Power Button/Waking from Sleep

Guest DaveMac

that program thumps the battery

i removed it this mourning and im still at 99% battery

if it was still installed i would be around 60-70

we need a way to enable the buttons without keeping other stuff on

when its idle

Ok this is really pissing me off now! The wake from sleep function seems even more erratic,...for the second time in two days I couldn't wake the phone AT ALL! even with the top button, so I guess it turned itself off completely. (Yep the battery had plenty of juice) I had to hold the top button in to restart it.

Before this happened I'd left the phone downloading something from the market (my fifth attempt at getting Skype i think).

Is this is a fault with the phone?

I don't like to use a resource-sapping app as a workaround for this. I really hope this gets sorted with a new 2.2 ROM version soon, anyone know if it's being looked as a fix included in a 2.2 update?

PS. I'm currently using Sebastian's r5 de-orangeated ROM. Seb, can this issue be fixed in a ROM update?

Edited by Panita

I too am having problems with the power button. I'm finding that it needs pressing fairly hard to bring it out of sleep state.

I'm not sure if this is a hardware, or software issue. Taking the battery cover off and pressing the micro switch directly still seems to have the same problem. Is anyone on the stock Orange ROM having problems? Or is this a problem with the switch/internals ?

Guest lovelldr
I too am having problems with the power button. I'm finding that it needs pressing fairly hard to bring it out of sleep state.

I'm not sure if this is a hardware, or software issue. Taking the battery cover off and pressing the micro switch directly still seems to have the same problem. Is anyone on the stock Orange ROM having problems? Or is this a problem with the switch/internals ?

I have a feeling that this could be software related, as I have problems sometimes. Feeling as though it needs to be pressed really hard. Like at the weekend, half the time itwouldn't turn on at all. But then ever since, has been virtually ok, with only a few times taking hard presses...

Would be nice though to get a definitive answer as to why it does this...

Guest HitTheCow

it's the same like the wifi problem it seems.

if the phone is connected to the pc or powerplug you can wake it up with the front buttons.

if it is on battery you can only wake it up with the on/off button.

have seb404 r5 rom installed.

Guest Winston69

I had that and it only got worse - get in contact with orange and send it back

Guest lovelldr
I had that and it only got worse - get in contact with orange and send it back

I bought the phone in an orange shop about 2 weeks ago...

If I go to an orange shop, would they be able to exchange the phone there? Or will they give me some other bullcr@p?

Getting so fed up with this, just wanna exchange the phone...

Guest buneech

I think i have a way how to solve this issue (waking with other buttons) by modifying the keylayout file, only i haven't received my SF yet. I'll look into this next week, when i'm about to get it, so that i can test it on my device. I don't really feel comfortable with testing from a far distance, and also i ain't 100% sure if it'll really work. :)

Edited by buneech

Guest meinnit
I think i have a way how to solve this issue (waking with other buttons) by modifying the keylayout file, only i haven't received my SF yet. I'll look into this next week, when i'm about to get it, so that i can test it on my device. I don't really feel comfortable with testing from a far distance, and also i ain't 100% sure if it'll really work. :)

Just had a look at those files and it seems that menu button is configured to wake:

key 139 MENU WAKE_DROPPED

As mentioned before it works when on charge but not when taken off charge.

Guest buneech

Did you take a look in 7k_handset.kl? Could you add key 139 MENU WAKE_DROPPED at the end of the file and push it to the device? (also, a restart should be required)

Guest meinnit
Did you take a look in 7k_handset.kl? Could you add key 139 MENU WAKE_DROPPED at the end of the file and push it to the device? (also, a restart should be required)

Tried that. This is the original contents of that file:

# Copyright © 2009, Code Aurora Forum. All rights reserved.

#

# Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without

# modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:

# * Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright

# notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.

# * Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright

# notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the

# documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.

# * Neither the name of Code Aurora nor

# the names of its contributors may be used to endorse or promote

# products derived from this software without specific prior written

# permission.

#

# THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS"

# AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE

# IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND

# NON-INFRINGEMENT ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT OWNER OR

# CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL,

# EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO,

# PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS;

# OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY,

# WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR

# OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF

# ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

#

##########################################

#History:

