3G issues (T-Mobile)

Guest DFSVegas

Guest DFSVegas

I don't even know where to start, but here it goes...

Ok, I upgraded to FRF91 about 3 weeks ago I believe. I wasn't having any problems for about a week, and they I started dropping 3G data every hour or so. After a few minutes, it would work again. I live a place with great reception, so I've never even seen it under 4 bars, so I don't think that's the issue. Now, all of a sudden today, I'm getting nothing. When I reboot my phone, 3G data takes about a minute to start working, it works fine for about a minute, and then it stops, and never works again. 4 bars, but no data will load. I tried installing this radio image...

http://android.modaco.com/content/google-n...32u-5-08-00-04/

And it's not helping. I don't really know what to do. EDGE works fine, unfortunately, I'm staying in a hotel that charges $20 for internet, so my only internet connection here has been tethering through my N1. Trying to trouble shoot my N1 through my computer on an EDGE network that goes through said phone, quite frankly, has been a nightmare. I've pretty much given up, and I just want somebody to help me. I don't want to keep downloading 80 MB files on an EDGE network, only to find out they don't work.

If anybody can help, I would be beyond appreciative. Here's the only theories I can think of...

1. I need to downgrade to the first Froyo build's baseband - I think this may be it, but I don't know where to find said image file. Also, I don't remember what the orignal froyo leaked build was (I went from that to FRF91). Google has shown me that a few others are having problems with 3G on FRF91, so I know I'm not alone with this issue.

2. There's some kind of 3G data outage in Austin, TX - This may also be a possibilty, but I haven't found any proof of any T-Mobile data issues anywhere, let alone in Austin, TX specifically. I do feel like this MAY be a possibility because of the inconsistant nature of my 3G data over the past week or so, but like I said, I've found no proof.

3. t's a hardware problem - I don't think this is the case though. I haven't done anything that might have harmed the phone for at least a month, and 3G has worked fine. Even today, in those burst where it does work, I've been getting great speeds. The 3G chip appears to be fine.

With all the ROMs i've installed, I've dialed *#*#4636#*#* to adjust my phone settings, but nothing has helped. I'm seriously at a loss, and it's absolutely maddening.

I'm currently running Modaco's r21 custom FRF91 rom on the 32.36.00.28U_4.06.00.12_7 baseband. If there's any other info you need, or if anything I said is unclear, let me know, and I'll be more than happy to clear it up.

**EDIT**

Well, I'm 99% it's a hardware issue. I just found my G1, put my sim card in, and 3G worked fine.

Edited by DFSVegas

Guest David Ferguson

I had the same issue and discovered that it was switch pro from the market that was effecting the APN data settings, once I removed this and re-input the tmobile APN settings all has been fine.

Hope this is your problem.

Dave

Guest DFSVegas
I had the same issue and discovered that it was switch pro from the market that was effecting the APN data settings, once I removed this and re-input the tmobile APN settings all has been fine.

Hope this is your problem.

Dave

Naw, I don't think I've ever installed that.

Guest fuzio1963
I don't even know where to start, but here it goes...

Ok, I upgraded to FRF91 about 3 weeks ago I believe. I wasn't having any problems for about a week, and they I started dropping 3G data every hour or so. After a few minutes, it would work again. I live a place with great reception, so I've never even seen it under 4 bars, so I don't think that's the issue. Now, all of a sudden today, I'm getting nothing. When I reboot my phone, 3G data takes about a minute to start working, it works fine for about a minute, and then it stops, and never works again. 4 bars, but no data will load. I tried installing this radio image...

http://android.modaco.com/content/google-n...32u-5-08-00-04/

And it's not helping. I don't really know what to do. EDGE works fine, unfortunately, I'm staying in a hotel that charges $20 for internet, so my only internet connection here has been tethering through my N1. Trying to trouble shoot my N1 through my computer on an EDGE network that goes through said phone, quite frankly, has been a nightmare. I've pretty much given up, and I just want somebody to help me. I don't want to keep downloading 80 MB files on an EDGE network, only to find out they don't work.

