[KERNEL] Sub501 Kernel, mods and control apk

Guest Sub501

Guest snapilica
...Now it's up to me to read the first post and what to install. Am I right that I have to installe the following files:

- signed_ril.zip (because I've baked the radio)...

This RIL is NOT for the radio included in Pauls R8. That one is 32.44.00.32U_5.09.05.30_2

This RIL is for lates radio version 32.47.00.32_5.10.05.23 that you can find here

If you do not have this latest radio this RIL is NOT you you!

This RIL is NOT for the radio included in Pauls R8. That one is 32.44.00.32U_5.09.05.30_2

This RIL is for lates radio version 32.47.00.32_5.10.05.23 that you can find here

If you do not have this latest radio this RIL is NOT you you!

You're perfectly right.

Guest greves1

on prebake r8 i did the following in this order:

flashed disable perflock

flashed new radio

flashed ril

flashed power saving

checked using aLogCat as suggested in post #10, and all seems to have gone fine.

i also restarted the phone after each flash just to make sure it was ok. could i have done these all at the same time and only restarted my phone once?

Edited by greves1

Guest lubo777

flashed disable perflock

flashed new radio

flashed ril

flashed power saving

checked using aLogCat as suggested in post #10, and all seems to have gone fine.

i also restarted the phone after each flash just to make sure it was ok. could i have done these all at the same time and only restarted my phone once?

I think 100% yes ...

flashed disable perflock

flashed new radio

flashed ril

flashed power saving

1. Radio cannot be flashed without restart.

2. Yes for the ramining:

flashed disable perflock

flashed ril

flashed power saving

Guest snapilica
What benefits does this script offer over and beyond using setCPU profiles to scale CPU use?

Or, would using this make things even better with setCPU?

OK so the thing is like this, you can use SetCPU to set custom frequencies but SetCPU only uses the installed governors in the kernel. By default HTC kernel only includes performance, ondemand and user governors. This mod also installs the extra governors needed (powersave and interactive). If you have these new governors you can use them with SetCPU the same as the init scripts (that are also in the mod). The advantage of having them in the init scripts is that you don't have to permanently run an app to switch between governors. With this mod it's all done within the kernel, without the assistance of an app that has to run all the time.

OK so the thing is like this, you can use SetCPU to set custom frequencies but SetCPU only uses the installed governors in the kernel. By default HTC kernel only includes performance, ondemand and user governors. This mod also installs the extra governors needed (powersave and interactive). If you have these new governors you can use them with SetCPU the same as the init scripts (that are also in the mod). The advantage of having them in the init scripts is that you don't have to permanently run an app to switch between governors. With this mod it's all done within the kernel, without the assistance of an app that has to run all the time.

There's still 98script (while loop) that is checking for screen state to switch governors. anyway less resource hungry than a GUI.

Guest zombiefly

i think it would be an idea to collect the various install instructions and put them up in the first post now, as i think we have covered all eventualities..

so we'd have a small guide for the following:

1. r8 with perflock disable + default radio (from kitchen)

2. r8 without perflock disable + default radio (from kitchen)

3. r8 with perflock disable + new radio

4. r8 without perflock disable + new radio

This mod does wonders for my battery life. I'm very impressed! thank you for your work. :huh:

Ok thanks, I've checked (AndExplorer works also) and don't have the '97perflock' and 'perflock_disable3215.ko' files.

And I see the update so it's possible to install this MOD now, much appreciated! :huh:

Now it's up to me to read the first post and what to install. Am I right that I have to installe the following files:

- signed_ril.zip (because I've baked the radio)

- signed_perflock_update.zip

- signed_power_update.zip

It is for a already installed ROM baked without 'disable perflock' and the radio update.

I don't have the '97perflock' and 'perflock_disable3215.ko' files too.

Does it means I only need to flash signed_power_update.zip?

Or do I need to flash signed_perflock_update.zip first then signed_power_update.zip?

