[KERNEL] Sub501 Kernel, mods and control apk

Guest Sub501

Guest Sub501
+1..... !!

Sub501,

Thanks for all your hard work, but I don't understand the instructions in the first post either. You refer to all the mods being mandatory and you refer to:

*** all_in_one_power_mods_YYYYMMDD.zip

... but there is no *** all_in_one_power_mods_YYYYMMDD.zip in the first post.

If I am baking a new ROM, please specify which mods need to be included. Many thanks!

Hi, yes this is true. I'm thinking about removing all_in_one because is hard to maintain both.

Guest Sub501

Take a look on post #3. The undervolt package is safe to use with the supplied configuration. Wanna use different config... then have a look in /data/etc....

Guest Audioboxer
start with 00_remove_all

This order?

00_remove_old_scripts_20100926.zip ( 2.38K ) Number of downloads: 2

04_gov_conservative_20101002.zip ( 6.63K ) Number of downloads: 16

05_power_mod_20101004.zip ( 5.06K ) Number of downloads: 3

Also do I need to reboot between flashing scripts?

Guest Sub501
This order?

00_remove_old_scripts_20100926.zip ( 2.38K ) Number of downloads: 2

04_gov_conservative_20101002.zip ( 6.63K ) Number of downloads: 16

05_power_mod_20101004.zip ( 5.06K ) Number of downloads: 3

Also do I need to reboot between flashing scripts?

00 , 01 .. 05. no need to reboot

For more juice you may also try undervolt from post #3. Testing here for ~ 1 week, no issues.

Edited by Sub501

Guest ascot17

@Sub501

I am still not sure (like several others it seems) which scripts to install here.

I have just baked a new ROM with Perflock disabled. None of your previous scripts are there. Do I need to install all the other scripts (except 00_remove_all_scripts and Perflock)?

Many thanks.

Guest Sub501
@Sub501

I am still not sure (like several others it seems) which scripts to install here.

I have just baked a new ROM with Perflock disabled. None of your previous scripts are there. Do I need to install all the other scripts (except 00_remove_all_scripts and Perflock)?

Many thanks.

yes.

yes.

even though i had disabled perflock in my bake, i had to flash perflock_20100926 to get the scripts working.

the explanation is really not straight-forward with this, but i'm getting accustomed to that after 7 months of androiding.. trial and error people..

anyway, i'm 30 hours in after my last charge and still have 30% juice left, 1-2 hour calls, 3 hour spotify-ing, 2-3 hours wifi-ing.

gotta love these scripts.

Guest Sub501
your modules are not working in the new kernel from richardtrip

can you fix this

[KERNEL] uv/oc 2.6.32 for Sense Roms (CFQ/UV950mV/OC1113Mhz/EXT4/Audiomod/CIFS+utf8)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=801435

please fix

The modules are for Paul's R8 and R9 (it is written on the first post). If you look carefully the HTC source kernel is 2.6.32.15-gd9.... It is about version magic. As my time is very limited I will provide modules for Paul kitchen only. So as soon as Paul will update the kernel version...

I will prepare a separate script pack, without modules, maybe at the end of the week.

Edited by Sub501

Guest thtieig
even though i had disabled perflock in my bake, i had to flash perflock_20100926 to get the scripts working.

the explanation is really not straight-forward with this, but i'm getting accustomed to that after 7 months of androiding.. trial and error people..

anyway, i'm 30 hours in after my last charge and still have 30% juice left, 1-2 hour calls, 3 hour spotify-ing, 2-3 hours wifi-ing.

gotta love these scripts.

@Sub501

Apologies for the questions, but I'm still trying to get a clear/full/simple list of steps to follow to have this working on R9.

My battery last in less than 8/10 hours now and I REALLY would try this "magic trick" :)

Can someone please suggest me if the below steps are ok?

1. Baked ROM from http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-desi...chen-2-2-froyo/

- NOT selected Include Radio Image ->* This option includes the 32.47.00.32U_5.10.05.23 radio image as part of the update zip.

