Samsung Galaxy s i9000 Mic sensitivity recording

Guest dagrim1

Guest dagrim1

I am loving the galaxy s so far (running JM2 atm) but my biggest problem with it (atm) is the sound when recording a video...

The mic is way too sensitive, recorded something at a concert 2 days ago (the pogues, so no metal/extreme stuff) and even when standing way in the back the sound was just one big noise and you really couldn't distinguish the music. Already when just in a car with the music on its noticable. The video is great, the audio is horrible.

I mailed samsung about it and got a standard response (we're currently developing a new firmware, please keep an eye on the samsung site) and I guess it won't change a thing (since JM2 has the same issue still). I didn't check it with froyo, might reflash it just to give it a try, but for now it's pretty useless.

I saw some stuff about increasing earphone quality through the service mode, but I have no clue what all the settings do and didn't find anything really directly related to recording.

In this thread:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=721069

They talk about the same issue on an omnia hd, there seems to be a fix for it but the supplied code doesn't work (and the menus mentioned are not present in the galaxy's service mdoe)...

Does anyone here have the same problem, is the issue still present on JP3?

Can anyone give some more information about the various settings in the service mode so I can start lpaying around there?

Cheers!

ps. I included an attachment with an mp3 of the video recorded to explain the issue...

To give an impression of the kind of music:

(The Pogues, Melkweg 2010)

video_2010_08_01_22_10_37.mp3

Guest Compuse

Beginners problems, everybody is drooling over their phones the first days, mic get's blocked like that! :)

No i noticed being overwhelmed by intergalactic signals while recording as well, haven't been able to deceiver them

Guest chookmeister69

Yes, this is a known issue I have been trying to resolve since I got the phone. I have a fairly loud voice so even talking on the phone, I get people tell me I'm coming through all distorted so they say "What?" Before I knew what it was I would say it again even louder and the problem would be worse. Now I actually lower my voice and then they can hear me fine.

I know there is a setting in the "Secret Menu" That will probably fix the issue but I'm too scared to play in there :-)

Guest dagrim1
Yes, this is a known issue I have been trying to resolve since I got the phone. I have a fairly loud voice so even talking on the phone, I get people tell me I'm coming through all distorted so they say "What?" Before I knew what it was I would say it again even louder and the problem would be worse. Now I actually lower my voice and then they can hear me fine.

I know there is a setting in the "Secret Menu" That will probably fix the issue but I'm too scared to play in there :-)

Yeah, been looking through the secret menus but the first tries didn't seem to help anything... Also, a reset resets those values I believe so that would mean changing those things each time after a reset.

Damn annoying, such great video quality but unusable audio...

Guest ilcello

By experimenting in the secret menu I did find a way to change the mic sensitivity, but it only works for calls:

*#*#19732864040#*#*

[5] AUDIO

[1] HANDSET

[1] VOLUME

[6] I2S1 Rx Gain: Default to 0x38e8 on my phone. You can change it to something lower to reduce the mic sensitivity during a call.

or

[4] DST Speech TX Volume: Default to 98 on my phone. Again, you can change it to something lower to reduce the mic sensitivity during a call.

Unfortunately this does not work for audio or video recording.

I am not sure exactly where the 2 different gains get appplied in the audio chain, and if either of them is applied before the clipping occurs.

I tried to play about also with the mic sensitivity in AUDIO -> HANDSET -> Diamond Solution -> DYVE -> mic_sensitivity but that doesn't seem to make any difference.

BTW, did any of you notice aliasing at the higher frequencies (>8kHz for WB AMR recording, > 11.025 for 22.05kHz raw recording) or is my phone that's dodgy? I tried to record a frequency sweep and I get tones of aliasing (i.e. 12kHz sine wave will be aliased to 10kHz at 22kHz sampling rate, rather than being filtered out). Or is this another known issue?

Edited by ilcello

Guest Kilack
By experimenting in the secret menu I did find a way to change the mic sensitivity, but it only works for calls:

*#*#19732864040#*#*

[5] AUDIO

[1] HANDSET

[1] VOLUME

[6] I2S1 Rx Gain: Default to 0x38e8 on my phone. You can change it to something lower to reduce the mic sensitivity during a call.

or

[4] DST Speech TX Volume: Default to 98 on my phone. Again, you can change it to something lower to reduce the mic sensitivity during a call.

Unfortunately this does not work for audio or video recording.

I am not sure exactly where the 2 different gains get appplied in the audio chain, and if either of them is applied before the clipping occurs.

I tried to play about also with the mic sensitivity in AUDIO -> HANDSET -> Diamond Solution -> DYVE -> mic_sensitivity but that doesn't seem to make any difference.

BTW, did any of you notice aliasing at the higher frequencies (>8kHz for WB AMR recording, > 11.025 for 22.05kHz raw recording) or is my phone that's dodgy? I tried to record a frequency sweep and I get tones of aliasing (i.e. 12kHz sine wave will be aliased to 10kHz at 22kHz sampling rate, rather than being filtered out). Or is this another known issue?

cool, even for calls ill be happier, does it save over reboots?

I upgraded to jm5 today and called my wife and she asked if I was using speaker phone because i sounded distorted... not sure if ti was the new firmware or just the mic in general.. but definitely want to turn it down a bit..

Guest esp_leo
I am loving the galaxy s so far (running JM2 atm) but my biggest problem with it (atm) is the sound when recording a video...

The mic is way too sensitive, recorded something at a concert 2 days ago (the pogues, so no metal/extreme stuff) and even when standing way in the back the sound was just one big noise and you really couldn't distinguish the music. Already when just in a car with the music on its noticable. The video is great, the audio is horrible.