If anybody can help, I would be beyond appreciative. Here's the only theories I can think of...

1. I need to downgrade to the first Froyo build's baseband - I think this may be it, but I don't know where to find said image file. Also, I don't remember what the orignal froyo leaked build was (I went from that to FRF91). Google has shown me that a few others are having problems with 3G on FRF91, so I know I'm not alone with this issue.

2. There's some kind of 3G data outage in Austin, TX - This may also be a possibilty, but I haven't found any proof of any T-Mobile data issues anywhere, let alone in Austin, TX specifically. I do feel like this MAY be a possibility because of the inconsistant nature of my 3G data over the past week or so, but like I said, I've found no proof.

3. t's a hardware problem - I don't think this is the case though. I haven't done anything that might have harmed the phone for at least a month, and 3G has worked fine. Even today, in those burst where it does work, I've been getting great speeds. The 3G chip appears to be fine.

With all the ROMs i've installed, I've dialed *#*#4636#*#* to adjust my phone settings, but nothing has helped. I'm seriously at a loss, and it's absolutely maddening.

I'm currently running Modaco's r21 custom FRF91 rom on the 32.36.00.28U_4.06.00.12_7 baseband. If there's any other info you need, or if anything I said is unclear, let me know, and I'll be more than happy to clear it up.

**EDIT**

Well, I'm 99% it's a hardware issue. I just found my G1, put my sim card in, and 3G worked fine.

You are not the only one :angry: read here

Guest mrishi

I think T-Mobile is having HSPA+ turned on in Austin by 21st may be this is related. Today i am seeing 4mbps in North Austin

Guest wdfowty

I feel that the new 508 radio improved my reception and data speeds. I used to get absolutely no service in my house, then I installed said radio and I was seeing 3g connections throughout my house. I did a speed test with 2 bars of 3g and averaged over 1mbps download and like 256kbps upload. With good signal (ie 4 bars strong) I easily see over 3mbps download, and HSPA+ hasn't even rolled out in my area yet.

My advice to you, wipe data/factory reset or change roms...see if that makes any difference.

Guest DFSVegas
I think T-Mobile is having HSPA+ turned on in Austin by 21st may be this is related. Today i am seeing 4mbps in North Austin

Yeah, I went to sleep last night, nothing was working, woke up today, and now it's working. Still don't understand how my G1 was working fine last night.

T-Mobile needs to warn about severe outages like that, so idiot's like me don't spend 8 hours pulling their hair out, lol.

Thanks to those who did help though, I love this site.

Guest Strongy

I've been experiencing the same thing. Has the evidence shown that it's just the HSPA+ upgrade messing things up for a little while? Because when they first announced it, I got great speeds for a while, but for the past couple of weeks or so, the phone gets stuck on EDGE and won't budge. If I reboot the phone, I can get 3g for a while, as long as the data doesn't stop, but if I get more than 20 or so seconds no data usage, it goes to Edge until I reboot the phone again.

Guest DFSVegas
I've been experiencing the same thing. Has the evidence shown that it's just the HSPA+ upgrade messing things up for a little while? Because when they first announced it, I got great speeds for a while, but for the past couple of weeks or so, the phone gets stuck on EDGE and won't budge. If I reboot the phone, I can get 3g for a while, as long as the data doesn't stop, but if I get more than 20 or so seconds no data usage, it goes to Edge until I reboot the phone again.

I think that's the case. A little past midnight here in Austin (making it the 21st, the day they were scheduled to update our area), I started having issues again. It's going fine now at 1:30, and I don't know if I'll get any more problems, but I'm fairly confident this is the issue.

Which makes me wonder why this hasn't be reported on any blogs. I feel like I'm owed some kind of refund. The last month has been pretty ridiculous.