07/Mar Fr11 - WITH SENSE: MoDaCo Custom ROM for HTC Desire with Online Kitchen (2.2 / Froyo)

Guest PaulOBrien

Hi

Can someone Please tell me what the symlink must look like for apps2sd+ on r8 if you do a "adb shell ls -l /data".

thanks

Grobie

the relevant part of the listing

lrwxrwxrwx 1 0 0 14 Aug 24 10:22 app -> /system/sd/app

lrwxrwxrwx 1 0 0 22 Jul 19 17:53 app-private -> /system/sd/app-private

lrwxrwxrwx 1 0 0 23 Sep 5 10:45 dalvik-cache -> /system/sd/dalvik-cache

drwxrwxrwx 1 0 0 2.0K Jul 19 22:20 data

this is in terminal, if you use adb you would likely have to

mount /data

cd /data

ls -la

Edited by woti17

Guest Joshua Lim

Hi Paul,

Any way to make the android market fix to enable all country. There are various app not available to certain country, hence we are not able to search it.

If only there is a fix for this.

the relevant part of the listing

lrwxrwxrwx 1 0 0 14 Aug 24 10:22 app -> /system/sd/app

lrwxrwxrwx 1 0 0 22 Jul 19 17:53 app-private -> /system/sd/app-private

lrwxrwxrwx 1 0 0 23 Sep 5 10:45 dalvik-cache -> /system/sd/dalvik-cache

drwxrwxrwx 1 0 0 2.0K Jul 19 22:20 data

this is in terminal, if you use adb you would likely have to

mount /data

cd /data

ls -la

Thanks

Mine is the same.

Grobie

Guest jamborta

I am still having a problem with the new widgets, I wiped it, flashed, and it worked OK. but after I run the titanium restore (restore all apps + system data), all these widgets disappear again. what am I doing wrong?

-> /system folder mounted somewhere else using something similar to unoinfs (aufs) (thread at xda)

- Why: AdBlock, DroidWall, Metamorph etc. working seamlessly without dirty hacks or manual symlinks, sometimes requiering kernel tweaks and whatnot.

This is one solution fixes em' all. While many people might not request this because they don't need/think about - trust me - we all would benefit.

i beg to differ, as much as i would like "to have root" on my system (for windows user Administrator), two things:

- no, this solutions doesn't fix em all: kernel module will have to be compiled without htc source modifications anyway, until htc releases the source

the one thing you gain is superuser modifiable config-files for system, and the possibilitiy to add/del libs and modules on fly, not only in recovery

- i've read the thread over at xda, first it is experimantal and second there are not too marginal security implications

just my opinion at this: a root-enabled phone beside like now in recovery will be open to more exploits over the internet then now, you will see a lot of junk coming along, you will likely want to have a firewall by default, watching permanent portscans for open services ... well security software will have a great time btw, apk's will be written to require root by default, and user will get used to run as Administrator just like XP

or maybe im just paranoid

Guest Noonski

Problem, with the circle and other batterer mods...

Myself is like the regular Battery mod but with the white letters showing the percentage.

(Smooth Sense White)

And I like the Zilver Circle battery mod to.

And then there's a few more variations of Battery mods.

As much as i'd like it to be a regular option, there's just to many variations to keep everyone happy and i'm not sure how much work it would be for paul to add these options, and how much time it would take away from working on more important modifications.

Problem, with the circle and other batterer mods...

Myself is like the regular Battery mod but with the white letters showing the percentage.

(Smooth Sense White)

And I like the Zilver Circle battery mod to.

And then there's a few more variations of Battery mods.

As much as i'd like it to be a regular option, there's just to many variations to keep everyone happy and i'm not sure how much work it would be for paul to add these options, and how much time it would take away from working on more important modifications.

most of the people don't read anyway, maybe just leave the text at the options out

maybe then it could be 1 1/2 side instead of 5

Requried

Applications

- Google x Car Panel x Mail .... x Select All x Clear All Selects

- HTC ....

- 3party ...

- Modaco Apps x AddFree x Rommanager ...

- Modified ... x Brute x IME

- Add your own zip with applications

Sytem

- Command Line x Openvpn x Bash x Nano x Iptables ....

- Memory Usage/CPU x A2SD x A2SD+ x enable CPUfreq (disable perflock) ....

- Framework modifications x Circle Battery ...

- Add own Framework zip ...