#when who what, where, why

#-------- ---- ---------------------------------------------------

#2010-01-27 zhangxian new file for moonckae bord config

#2010_02_04 zhaobin modify ZTE_EXTEND to ENDCALL

#2010-3-3 huoliping modify 116 142 -> POWER ZTE_KL_HLP_002

#2010-7-12 liuyijian delete 116 key map ZTE_KL_LYJ_001

##########################################

key 226 HEADSETHOOK WAKE

#key 116 ZTE_EXTEND_1 WAKE_DROPPED

#key 142 ZTE_EXTEND_1 WAKE_DROPPED

# ZTE_KL_HLP_002 ,2009-12-5

#key 143 ZTE_EXTEND_3 WAKE_DROPPED

# ZTE_KL_ZB_001 ,2010_02_04

# ZTE_KL_HLP_002,2010-3-3

#ZTE_KL_LYJ_001, 20100712

#key 116 POWER WAKE_DROPPED

key 142 POWER WAKE_DROPPED

key 143 ENDCALL WAKE_DROPPED

Guest schkinx

Most likely its a safety feature to stop you accidentally hitting the keys when its in your pocket . No such problem when its on charge because your not as likely to hit the keys on the front . just a thought :)

Guest oh!dougal
Just had a look at those files and it seems that menu button is configured to wake:

key 139 MENU WAKE_DROPPED

As mentioned before it works when on charge but not when taken off charge.

Which is exactly the same as my bugbear, the 'missed call' etc notification led flashing (or not).

It works fine on charge, but not from internal power.

If someone discovered where the different configs for power int/ext were to be found, then perhaps the notifications could be fixed quite simply ... And it might also help the wifi woes if 'WiFi Sleep: Never' was also obeyed on battery (it is on external power!)

All three behave differently on sleep depending on whether there is external power.

It'd be VERY significant to discover where that changeover mischief lives!

Most likely its a safety feature to stop you accidentally hitting the keys when its in your pocket . No such problem when its on charge because your not as likely to hit the keys on the front . just a thought :)
Actually, I agree that the stock behaviour for the wake-up key makes a lot of sense, even if the power button is hard to locate without looking (like in the dark!)

I think if it were to be changed, maybe it'd be sensible to require a key combination of some sort to replace (or augment) the awkward power button ... like Home and Back, but not Menu, simultaneously ... if that logic could be accomodated.

Guest meinnit

Menu to wake seems to be working every time for me now. I did make some changes to the files in my /system/usr/keylayout/ directory but this didn't seem to work even after a reboot. Some people recommended clearing dalvik cache but I never tried this.

I'm not actually sure whether I changed the files back to the original so I'm a bit confused. Can someone post all files in their /system/usr/keylayout/ directory please and I'll compare with mine? My backup files are at home unfortunately.

Menu to wake seems to be working every time for me now. I did make some changes to the files in my /system/usr/keylayout/ directory but this didn't seem to work even after a reboot. Some people recommended clearing dalvik cache but I never tried this.

I'm not actually sure whether I changed the files back to the original so I'm a bit confused. Can someone post all files in their /system/usr/keylayout/ directory please and I'll compare with mine? My backup files are at home unfortunately.

Could you please try to find out what have you changed in order to make the menu button wake the phone when on battery power? My power button is working fine, but it would be great to have an alternative and reduce the power button wear to make the power button last longer...

Guest meinnit
Could you please try to find out what have you changed in order to make the menu button wake the phone when on battery power? My power button is working fine, but it would be great to have an alternative and reduce the power button wear to make the power button last longer...

Yup I am looking at a solution to avoid wear on my power button too. It doesn't look like it will last very long!

Guest Sebastian404

Here is a list of the values for keys on the blade

102   HOME
115 VOLUME_UP
114 VOLUME_DOWN
139 MENU
142 POWER
158 BACK
330 SCREEN_TAP[/code] and in a stock 2.1 rom: [b]7k_handset.kl[/b]
[code]key 226 HEADSETHOOK WAKE

#key 116 POWER WAKE_DROPPED
key 143 ENDCALL WAKE_DROPPED
in the 2.2 beta rom: 7k_handset.kl
key 226   HEADSETHOOK	   WAKE

key 116 POWER WAKE_DROPPED
key 143 ENDCALL WAKE_DROPPED[/code]

