07/Mar Fr11 - WITH SENSE: MoDaCo Custom ROM for HTC Desire with Online Kitchen (2.2 / Froyo)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest logicalextreme
2. The Mobile Internet keeps on being disabled and stops me from using it when I am out and about. I have to go into Settings---Wireless & networks---Mobile networks---Access Point Names. And all I see is that the mobile internet and MMS are both disabled. The only way of correcting this is if I manually correct it.

This is an example of what I see: "Orange Internetwsp-disabled". And its should read "Orange Internet".

+1 for reading the thread. I know it's long, but if you're really into this you could do a few pages a day and catch up, learning a lot of stuff along the way about this ROM, Android in general and things you didn't know you cared about!

But I will address your second question -- a number of applications and/or services that are designed to control your data connection (either by manual or automatic means) will change your APN because sometimes they are unable to directly control the AP status. Changing the name is a workaround -- change an existing, functioning one to something else, and it's effectively disabled; change it back and it's re-enabled. This definitely seems like that has happened -- you had "Orange Internet" and a program changed it to "Orange Internetwsp-disabled".

Googling I could only find this which has no resolution at present. Take a look through your applications and see if you can spot a likely culprit.

Guest logicalextreme
I have tried almost everything there is to try:

I left it out of the bake from the outset in order to get it to work with mine. I then either installed from the Market or from a zip in recovery, I forget which. Either way it's now attached to my Market and works. Not sure if it'd work for you, maybe something to consider when there's an update (I can't be bothered rebaking much!).

Guest Kiran J. Holla
I left it out of the bake from the outset in order to get it to work with mine. I then either installed from the Market or from a zip in recovery, I forget which. Either way it's now attached to my Market and works. Not sure if it'd work for you, maybe something to consider when there's an update (I can't be bothered rebaking much!).

To be honest, I think I tried that too. But not sure since I have tried so many things, I forget which ones.

In any case, I will probably give it a try when I find the time.

Regards,

Kiran

Guest logicalextreme
well actually it doesn't recover, it's doing hard work to optimize classes.dex files from .apk's

you can watch it - btw:

adb shell logcat (with usb connected)

D/installd( 120): DexInv: --- BEGIN '/system/app/Phone.apk' ---

D/dalvikvm( 180): DexOpt: load 280ms, verify 1894ms, opt 183ms

D/installd( 120): DexInv: --- END '/system/app/Phone.apk' (success) ---

if you have a bootloop, you can see it (it's mostly not related to dexopt and maybe make conclusions whats causing it) in the logcat

Nice tip! I'm definitely going to be right on that next time I flash. Out of interest primarily, but also clearly useful for detecting a bootloop!

Guest Shadow75
Search is your friend.

This has come up many many many times.

Are you using any app that will restrict your network access?

I know there's a few out there that will rename your APN's depending on what the setup is. Useful for people like me who have 250mb of data to use and have to keep a usage tracker running!

Hi Jamien

Thanks for input but no luck whatsover.

There is definitely an issue with Google Maps on r9 ROM.

I am not using any apps that will restrict any of my network access as made sure of this anddone all the necessary checks.

Thanks for your help though.

Guest Shadow75
Yes, this has come many times and I myself have been hunting for a solution for quite some time now.

I have tried almost everything there is to try:

• Manually deleting the Maps.apk from thr R9 zip file before flashing and then trying an install from the market
  • Deleting the Maps.apk from /system/app and installing the latest Maps.apk using ADB, then uninstalling it using Settings -> Applications and then trying a install from the market.
  • Deleting the Maps.apk from /system/app and installing the latest Maps.apk using ADB, then uninstalling it using Titanium Backup and then trying an install from the market

But, nothing seems to work on R8 or R9 :)

This is still a problem for me, which, I guessed I would have to just live with.

Regards,

Kiran

Hi Kiran

I have the same issue as yourself.

I did exactly as you tried but with no luck whatsover. At least I know I am not on my own now.

Lets hope Paul comes up with a great solution. We all appreciate all your very hard work Paul. Keep it up.

Guest logicalextreme
Hi Kiran

I have the same issue as yourself.

I did exactly as you tried but with no luck whatsover. At least I know I am not on my own now.

Lets hope Paul comes up with a great solution. We all appreciate all your very hard work Paul. Keep it up.

Did you try my suggestion from above, i.e. not baking it into the ROM in the first place, and then installing from the Market or an update.zip? Note that I made sure to destroy any and all r8 Maps apk and data backups from Titanium first.

Guest Shadow75
Did you try my suggestion from above, i.e. not baking it into the ROM in the first place, and then installing from the Market or an update.zip? Note that I made sure to destroy any and all r8 Maps apk and data backups from Titanium first.

Hi Logicalextreme,

Thanks for help.

I will try all that later today as using phone at moment. I will let you know how I get on with it.

Do you know how to stop the APN disabling everytime the phone boots? This is only happening with the r9 ROM. Just thought I would ask as no one else has a clue as others I hear have this problem too.

Many thanks for your help and comments :)

Guest xps 2.100

Silly question.

When the r10wip is released, sometime between today and the end of the world (hurry up Paul, 2012 :) ), the current r9wip as is will become the final r9?

I am planning to install the final r9 from scratch (wipe). Do i install the current r9 or do i have to wait?

Thanks for the info.
He has a good point. Let the man live and go watch a cartoon or something in the meantime.