Im on r8 ROM with default MoDaCo additions and A2SD+ and 32.44.00.32U_5.09.05.30_2 radio.

Thanks!

edit:

nvm..flashed both files and its working.

Edited by dt33

Guest marcuso

Forgive me if this is a noob question, but its right that this is basically a (better) replacement for setcpu (which is not really needed any more after that) ?

Guest snapilica
Forgive me if this is a noob question, but its right that this is basically a (better) replacement for setcpu (which is not really needed any more after that) ?

Yes you can think of it as a replacement. If it's "better" or not it's your decision. You can even use SetCPU to take advantage of the governors that this script installs, you just use the mod and get rid of the script that switches between governor and use SetCPU to do that. But again, that would mean an app has to monitor your phone and switch between governor and/or throttle the frequency.

I for one don't feel the need for SetCPU anymore, but some might want to use it for even more tweaking (related to battery percentage, etc.)

Guest zombiefly
Yes you can think of it as a replacement. If it's "better" or not it's your decision. You can even use SetCPU to take advantage of the governors that this script installs, you just use the mod and get rid of the script that switches between governor and use SetCPU to do that. But again, that would mean an app has to monitor your phone and switch between governor and/or throttle the frequency.

I for one don't feel the need for SetCPU anymore, but some might want to use it for even more tweaking (related to battery percentage, etc.)

i've been using the mod with juice defender, which switches off my data between 11.30pm and 6.30am along with intermittently allowing it on a schedule during the day. I'm still testing this combination but so far it appears to be working wonders with the battery life. I guess I could also be using tasker for this as I have that installed also.....

Guest marcuso

thx ... i think now i got it ;-)

btw: this helped a lot to understand that "governor" stuff ;-)

http://github.com/CyanogenMod/cm-kernel/bl...q/governors.txt

... I guess i do not need setCPU then because i think having "on-demand" CPU power when awake and lowest when in sleep is just perfect ;-)

Guest Kiran J. Holla

Thanks for this. Looking at the comments, this really looks like something that can help improve Battery Life.

I currently have MCR R8 installed with Perflock disabled already.

My understanding is that to get this mod working on my Desire, the steps are:

1. Flash the new radio 32.47.00.32_5.10.05.23 available on XDA

2. Flash the RIL from your earlier post

3. Flash the signed_power_update.zip from the first post

That should do it. Am I right?

Regards,

Kiran

Guest zombiefly
Thanks for this. Looking at the comments, this really looks like something that can help improve Battery Life.

Regards,

Kiran

I believe the RIL is optional.

Guest snapilica

Regards,

Kiran

1 and 2 go together but you don't need the radio and RIL for battery mod, that's another MOD that is not related to battery.

Guest zombiefly
1 and 2 go together but you don't need the radio and RIL for battery mod, that's another MOD that is not related to battery.

i'm pretty sure when this mod was posted in the r8 thread, it said the radio was essential for the mod to work! :P

Guest snapilica
i'm pretty sure when this mod was posted in the r8 thread, it said the radio was essential for the mod to work! :P

Nope, it's 2 different mods (that's why they are on two posts separate (the third one being reserved for CIFS i belive)). Radio was essential for the RIL mod to work. RIL has nothing to do with the battery saving mods.

For the battery saving mods you need signed_power_update (with signed_perflock_update depending on the case) or custom_zip if you wish to bake and not flash.

For the RIL mod you need the specific radio.

Edited by snapilica

Guest zombiefly
Nope, it's 2 different mods (that's why they are on two posts separate (the third one being reserved for CIFS i belive)). Radio was essential for the RIL mod to work. RIL has nothing to do with the battery saving mods.

For the battery saving mods you need signed_power_update (with signed_perflock_update depending on the case) or custom_zip if you wish to bake and not flash.

For the RIL mod you need the specific radio.

aha. i was in work earlier and didnt really read the posts, i've re-read now and i understand :P