I mailed samsung about it and got a standard response (we're currently developing a new firmware, please keep an eye on the samsung site) and I guess it won't change a thing (since JM2 has the same issue still). I didn't check it with froyo, might reflash it just to give it a try, but for now it's pretty useless.

I saw some stuff about increasing earphone quality through the service mode, but I have no clue what all the settings do and didn't find anything really directly related to recording.

In this thread:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=721069

They talk about the same issue on an omnia hd, there seems to be a fix for it but the supplied code doesn't work (and the menus mentioned are not present in the galaxy's service mdoe)...

Does anyone here have the same problem, is the issue still present on JP3?

Can anyone give some more information about the various settings in the service mode so I can start lpaying around there?

Cheers!

ps. I included an attachment with an mp3 of the video recorded to explain the issue...

To give an impression of the kind of music:

(The Pogues, Melkweg 2010)

have you tried this?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=735918

Guest dagrim1

Did see that thread but is for a different issue, also looked around in that service mode menu but can't seem to find the proper settings...

@ilcello, interesting... Perhaps looking around there some more might help. About your frequency question, a bit above my head I'm afraid... sorry.

ps. Tried changing all value mentioning 'Gain' in the

[5] Audio -> [1] Handset -> [9] Diamong Solution -> [6]1Mic TX submenus... No changes.

Edited by dagrim1

Guest ilcello

Well, worst case, mic sensitivity can be fixed with blue tack on the mic hole... :)

But aliasing is more difficult... to explain:

Try and play the attached file (e.g. on your PC). You can hear that the frequency goes up.

Try and take a video (or audio) recording of it with your I9000. You can hear that in the recording the frequency goes up first, and then back down!

This is because of what us DSP engineers call aliasing.

In practice, this means that if you record some music (unless it is bass only) even if the microphone sensitivity was OK it would still sound distorted - although not as bad as now where the problem is compounded by saturation.

Any Samsung representative listening? This is *really* bad!!! How do you test your features?!?

Some of you guys have more recent updates on your phone (I have ADJF1 on mine), maybe you can check if more recent firmwares have the same issue?

Also any of you out there with an HTC Desire that can check if it gives the same problem? I am still considering briniging the phone back to the shop and swap it if SS doesn't put any effort in fixing this...

chirp100_16k.mp3

Guest ilcello
Is it possible to plug an external mic for video ? And how ?

Maybe a USB mic? Otherwise I guess you should be able to find a good quality mic with a 3.5 jack, or maybe a jack adapter.... or you might be able to wire one yourself...

BTW, I decided to bring my I9000 back. Not many people commenting on this issue, means it is unlikely Samsung will fix this any time soon, and Android's API doesn't help either, as native control of the audio chip (e.g. for mic level) is not available (so applications cannot fix this either). Finally I found GPS to be quite inaccurate.

If these issues will ever be fixed, by then the price will have halved, anyway... :D

Guest Pyr0x64
Well, worst case, mic sensitivity can be fixed with blue tack on the mic hole... :D

But aliasing is more difficult... to explain:

Try and play the attached file (e.g. on your PC). You can hear that the frequency goes up.

Try and take a video (or audio) recording of it with your I9000. You can hear that in the recording the frequency goes up first, and then back down!

This is because of what us DSP engineers call aliasing.

In practice, this means that if you record some music (unless it is bass only) even if the microphone sensitivity was OK it would still sound distorted - although not as bad as now where the problem is compounded by saturation.

Any Samsung representative listening? This is *really* bad!!! How do you test your features?!?

Some of you guys have more recent updates on your phone (I have ADJF1 on mine), maybe you can check if more recent firmwares have the same issue?

Also any of you out there with an HTC Desire that can check if it gives the same problem? I am still considering briniging the phone back to the shop and swap it if SS doesn't put any effort in fixing this...

Good test, I just tried it on my Desire and I have the same problem you're describing in the video recorded on my phone - the frequency goes up then down again :D

Edited by Pyr0x64

Guest ilcello
Good test, I just tried it on my Desire and I have the same problem you're describing in the video recorded on my phone - the frequency goes up then down again :D

Thanks, I won't buy the HTC either then, unless it is fixed with the official Froyo update...

Interesting... 2 out of 2 top Android phones with similar audio issues I wonder about the cheaper models... maybe it is Google's fault, rather than Samsung's?

Guest bloodyhippy

Maybe a USB mic? Otherwise I guess you should be able to find a good quality mic with a 3.5 jack, or maybe a jack adapter.... or you might be able to wire one yourself...

Just found this discussion. I am lookin to record my friend playing his songs acoustically out in his garden to put up on Youtube from my Galaxy.

Is there a bluetooth mic that I can set up so i can pin it to him. As i'm thinking the phone mic will pick up the surrounding birds and traffic more. Or does a bluetooth headset for hands free work with video recording?

Guest ilcello
Just found this discussion. I am lookin to record my friend playing his songs acoustically out in his garden to put up on Youtube from my Galaxy.

Is there a bluetooth mic that I can set up so i can pin it to him. As i'm thinking the phone mic will pick up the surrounding birds and traffic more. Or does a bluetooth headset for hands free work with video recording?

Don't even try with the phone mic :D

Wired headset is slightly better because it is not as loud, but it is still subject to aliasing. BT mic, assuming it supports A2DP (higher quality, with SBC encoding), might work, but you need to find an application that supports it, and that allows you to control the BT mic sensitivity (although a decent MIC might have built in AGC). Also you need to verify if the audio driver still mess up the signal after decoding it, e.g. by resampling without anti-aliasing, but you should be able to check that with the test describe above.