Unable to update google maps on R8!

Guest Vulpix

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if google maps is in /system, it can't be upgraded.

This can't be entirely true as I have google maps baked in (i.e. in system) and updates previous to this one have installed without issue. I must say I'm a little irritated that I'm going to have to bake a new ROM to get this updated - suffice to say I will be leaving Maps out of it this time and installing it from the market afterwards.

finally a solution that worked for me without rebaking:

1. used recovery and adb to get rid of old maps in /system

2. used the extracted apk (from this thread) and installed via adb (installed to /data) [installing the apk directly failed]

-> new maps was there but not shown as installed in the market

3. deinstalled via app-manager

4. reinstalled from market.

Now i have latest maps and it is shown in the market as installed.

Marcus

Edited by marcuso

r8 kitchen updated to latest Google Maps, Google Quick Search Box and Flash Player.

P

Now the new google map is in the r8 rom, but the "Street View on Google Maps" still doesn't want to install (with a "package not signed correctly" message). Is there any way, to get the custom roms in such a way that these errors do not occur? Or will these problems always exists with google apps that are baked into MCR's?

Remco

Guest headcleaner

2. used the extracted apk (from this thread) and installed via adb (installed to /data) [installing the apk directly failed]

Marcus

yep, worked for me as well.

Marcus

Whats the adb commandos to push or install the apk into /data?

TIA

Edited by Pittek

Guest LeszekSwirski

Marcus

Hmm, I get "Failure [iNSTALL_FAILED_SHARED_USER_INCOMPATIBLE]" trying to install via adb.

Whats the adb commandos to push or install the apk into /data?

TIA

just "adb install xxx.apk" and it gets installed in data (default)

I just had had to to do this in "normal" mode (not recovery - which is onyl needed if accessing /system) because i have legacy apps2sd running (i guess beacause of the symlinks)

Marcus

Now the new google map is in the r8 rom, but the "Street View on Google Maps" still doesn't want to install (with a "package not signed correctly" message). Is there any way, to get the custom roms in such a way that these errors do not occur? Or will these problems always exists with google apps that are baked into MCR's?

Remco

confirmed - even if i managed to get proper installation of recent maps from market (see my other post) streetview still fails.

BUT: i can access streetview in maps as well ... you just need to zoom down to street level, long-touch a street and click on the small popup with the streetname .. then there is a streetview icon on the top of the page that openes then. Not as nice as the extra-app, but works ;-)

Edited by marcuso

just "adb install xxx.apk" and it gets installed in data (default)

I just had had to to do this in "normal" mode (not recovery - which is onyl needed if accessing /system) because i have legacy apps2sd running (i guess beacause of the symlinks)

Marcus

Ok, my bad i tried this in recovery and it didnt worked.

But when i try it in "normal" mode (system booted up and running or what does it mean?), i get the same error as poster above "Failure [iNSTALL_FAILED_SHARED_USER_INCOMPATIBLE]"

Any clues?

I removed it from /system before, now i am somehow "map-less" lol

Edited by Pittek

Ok, my bad i tried this in recovery and it didnt worked.

But when i try it in "normal" mode (system booted up and running or what does it mean?), i get the same error as poster above "Failure [iNSTALL_FAILED_SHARED_USER_INCOMPATIBLE]"

Any clues?

I removed it from /system before, now i am somehow "map-less" lol

Actually this was the first time i experimented with adb (just had no need before ;-) .. and that error-message does not say anything to me. Just googled a bit and found some posts wheren this error was thrown when certificates did not match an installed app. But i actually don´t know if this is the case here as well.

What always should work (if you are map-less now) is to get the apk from the old maps (e.g. extract it from the old baked rom) and just install it on the phone itself. (at least that worked for me during my "experiments" ;-)

Actually this was the first time i experimented with adb (just had no need before ;-) .. and that error-message does not say anything to me. Just googled a bit and found some posts wheren this error was thrown when certificates did not match an installed app. But i actually don´t know if this is the case here as well.

What always should work (if you are map-less now) is to get the apk from the old maps (e.g. extract it from the old baked rom) and just install it on the phone itself. (at least that worked for me during my "experiments" ;-)

Thanks again...i did a nandroid so its a matter of minutes to get the old Maps back.

However its somehow unsatisfying for me :P

Would like to have them installed on my R8, and rebaking is not my 1st option because my framework is so sexed up i would need days to rebuild it the way i have it now.

So maybe any expert here has a clue of how to install the new Maps without rebaking?

Cheers, love u all :)

Edited by Pittek

Remove it with adb and then just get it from the Market

this was not working for me (and others) - thats why i posted the "bumpy road to success" how i managed it, which somehow does not work for him ;-)

Remove it with adb and then just get it from the Market

I did.

I 1st removed it via shell from /system, rebooted, downloaded from market -> installation failed.

Then I tried the method with installing it via adb, but this ends with "Failure [iNSTALL_FAILED_SHARED_USER_INCOMPATIBLE]" .

Maybe i did something wrong, so anyone has the steps if old map version is still installed?

I'd try this way

1) boot into recovery

2) "adb shell mount /system/"

3) "adb shell rm /system/app/Maps.apk"

This should get me rid of the excisting old version, right?

When rebooting phone, Maps are gone like expected, but installation from market still fails?

Sorry I dont work often with adb...

Guest LeszekSwirski
Thanks again...i did a nandroid so its a matter of minutes to get the old Maps back.

However its somehow unsatisfying for me :P

Would like to have them installed on my R8, and rebaking is not my 1st option because my framework is so sexed up i would need days to rebuild it the way i have it now.

So maybe any expert here has a clue of how to install the new Maps without rebaking?

Cheers, love u all :)

Well, I got it to work, here's what I did:

• In recovery: remove /system/app/Maps.apk
  • Copy Maps.apk from the r8 zip
  • In normal mode: adb install Maps.apk
  • Uninstall Maps on the phone (using ASTRO, any uninstall app should be fine)
  • Install from Market

Convoluted, yes, but removing any of these steps made the install fail. I'm sure you can use "adb uninstall" instead of using ASTRO, but I wanted to list my exact steps.

Guest rowanparker
  • Install from Market

Convoluted, yes, but removing any of these steps made the install fail. I'm sure you can use "adb uninstall" instead of using ASTRO, but I wanted to list my exact steps.

Worked perfectly, thank you!

• Install from Market

Rock on, perfect! Thx...

• Install from Market

worked perfectly for me too on r9!

Thank You!

Guest noon dawg
  • Install from Market

I managed to remove old Map.apk in 'recover mode' with above method but when I tried to adb install new Map.apk in 'normal mode' I get "Failure [iNSTALL_FAILED_SHARED_USER_INCOMPATIBLE]" .

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated as I am a total N00B to custom ROM etc

• Install from Market

Thanks, but it doesn't work for me, when I try to install it via market I get a unknown error: -8

Thanks. But somehow, after following the steps exactly, installation is still unsuccessful. no idea why.

Edit:

Oh, i get the same error "Failure [iNSTALL_FAILED_SHARED_USER_INCOMPATIBLE]" if i try to adb install the new Maps.apk.

But it works when i adb install the Maps 4.4.0 apk taken from r8.zip. However, after i uninstall maps and tried to update in market again (step 4 and 5), it still is unsuccessful.

Any ideas? Thanks

Edited by l0nEr