I just picked up my San Francisco! Findings as I go in here...

Guest PaulOBrien

Anyone have any app freezing issues after unlock? Talking Tom cat always freezes after 30 secs, ime not that bothered about the app more why this happens, works ok on pulse

Guest ambisingh

does anyone know where i can get usb drivers for windows xp home 32bit as the SF isn't being recognized by the pc

Thanks

Edited by ambisingh

Guest will7201
Anyone have any app freezing issues after unlock? Talking Tom cat always freezes after 30 secs, ime not that bothered about the app more why this happens, works ok on pulse

Oh no! I really love this App, anyone else having this prob'. Can someone install it just to test!

I laugh like a kid at that cat. Sad really.

Will.

this is pretty interesting.

http://www.addictivetips.com/mobile/how-to...eclair-devices/

just installed successfully - don't have bandwidth to test it though. :/

Well first impressions are excellent, the device feels pretty well built in the hand (more HTC than cheap crap but not qutie upto the standard of the latest HTC's - not a criticism mind) and unlocking through to use has been fine. The screen truly is gorgeous. Only hickup was when adding the APN details for 3 piror to unlocking; a common bug it appears is that when you enter one of the fields (MNC I think) and hit "Save" the APN actually appears to delete itself. When I rebooted the phone with my 3 SIM in I had a load of '3' APN's as they had all actually been saved - odd but resolved now it would seem.

Guest Quicklite
Well first impressions are excellent, the device feels pretty well built in the hand (more HTC than cheap crap but not qutie upto the standard of the latest HTC's - not a criticism mind) and unlocking through to use has been fine. The screen truly is gorgeous. Only hickup was when adding the APN details for 3 piror to unlocking; a common bug it appears is that when you enter one of the fields (MNC I think) and hit "Save" the APN actually appears to delete itself. When I rebooted the phone with my 3 SIM in I had a load of '3' APN's as they had all actually been saved - odd but resolved now it would seem.

Indeed - SF feels just right in my hand. mate has a htc desire, which while a tad more solidly constructed, feels a bit oversized imo. SF's screen is very good, almost as contrasty as htc's samsung panal from what i could see. still curious whether the screen is protected my glass or just plastic now. funny i saving APN setting deleted the entry first time around too. just testing launchpro now, very solid stuff.

Hi guys been reading this thread with great excitement. Im an N900 user but wanted a second phone and since android has come along quite nicely I was looking for a HTC Desire until I saw this! I have a few questions before I rush to the store and get one of these bad boys.

Does the phone have proper GPS so I can use it to accurately track my jogging?

Does Swype work on this?

How hard is it to create cook a rom :lol: Im an Android newb but have the time to experiment. I'd like a barebones rom focused on performance and stripped of the built in apps and features that I dont want. What I really would like to know is are custom roms any less stable than standard? Are they more likely to have bugs?

About Android OS, If I want to prevent Google from keeping my personal information such as contacts or calender events, can it be avoided or is the integration into Google services too deep? How much personal information does Google actually keep about android users? I have struggled to find much about this when I searched.

Guest orangephone

I am going to end up with 2 of these.

I've been looking for a new phone but thought I'd wait till my Orange contract upgrade in a few months but thought since this phone is so good I might as well get it.

I went to my local Orange shop to see if they had any in stock and I didn't see any "dummy" versions but they said they had them, so I thought I would go back later to get the Orange Perk discount.

I rang Orange on the way back home regarding discount since on Hot UK Deals it mentioned you get £20 being an Orange customer (I was on Orange pay as you go before, before I went onto contract). The lady said to me I will get £30 off. 1) For being an Orange customer 2) It counting as a pay as you go upgrade, resulting in me getting £30 off handsets over £100 (and this one costs £109) so I could get the phone for £79.99 including £10 top up.

Didn't have my card on me so I put the phone back thinking I'll call back later. Found my card at home then rang again. Kept being forwarded to different people. I expected this from Orange anyway because there is a lot of inconsistencies and many people don't want to admit we are eligible for discounts.

Anyway so ended up with another lady and she said she confirmed with her supervisor it was £20 off so I can get it for £89 including £10 top up and the previous lady was wrong (despite me telling her I was told it was an upgrade so I get £30 off). I ordered it anyway.