- Extra Kernel Modules x tun.ko x cifs.ko x ext4.ko ... x Load modules on startup

- Buttons/Trackpad mods ....

- Keyboards/RTL/CIME/Languages mods ....

- Disable: x Wifi-N x IPv6 x ....

Extras

- your own zip

- radio

Edited by woti17

-> fuse compress for dalvik cache.

- Why: I'm running out of internal space even though I have forcibly moved all aps to sd card (Froyo SD) It is not the app data, so it must be the cache?

warning first: don't try this if you are on A2SD+ - it messes up your phone and makes no sense anyway (due to dalvik cache is on extern partition on sd anyway, so there is nothing to gain for internal storage)

i wonder if it would be possible and useful to apply it on /data/data (ie mine is 70MB used now, and how much it would decrease with compression and free up internal storage?)

anyone with more knowledge would clarify / rewrite the start-script?

but then: /data is jffs2, and has compression build in already?

i beg to differ, as much as i would like "to have root" on my system (for windows user Administrator), two things:

- no, this solutions doesn't fix em all: kernel module will have to be compiled without htc source modifications anyway, until htc releases the source

the one thing you gain is superuser modifiable config-files for system, and the possibilitiy to add/del libs and modules on fly, not only in recovery

Yes, and this will fix/enable both Metamorph, AdBlock and Droidwall.

I am aware of the security implication (I posted about the allow_other option in the thread). Still, there is quite easy to make sure only root has access to read/write as appropriate. This no different from how Custom ROMs have always worked with Android (and everywhere else) - root has access to everything. Only the Desires lcoked down SPL has prevented this from working "as intended" on the Desire.

This still won't allow any app to do irreversible damage, as they still won't have access to the recovery partition - fom which you could always connect to adb and fix the problem or reflash. At least, it wouldn't be a higher risk than what you have already as soon as you have root.

It all comes down to the software requiring root you install (or rather, give root access), and potential security risks regarding the possibility for bugs in Superuser.apk. Any bug there leaves your device wide open.

I don't think we will see a big rush of apps requiring root. Too few have it, and besides, any funvtion there is a wide spread average-consumer need for, will have an app.

And, yes, I would like fuse-compress on /data/data too (man, that consumes space!), but that is not stable/fully working due maybe to permission problems, if I read the thread correctly.

I could ofc use A2SD, but I think it is by design a less-than-optimal solution. My phone should work without an SD card if the SD card dies or I need to remove it /change it for some reason, and there are potential issues both with performanc, stability and lifetime of the SD card.

Yes, and this will fix/enable both Metamorph, AdBlock and Droidwall.

I am aware of the security implication (I posted about the allow_other option in the thread). Still, there is quite easy to make sure only root has access to read/write as appropriate. This no different from how Custom ROMs have always worked with Android (and everywhere else) - root has access to everything. Only the Desires lcoked down SPL has prevented this from working "as intended" on the Desire.

thanks for your explainations!

while i fully agree with the advantages of "full-time" possibillity of root, i'm still not that optimistic about security

as for A2SD+ vs froyo apps2sd and regarding having a full functional phone even if the sdcard crashes:

i like the idea of a spare scdard in my netbook/desktop sdcard reader and automatic wirless partial (only data that have changed) syncing with rsync over ssh on a regular base

btw: in the fuse-thread there is a first rom with system r/w

Edited by woti17

As mentioned a couple of times, WiFi proxy support please!

wifi proxy is supported, use proxymator.apk

(you need iptables)

wifi proxy with authentication is unsupported, that's no rom thing but an android limitation - thanks google

maybe you could get arround it if you don't bother to setup an openradius server for authentication

Edited by woti17

thanks for your explainations!

while i fully agree with the advantages of "full-time" possibillity of root, i'm still not that optimistic about security

as for A2SD+ vs froyo apps2sd and regarding having a full functional phone even if the sdcard crashes:

i like the idea of a spare scdard in my netbook/desktop sdcard reader and automatic wirless partial (only data that have changed) syncing with rsync over ssh on a regular base

btw: in the fuse-thread there is a first rom with system r/w

Looks like the unrevoked guys are going to make the unionfs stuff obsolete for us :P

unrevoked: We took a short break from unrEVOked 3.2 to get you GSM Desire folks an S-OFF hboot. http://bit.ly/c5PWMz [coming soon after we ship 3.2]

Original Tweet: http://twitter.com/unrevoked/status/23085304999

Guest Shiva Ramabadran
OK peeps, keep the suggestions coming!