- NOT selected ANY of the scripts under > Expert Options - Additional Modules Provided by Sub501

- SELECTED Disable perflock

2. Downloaded latest Radio Image (32.48.00.32U_5.11.05.14) from http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=687464

3. Downloaded all the following files from page 1 of this thread http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-desi...8/#entry1393127

File 01_systuning_20100906.zip ( 4.09K )

File 02_gov_interactive_20100906.zip ( 31.74K )

File 03_gov_powersave_20100926.zip ( 16.2K )

File perflock_20100926.zip ( 5.25K )

File 04_gov_conservative_20101002.zip ( 6.63K )

File 05_power_mod_20101004.zip ( 5.06K )

File 00_remove_old_scripts_20100926.zip ( 2.38K )

4. Copied all these files on my SD (ROM, Radio update, files from 00 to 05 + perflock)

5. Rebooted the device using ROM Manager in Recovery mode

6. Installed the rom r9 mentioned in point 1

7. Installed the Radio Image

8. Rebooted

9. Back to Recovery mode and installed files from 01 to 05 with no reboot

10. Rebooted

11. Disabled SetCPU, unselection "Set on Boot" and "Enable" under "Profiles"

12. Rebooted

I've checked logcat and I haven't seen anything "interesting", so...

13. rebooted the device using ROM Manager in Recovery mode and installed also "perflock_20100926.zip"

Is there anything I've missed or any wrong step? ;)

I think a simple step list could help lot of us, especially the less experts (like myself) :(

Thanks!

Guest Sub501
@Sub501

Hi,

Are you using setcpu? If yes there's nothing interesting in the logcat as powermanagement script will detect and exit if setcpu is running.

In case you're not using setcpu the steps are:

1. Flash your radio/

2. Bake a perflock disabled R9 ROM with no Sub501 optionals and no radio then wipe and flash it

3. download and flash in the following order: 01-05 (no need to reboot between).

Tell me if is working.

Good luck

Guest thtieig
Hi,

Are you using setcpu? If yes there's nothing interesting in the logcat as powermanagement script will detect and exit if setcpu is running.

In case you're not using setcpu the steps are:

1. Flash your radio/

2. Bake a perflock disabled R9 ROM with no Sub501 optionals and no radio then wipe and flash it

3. download and flash in the following order: 01-05 (no need to reboot between).

Tell me if is working.

Good luck

Hi Sub501,

SetCPU is installed but as I said all is disabled. I can uninstall it if you think it may interferes in some way.

Sorry again for the stupid question but... what do you mean with "flash your radio"?

:)

So... BEFORE flashing the new ROM I had to flash the latest radio update?

I thought I had to flash it AFTER I've flashed the ROM. ;)

Edited by thtieig

Guest Sub501
Hi Sub501,

SetCPU is installed but as I said all is disabled. I can uninstall it if you think it may interferes in some way.

Sorry again for the stupid question but... what do you mean with "flash your radio"?

:)

So... BEFORE flashing the new ROM I had to flash the latest radio update?

I thought I had to flash it AFTER I've flashed the ROM. ;)

Normally the radio has nothing todo with ROM, ROM has some bits that communicate with radio that is why some ROMS require a speciffic radio version for things like camera working.

A good start is to first flash your radio 32.48xyz.zip

Edited by Sub501

• 2 weeks later...
Guest System of a pWne!^

I think there is a bug in /etc/init.d/98_99_powermanagement...

I tried to find out, why the heck it wasn't scaling as I told it to in /etc/98_99_powermanagement.conf. I quickly found the reason: You wrote this on line 37:

readonly CONFIG="/data/etc/`basename $SCRIPT_NAME`.conf"
while it has to be
readonly CONFIG="/etc/`basename $SCRIPT_NAME`.conf"

/data is the partition. It is necessary in a flashable zip to tell where to put files to (e.g. to /system or /data) but once the phone is booted up, it doesn't see the partitions separately anymore but everything mounted into the main-tree. So the correct path should be as written above.

Using MCR9 + this kernel with your scripts modified to work there (all I did was removing obsolete scripts like undervolt,etx4,cifs and all governors and commenting out checks for modules to load like perflock).

Edited by System of a pWne!^

I think there is a bug in /etc/init.d/98_99_powermanagement...