Guest oh!dougal
Here is a list of the values for keys on the blade

102   HOME

115   VOLUME_UP

114   VOLUME_DOWN

139   MENU

142   POWER

158   BACK

330   SCREEN_TAP
and in a stock 2.1 rom: 7k_handset.kl

#key 116   ZTE_EXTEND_1			 WAKE_DROPPED

#key 142   ZTE_EXTEND_1			 WAKE_DROPPED

#key 143   ZTE_EXTEND_3			 WAKE_DROPPED

#key 116   POWER			 WAKE_DROPPED

key 142   POWER			 WAKE_DROPPED

key 143   ENDCALL			 WAKE_DROPPED
in the 2.2 beta rom: 7k_handset.kl

#key 116   ZTE_EXTEND_1			 WAKE_DROPPED

#key 142   ZTE_EXTEND_1			 WAKE_DROPPED

#key 143   ZTE_EXTEND_3			 WAKE_DROPPED

key 116   POWER			 WAKE_DROPPED

key 142   POWER			 WAKE_DROPPED

key 143   ENDCALL			 WAKE_DROPPED

From the extra edit-comments, it strikes me that the production 2.1 might possibly be more recently edited than the 2.2 prototype ...

Just to explain that "WAKE" means that key wakes the phone and the keypress is passed on to whatever app, for action.

However "WAKE_DROPPED" means that the keypress event wakes the phone, but the event is "dropped" (not passed on to any app), ie it 'just' wakes the phone.

The other thing that might help some folk is to understand that "hook" is telephony-speak concerning landline phones. When you pick up the handset from its cradle, the phone has a switch that detects that action of 'going off-hook' -- I think it actually dates back to Candlestick phones with an earpiece stored on a sprung hook.

But "HEADSETHOOK" is likely to mean the pressing of the button on the headset ...

Now, what is key 143?

Is it possible that its some sort of a virtual key (software simulating a keypress)?

And why two Power keys? Does one of them refer to previous or alternate hardware (I think the development phone chassis ('platform'?) is "Mooncake"), and so it ought not to matter whether its commented out or not, as there's no such key?

Maybe 143 is Mooncake's hardware 'stop' button? (I can imagine that being useful during development!)

Most puzzling to me is the question of why the 'front' hardware keys would wake the phone at all - and they certainly do, but ONLY when its got external power. Maybe that condition isn't actually proper "sleep".

Would/should merely adding

key 115 VOLUME_UP WAKE_DROPPED

key 114 VOLUME_DOWN WAKE_DROPPED

additionally cause either Volume key to wake the phone from sleep?

From the extra edit-comments, it strikes me that the production 2.1 might possibly be more recently edited than the 2.2 prototype ...

Just to explain that "WAKE" means that key wakes the phone and the keypress is passed on to whatever app, for action.

However "WAKE_DROPPED" means that the keypress event wakes the phone, but the event is "dropped" (not passed on to any app), ie it 'just' wakes the phone.

The other thing that might help some folk is to understand that "hook" is telephony-speak concerning landline phones. When you pick up the handset from its cradle, the phone has a switch that detects that action of 'going off-hook' -- I think it actually dates back to Candlestick phones with an earpiece stored on a sprung hook.

But "HEADSETHOOK" is likely to mean the pressing of the button on the headset ...

Now, what is key 143?

Is it possible that its some sort of a virtual key (software simulating a keypress)?

And why two Power keys? Does one of them refer to previous or alternate hardware (I think the development phone chassis ('platform'?) is "Mooncake"), and so it ought not to matter whether its commented out or not, as there's no such key?

Maybe 143 is Mooncake's hardware 'stop' button? (I can imagine that being useful during development!)

Most puzzling to me is the question of why the 'front' hardware keys would wake the phone at all - and they certainly do, but ONLY when its got external power. Maybe that condition isn't actually proper "sleep".

The front keys unlock when playing music.

Guest oh!dougal
The front keys unlock when playing music.

If its not really asleep when its 'asleep' on the charger/usb, that would explain why missed call notifications and "wifi: don't sleep" DO work in that condition.

The problem then is whether there CAN be power available while truly asleep to flash the notification LED and keep wifi alive ... or whether a whole heap of hardware all gets turned off from the same hardware switch. Uh-oh ...

Edited by oh!dougal

Guest meinnit

I think it's stopped working for me now. Probably was working due to the phone not going into sleep mode properly.

Funny how the advert at the bottom of this page is showing an advert related to sleeping haha

Edited by meinnit

Now, what is key 143?

Tried this, but it doesn't seem to work, unfortunately. I guess that on battery, the phone goes to some sort of "deep sleep" and only reacts to the power button in this state. But I hope that I am wrong and there still is some chance to make other buttons wake the SF!

Guest meinnit

Ok it turns out that my phone wasn't sleeping properly which is why the buttons appeared to wake it from sleeping. Now to sort out that problem :rolleyes: