Advent Android tablets set to hit the Dixons Group stores shortly

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Bisto321
Thanks Kevrae, really appreciate the information.

@Bisto321 I assume thes is the wi-fi only Folio? no 3g?

So, the differences between the Vega and the Folio that I can see:

1. Folio has 16GB built-in flash Vega has 512MB

2. Folio definitely has bluetooth (if someone could test for HID, that would be awesome) Vega has one reviewer saying no bluetooth (Even though the OEM says yes)

3. Folio has a full set of Android nav buttons, Vega only has one

4. Folio is much more likely to get OS updates

5. Folio has Micro(or was it mini?)-usb client and full-usb host Vega only has full-usb that is reported to work as a host

6. Folio has a full-size SDcard slot Vega has MicroSD

7. Folio is available NAO!

8. Folio has 802.11n Vega tops out at g

Hmmm, is that worth an extra £80 I'm leaning towards yes. Thankfully I can get out of work a little early tonight, I hope the Reading town centre store got the DHL order

1. Folio has 16GB built-in flash Vega has 512MB - 16GB Yes

2. Folio definitely has bluetooth (if someone could test for HID, that would be awesome) Bluetooth confirmed not tested HID yetVega has one reviewer saying no bluetooth (Even though the OEM says yes)

3. Folio has a full set of Android nav buttons, Vega only has one confirmed back, search, home and menu

4. Folio is much more likely to get OS updatesbuilt in update app from TOSHIBA, so yes

5. Folio has Micro(or was it mini?)-usb client and full-usb host Vega only has full-usb that is reported to work as a host Both micro and mini USB + HDMI and Hosting

6. Folio has a full-size SDcard slot Vega has MicroSD Full size SD yes

7. Folio is available NAO!Yes I have one :)

8. Folio has 802.11n Vega tops out at g yes. seems nice and quick on works 20mbit ADSL

Just loaded K9 mail on from toshiba market and played with live wallpapers, cool.

Got to do some work now!

I think it may be worth the extra, but the Vega(if it is like this) will be a bargain!

Guest firedup
1. Folio has 16GB built-in flash Vega has 512MB - 16GB Yes

2. Folio definitely has bluetooth (if someone could test for HID, that would be awesome) Bluetooth confirmed not tested HID yetVega has one reviewer saying no bluetooth (Even though the OEM says yes)

3. Folio has a full set of Android nav buttons, Vega only has one confirmed back, search, home and menu

4. Folio is much more likely to get OS updatesbuilt in update app from TOSHIBA, so yes

5. Folio has Micro(or was it mini?)-usb client and full-usb host Vega only has full-usb that is reported to work as a host Both micro and mini USB + HDMI and Hosting

6. Folio has a full-size SDcard slot Vega has MicroSD Full size SD yes

7. Folio is available NAO!Yes I have one :)

8. Folio has 802.11n Vega tops out at g yes. seems nice and quick on works 20mbit ADSL

Just loaded K9 mail on from toshiba market and played with live wallpapers, cool.

Got to do some work now!

I think it may be worth the extra, but the Vega(if it is like this) will be a bargain!

WANT ONE NOW!!

Guest firedup
stop talking about the folio!!! i'm itching to get a tablet and you're selling it too much that i might not be able to wait until the 18th :) :) :(

May as well, the extra £80 has got to be worth not having to wait! :(

Guest Bisto321
stop talking about the folio!!! i'm itching to get a tablet and you're selling it too much that i might not be able to wait until the 18th :) :) :(

Sorry. Should really start another thread. Tegra2 tablets? This was originally for the Advent Vega.

Yes, alright I will get on with my work, stop shouting at me! Who do you think you are, my boss? – Oh yeah you are…………………..

a general question about the Toshiba Folio..

The Folio plays 1080p high-definition and Flash video. The latest Adobe Flash Player 10.1 is supported, but DivX files aren't.

Read more: http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/ipad-and-tablets...eview-50000606/

so would RockPlayer be the only way to play divx files if the official video player does not support them? Anyone got any expierence of RockPlayer on a tablet or in particular a Tegra2 device?

Guest Bisto321
May as well, the extra £80 has got to be worth not having to wait! :)

Just incase this is an issue for anyone - the Flash update has not been put out by toshiba yet. The setup process and inculded leaflet explains this and states that it will be available for download soon.

Those of you into your 'flash' may want to hold off until someone has downloaded it and confirms it is ok - I am sure it will be fine, the Tegra is easliy capable of it.

