Advent Android tablets set to hit the Dixons Group stores shortly

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Bobbler

Maybe it's just me, but this tablet does seem to be attracting some buzz about it.

Why is that exactly?

What attracts you others in this thread to pay so much attention to this tablet?

My personal shortlist:

Specs are good - HDMI output, comparably fast CPu, multi-touch screen, 1080p video support (though not essential

Cost is low

Available in UK on high street so that I can have a play with it

Forthcoming Android updates - maybe just me, but I think that this has only just started to become a viable OS for these devices with real functionality coming

Maybe it's just me, but this tablet does seem to be attracting some buzz about it.

Why is that exactly?

What attracts you others in this thread to pay so much attention to this tablet?

Its very good value for the hardware you get. Its more than twice as powerful than the iPad or any smartphone currently on the market, has a shedload of connectivity options and is very future proof.

Im not expecting too much from the device now but when Gingerbread and Honeycombe arrive along with proper tablet software this device will really fly.

The only difference between this and any other P10AN01 device is the badge on the front and the price you pay for it.

For what its worth Im hoping the Android community get behind this device and hack the hell out of it.

Guest Carbonize
I bet people itching for a tablet will just order a Galaxy Tab instead if they are impatient!

Why when there are plenty of other Android tablets out there. The Archos ones are only around the £250/$300 mark and seem just as powerful as the tab.

Thanks Bobbler,

but to answer any questions about the release date it does seem to be highly unlikely they will make the november 1st launch date as still no stocks.

I will try to keep you up to date but thus far I have yet to have any new information.

Guest k jules

nVidia Tegra is only infinitely better :). Well, I'll put it this way, Tegra 2 is a Dual core Cortex A9 @ 1GHz, the Archos' TI OMAP is single core Cortex A8 (older architecture).

The GPU of the tegra is capable of 1080p video, the OMAP is 720p max. But maybe the most important thing is that the Archos 101 and 70 have half the amount of RAM (256MB) of the Vega, which makes it considerably less future proof. And I also red somewhere that the storage available for apps is only 192MB on the Archos.

PS.

yes, I signed up just to post this :)

Edited by k jules

Guest welshblob
This might interest some - 10" Android 2.1 tablet with 1Ghz CPU retailing for £149 from Toys R Us.

http://www.toysrus.co.uk/Toys-R-Us/Compute...PC%280082825%29

Not bad for a web browser or comic book reader

I believe that's the same as the Next one which is getting awful reviews. However it is £30 cheaper but I think the Next one has a 8GB SD card supplied.

I've just asked him why he's selling it at £370 when they'll be £250 in PC World...

I don't expect an answer but its just frustrating to think that some poor sod will buy it not knowing they've paid way too much!

It's rather annoying that its been delayed, but I guess it gives us another 2 weeks to assess all the other tablets that are flooding the market. The one on Play seems good, other than its only 7", the ones in Next, Toys R Us etc... are all being slated and only have a resistive screen. So far, The Vega is winning on price and specification, but who knows if something else will pop up in the mean time!?

Guest k jules

I think the ASUS tablets that will come in Q1 2011 will be awesome. They already said that a 10 inch android device powered by tegra will be <399 USD and will ship with gingerbread.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/29/asus-la...e-already-feel/

This tablet thing will really take of @ CES. I think I might wait untill january before making a decision.

hey guys its looking looking a little more rosey just recieved some pos for the advent vega and also the galaxy tab no launch dates but a few basic specs, nothing we dont already now. Very slight chance that they may fast track them out to stores via dhl for the launch still wouldnt hold my breath but a slight chance.

Guest amarko5
nVidia Tegra is only infinitely better :). Well, I'll put it this way, Tegra 2 is a Dual core Cortex A9 @ 1GHz, the Archos' TI OMAP is single core Cortex A8 (older architecture).

The GPU of the tegra is capable of 1080p video, the OMAP is 720p max. But maybe the most important thing is that the Archos 101 and 70 have half the amount of RAM (256MB) of the Vega, which makes it considerably less future proof. And I also red somewhere that the storage available for apps is only 192MB on the Archos.

PS.

yes, I signed up just to post this :)

well thank you K Jules :(

I've just asked him why he's selling it at £370 when they'll be £250 in PC World...

