03/Sep r2 (8105) WIP - MoDaCo Custom ROM for the Dell Streak (Android 2.1) Online Kitchen

Guest PaulOBrien

This topic is for the WIP (work in progress) r2 release of my Streak ROM.

WIP ROMs are updated very frequently and as such are only available in the online kitchen until such time as they are considered 'complete' and prebakes are prepared.

The latest general release version, r1, is available in this topic.

See the changelog in post 3 for changes since r1.

This ROM should be applied using Koush's custom recovery (available in this forum), baseband GAUSB1A120621 is recommended (installed by flashing the official 8105 update package).

P

There may be a short wait while the load balancing software determines the best kitchen to serve your ROM. The kitchen should appear below within 20 seconds.

Changelog

03/Sep 17:45 BST

• Initial Post
  • Based on 8105 release, optimised
  • Added ChainsDD's superuser
  • Added terminfo
  • Added busybox
  • Added custom boot logo (no more O2 logo)
  • First hit at making 'engineering' apps optional, likely some i've missed
  • Updated third party apps (Facebook, Sugarsync, Twitter, Amazon etc.)
  • Removed 'reflash recovery on reboot'

Guest Warpedflash

Just used this to install a minimal rom (only included maps and youtube) and its working great :P cheers paul!

Also yay all teh stuff that was missing from my market is back!

Edited by Warpedflash

Guest spacecat46
I've not used the 00 Beta, so I couldn't say, I am testing on a 21 device.

P

Im on an unlocked dell 00 which I converted to 21 to access the 2.1 beta so am I now on a definitive 21?

It doesnt matter what i do i cant flash this ROM. Ive flashed the custom recovery and tried the commands that fix the recovery over write, but it never boots into recovery, it just reboots normally. If i restart ROM Manager afterwards it says there were errors. Im using an O2 21 device running the 2.1 official.

Guest Warpedflash
It doesnt matter what i do i cant flash this ROM. Ive flashed the custom recovery and tried the commands that fix the recovery over write, but it never boots into recovery, it just reboots normally. If i restart ROM Manager afterwards it says there were errors. Im using an O2 21 device running the 2.1 official.

Flash the recovery found here then boot stright into the recovery next time you turn the phone on (so i just did adb reboot while holding the vol buttons until the menu had laded) and you should get into the menu ok.

Edited by Warpedflash

Guest Spike8585
Im on an unlocked dell 00 which I converted to 21 to access the 2.1 beta so am I now on a definitive 21?

I know this is a super noob question, but how do you convert it to 21?

By flashing the O2 Rom?

Guest miker71

so I was on the 8xxx less than 8105 ... so flashed to 8105 to get the baseband.

after applying the superboot i get the flashing LED thing (my device was originally a '00' out of the box) ... i think i saw somewhere that re-doing superboot fixes the flashing LED thing ... however in my case it has not.

i was/am using the guide found at

http://android.modaco.com/content/dell-str...rboot-recovery/

or is superboot not needed on the 8105 build (since it's already wide open with root?) and i should have gone straight to flashing koush's recovery??

so I was on the 8xxx less than 8105 ... so flashed to 8105 to get the baseband.

after applying the superboot i get the flashing LED thing (my device was originally a '00' out of the box) ... i think i saw somewhere that re-doing superboot fixes the flashing LED thing ... however in my case it has not.

i was/am using the guide found at

http://android.modaco.com/content/dell-str...rboot-recovery/

or is superboot not needed on the 8105 build (since it's already wide open with root?) and i should have gone straight to flashing koush's recovery??

Don't use superboot unless its for the same rom version... if you need to root, then use universal andoroot instead

Using an old superboot will only result in misery :P

Yeah, I think mine was a 00 originally too (red streak).

P

Paul, i have still a native 6267 build on my streak, rooted with universal androot. So if you explain how extract the recovery some of us will be very happy. I have used a cat of the recovery mtd but i am not sure that we can flash it without some repacking....

Guest miker71
Don't use superboot unless its for the same rom version... if you need to root, then use universal andoroot instead

Using an old superboot will only result in misery :P

well, everything still boots up ... and flashing the koush recovery mode didn't work for me either :-/

just when you think something is idiot proof ... along comes a better idiot ;-)

Edit: actually, Clockwork Recovery did popup from the Dell recovery when I was trying to re-apply the original 8105 as Update.pkg .. didn't see that coming

Have successfully applied a ROM from the kitchen, booting now .... nice splash screen :-)

Edit: perhaps not so successfully - stuck on the bootsplash, it blinks and loops ... guess i'll be looking at backtracking everything to some sort of stock recovery + ROM once i've had some sleep and less tired,

Edit: I've never been happier to see that O2 splash screen :-)

flashed the stock recovery back (the one available on the other thread) then applied 8105 via Update.pkg from the sdcard. no more blinking LEDs, and a working Streak, phew.

that's enough excitement for me tonight!

Edited by miker71

Guest CharlieBareham

My rom seems to be stuck at the bootscreen? The custom one Paul has put in shows up, then it flickers and goes back to that screen again over and over. Unless it has a >5minute bootscreen time for first boot?

Guest T_r_i_s

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

I flash Koush's 2.5.0.1 recovery image as per pinned topic - says successful/done etc. Remove battery to turn handset off (power button does not seem to function after flash) and then boot into recovery (power + vol buttons)

Have tried it 3 times now, just get the stock recovery screen with the 4 options each time???

Edited by T_r_i_s

i am trying to flash recovery Koush's 2.5.0.1 but all i get is the white screen with fastboot when i click on install bat saying waiting for usb connect do i need to install some abd drivers if so from where?

Guest T_r_i_s
Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

I flash Koush's 2.5.0.1 recovery image as per pinned topic - says successful/done etc. Remove battery to turn handset off (power button does not seem to function after flash) and then boot into recovery (power + vol buttons)

Have tried it 3 times now, just get the stock recovery screen with the 4 options each time???

Found the answer here

So this is what happened to me last night:

I wanted to do a nandroid backup and followed the insuctions in the first post including the amendments regarding ADB

I'd go back to the recovery rom by using the power and two volume keys to only be presented with the same 4 default options.

What I didnt know was that the flash had been succesful every time and that I actually had choose the option to update the device using the update.pkg to see the extra options (including nandroid)

Paul can you please update the instructions and make it clear that this is the case. It took me over and hour to figure that out since I was worried about accidentally restoring using the update.pkg file

Paul - please can you update the instructions as choosing 'update using update.pkg' is not a very intuitive way to get into custom recovery mode (if you have not done it before)! :P

Cheers

With this update my LED buttons are off most of the time, only periodically blinking 6-7 times then returning to off state.

Edited by raidet