27/Jul r3b MG Custom Rom for pulse mini

Guest gforums

Guest Mental_Atom

Detailed ROM review my mental_atom (r3):

Before i start, you should know that I know nothing about android and how it works so this is purely a user based review:

General Ease of Use:

Ease of use for me would appear to have improved greatly with this ROM, the speed is much faster in all menus and general operations you will do all the time for example opening and browsing the app drawer, this is much improved from the default T-mobile ROM which was slow and sluggish at best. The phone in general seems a lot more responsive than before and is therefore SO many times easier to use and handle.

Theme:

Not much to say here, but the espresso mod (or whatever the theme is called) looks awesome on the pulse mini and is again a million times better than the stock T-mobile pink skin (but then again, that wouldn't be hard). It gives the phone a nicer feel I think so it seems a lot nicer to use as it is more pleasing to the eye.

Storage:

The inclusion of apps2sd is very very very useful as the pulse mini for me seemed to have a bit of a cramped space for apps and you ended up juggling what to install, but with this there is now so much room you can install tonnes more apps than before and they run a lot faster due to the performance improvements which i mentioned in the first section.

Applications:

The gallery has been replaced by a nice pretty 3D one which runs fairly smoothly on the mini but can lag a bit due to the lack of hardware acceleration, but it is hardly a problem.

The dialer/contacts/call log app is much nicer than before but there does seem to be a bug with copying contacts to and from the SIM card but hopefully this can be fixed (I have no idea)

Music player is so much better and actually has decent features and organisation. Just try and you will see its hard to explain how it is better, it just IS.

Hmmm... thats all I can think of but if you think of more categories let me know and i will continue. I'm just rubbish at thinking of categories.

Guest gforums

r3b is online

I replaced the contacts app. Its not more as nice as the previous one, but its working better.

Searching for contacts still works over menu.

FLB custom scripts removed.

Edited by gforums

Guest Simon O
r3b is online

I replaced the contacts app. Its not more as nice as the previous one, but its working better.

Searching for contacts still works over menu.

FLB custom scripts removed.

they wouldn't have worked on the Pulse Mini anyway :(

Guest gforums
they wouldn't have worked on the Pulse Mini anyway

ah..ok :(

So ASE probably was working but the scripts F it to C.

Anyway. No need for ASE so long....

Edited by gforums

Guest Gjole86

i guess ill stay on r3 as i like this dialer/contacts/log app. trying to get old gallery back no success so far ..

btw forums look nice on opera mini 5.1 :(

Guest tymchn

I agree with everyone else, the response of r3 (I haven't flashed r3b) is a great improvement over the stock rom. I have also noticed a slightly different quirk with the contacts app. All my numbers are synchronised across from my Google account, but they all show up under Z. This means I can't scroll down the list by letter. I effectively have one long list... not a serious problem mind.

Gallery app also is very pretty but I think we might be pushing the Pulse mini a bit hard. Perhaps the option of using the more basic/responsive version is worth considering?

And I would just like to vote for my favourite Home app, Helix Launcher. I did check out the others but I keep coming back to it.

So in summary an incredible rom, congratulations and please do keep up the good work! :(

Guest spaceboy_100

I have been using r3b since yesterday and so far no complaints. Everything seems to work well. I didn't really like the standard 3D menu, but that is just personal preference.

I still can't access my memory card over USB. I have tried reinstalling the stock ROM and it worked fine, but then when I updated to r3b again it stops working. This might be just me though.

I would echo other peoples positive comments - this is the best mod I have tried so far.

Many thanks

Guest Gjole86

i had no probs with SD card over usb. did u wiped data / dalvik?

btw u cant access SD card over usb while android running or u cant access SD when in recovery?

Edited by Gjole86

Guest fredfox_uk

Loving R3b :( Only issues I've found is Fancy Widget doesn't save the settings, and when the screen turns off and wi-fi disconnects, it doesn't reconnect when I turn the phone back on. Battery useage seems quite high, but that could be that I'm messing around with it so much and I've only had it three days :(

Everything else is great :P Thanks for all your work.

Guest Gjole86

i found some fancy bootanimation starts with Win7 animation and goes into nexus X style :( works ok on my mini.

PS: it is the animation zip file, dont flash it, just replace it with root explorer. requires root ofc. its in /system/media/bootanimation.zip

have fun

bootanimation.zip

Guest gforums
Loving R3b smile.gif Only issues I've found is Fancy Widget doesn't save the settings

You can try deleting the fancy widget settings in /data/data.

There's a folder for fancy widget. You need r/w access, so try it with root explorer.

Battery useage seems quite high, but that could be that I'm messing around with it so much and I've only had it three days

Could well be :-) The rom is in no way battery optimized, but I don't see any reason why it should drain more battery than the original rom.

Guest fredfox_uk
You can try deleting the fancy widget settings in /data/data.

There's a folder for fancy widget. You need r/w access, so try it with root explorer.