Called back again later after seeing people were radnomly getting £30 off. The person says to me there is no point as if I try to return it I will end up paying for postage which will lessen the discount anyway. Didn't really want to hear my point.

Came back on Hot UK Deals and saw more people getting £30 off so I rang again and kept ringing until I had someone who would listen to me and accept that I wasn't tricking them into getting me a £30 discount but I had a genuine reason to get it.

She said to me I can return the phone I already ordered and then call again and get the discount. I said I wanted to do it right then because if I rang back another day they may say to me no again and not listen. Anyway she put the phone on hold and asked me do you mind paying again today for another to which I said I don't mind. So we placed an order and this time for £79 including the £10 top up. I could hear a guy in the background saying to her that yes, it counts as an Orange upgrade (like the first lady I talked to said) so she gets £30 off.

She also gave me a number to call to get a return bag so I don't have to pay for postage for returning the bag.

So I have one for £89 including £10 top up and

one for £79 including £10 top up

I guess if anyone was interested I would offer the first but with postage costs (not trying to advertise here or anything because I can return it for free anyway) but since it's a good phone if someone wants my spare they could have it.

Aside from that, I'm looking forward to Android as I've never had this type of phone before and glad my friend showed me the phone.

Guest orangephone

I've got 25omb internet allowance per month. That's not much is it?

I want to use it as a satnav at times. Are there any apps that will not take up most of the 250mb?

Guest orangephone
Thanks to thepearce for the council discount info. Next question is, if I order online via topcashback etc how do you tell 'em you work for the council?

Thanks for being patient guys.

Will.

You can't get both. Orange Perk can only be done in store.

Hi guys been reading this thread with great excitement. Im an N900 user but wanted a second phone and since android has come along quite nicely I was looking for a HTC Desire until I saw this! I have a few questions before I rush to the store and get one of these bad boys.

Does the phone have proper GPS so I can use it to accurately track my jogging?

Does Swype work on this?

How hard is it to create cook a rom :lol: Im an Android newb but have the time to experiment. I'd like a barebones rom focused on performance and stripped of the built in apps and features that I dont want. What I really would like to know is are custom roms any less stable than standard? Are they more likely to have bugs?

About Android OS, If I want to prevent Google from keeping my personal information such as contacts or calender events, can it be avoided or is the integration into Google services too deep? How much personal information does Google actually keep about android users? I have struggled to find much about this when I searched.

yes proper gps is included.

Apparently swype does work, read it somewhere in this forum, not tried myself.

With pauls fastboot method you can basically create the rom you want on the phone, create your own tar.gz file, then share it amongst the community at will.

You can use the phone without google integraton, but if you want to use the market you need an account anyway. It is a pretty deep integration.

Finally, as an n900 user, have you not tried the nitdroid dual boot? Its a froyo android with limited functionality phone wise, that gives you a taste of android before you plunge. I had an n900 with it on, works ok just a little slow depending on the speed of the mmc card its installed on. Its a sinch to install anyway.

Still can't buy one in orange scarborough they have 5 in stock but have still not been provisioned for sale on the system. Can't wait to get my hands on one to have a play with

Dave

I guess if anyone was interested I would offer the first but with postage costs (not trying to advertise here or anything because I can return it for free anyway) but since it's a good phone if someone wants my spare they could have it.

Aside from that, I'm looking forward to Android as I've never had this type of phone before and glad my friend showed me the phone.

Guest orangephone

Hi,

is there any chance you can ship the first one to ireland?

is it unlocked and fully worked?

Thanks.

I haven't unlocked it. I haven't even opened it apart from opening the box, taking out the phone and then putting it back in. I'm waiting for the next one.

I have received a few offers already but I will show you all of someone who may be able to sell it for you too.

Guest feckineejit
My first impression of the phone... bloody heck the battery cover is a bit hard to get off!

I think the back cover is very easy to get off, just use your thumb nail, put you thumb nail in the groove at the bottom and scrap across the line and it just pops open. Hope you understand what i'm saying? :lol: Oh and that will only work for ppl that have nails B)

Edited by feckineejit