Building up the list of what to work on. :P

P

Circle battery mod (type C), semi-transparent notification bar (a'la espresso mod), color icon sets, if possible in framework_res.apk.

Thanks in advance!

Guest Chet T16
wifi proxy is supported, use proxymator.apk

(you need iptables)

wifi proxy with authentication is unsupported, that's no rom thing but an android limitation - thanks google

maybe you could get arround it if you don't bother to setup an openradius server for authentication

OK, i found and installed proxymator but i'm unable to test it as i'm not in college yet. I did put in the settings and start the service and i was unable to access anything via wifi so its doing something

Stopping the service didn't give net access back, i had to uninstall the app

What do you mean by needing iptables? Is this something i need to install?

Thanks

Guest Iceberger
OK, i found and installed proxymator but i'm unable to test it as i'm not in college yet. I did put in the settings and start the service and i was unable to access anything via wifi so its doing something

Thanks

Proxymator doesn't work for me...

Guest ganjamu
Things I would like to see:

A working browser which doesn't crash on pages like http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-10992762. It happens on quite a few others as well but I don't know if this is just an R5/6/7/8 thing or whether all ROMs including stock are affected - perhaps others can confirm. Please don't suggest using Dolphin or something else as I just want one browser which works properly, including the auto-flow.

I can confirm my browser crashes on certain pages since I began using R8, whereas this did not happen when I was using OD 4.0.

I'd like to see this theme added to the kitchen it looks great !

BluFrost MultiROM Theme

Also I know this is a Sense based ROM but in the future would it be possible to have a MCR Sense-Less ROM ?

Edited by ganjamu

Guest Shiva Ramabadran
Hmmm, i've leaned towards not doing this, what does everyone think?

P

Not attached to any particular implementation, but just want to see battery changes in more granularity than jumps of 20%. You trundle along thinking you have battery and suddenly you have a lot less. Any mod that shows a number in it, would be fine.

I also see a nice one in this theme. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=759449

Thanks

the version of iptables depends on your rom, you need a newer one, i believe paul changed it in r8

if you have DroidWall - disable it - it uses iptables too

the same for wifi theter ... everything that uses iptables should be disabled when testing

proxymator should show you on screen when starting:

setting iptables rules

setting up tcp tunnel

setting up dns forwarder

if you have a pc you could install the proxy server "privoxy" (win or linux) to test

www.privoxy.org

I can confirm my browser crashes on certain pages since I began using R8, whereas this did not happen when I was using OD 4.0.

BluFrost MultiROM Theme

Also I know this is a Sense based ROM but in the future would it be possible to have a MCR Sense-Less ROM ?

there will always be webpages that will not work with different browsers, someone heard of mozilla rewriting its browsers because a few people couldn't open certain sites?

what to you think paul could do? rewrite a browser from scratch?

the above side works flawlessly for me in dolphin and standard htc browser with autoflow

well, try disable/enable mobile websight

or

repair permissions in rommanager (helped me because after flashing a new rom the browser cache had wrong permissions, and all browsers crashed randomly)

Guest Paveway98

Since installing r8 I've been having a problem with my charger - everytime I plug into my car charger it appears to unmount the SD card. There is no icon in the notifications, so I can't change it to 'Charge Only' (although my default is charge only anyway!)

This prevents certain things working, such as music. Is this a problem with Froyo or the ROM?

Any help, or a fix at r9 would be very much appreciated.

Guest ganjamu
there will always be webpages that will not work with different browsers, someone heard of mozilla rewriting its browsers because a few people couldn't open certain sites?

what to you think paul could do? rewrite a browser from scratch?

the above side works flawlessly for me in dolphin and standard htc browser with autoflow

well, try disable/enable mobile websight

or

repair permissions in rommanager (helped me because after flashing a new rom the browser cache had wrong permissions, and all browsers crashed randomly)

Woti don't jump to conclusions I never said nor implied that Paul should rewrite the browser, all I did was state that the default browser crashed when I tried to visit certain websites.

Anyway I have another suggestion, please replace the existing Power Control Widget with the one included in Cyanogen Mod and OpenDesire.

Edited by ganjamu

Guest David_P

BluFrost MultiROM Theme

If you have ad-free or modaco plus membership, you can remove sense from the rom in the MCR Kitchen and bake it senseless :-D