Which Micro sd card to get?

Guest Evil Panda

Guest Evil Panda

I need help on deciding which Micro sd card to get for my phone. I'm using FLB Mod 1.7 right now with a 8 GB class 2 right now but I heard it better to get a faster micro sd card. Should I get a Toshiba Micro SDHC 16GB Class 4 for £17.99 or Samsung 8GB Micro SDHC Plus Class 6 for £14.99?

Guest WallOfSound

Do you find yourself worrying about storage space with your current 8 GB or not?

If yes then get the Toshiba.

If no then get the Samsung.

If it was me I'd get the Samsung.

Guest h3dshot
I need help on deciding which Micro sd card to get for my phone. I'm using FLB Mod 1.7 right now with a 8 GB class 2 right now but I heard it better to get a faster micro sd card. Should I get a Toshiba Micro SDHC 16GB Class 4 for £17.99 or Samsung 8GB Micro SDHC Plus Class 6 for £14.99?

like wall of sound said, if you are currently running short of memory with your 8gb card go for the 16gb class 4, if your coping go for the 8gb class 6

Guest ambrozija

I'm using Kingston 8GB Class 4 card. On tests it shows about 3.6W and 8-10R, but I have no problems with it. I'm using FLB 1.6, with OC, Swap and JIT and I have LinPack and other benchmarks towards the higher end of spectrum (for Pulse that is).

Just my 2¢.

Guest ambrozija
Does the class really make a differents?

If you have class 2 card, you're probably better off without swap... class 4 or higher is needed to gain some improvements off of it (although, in my case, 3.6 :) class card is enough)

Guest Evil Panda

So there no real different if from the class 4 or a class 6? If that the case, I might as well get the 16 GB class 4 only £3 more and get double the size.

Guest WallOfSound

Yes there is a difference. The different classes are the speed at which data is written to the card, class 2 is rubbish, class 4 is twice as fast, class 3 is three times as fast, anything higher won't work on the pulse. If you actually need a large sd card then you are probably transfering files to it fairly reguarly and that will be noticeably faster with a better card for example. Get the class 6 unless you are finding your current 8GB too small, it's faster, it's cheaper, you get a ten year warranty and an SD adapter.

Guest Evil Panda
Yes there is a difference. The different classes are the speed at which data is written to the card, class 2 is rubbish, class 4 is twice as fast, class 3 is three times as fast, anything higher won't work on the pulse. If you actually need a large sd card then you are probably transfering files to it fairly reguarly and that will be noticeably faster with a better card for example. Get the class 6 unless you are finding your current 8GB too small, it's faster, it's cheaper, you get a ten year warranty and an SD adapter.

hmmm...don't really matter about the speed of the transfer if the pulse can't get any higher then a class 3, then why get a class 6 if it won't work up to that speed? Is that class 3 a typo?

Guest ambrozija
hmmm...don't really matter about the speed of the transfer if the pulse can't get any higher then a class 3, then why get a class 6 if it won't work up to that speed? Is that class 3 a typo?

I think what the OP meant was class 6, not class 3 (there's no class 3). I think that our pulse is capable of writing to the card with 6MB/s (which is class 6), but I'm not completely sure. Class 4 works fine for me though, although you might get better results with class 6. :)

I see You're from the UK, so if You go for 8GB Samsung one, get it off ebay - will save a £5. Not sure about links policy here so just type "8 gb micro sd class 6" in search box, it'll be a first result - £10 with adapter and free delivery of course Samsung class 6. Bought it l/w, on computer stable 10 MB/s write speed, on Pulse noticable difference in speed compering to old 4 GB class 2.

Regards

Guest Evil Panda

I don't trust ebay for getting memory card as most of them are fakes, the one that is £10 is not a Samsung but a no band one. Thank you all for you help, I decided to get the 8Gb Class 6.

Yes, got rubbish one before so know what You mean, but one i mentioned in previous post [ sell by sknkferg ] IS Samsung class 6 - i wouldn't recommended otherwise.

Good luck with your choice

regards

Edited by m4dm3n

Does the class really make a differents?

Class 0 - These cards do not specify performance, which includes all legacy cards prior to class specifications.

Class 2 - Minimum of 2 MB/s performance. Lowest speed for SDHC cards.

Class 4 - Minimum of 4 MB/s performance.

Class 6 - Minimum of 6 MB/s performance.

Class 10 - Minimum of 10 MB/s performance.

further information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digita...ed_Class_Rating

Guest de_shepherd
Class 0 - These cards do not specify performance, which includes all legacy cards prior to class specifications.

Class 2 - Minimum of 2 MB/s performance. Lowest speed for SDHC cards.

Class 4 - Minimum of 4 MB/s performance.

Class 6 - Minimum of 6 MB/s performance.

Class 10 - Minimum of 10 MB/s performance.

further information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digita...ed_Class_Rating

Also, be aware that these are minimum performance requirement. I have a 16MB "class 2" card but from the SD card speed test I get write speed of 4MB/s and read of 13MB/s ... n.b. I've now got swap and apps on this card which may be impacting on the test results as I have had write speed reported at 5 or even 6MB/s in the past.