Could well be :-) The rom is in no way battery optimized, but I don't see any reason why it should drain more battery than the original rom.

Thanks I'll give it go :(

I didn't give the original ROM a chance, I probably ran it for about 20 minutes before I flashed your ROM, so can't compare to original :( I'll see what it's like when I stop messing about !

Guest Mental_Atom
i found some fancy bootanimation starts with Win7 animation and goes into nexus X style :( works ok on my mini.

PS: it is the animation zip file, dont flash it, just replace it with root explorer. requires root ofc. its in /system/media/bootanimation.zip

have fun

Now that is one nice boot animation!

Guest mczack

hi bit of a newbie great work on the rom it looks great i tried to upgrade to r3b (ive been using r3) and when its loaded i get a message about core cant remember all the message and also when i upgrade do i follow all the instructions or do i just flash the rom (i just flashed r3b without wiping data)-(not keen on the menu)

Guest Simon O

that apk really should be removed from the rom. if you know how to use adb you should be able to delete it by mounting the system drive first.

adb remount
adb shell
rm /system/app/CustomAPKsHidden*[/code]

Edited by flibblesan

Guest Gjole86
that apk really should be removed from the rom. if you know how to use adb you should be able to delete it by mounting the system drive first.

maybe u wanna clean the rom a bit? :( like de-odex it and remove all crap that is not needed :(

Guest fredfox_uk

After having R3b running for most of the day, the phone started to re-boot or after the screen turned off it wouldn't wake up again, taking the battery out was the only solution. I tried to reflash after wiping everything, but it looped after the re-booting once I'd installed from the recovery mode. I wiped everything again and successfully installed, however, during the configuration of the google account I got this message :- android.process.acore has stopped unexpectedly I got it the first time too, I just didn't worry about it :P This time I thought I'd let you know :( I'll see what happens, and I'm keeping an eye on what I install and mess about with - no idea if it's connected but this did happen after I messed with Fancy Widget but even un-installing it didn't stop the re-boots.

One request, is it possible it make the pattern lock screen bigger ? It's so small that I keep getting the wrong pattern. Thanks :(

Guest Simon O
ah..ok :(

So ASE probably was working but the scripts F it to C.

Anyway. No need for ASE so long....

Not the scripts causing the FC. You didn't add the required library to the /system/lib folder :(

libcom_google_ase_Exec.so

anyway unless you have some scripts it's not worth adding.

Guest gforums
Not the scripts causing the FC. You didn't add the required library to the /system/lib folder

yep :-) that's right...

that apk really should be removed from the rom.

will be removed within the next release.

After having R3b running for most of the day, the phone started to re-boot or after the screen turned off it wouldn't wake up again, taking the battery out was the only solution. I tried to reflash after wiping everything, but it looped after the re-booting once I'd installed from the recovery mode. I wiped everything again and successfully installed, however, during the configuration of the google account I got this message :- android.process.acore has stopped unexpectedly

Hmm..I'm running r3b on my pulse too at the moment. Hadn't had these issues yet but will see if it occurs again. Sorry for that!

hi bit of a newbie great work on the rom it looks great i tried to upgrade to r3b (ive been using r3) and when its loaded i get a message about core cant remember all the message and also when i upgrade do i follow all the instructions or do i just flash the rom (i just flashed r3b without wiping data)-(not keen on the menu)

also got that core message once. As it didn't come back then, I ignored it.

One request, is it possible it make the pattern lock screen bigger ?

Hmm I don't know in which APK the pattern lock is stored. Anyone knows? By modifying it, we could make it larger perhaps.

Again some hints if you should run into problems:

- If changing the microsd card, use the recovery partioning tool. I tried partitioning using gparted and linux, but that caused many FCs.

- To have a full fresh install, partion the sd card (all data on it will be lost), wipe data/factory rest, wipe dalvik-cache

- Then copy the rom over to the sd card again and flash it.

If you still encounter problems then, I am sorry for that. Maybe someone finds fixes for these problems.

Or stick with the original rom. But I bet you won't :(.

Or try mikes rom...!

Edited by gforums

Guest vulpy

I haven't used my mini over the last couple of weeks due to the miserable firmware T-Mobile, slugginess, lousyness. .. your rom brought it back to life, amazingly work bro' ! stable WiFi tethering made it shine. keep up your great work!

Guest xdandroid

adb remount

adb shell

rm /system/app/CustomAPKsHidden*

hmm but how do you get adb access (on Windows 7) to the pulse mini? it's not recognized by adb in windows... do i just have to install the windows drivers?

Guest gforums

You must use the ADB drivers, that are on the mini's virtual CD drive. There's an setup.exe on the CD which installs the drivers.

As I had issues with the digital signature of the adb driver, I needed to start windows with deactivated driver signature check. That's done by pressing F8 while booting Windows7 and then choosing the equivalent option from the windows bootmenu.

that way you get adb access to the phone!