07/Mar Fr11 - WITH SENSE: MoDaCo Custom ROM for HTC Desire with Online Kitchen (2.2 / Froyo)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Jasperov

Many people looking for R10 etc, I'm just wondering what else can we expect from the ROM's?

TBH I would be happy if the space issue was resolved, friend has a Samsung Galaxy S and I'm very envious of his internal storage space. Updated Google Maps the other day and it crucified my internal storage, along with RockPlayer, have Move2SDEnabler which moves part of the program across. Failed at partitioning my SD card and cba trying again. 2 things about Desire I don't like, battery and internal storage.

Guest irwige
Many people looking for R10 etc, I'm just wondering what else can we expect from the ROM's?

TBH I would be happy if the space issue was resolved, friend has a Samsung Galaxy S and I'm very envious of his internal storage space. Updated Google Maps the other day and it crucified my internal storage, along with RockPlayer, have Move2SDEnabler which moves part of the program across. Failed at partitioning my SD card and cba trying again. 2 things about Desire I don't like, battery and internal storage.

got to agree, this is my ONLY gripe with the desire... i cant install many hefty apps before my internal storage gets low... not enough apps are able to be pushed to SD.

Thing is i've no idea if im using the other partitions at all near their capacity, but would love a few more MB. I had to practically uninstall every other app over 1mb in size just to try Firefox 4 Beta 1 (which is slow and crap btw), not cool!

Guest Kiran J. Holla

got to agree, this is my ONLY gripe with the desire... i cant install many hefty apps before my internal storage gets low... not enough apps are able to be pushed to SD.

Thing is i've no idea if im using the other partitions at all near their capacity, but would love a few more MB. I had to practically uninstall every other app over 1mb in size just to try Firefox 4 Beta 1 (which is slow and crap btw), not cool!

I am assuming that you aren't using A2SD+ but are relying on the Froyo A2SD; is that right? Why not simply go for the legacy A2SD+ - it is available in the kitchen.

I have been using A2SD+ right from the time I got my Desire rooted and it has worked very well for me; space has never been an issue. When I upgraded to Froyo, I briefly gave Froyo A2SD a try but soon realized that it sucks right down the drain!

Regards,

Kiran

Guest logicalextreme
I am assuming that you aren't using A2SD+ but are relying on the Froyo A2SD; is that right? Why not simply go for the legacy A2SD+ - it is available in the kitchen.

I have been using A2SD+ right from the time I got my Desire rooted and it has worked very well for me; space has never been an issue. When I upgraded to Froyo, I briefly gave Froyo A2SD a try but soon realized that it sucks right down the drain!

Regards,

Kiran

It really does! I first started coming here to root, then I just came for the stock HTC ROMs (rooted) because I was okay with the phone as it was. I was holding out for Froyo for the A2SD functions, but once I actually got the stock Froyo ROM it was so poor that I was using MoDaCo r8 WIP less than a week later.

Edited by logicalextreme

Guest logicalextreme
... Firefox 4 Beta 1 (which is slow and crap btw), not cool!

I don't think I've ever uninstalled something so fast. I despise the desktop version of Firefox too, but I keep it around because sometimes it can be handy (Modify Headers etc). But gawd, the Android version is so utterly poor in terms of text rendering, panels, acceleration, zoom, and -- oh, that's the entire browser that sucks. I think Dolphin have got this market and they damn well deserve it!

Guest TheUntouchable
I don't think I've ever uninstalled something so fast. I despise the desktop version of Firefox too, but I keep it around because sometimes it can be handy (Modify Headers etc). But gawd, the Android version is so utterly poor in terms of text rendering, panels, acceleration, zoom, and -- oh, that's the entire browser that sucks. I think Dolphin have got this market and they damn well deserve it!

What do you expect? Its the first beta oO

Guest logicalextreme
What do you expect? Its the first beta oO

I know, but this is the one they're really pushing. It should be a fairly accurate reflection of what to expect from the final release. The Fennec alphas were better than beta 1!

Guest le_lutin

I used Dolphin HD for a long time, but I got a little bit tired of it. I am currently trying out two other browsers -

skyfire, very fast (faster than dolphin IMO) and quite neat. For some reason though it doesn't give the option to open a link in the background, which I use a lot on other browsers. It also doesn't have reflow, which I like - example, on the modaco forum you want to go to the previous page in this thread (page 71) so you pinch zoom so you can accurately click on the link for "71", with a lot of browsers, dolphin and xscope included, when you zoom in, it will reflow the whole page so that you are no longer zoomed in at the point you wanted. Skyfire also has the smoothest scrolling of any browser I've seen.

xscope, which has some nice functionality (eg. when you click the back button, it will instantaneously show the previous page as it has it cached, other browsers (skyfire included) reload the page, which is really annoying). Also when you swipe to the edge of the page and swipe a bit more it will show the next tab that you have open. However, the threads in this forum don't render very well in xscope.

