BBC News

Guest PaulOBrien

bbcnews1.pngbbcnews2.png

Welcome to 'Paul's App of the Day', where I pick one of my favourite apps as featured app of the day! Today's app is...

BBC News

What they say

Shows you the latest news headlines in a compact widget on the Android home screen, and includes a headline and article viewer.

What we say

I like to keep up with the news on the BBC News website when i'm at a desktop machine, but this app lets me do it on my mobile too. It has a straightforward UI and good performance (aside from an occasional 'white screen' when loading an article on a poor connection). Features include customisable update frequency for when the phone is both on and in standby, notification bar display of breaking stories and a homescreen widget. All for free with no ads.

Permissions

INTERNET

Download

View BBC News at AppBrain

Direct Market Link (for on device)

View on Android Market

QRcode

To use, install 'Barcode Scanner' from the Android Market.

bbcnews.qrcode.png

Price

FREE

Market star rating at time of writing

4.40 (7147 ratings)

Version at time of writing

Similar / Alternative apps

There are a number of BBC News reader apps available on the Market, but I have found this to be the best. Also check out Sky News, Express News, and AP Mobile

Suggested improvements for the next version

I do get an occasional 'white screen' when viewing an article on a slow connection and the main icon could be a bit crisper. The widget is also a little limited atm and could be improved.

Have your say

Fan of BBC News? Found something better? Just wanna share your experiences? Post below! :D

Guest artesea

Still waiting for the official BBC apps to come out on Android now that the Trust have given the green light,

That said, I read most of my news via the browser and don't really see the point in a 3rd party app.

Guest chucky.egg

Yep, same here

I don't want a feed-specific app, I want a good mobile site

I've been using m.telegraph and m.guardian since Aunty shut down their low graphics site