15/Jan [GUIDE] Installing the MoDaCo Custom Froyo ROM from scratch (and other ROMS)

Guest StevenHarperUK

Guest StevenHarperUK
Also just in case you're wondering what command window is he means a command prompt. Well thats what I use anywho.

Added the Working in the ROOT of C Drive into the main post - ahhh we all love to support Windows

Guest Richard Dawkins

I followed the 1-2-3 step guide today.

I took my time and made sure I read and understood the instructions before doing anything and it all worked as described without any drama.

Thank you for an excellent guide! :P

Edited by Richard Dawkins

Hi sorry im new to all this but how do you copy the r4-update-modacocustomrom-blade-signed.zip file off your desktop into the ROOT of the sdcard, the phone isnt shown on my pc when connected via the usb cable thanks.

Now sorted :P

Edited by Clay33

Guest flatnote31

cheers for the thream Stephen :P

Now with A2SD, I see you've had the same issues...

here's my thing:

1- partitioned SD ( fat32 then 512 ext2 in the end of the disk)

2- installed A2SD from clockworkmod

3- from shell, tried checking (a2sd check), says that ext exists but not mounted

4- per one of your posts, reflashed r4, tried again...no luck

5- re-installed A2SD...mounted /ext from Clockworkmod..... still....same response..... EXT found, but not mounted!

Grrrrrrrrrrrr

Edit-1 : Boot loop ! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Edit-2 : full wipe.....CWM restore.... (at least I had a backup copu :D)

Edited by flatnote31

Guest StevenHarperUK
cheers for the thream Stephen :P

Now with A2SD, I see you've had the same issues...

here's my thing:

1- partitioned SD ( fat32 then 512 ext2 in the end of the disk)

2- installed A2SD from clockworkmod

3- from shell, tried checking (a2sd check), says that ext exists but not mounted

4- per one of your posts, reflashed r4, tried again...no luck

5- re-installed A2SD...mounted /ext from Clockworkmod..... still....same response..... EXT found, but not mounted!

Grrrrrrrrrrrr

Edit-1 : Boot loop ! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Edit-2 : full wipe.....CWM restore.... (at least I had a backup copu :D)

2 options for you

1. Bake your own r4 ROM (Pay for account upgrade) - with A2SD in it
  2. See if you can live with Froyo and use the native Move to SD feature - Bugs here

Guest flatnote31
2 options for you
  1. Bake your own r4 ROM (Pay for account upgrade) - with A2SD in it
  2. See if you can live with Froyo and use the native Move to SD feature - Bugs here

- Out of curiousity, are you using the one from VillainROM(modified DarkTremor), DarkTremor or Paul's r4 ?

- I thought A2SD in a prebaked r4 was a hit and miss (i.e. not always successful) :D

- A2SD in Froyo doesn't take all apps to SD, does it? unlike DT that forces all apps onto SD then use a symbolic link file in the system/bin/ to redirect to SD

Apart from the above, appreciate if you could please clarify the following (since you've had a success with it :P ):

- Are you using SWAP?

- Did you move Dalvik to SD?

- Did you install JIT?

cheers in advance :D

Guest StevenHarperUK
- Out of curiousity, are you using the one from VillainROM(modified DarkTremor), DarkTremor or Paul's r4 ?

- I thought A2SD in a prebaked r4 was a hit and miss (i.e. not always successful) :D

- A2SD in Froyo doesn't take all apps to SD, does it? unlike DT that forces all apps onto SD then use a symbolic link file in the system/bin/ to redirect to SD

Apart from the above, appreciate if you could please clarify the following (since you've had a success with it :P ):

- Are you using SWAP?

- Did you move Dalvik to SD?

- Did you install JIT?

cheers in advance :D

I have never used the pre-baked R4

I used DarkTremor, and only when I installed in R3, then without doing any clearing upgraded to R4 did it work (intermittently in both r3 and r4)

http://www.villainrom.co.uk/forum/showthre...r-the-ZTE-Blade

I assume the pre-baked works perfectly - no one has ever confirmed this

Yes your right A2SD is simply a sim-link

The Move to SD in 2.2 is great for me - I still have 60MB left and I am done installing the 30-40 apps I want/need, the App provider has to allow it in their App settings - We did it for the Orange Wednesday one.

