Advent Android tablets set to hit the Dixons Group stores shortly

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest shutdown

roll on the 18th! then i can really decide which tablet to go for.

be great if you current tablet owners hammer your device and give great feedback

PS don't hammer it, i believe that may break it

Guest Bisto321
roll on the 18th! then i can really decide which tablet to go for.

be great if you current tablet owners hammer your device and give great feedback

PS don't hammer it, i believe that may break it

Will give it a serious going over. My impressions already are that it (all other tabs too) Will struggle on 2.2

3 and beyond should make tegra2 tabs little gems, let's hope Google don't move the posts on spec.

Will play with more apps later. If I had any will power I would possibly have waited for the vega, but because of the slightly better spec and NOW availability I had to have it. What could possibly go wrong with a rash IT purchase? :)

Guest firedup

Mmmmmm. My local Currys has stock now. Not sure what to do after reading a few comments on here about touchscreen lag and sticking buttons....

Might stick wih my ViewPad 10 until I hear some more (positive) comments.

Anyone else got one? Reviews please!!!

Guest shutdown

the viewsonic is a good device, i'd like that one as it at least gives you the windows option (that's hard to say considering i'm a mac user) should you need it for that extra grunt that android may not offer yet

Call me impatient and spontaneous... but I've just bought the Filo - PC World Bolton have them in stock.

First impressions... its nice! The screen can be a little unresponsive, pressing buttons or keypad can sometimes take a few attempts, but its smooth flowing and looks nice.

The main problem I think is that none of the Toshiba Services are running, the flash 10.1 update is not yet released and I've so far not got the DNLA media player to work!

But as I've had it for about 30 minutes... I've all night to play with it and get to grips!

I'll keep you updated... ask me if you've any questions and I'll try and answer them until the Filo area is up and running!

Guest mamoulian

Just went to PCWorld to have a play, plastic at the ready...

Sadly I wasn't bowled over. Just didn't seem very responsive to screen dabs/swipes, and when it did respond it was a bit laggy and jerky. The buttons were the worst, needing a good firm press. Maybe I've been spoiled by the Desire HD!

Also was expecting smoother scrolling from the Tegra2.

Toshiba software has some rough edges but isn't too bad, I like the app darwer which has small and large modes.

Oddly pinch-zoom didn't work in the standard Browser or Opera, although did in the picture viewer.

No media on the device to test video playback, no way of playing Youtube I could see.

Keyboard is a nice size but when I tried to type quickly it missed keys.

Staff were friendly and offered help but I didn't want to disillusion them!

I'll go back when the Advent is out for a compare and contrast.

Well....

Just ordered a Folio on the PC Word website...

I have to say, the fact that this tab has also a Tegra 2 + 16Gb internal + normal size memory card + Wifi n + Big name (Toshiba) justified the extra money (for me) and made me move to the Dark side :)

My only concern is relative to the lag described by some of the owners but Taskkiller should (as always) help... That reminds me my Streak :)

That is it... I stop polution this Threat and move to ne new one!

Good luck to the future Vega owners and long live Android!

Edited by BooToo

Guest removed-14

I went into PC World tonight to look at the Folio. It was not out on display and had to ask for it. The salesman didn't have a clue about the product but he did eventually find it in the stock room. He couldn't switch it on and nor did they have a demo model so I just held it. It looked quite nice but i'm not spending £330 on a product I can't see running.

Guest SilentMobius

Well just got home with my folio 100. (Is there a separate thread yet?)

First thoughts

1. Wow the display is _terrible_ the viewing angles are like 10deg vertical making portrait viewing really tough (like bad 3d)

2. The supplied launcher is awful, installed ADWlauncher and it was smooth as butter

3. There is a _huge_ delay between pressing power and waking up the device, sometimes as long as 5 sec... weird

More to come

Guest MarkoUK
After reading more and more owners posts i'm glad I held off buying one.

Yeah, me too. I think it's far too easy to get caught up in the excitement of these tabs. The best thing about these tabs being on sale in PC World and Currys is that they're usually open till 8pm which means you can pop in and blow your load after work! Dangerous.

