I just picked up my San Francisco! Findings as I go in here...

Guest PaulOBrien

@tryklon On page five it gets a 385 on Quadrant.

Wow, thats actually 20% more than my Apollo, wich got around 320 and has a 667Mhz CPU, not sure about whats the cpu on the apollo ofc

i'm tempted but if i remember right Gingerbread needed 1ghz+ (if this isn't true please tell me to shut up! :lol: )

I'd be a little cautious of buying a new phone that's likely to be eternally stuck on 2.2 (maybe a hack will be available). Getting 2.1 on the pulse seemed to take forever, despite the great work done by everyone. I'd hate to get that feeling that a new os is out and i couldn't get it.

Erm Gingerbread is for tablets...

I just got one from the orange shop, they weren't even aware they had one!

Wasn't too happy when I told him to check the back, now that I have it feels nice than the pulse(mine went for repair:( ) won't mind getting rid of my pulse and sticking to this phone, just need to get it unlocked to other networks!

So will keep an eye this thread! :lol:

What problem does your pulse have then ?

Can anyone please find out whats the cpu the samsung apollo is using and compare it to this one'e? Because san francisco is getting much better benchmarks and the cpu on the apollo is supposedly better, at 667mhz.

Thank you, but im not much into tech so the cpu names dont mean anything for me, maybe someone knows how to compare them in terms of technology

Guest David Horvath
Can anyone please find out whats the cpu the samsung apollo is using and compare it to this one'e? Because san francisco is getting much better benchmarks and the cpu on the apollo is supposedly better, at 667mhz.

Thank you, but im not much into tech so the cpu names dont mean anything for me, maybe someone knows how to compare them in terms of technology

I could find this:

The MSM7227 chipset packs a 600Mhz application processor, a 320 MHz application DSP, a 400 MHz modem processor, hardware-accelerated 3D graphics, integrated Bluetooth 2.1 and GPS, 8 megapixel camera and 30 fps WVGA video encode and decode and display support, all in a 12 by 12 millimeter footprint. It also promises lower power consumption than older MSM 7xxx chipsets. It will support all leading mobile operating systems.

Guest Sebastian404

I've been playing with mine a bit, and I've noticed the WiFi reception is fairly poor, I'm sat infront of a Airport Extreme, Ive got full strength on my macbook, two iPhones and a Palm Pre, but the SanFrancisco says the wifi signal is 'poor'

The camera is rubbish in Low Light, I've been taking some pictures and then doing the same with my iPhone4, I'll upload the comparison later..

Guest David Horvath
I've been playing with mine a bit, and I've noticed the WiFi reception is fairly poor, I'm sat infront of a Airport Extreme, Ive got full strength on my macbook, two iPhones and a Palm Pre, but the SanFrancisco says the wifi signal is 'poor'

The camera is rubbish in Low Light, I've been taking some pictures and then doing the same with my iPhone4, I'll upload the comparison later..

You have a nice arsenal of devices :lol: Could you check the loudspeaker quality? Does it have the same noise as the pulse?

Guest David Horvath
Any one want to try a T-Mobile card in the phone. Might work due to the merger.

Turbosim will do its work. It does with Pulse, and a few hundred of phones including the iphone.

Guest Sebastian404
You have a nice arsenal of devices :) Could you check the loudspeaker quality? Does it have the same noise as the pulse?

I have lot more devices back home in Cali, Perk of my job :lol:

The loudspeaker is quite decent, I put an mp3 on my iphone4 and the SF and I'd say the SF was better of the two, I've never tried a pulse. I don't have it with me, but its a lot better than my HTC Desire.

Guest Sebastian404
Any one want to try a T-Mobile card in the phone. Might work due to the merger.

I tried that, and no it does not. I'm not sure that the Roaming works just yet.

I used to work for Orange, and I know a guy who still does, he was showing me his phone with a network name of 'Orange - T-Mobile' .. but I think hes on the internal trial.

Guest feckineejit

Hello just found this forum through hotukdeals today and had to go out and buy this phone, this is my first android phone, think i'm the first person in my area to get this phone as the shop assistants didn't even realize they had this phone in stock :lol: would love it to be on o2. as thats my usual operator. can't get a good signal on orange in my house. Will be keeping an eye in here to find out what i can do with this phone :-) Keep up the good work Paul :-)

Edited by feckineejit

Guest DJMarkyB

Hi Guys,

New to this site, could someone just confirm if this PAY as you GO phone from orange will work on a monthly SIM ONLY contract with Orange.

So not trying to unlock to different network, just to Monthly rather than PAYG? As im in a contract for another 10 months, and I like my contract and can add a bundle for the DATA...?

Thanks in advance for your help.

regards

Mark

Guest David Horvath
Hi Guys,

New to this site, could someone just confirm if this PAY as you GO phone from orange will work on a monthly SIM ONLY contract with Orange.

So not trying to unlock to different network, just to Monthly rather than PAYG? As im in a contract for another 10 months, and I like my contract and can add a bundle for the DATA...?

Thanks in advance for your help.

regards

Mark

To my knowledge you can interchange sim cards. The sim lock is only for provider, not for other details.

Guest Sebastian404
I believe they are just sharing network towers and only 2g ones atm

My contact in Orange tells me there will be a date (He thinks 1st October) when users of both networks will be able to roam to the other, it will just magically work, 2G and 3G... Im not sure what that means for 3 customers since they are/where on a network share with T-Mobile...

Guest Sebastian404

I got a PAYG phone, and I've put a friends Orange Post Pay SIM in it, working fine.

Hi all,

Ages since I've posted in here, but I got my San Francisco this morning after seeing it announced a couple of days ago. As soon as I saw the price and specs, I had to have it.

I've been an avid luster after a decent Android device since the Hero, but have always had an aversion to contract phones.

This, at £99, provides in my eyes as much functionality as any Android I've been looking at, from Hero up to HD Z. It's the right size to fit in my pocket, slim, not too big, but it also has a good resolution display, cap screen (essential), and pocket-friendly size. I'd turned down the Wildfire for being low-res. This has no such problem.

This is exactly the phone I've been waiting for for a couple of years, and the price just makes it even better. I didn't expect something like this for less than £250.

I've spent the day playing with it from a users' point of view (sorry, not a programmers or hackers'), and it's everything I ever wanted from a smartphone. I already had an iPod touch to see whether I wanted an iPhone, but this is so, SO, much better value and I can't really see where the corners have been cut. After all, it doesn't take long to become bored with any device's exact arrangement of plastic and metal :-)

Wholeheartedly recommended.

I'm looking forward to advice from people here who know more about Android than I do. If I can help with anything, do let me know :-)

Edited by jim144