Other answers (when I was on R4 with A2SD - last week)

- Are you using SWAP? NO

- Did you move Dalvik to SD? NO

- Did you install JIT? NO

Edited by StevenHarperUK

Guest flatnote31
I have never used the pre-baked R4

I used DarkTremor, and only when I installed in R3, then without doing any clearing upgraded to R4 did it work (intermittently in both r3 and r4)

http://www.villainrom.co.uk/forum/showthre...r-the-ZTE-Blade

Fair enough :D

I'll give it another shot tonight ...and might try another card ( a smaller one, as I'm using a 16gb now)

Again, when you WERE using r4 with A2SD, and partitioned your card, in GPartEd, did you use flags on the partitions? When I removed all flags, phone and Ubuntu reported card as "damaged" so had to reformat and change flags.....may be that's what caused the boot-loop....phone trying to boot from/ mount incorrect partition!

:D If it works with someone, I see no reason why it shouldn't with the rest....it's solid senseless logic :P ... and it's always the tiniest discrepancies that cause epic fails!

:P me thinking of leaving office and going home to get this sorted .... it's a weird day any way :D

Can't wait for a more stable 2.2 to thrash it on mein Blade.... but still, Dark Tremor still feels better as it forces ALL apps, not leaving it for the app-dev to allow!

Edited by flatnote31

Thanks for the guide steven,manged to get rooted and recovery loaded, but when i did the updated rom r4,where you say just go throgh the yes toggles,then go back and reboot,after the 4/5th toggle(i think android it says not found.

i do reboot and still orange logo,i tried with r3 and the same, Have i done something rong or missed something please help

Guest StevenHarperUK
Thanks for the guide steven,manged to get rooted and recovery loaded, but when i did the updated rom r4,where you say just go throgh the yes toggles,then go back and reboot,after the 4/5th toggle(i think android it says not found.

i do reboot and still orange logo,i tried with r3 and the same, Have i done something rong or missed something please help

So you have CRC'd the R4 file and it matches?

Then you have copied it onto the ROOT of the SD Card?

Then you have chosen the from the Clockworkmod Menu : Install Zip (NOT Install update.zip), Select Zip, R4 file, then The YES

You should then see an installer fro about 20 seconds

you then click back (return button) and choose reboot.

Which step did you get to?

Guest geegeethatsme

New member so hope I've posted this correctly. Picked up an Orange SF today and after several careful reads through these instructions and the associated links, the Custom ROM installed faultlessly, thank you. One minor issue in that on the first Home Screen to the right, there is a message recording "Problem loading widget" - and sure enough there is no widget. I'll search through the forums to see if this has been reported before, but if anyone has an immediate idea, grateful for a steer. I'm wondering if it's the WaveSecure app not loading pending registration? Alternatively, how might I be able to check what is attempting to load on an otherwise empty Home Screen?

Guest StevenHarperUK
D'oh! I was seeing complexity where there was none. Solution - drag the alert notification to the trash bin.

Yeh, as a new Android user - I suggest you try the MENU button out in a lot of apps / screens

It reveals lots of new options / settings that you would normally miss.

Hope your enjoying android as much as I am

Guest UKspooky
If you use this guide and it works, please give me a post so I can see that it's doing it's job.

Also if you spot any typo's - or get stuck because something wasn't clear - please post also.

ta

Excellent guide, many thanks. Now to get using it.

Guest jeelz_uk

Complete newbie. Failed to root my device on XP despite downloading the drivers. Have now moved onto a Window 7 machine and have managed to add a Superuser icon to the apps but during the process got a message saying 'device driver software was not successfully downloaded - ZTE HSUSB drivers not found'. Am I safe to proceed with the other stages? Or is there something else I should be doing first? Thanks for the excellent guide and for any replies.

Guest StevenHarperUK
Sorry duplicate post - as I said complete newbie!

I have 0 experience of flashing on windows

I cannot stress how simple it is to do on an ubuntu live. Cd

Please give it a try