Is Modaco as flaky on Desire as on Pulse?

Guest Nikki Locke

Guest Nikki Locke

I'm fed up with my T-Mobile Pulse - it is just too slow and flaky. Lots of force close or wait messages, some complete hangs. I'm running the Modaco Android 2.1 ROM on it. If I go back to stock 1.6 it is a little less flaky, but I can only install about 1/10th of the apps I would like before it runs out of space.

df -h says:

Filesystem size M/used M/available M

tmpfs (/dev) 52.7/12.0K/52.7M

tmpfs (sqlite) 4.0/0/4.0

system 100.0/97.5/2.5

/data 90.3/77.8/12.4

/cache 20.0/5.0/15.0

/system/sd 457.4/47.1/385.9

/sdcard 6.9G/4.3G/2.75G

Available space on the phone, according to Settings, is 12.44MB. But I still have to uninstall some apps in order to install others.

So I bit the bullet, and ordered an HTC Desire. I'm expecting a rock solid, fast experience. The question now is, do I install the Modaco 2.2 ROM with APPS2SD+? Is it slightly flaky, like the Pulse, or rock solid? And do I need APPS2SD if I'm installing 2.2 (I thought 2.2 could install stuff on the sdcard by itself)?

When I was rooted I had no issues with the MCR r8 2.2 ROM - solid as a rock. A2SD is needed if you're going to installing loads of apps, I use the stock 2.2 A2SD as I only use about 5-10 apps but most of them aren't movable but I've still got 99MB free

In all reality you will probably be happy with the stock 2.2 rom if you're mostly concerned about snappyness and the apps2SD. the stock 2.2 apps2sd is kind of limited and you need to manually move them over but it does the job. it doesnt yet work for all apps (i think this is an app developer issue).

I use MoDaCo and love it for the few extra options it gives me like having perflock off permanently allowing underclocking when idle for power saving, titanium backup, and theearlier updates than waiting for new ROMs to be pushed to my phone from my carrier. it's also flawlessly smooth, silky smooth even, i cant fault it!

Hope this helps.

Guest Diggedy

keep in mind with the non froyo apps2sd there is a bug which can cause corruption of your SD card if you connect your phone to pc using disk drive mode. This isnt a Modaco issue, its present on all 2.2 roms and there are workarounds but none are ideal, at least for me anyway so I now only use the native version. as far as i know it isnt present on 2.1 roms though. That being said, you will get a rock solid experience with a desire, particularly using a modaco rom

Edited by Diggedy

Guest le_lutin
I'm fed up with my T-Mobile Pulse - it is just too slow and flaky. Lots of force close or wait messages, some complete hangs. I'm running the Modaco Android 2.1 ROM on it. If I go back to stock 1.6 it is a little less flaky, but I can only install about 1/10th of the apps I would like before it runs out of space.

I moved from the Pulse to the Desire myself and can safely say that you're gonna love it. Pulse's speed just wasn't up to the job unfortunately (was ok on 1.6, but 2.1 was pushing it).

Anyway, i have only ever used the froyo implementation of apps2sd, and I have found that it does the job for me. I installed a version of spare parts which forces the "move to sd card" option even for apps where the developer hasn't enabled it. For me, this frees up as much space as I need without worrying about sd card corruption.

I believe titanium backup also has an option to force apps to the sd card (I *think* this uses the froyo apps2sd method).

Edited by le_lutin

Good choice: I went from Pulse to Desire a few months ago, and that changed my life!

Ok, not really, but the Desire is a phone on which Android runs the way it is meant, instead of sluggish and annoying.

The MCR isn't flaky at all, nor is Cyonagen, OpenDesire, or any of the the choices you have. Have fun!

Edited by bas-r

When I was rooted I had no issues with the MCR r8 2.2 ROM - solid as a rock. A2SD is needed if you're going to installing loads of apps, I use the stock 2.2 A2SD as I only use about 5-10 apps but most of them aren't movable but I've still got 99MB free

Nah, google baked in A2SD for most apps, so you don't desperately need it :P

Guest blackcoffee85

The only issue I have (and keep having) is the device refusing to sync, and Google Talk crashing instantly upon launch (these two are related) - don't know if it's MoDaCo's fault though

Guest Mr Taylor

I keep trying others ROMS (Cyanogen, AOSP, etc) and while they may be faster, they consume more battery (Scary) and I find less reliable than MoDaCo ROM's I am happy with R9 WIP and dont see any FC issues at all. I also use the A2SD+ in the ROM, with Perflock disabled and the new governor scripts.

