07/Mar Fr11 - WITH SENSE: MoDaCo Custom ROM for HTC Desire with Online Kitchen (2.2 / Froyo)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest htcnick
What rom updates? OTA won't work or you'll loose root, upgrading from stock rom could cause problems and in some instances upgrading from previous MCR versions can cause problems.

I am using the 2.2 Rom r9 that I previously downloaded from this site. I just wanted to update it for the updated snail.

Guest logicalextreme
Yes it does. I have tried every solution mentioned to resove the install issue ith no success.

To get 2.3 on r8, I installed it from recovery in a zip file. It then appeared in the Market with the word "Install".

I didn't need to do anything to get it on r9, as it was baked in; but I followed the steps above (clear Market data from Settings>Applications) and it appears as Installed in the Market now. Did you give that a go?

Guest logicalextreme
mmmh.

last times I just restored everything. apps and data. without success.

perhaps I should first restore all the apps and after that the systems data with the desktop.

I'll try next time....it all depends on paul when it will be ;)

With all ROM updates I've tried (O2 2.1 > rooted stock 2.1, rooted stock 2.1 > rooted stock 2.2, rooted stock 2.2 > r8 WIP, r8 WIP > r8 final, r8 final > r9 WIP), when I've restored desktop settings (on Sense, Launcher2, LauncherPro and ADW.Launcher), the settings have been picked up correctly but any widgets are displayed as placeholders with the words "problem loading widget". Shortcuts, folders and custom shortcuts using LauncherPro or ADW functionality are fine, wallpaper is fine and preferences are fine. I've just been accepting it as part and parcel of a ROM upgrade. So are you getting anything at all or just the default desktop? Have you tried using LauncherPro or ADW and backing up your settings externally using their built-in backup functions before a flash?

Ok ... according to the online kitchen, the app quickoffice is stored in /data however upon further inspection of the rom it appears to be infact stored in /system

Also - it would be good if there was an option to shrink the /system partition to the size that is actually used on it - that would allow more space in the /data partition

Kris

Guest theodorius123
With all ROM updates I've tried (O2 2.1 > rooted stock 2.1, rooted stock 2.1 > rooted stock 2.2, rooted stock 2.2 > r8 WIP, r8 WIP > r8 final, r8 final > r9 WIP), when I've restored desktop settings (on Sense, Launcher2, LauncherPro and ADW.Launcher), the settings have been picked up correctly but any widgets are displayed as placeholders with the words "problem loading widget". Shortcuts, folders and custom shortcuts using LauncherPro or ADW functionality are fine, wallpaper is fine and preferences are fine. I've just been accepting it as part and parcel of a ROM upgrade. So are you getting anything at all or just the default desktop? Have you tried using LauncherPro or ADW and backing up your settings externally using their built-in backup functions before a flash?

I also have only problems with restoring my widgets - everything else is fine and Titanium is working properly.

but i am looking for something that perhaps can restore also widgets, cause I am using a lot of "Multicon"s and it is a lot of work for me to get everything the way it was before wiping.

Guest logicalextreme
I also have only problems with restoring my widgets - everything else is fine and Titanium is working properly.

but i am looking for something that perhaps can restore also widgets, cause I am using a lot of "Multicon"s and it is a lot of work for me to get everything the way it was before wiping.

Yeah, it wasn't too bad for me except for the fact that I switch between two or three launchers regularly (because I like different things about Sense, ADW and Pro), so I had to restore the same bastard set of widgets on every screen on every launcher! I'm not sure whether using LP or ADW's built-in backup functions would work?

I'm aware that widgets don't function exactly how I might expect them to -- for instance, with the SmoothCalendar widget I can place the widget and then configure many different things about it. But if one of the configuration changes I make is to remove the "configuration" button, that's it. That widget is stuck. It will continue to dynamically update according to my calendar, but I can no longer access its config values and the only workaround is to bin it and add a new one. Conversely, I just bought both Extended Controls and Power Control Plus. Of these, both install a small application as well as the widget; but PCP (!) acts like SmoothCalendar whereas EC's application "tracks" its active widgets and allows you to configure them later.

So widgets seem to be in a very odd limbo-state between static and dynamic. I think this may be one of the issues, but I wouldn't like to commit to that opinion as I haven't read nearly enough Android documentation. I have to admit I haven't tried restoring the Desktop or Launcher data with Titanium after restoring the relevant programs. Yet.

Guest Raindroid

Noob here,

Just wondering if the OpenVPN stuff i have been reading (see i searched!!) was fixed now?

Ive tried using openvpn but every time i try to connect to one of my VPNs it does nothing.

Otherwise i love this Rom, no fluff just good and stable!

I tried using a custom cooked Rom.

Guest Alin Claudiu

how can i change my google account on R8 modaco ROM ? when i wipe, the phone do not boot anymore, i don`t want to reflash the rom

Edited by Alin Claudiu

I'm going to move r9 to the 'current release' (with prebakes) and create r10 WIP!

I'm still working on porting over some bits of the HD ROM without using the whole base (which is huge)... I'll also updating to all of the latest Desire release, together with bits of FRG83.

P

Guest Grobie
:)

I'm going to move r9 to the 'current release' (with prebakes) and create r10 WIP!

I'm still working on porting over some bits of the HD ROM without using the whole base (which is huge)... I'll also updating to all of the latest Desire release, together with bits of FRG83.

P

Thanks Paul, that will be great! ;)

Guest logicalextreme
:D

P

Yeah, I'd heard that the ROM size exceeds the paltry internal storage we got lumped with on the Desire.

If you check the last couple of pages, I believe there's an updated undervolt module and updated scripts. Let us know which ROM you toss these into if you do!

Guest Kiran J. Holla

P

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your work.

Is there any chance you can look at the issue with Google Maps not updating from the Market for some of us?

Regards,

Kiran

Guest Paulo Nobrega

it would be good if next rom brought google apps in apps and not system. That way we could update them over the market..

Looks like Desire Roms are going to slowly die so... :) Paul, understandably has to work on other machines... ;)

Guest woti17
Ok ... according to the online kitchen, the app quickoffice is stored in /data however upon further inspection of the rom it appears to be infact stored in /system

Also - it would be good if there was an option to shrink the /system partition to the size that is actually used on it - that would allow more space in the /data partition

Kris

+1 if that's even possible.

is system storage and internal memory physically the same nand and gets only mounted in a splitted way

or is the size fix hardcoded?

Guest Audioboxer

P

Awesome, thanks Paul. Hope you fix a couple of the current niggles with R9 before you make it final though :) (boot logo/update the powersave scripts).

Looking forward to r10!

Guest logicalextreme

Are we sure the boot logo isn't down to including the smooth icons in the bake? Does anybody have a confirmed case of the silver Android boot logo without baking in the smooth icons?

Guest Amit Manor

hi,

after installing the r9 rom, should i install the radio separately?

p.s

i'm a little new to this rom installation world but have already installed the r8 a few days ago :-)

regards,

amit.

Guest theodorius123
Are we sure the boot logo isn't down to including the smooth icons in the bake? Does anybody have a confirmed case of the silver Android boot logo without baking in the smooth icons?

I am quite sure I don't have smooth icons - but the silver android boot logo...

Guest Amit Manor

P

Hi Paul,

just installed the r9 release. amazing thing is, before installing i had 30MB free Internal memory storage.

after installing, i have 110MB, don't know if it's related to the update, but still is amazing :-)

one thing though, in camcorder i now don't have the option for 720p resolution.

is it a bug? or just my phone?

regards,

amit.