I'm going to wait for a hands on with the Vega and hope that Paul or someone else gets ready to root these babies and help us on the road to Gingerbread and beyond.

Remember... with Android devices, you are buying hardware you can CUS-TO-MI-ZE to feet your needs...

First objective is to root my Folio when it arrives...

Guest firedup
The best thing about these tabs being on sale in PC World and Currys is that they're usually open till 8pm which means you can pop in and blow your load after work! Dangerous.

Yes. Very Dangerous. The last time I did that they banned me from the store and now I'm on the sex offenders list.

Guest danielj58
Yes. Very Dangerous. The last time I did that they banned me from the store and now I'm on the sex offenders list.

Interesting... Best cancel tomorrows plans then, heaven forbid I get barred out of my local Currys/PC World...

Guest kudos 555

watching this thread for a few weeks, excellent info

drifting towards the folio but early reports on here are not good but going to travel around derby tomorrow to get a hands on

dont know if currys have the folio yet ( same group as pc world) but do have a discount code from moneysupermarket.com

15POUND £15 off orders from currys over £299, should work in store as well as online, run outs nov5 but sure a new one will replace it, update them every week, closes the gap between advent and folio

Guest SilentMobius

More info, Google maps installed from the apk , I didn't expect that to work.

Every 3d app I've tried so far has ticketed or crashed, not good at all.

Too many apps are using the market "call home" API and refuse to run when sideloaded even though I paid for them fair and square, boo to drm.

Next on my hit list is quadrant

Guest MarkoUK
Remember... with Android devices, you are buying hardware you can CUS-TO-MI-ZE to feet your needs...

First objective is to root my Folio when it arrives...

Yeah but looking at the Folio reports, it sounds like the screen isn't great in terms of visibility and responsiveness.

I will rip off the current software on any device and run something from my favourite developers, MoDaCo, Cyanogen, Evil D etc etc.

Guest shatdhehat
Well just got home with my folio 100. (Is there a separate thread yet?)

First thoughts

1. Wow the display is _terrible_ the viewing angles are like 10deg vertical making portrait viewing really tough (like bad 3d)

2. The supplied launcher is awful, installed ADWlauncher and it was smooth as butter

3. There is a _huge_ delay between pressing power and waking up the device, sometimes as long as 5 sec... weird

More to come

I had a long play on one at my local PC world (Bedford - 10 in stock). Agree with the screen, I really expect better for £330.

The capacitative buttons were strange, its as if they go to sleep after a while, but once one responds, they were all fine...

I didnt notice too much lag - some of the previous comments really put me off. I found it fine to use, though not as good as my HTC Desire, but more than useable.

There was some blur in detail in some places, but I expected that. I would have liked to try some HD movie stuff, maybe do that when I go try the vega. If the vega's screen is as bad as this, Im going to wait for the next iteration of android before looking at tablets again!

Congratulations to all you new Tegra2 Tab owners. Your guinea pig sacrifices are greatly appreciated by the rest of us. We cant wait to read about your hardware, software and drop tests. I sold my netbook in January expecting tablets to flood the market. I feel stupid having had to wait so long but Im happy to wait a few weeks longer now while they iron out the creases.

All those software problems people are describing are certain to be resolved in the coming weeks. Once Toshiba get their store online we'll have proper quality apps. No one needs hundred of thousands. A few key apps like a decent browser, media player, book/comic reader, maps and a couple of others are all anyone needs. Gnarly looking smartphone apps are just a bonus.

Unfortunately as I am not a nerd and couldnt root a carrot let alone a tablet, Im going to wait until there is an easy and reliable root to a Gingerbread+ OS and proper apps. I would hate to fiddle and brick it.

Six months from now, top end tabs are going to as slick as top end android phones are now. These are such new devices there are bout to be teething problems but actually finally having the tablet in your hands has got to be worth something.

In response to TSH, the cambridge store is being refitted into a new WNR store. unfortunately it does mean they're closed during the transition but I'm sure it will look impressive once opened.

Thanks for reading - can you confirm if Stevenage is open?