I don't expect an answer but its just frustrating to think that some poor sod will buy it not knowing they've paid way too much!

It's rather annoying that its been delayed, but I guess it gives us another 2 weeks to assess all the other tablets that are flooding the market. The one on Play seems good, other than its only 7", the ones in Next, Toys R Us etc... are all being slated and only have a resistive screen. So far, The Vega is winning on price and specification, but who knows if something else will pop up in the mean time!?

I have been more diplomatic :)

Just asked him to point out the spec difference with the version at currys and dixons....

I have been more diplomatic :)

Just asked him to point out the spec difference with the version at currys and dixons....

I've actually got a reply!

The reason he's selling them is to sell into Europe for those that do not have access to Curries or PC World.

He must not realise that the Dixons group already have several European brands and will no doubt push this through those channels too.

Still, with the value of the pound against the Euro, he'll never sell them at the price!

I think the ASUS tablets that will come in Q1 2011 will be awesome. They already said that a 10 inch android device powered by tegra will be <399 USD and will ship with gingerbread.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/29/asus-la...e-already-feel/

This tablet thing will really take of @ CES. I think I might wait untill january before making a decision.

Ive read a lot of these stories too about big named brands releasing their "proper" tablets in March 2011 and that's when Honeycombe, the "proper" android OS is out. The fact of the matter is that the Advent Vega is not only a tablet, its tegra 2 tablet which is more than capable of running honeycombe. The only downside is possible lack of 3G on this device but 3G dongles are available everywhere anyway.

I say buy the Vega, root it, hack it, enjoy it and when Asus and Co release their tablets next March, upgrade your OS too. I very much doubt we'll see anything matching a Tegra 2 tablet under £250 this in the next 6 months.

Guest firedup

I'm ready to be flamed or whatever but I just ordered a Viewsonic Viewpad 10 from Misco as it's in stock and I was annoyed at waiting for the Vega.

It has dual boot Android and Windows Home 7 for £430 + I get £125 cashback for trading in my ancient cheap net book making it nearer £300.

YES I KNOW it only runs Android 1.6 due to Intel restrictions. BUT the CEO has been on record to say they won't actively discourage users from putting on whatever operating system they want, hinting that it could be hacked to 2.1 / 2.2 or maybe even Google Chrome.

YES I KNOW Windows 7 isn't ideal for tablets. SO THEY SAY. I'm not expecting it to work brilliantly with the touchscreen but at least you have the option of having full blown functionality of Windows 7 when needed, and it has 2 USB ports so you can easily add a mouse and hardware keyboard if needed.

I'm sure there will be other flaws people are eager to point out but it fits my needs for now. Plus I'm sure we can hack it and get 2.2 up and running. If they are true to their word I should get it in the morning so I will post some initial thoughts tomorrow night.

Guest Carbonize
BUT the CEO has been on record to say they won't actively discourage users from putting on whatever operating system they want, hinting that it could be hacked to 2.1 / 2.2 or maybe even Google Chrome.

No he's just saying they wont go out of their way to stop people doing what they want with it like Sony did with the PSP and Apple does constantly.

YES I KNOW Windows 7 isn't ideal for tablets. SO THEY SAY. I'm not expecting it to work brilliantly with the touchscreen but at least you have the option of having full blown functionality of Windows 7

Windows 7 has touchscreen support including multitouch and gestures.

Guest firedup
No he's just saying they wont go out of their way to stop people doing what they want with it like Sony did with the PSP and Apple does constantly.

Windows 7 has touchscreen support including multitouch and gestures.

But do you think we will be able to port 2.2 to it? I'm not that bothered too much as will mainly use Android for quick email and web access which 1.6 does OK with. But still, would be nice....

Guest Carbonize

From what they say no. But I think they are hoping that people will port Chrome OS or some other versions of Linux over to it. Many a mediocre device owes it's popularity to the fact it is easily modded.

But do you think we will be able to port 2.2 to it? I'm not that bothered too much as will mainly use Android for quick email and web access which 1.6 does OK with. But still, would be nice....

Funny the way you shoot yourself in the foot :)

As long as you are happy with what you purchased, that is the most important!

For me, no choice as Flash and HD 1080p capable is a must (2.2 + Tegra)

I have to say, I am also disapointed by this extra waiting time but my Bank account isn't...

Edited by BooToo