BTW Paul is a big fan of skyfire (I believe it's his browser of choice)

Edited by le_lutin

Guest logicalextreme
I used Dolphin HD for a long time, but I got a little bit tired of it. I am currently trying out two other browsers -

skyfire, very fast (faster than dolphin IMO) and quite neat. For some reason though it doesn't give the option to open a link in the background, which I use a lot on other browsers. It also doesn't have reflow, which I like - example, on the modaco forum you want to go to the previous page in this thread (page 71) so you pinch zoom so you can accurately click on the link for "71", with a lot of browsers, dolphin and xscope included, when you zoom in, it will reflow the whole page so that you are no longer zoomed in at the point you wanted. Skyfire also has the smoothest scrolling of any browser I've seen.

xscope, which has some nice functionality (eg. when you click the back button, it will instantaneously show the previous page as it has it cached, other browsers (skyfire included) reload the page, which is really annoying). Also when you swipe to the edge of the page and swipe a bit more it will show the next tab that you have open. However, the threads in this forum don't render very well in xscope.

BTW Paul is a big fan of skyfire (I believe it's his browser of choice)

Cheers for the details! When I first tried Skyfire it hadn't come very far, so I got rid. But I'll give it another go now. I know what you mean about the reflow, but Dolphin acts okay if you force desktop view on everything. No background tab is worrying, but I'm sure it can be requested as it's a fairly standard browser feature. Dolphin's actually crashed (as in just completely disappeared) for me a few times in the last week.

Guest Kiran J. Holla
Cheers for the details! When I first tried Skyfire it hadn't come very far, so I got rid. But I'll give it another go now. I know what you mean about the reflow, but Dolphin acts okay if you force desktop view on everything. No background tab is worrying, but I'm sure it can be requested as it's a fairly standard browser feature. Dolphin's actually crashed (as in just completely disappeared) for me a few times in the last week.

I personally just use the browser out-of-the-box. The Browser that came built-in with the Desire works just fine for me and never felt the need to explore other options.

What are your main reasons for using what you do?

Regards,

Kiran

Guest logicalextreme
I personally just use the browser out-of-the-box. The Browser that came built-in with the Desire works just fine for me and never felt the need to explore other options.

What are your main reasons for using what you do?

Regards,

Kiran

I find Dolphin more configurable. I understand the stock browser's a lot better than it used to be, but I haven't checked it out since I got the phone on 2.1. I seem to recall that there wasn't tabbed browsing on stock when I got the phone, but I could be wrong. Either way, the tabs are implemented well (but a little ugly) in Dolphin, and you can download any file type without Android shunning it as unrecognised. It also seems to work with cookies, session data and password management very nicely and has an RSS hook to add feeds to whatever you need. It's worth a try at least, just to see if there's anything you'd be missing from stock.

Guest logicalextreme
Gizmodo did a test to see which browsers were fastest.

http://gizmodo.com/5652558/which-android-browser-is-fastest

Ouch! Good stuff! I really, really wish that Opera would devote some time to making a proper, devoted Android browser. It's my browser of choice on desktops, and the mini version did some incredible things with some shoddy hardware back when I used my K750 and K800. If they tried a little harder with Android, they could knock the competition out.

Guest BashyUK
That comparison doesn't appear to include the browser included with Sense

Isn't that the Android stock browser?

Man this thread has got so many mini threads Lol that's what happens when we're all hanging on release! Seriously check out the ROM by Alex V it's seriously good. Serious. :)

Guest Kiran J. Holla
Isn't that the Android stock browser?

Man this thread has got so many mini threads Lol that's what happens when we're all hanging on release! Seriously check out the ROM by Alex V it's seriously good. Serious. :)

Pass me the link please. I will probably give it a try. But I don't really see myself moving away from MCRs on a permanent basis. Not yet, atleast.

Regards,

Kiran

Pass me the link please. I will probably give it a try. But I don't really see myself moving away from MCRs on a permanent basis. Not yet, atleast.

Alex has posted about his ROM in this forum actually...

Guest The Virus 2013

I don't know if I'm the only one in that case but I cannot send or receive MMS anymore... I double checked the APN settings and everything seems to be ok but impossible to make it work.

Any trick ?

I've been trying the xScope6 browser and I quite like it. You have to pay for it though sadly. I find the default one locks up and slows down the phone big time sometimes on R9 and i have to task kill it. Anybody else had this?

As for an update to R9 well lets hope Paul has a HD related treat up his sleeve for us and that's the reason for the delay (well I can hope can't I? :) )

Cheers. PD

Guest Von Ropen
I don't know if I'm the only one in that case but I cannot send or receive MMS anymore... I double checked the APN settings and everything seems to be ok but impossible to make it work.

Any trick ?

I have same problem, I cannot receive mms... but it is a common bug this rom.....

Guest ThomasJ
I have same problem, I cannot receive mms... but it is a common bug this rom.....

The MMS issue is driving me bonkers.

Often however I find that forcing a switch from 3G to 2G will leave it working for a little while.

Guest The Virus 2013
The MMS issue is driving me bonkers.

Often however I find that forcing a switch from 3G to 2G will leave it working for a little while.

Where I live, I just have GPRS and still don't working... Not good ! Perhaps Paul can fix that ? But he's so busy for the moment...