Will update you when I get it

Guest firedup
Just incase this is an issue for anyone - the Flash update has not been put out by toshiba yet. The setup process and inculded leaflet explains this and states that it will be available for download soon.

Those of you into your 'flash' may want to hold off until someone has downloaded it and confirms it is ok - I am sure it will be fine, the Tegra is easliy capable of it.

Will update you when I get it

Does that mean they havent released it yet or you havent tried downloading it yet? I would imagine it can be sideloaded though as isnt it standard for all 2.2 devices?

Guest firedup
Sorry. Should really start another thread. Tegra2 tablets? This was originally for the Advent Vega.

Yes, alright I will get on with my work, stop shouting at me! Who do you think you are, my boss? – Oh yeah you are…………………..

I agree with this - anyone fancy starting a Toshiba Folio thread. Paul?

Guest firedup

Rang up PC world / Currys again and now they have stock in Sheffield, Doncaster, Wakefield, Leicster - basically everywhere in East Midlands but bloody Nottingham! Its just off the M1 FFS!!

Probably for the best, just bought a Viewpad 10 on Monday which I'm happy with....still....tempting...

Rang up PC world / Currys again and now they have stock in Sheffield, Doncaster, Wakefield, Leicster - basically everywhere in East Midlands but bloody Nottingham! Its just off the M1 FFS!!

Probably for the best, just bought a Viewpad 10 on Monday which I'm happy with....still....tempting...

how much was the Viewpad and where did you get it from?

CNet review: "You can download more apps and games from the Android market"

But Paul said no GMarket on Folio?

There's the "Toshiba Market Place".. mention of Android Market is almost certainly an error by the reviewer

Guest shutdown

give ya £250 for it :)

Guest firedup
how much was the Viewpad and where did you get it from?

From scan.co.uk Quite pleased with it actually. Windows 7 works well, Android 1.6 works well but is obviously a bit old hat now. Nice connectivity though with 2 x USB and microSD

Guest danielj58

PC world hartlepool have the folio aand tab in. im actually posting this from a folio in store :)

a bit worrying is the back button is a bit intermittent and the touch screen isnt too reeponsive, but other than that its just cemented my desire for a 10 inch tegra android tablet :) screen is good, seems like good build quality, not too heavy and the keyboard is perfect in portrait :(

Guest Bisto321
PC world hartlepool have the folio aand tab in. im actually posting this from a folio in store :)

a bit worrying is the back button is a bit intermittent and the touch screen isnt too reeponsive, but other than that its just cemented my desire for a 10 inch tegra android tablet :) screen is good, seems like good build quality, not too heavy and the keyboard is perfect in portrait :(

Yes i have noticed a bit of lag. Lots of things going on in background. Used estrongs task manager to kill a few off and it picked up again.

I know a lot of people have strong views about task killers, but they do help sometimes.

Also, sending this from my toshiba folio.

Played mp4 files on it and looks good. Will try hd bits when i get home.

These devices will not suit everyone, but i think for a bit of surfing and media they will be great. Using dolphin browser from the toshiba market and it works really well. Just need to sort the flash with toshiba update or side load.

Guest Matrix Mike

Only the Galaxy Tab in one of the 2 PCworlds in Swansea and no Folio in either :)

Tech Guys in one say they know about the Vega but no info at the moment :)

I'm back to work tomorrow so missed the stock arriving into store (still found out as my colleagues rang me with a few questions). will have a good look tomorrow morning and share my thoughts, can also try to see what stock are now like on the area for people.

Guest danielj58
Yes i have noticed a bit of lag. Lots of things going on in background. Used estrongs task manager to kill a few off and it picked up again.

I know a lot of people have strong views about task killers, but they do help sometimes.

Also, sending this from my toshiba folio.

Played mp4 files on it and looks good. Will try hd bits when i get home.

These devices will not suit everyone, but i think for a bit of surfing and media they will be great. Using dolphin browser from the toshiba market and it works really well. Just need to sort the flash with toshiba update or side load.

I think the screen was probably just because I'm used to the ridiculous sensitivity of my phone, but once all the bloatware is stripped off of it I'm sure it'll fly. What's your return button like? The one I was playing with had just been taken out of the box and set up (I watched him do it), and the return button was pretty much fubar'ed? It took a hard long press to get it to register, the other buttons worked fine. Other than that I'm quite impressed with the build quality, but I'm still gunna hold out for the Vega :)

Had a play with the Galaxy Tab and was impressed with that too, the screen size is almost bang on for landscape typing, but for the price I think it's way off the mark...