I tried to find out, why the heck it wasn't scaling as I told it to in /etc/98_99_powermanagement.conf. I quickly found the reason: You wrote this on line 37:

readonly CONFIG="/data/etc/`basename $SCRIPT_NAME`.conf"
while it has to be
readonly CONFIG="/etc/`basename $SCRIPT_NAME`.conf"

/data is the partition. It is necessary in a flashable zip to tell where to put files to (e.g. to /system or /data) but once the phone is booted up, it doesn't see the partitions separately anymore but everything mounted into the main-tree. So the correct path should be as written above.

Using MCR9 + this kernel with your scripts modified to work there (all I did was removing obsolete scripts like undervolt,etx4,cifs and all governors and commenting out checks for modules to load like perflock).

Quite strange, it is working on my side (r8).

data is a mount point in the root filesystem.

"# mount | grep data

/dev/block/mtdblock5 on /data type yaffs2 (rw,nosuid.....

"

Edited by Sub501

Guest System of a pWne!^
Quite strange, it is working on my side (r8).

data is a mount point in the root filesystem.

"# mount | grep data

/dev/block/mtdblock5 on /data type yaffs2 (rw,nosuid.....

"

Yeah, I know /data exist. But in that folder, I do not have an /etc folder. May you check this? I tried pushing my modified 98_99_powermanagement.conf to /data/etc and all that happened was a file created at /data called etc which contained all of 98_99_powermanagement.conf's entries.

So I pushed it to the real /etc instead and modified your script to work with that file now.

Yeah, I know /data exist. But in that folder, I do not have an /etc folder. May you check this? I tried pushing my modified 98_99_powermanagement.conf to /data/etc and all that happened was a file created at /data called etc which contained all of 98_99_powermanagement.conf's entries.

So I pushed it to the real /etc instead and modified your script to work with that file now.

Can you please try to flash this test file? After reboot you should have this files

/data/__abc/1.txt

/data/__abc/3.txt

/system/__def/5.txt

/system/__def/6.txt

Edited by Sub501

Guest el_boufono

Hey Sub501, great work your doing fo the sake of our batteries xD And god knows they needed that!

For the brand brand new "thing", do i have to flash the File 00_remove_old_scripts_20100926.zip before doing anything? I'll still wait a bit to see if anyone have problems with it before flashing but still i'd like t know :)

Hey Sub501, great work your doing fo the sake of our batteries xD And god knows they needed that!

For the brand brand new "thing", do i have to flash the File 00_remove_old_scripts_20100926.zip before doing anything? I'll still wait a bit to see if anyone have problems with it before flashing but still i'd like t know :)

Nope no need to run 00_remove. Anyway, as many versions were available (and some scripts were renamed during these updates) it is recommended to clean all your 00mod*, 01mod*, 98mod* and 99mod* scripts from your /system/etc/ini.d/ .

@Sub501

Thanks a lot for your great work! I've been with these scripts since the first version and can't wait to try out the new stuff.

Question: The Interactive governor is no longer used by default in your latest script. What's the reason?

@Sub501

Thanks a lot for your great work! I've been with these scripts since the first version and can't wait to try out the new stuff.

Question: The Interactive governor is no longer used by default in your latest script. What's the reason?

Just to avoid possible issues. Same reason for not overclocking by default. Yes I know that interactive is reliable but it is better to start as close as possible to stock then slightly start tuning your device.

If you want to use interactive the only thing to be done is to change ondemand to interactive (eg: AG_**=ondemand will became AG_**=interactive ).

Guest snapilica
wow, now i'm lost xD What's the difference between ondemand and interactive? You're talking about the powermanagement.conf?

The linux kernel is governed by different power modules (or settings) that scales the frequency dynamically. Each has it's pluses and minuses. Each is for a specific reason. This kernel includes interactive, ondemand, powersave, userspace and performance governors.

The default one that is used by HTC is the ondemand governor. Google developed the interactive governor. What governor is best is just a matter of taste. Interactive is snappier than ondemand but some say it uses more battery, powersave uses the least amount of battery but is also the slowest as it keeps the CPU at it's lowest possible freq. (245Mhz default on this phone), performance uses the most amount of battery but is also the fastest as it keeps the CPU at it's highest possible freq. (998Mhz default and it can be raised by overclocking).

Overclocking the phone and also using the performance governor is not recommended as it may damage your phone.

You can find info about them here