Battery life was truly ace today :P

Guest preetkk

I've had T-Mobile Pulse (UK) since December 2009

Got an HTC Desire on Vodafone factory sealed and unlocked :P on Thursday 02/09/10 and it was a huge jump from the Pulse but I only used the Desire for one day as the Trackpad stopped navigating on it but still clicks so waiting for courier to come with a replacement.

BUT the Desire is a 200% Improvement from the Pulse if anyone is wondering. I had the Pulse rooted with 2.1 custom FW on it BUT the Desire in the 24 hours I was using it (in its box right now so courier can replace it) I personally see no reason to root it as of yet.

Everything on the Desire is much better than the Pulse - Software wise and Hardware wise

I've had the Pulse as my main phone (Calls, Texts, Internet) for 9 months

The HTC Desire is Google's iPhone 4

Edited by preetkk

Guest le_lutin
I've had T-Mobile Pulse (UK) since December 2009

Got an HTC Desire on Vodafone factory sealed and unlocked :P on Thursday 02/09/10 and it was a huge jump from the Pulse but I only used the Desire for one day as the Trackpad stopped navigating on it but still clicks so waiting for courier to come with a replacement.

BUT the Desire is a 200% Improvement from the Pulse if anyone is wondering. I had the Pulse rooted with 2.1 custom FW on it BUT the Desire in the 24 hours I was using it (in its box right now so courier can replace it) I personally see no reason to root it as of yet.

Everything on the Desire is much better than the Pulse - Software wise and Hardware wise

I've had the Pulse as my main phone (Calls, Texts, Internet) for 9 months

The HTC Desire is Google's iPhone 4

Well - not everything is better - the speaker on the Pulse was better!

Guest Mushhushshu

Been using Modaco on my desire since 2.1 (r3.1 I think) and found all versions sofar rock solid, even the WIP roms were very stable and had relatively few small bugs. Using the r8 release now and its fantastic, havent had a single freeze with any modaco rom. Only good things to say about them really.

Guest Nikki Locke
Please can you help me in my other thread - I appear to have bricked my new Desire!

Well, I got it sorted in another thread. I'm very happy with my desire. I find not many of my apps will go to sdcard though. But I still have most installed and haven't run out of memory yet.

I can't find some apps in the market though - eg Location Power Saving plugin.

Guest le_lutin
Well, I got it sorted in another thread. I'm very happy with my desire. I find not many of my apps will go to sdcard though. But I still have most installed and haven't run out of memory yet.

I can't find some apps in the market though - eg Location Power Saving plugin.

Are you just using the default froyo method for moving apps to your sd card?

There's full A2SD+ which you need a rooted phone for. Paul has it as an option in the kitchen of the r8 2.2 ROM

It basically forces all apps installed to the SD card (and dalvik cache if you want it). You need to partition your SD card but can save tons of space

Guest le_lutin
Yes - is there another way?

What I mean by that is that froyo only allows you to move an app to sd where the dev has specifically allowed it the apps config.

Now, some devs simply haven't bothered updating their app to add this froyo specifc config, even though it could/should be possible to move it to sd card.

What I did was install a version of spare parts which forces the "move to sd" option even where the dev hasn't specifically enabled it.

Here it is:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=702997

set the apps2sd option to external.

Note that you shouldn't move widgeted apps to the sd, nor should you move input methods to the sd.

I think titanium backup also has an option to move apps to sd, but I haven't tried this.

Guest Nikki Locke

Thanks, Eddy - I am saving Apps2SD for when I run out of space (having had slightly dodgy experiences with it on the Pulse).

I used Titanuim to move a couple of the larger apps to the sd (CoPilot was the biggest). I found moving Flash to SD seemed to make it work slowly, so moved it back.

Titanium doesn't offer the option to move QuickOffice (which is quite big, but very useful).

Guest Mr Taylor

I have all my apps on sd via a2sd+ and have no issues with my R9 WIP rom.. I have tried numerous roms and always come back to MoDaCo versions; they are ace and rock solid :lol: