it's a much improved all round application experience, particularly in the absence of an 'official google' full Market website or desktop Market client a-la-iTunes.

Permissions

AppBrain - GET_TASKS / INTERNET / com.android.launcher.permission.INSTALL_SHORTCUT
Fast Web Installer - GET_ACCOUNTS / INTERNET / USE_CREDENTIALS / com.google.android.providers.gsf.permission.READ_GSERVICES

Download

AppBrain - http://www.cyrket.com/p/android/com.appspo...demonkeys.apps/
Fast Web Installer - http://www.cyrket.com/p/android/com.appspo...keys.apppusher/

QRcode

To use, install 'Barcode Scanner' from the Android Market.

appbrain.qrcode.pngfastwebinstaller.qrcode.png

Price

FREE! We like that! :D

Market star rating at time of writing

App Brain - 4.52
Fast Web Installer - 4.59

Version at time of writing

AppBrain - 3.2
Fast Web Installer - 1.1

Similar / Alternative apps

There's no other apps that fulfil the exact same purpose as these two, but you could also check out AppAware or My Market and the Cyrket website.

Suggested improvements for the next version

It's pretty good already, but as with all apps that show adverts, I would like to see a low cost donate option that removes advertising.

Have your say

Fan of AppBrain? Found something better? Just wanna share your experiences? Post below! :angry:

Guest chiefcamaro

Cool, I've used it on an Iphone and I liked it. Now installing it on my Desire. Paul tnx

Edited by chiefcamaro

Guest Dan Mullen

I've been using AppBrain for a few weeks and it's fantastic! Much easier than searching for apps on the phone, and a great way of keeping a backup listing of what you have installed. useful when trying out different ROMs.

Guest Ricocchet

Its a first class application, had it on my Desire now for a couple of months.

Gives you recommendations to DECENT applications and not just any old rubbish.

First class App.

If you havent installed it, then please do it today :angry:

You wont regret it.

Love the idea of Pauls App of the Day!

Good stuff Paul

Edited by Ricocchet

Guest andre_bxt

I've been on Android for 9 days and Appbrain was one of the first apps I found and really really liked. If the quality of your App of the Day will remain on this level - I reckon my Android will become self aware before too long :angry:

Thanks Paul for your work!

Guest Streetdaddy

It is indeed an awesome app - the only downside is the amount of apps you'll end up installing out of sheer curiousity!

Guest pug11111

been using this app for time it's really good only down side is if you install apps straight to your phone from your computer it keeps taking you to the market to reinstall them instead of reading them as installed apps

Guest Shizophren

Great app so far, but did anyone figured out how to add a friend there?

I don't mean the suscribtion feature. I mean to add a friend who has access to e.g. my private app-list...

I don't want to announce my whole app-list. I only want to let friends have access to them.

Guest Entreated

Have been using AppBrain but never knew about Fast Web Installer..

Much appreciated, makes installing apps that extra bit faster and easier now..

BTW great edition to the site.

Guest philos64

I use AppBrain since some time already; I synchronized my Hero with AppBrain. In case of loss of application, I come on AppBrain and I find all my applis.

I didn't know Fast Web Install, I am going to try.

Say to me Paul, in when a version finalized for Hero in 2.1? Thank you for your answer.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Tried this on my desire HD, says it doesnt work with android 2.2. Anyway round this??

Ditto???? I'm on 2.2 and says Google don't allow it in the uk or something on Android. That right????