Paul will create a new rom when he does it. Pushing him into it is counter productive.

Guest fredaroony
He has a good point. Let the man live and go watch a cartoon or something in the meantime.

Paul will create a new rom when he does it. Pushing him into it is counter productive.

Yeah its only been a month since the last "frequent" update so there is no hurry!! lol

Guest xps 2.100

OK, my fault. My english sucks.

I am just asking if the actual r9wip will be the final r9 without changes when the r10wip is released.

Do you know how to stop the APN disabling everytime the phone boots?

i know that toggle widgets like quick settings, power controls, extended controls ore other toggles (i don't know all the names of them and which exactly does), do this disabling by name changing.

maybe you had such a program installed once, maybe with titanium restore it got accidentally installed again and you don't know it's running even when there is no widget there anymore?

if you use autostart or similar also programs also can be started unwanted

maybe you can google for the name which is written in your apn point, without the name of your apn point, its likely to be the name of the producer of the app.

Edited by woti17

Guest Shadow75
i know that toggle widgets like quick settings, power controls, extended controls ore other toggles (i don't know all the names of them and which exactly does), do this disabling by name changing.

maybe you had such a program installed once, maybe with titanium restore it got accidentally installed again and you don't know it's running even when there is no widget there anymore?

if you use autostart or similar also programs also can be started unwanted

maybe you can google for the name which is written in your apn point, without the name of your apn point, its likely to be the name of the producer of the app.

Hi woti17,

Thanks for your advice it is much appreciated. I will have a look. I do use Autostart to monitor whats being used and control my apps. And Titanium Backup is a great app to have.

This issue happens even before any apps are installed onto my phone straght after I have installed the r9 ROM. As soon as I activate my Wifi, then the problem starts as I cannot reactivate the Mobile internet, as its disabled. It says "wsp disabled".

I have re-done this so many times and keep coming up with the same issue. The mobile internet works great before I activate my Wifi, then it all goes wrong.

I was just wondering if it maybe an issue with the r9 ROM.

Apologies for being a pain in the ass!! Hey we all got to learn somewhere, as I am learning more and more about Android phones each day.

Thanks again :)

This issue happens even before any apps are installed onto my phone straght after I have installed the r9 ROM. As soon as I activate my Wifi, then the problem starts as I cannot reactivate the Mobile internet, as its disabled. It says "wsp disabled".

I have re-done this so many times and keep coming up with the same issue. The mobile internet works great before I activate my Wifi, then it all goes wrong.

i can only guess, but WSP in this case could mean Wireless Session Protocol, like WAP (Wireless Application Protocol)?

edit:

deactivating WSP seems to deactived mobile connection, and is used ie from juicedefender

do you/have you used juicedefender, it also could come from this app?

Edited by woti17

Guest volatile_ink

Just a thought (or two):

1. Try re-flashing the rom

2. Try a different radio+ril

3. Different expert options for WiFi in the kitchen and re-flash

What are you using to enable/disable wifi. When I use the HTC Toggle widget the icon for my data connection goes, but it re-appears when wifi is disabled. If your using something non-standard to control Wifi maybe it's causing a problem/conflict.

Guest pseudoreal

hi guys,

I do have an issue with Ad Free since my latest clean install or R9 (before it did work though).

It simply wont update the hosts file.

When I start AdFree for the very first time, it asks me for root permissions - GRANTED

Then AdFree tells me that there is no need to update the hosts file as it is already up-to-date, which definetly is not the case as I see ads all over the place.

So I click on Download and Install Hosts and after a while I get this message: "Error. Failed to replace your hosts file. Error Message: "

Any Idea how to fix that?

Thanks

Guest templebar
Yeah its only been a month since the last "frequent" update so there is no hurry!! lol

Yeah but Paul is GOD, how often does god give you something :)

Guest JCB_Digger
i can only guess, but WSP in this case could mean Wireless Session Protocol, like WAP (Wireless Application Protocol)?

edit:

deactivating WSP seems to deactived mobile connection, and is used ie from juicedefender

do you/have you used juicedefender, it also could come from this app?

Perhaps the WSP is for WiSyncPlus (a battery saving App that mucks about with your APN's?)

http://www.gearsoft.mobi/products/product/3

Edited by JCB_Digger

Guest Liassic

Hi,

I've been lurking this thread for a while.

It seems to me that a few people here need to take a deep look at themselves.

I paid my £10 for ad-free and access to the kitchen. I created a ROM from the kitchen, installed it, didn't exactly like it, created another one with slightly different options, installed that, tested it, liked it and then USED MY PHONE. It does the job. My £10 was well spent. I don't care where or when r10, r11 or whatever comes along. If a new release comes along then great I'll look at it and decide whether to take it after it matures a while. The £10 was worth it for that install alone.

All I know is that Paul is a clever guy who's does some great stuff and I'm happy to slip him a few quid for what he's done.

His work has given me flexibility to set up my phone the way that I want to, rather than the way that Google or my phone provider wants to force on me.

To the moaners and trolls on this thread, I suggest that you revert your phone back to the standard ROM, unroot and do something more useful with your lives. There's more to life than spending all your time looking for every tweak to your phone or moaning to the world on how you're hard done by. All I know is that this guy is a lot cleverer than you or I and I really appreciate that.

Well done Paul, ignore the small % of moaners, the rest of us appreciate what you've done. :)