Well I want to get the ZTE Blade but.....

Guest shakerist

Guest shakerist

Well im 15 years old and so im not the richest of people and im stuck with my good old k800i which is actually a great phone its indestructible going 3 years with loads of drops, anyway I like the ZTE Blade because its an android not just an android a good cheap android phone judging by all the reviews and numerous threads saying how great the phone is and in some cases how not so great it is. Well my main question is does this phone come with some kind of a warranty or do you think it will last 2 years minimum, I am in to moding i did what I could do to my k800i and my psp but I want a new Toy :D. Also seeing a number of people complaining about the battery life, would it last me 24 hours I wont be calling that much and would be using Wifi for maybe an hour and if I have credit I will use 3g but not for long periods of time just 5-10 minutes. I would be playing games and using some other apps maybe for an hour, oh and it needs to wake me up in the morning :P would it last 24 hours. Or would a wildfire be better ( I have to wait longer ) Doing some research the wildfire has got a crapper processor and screen when compare to the Blade, I dont know but the Blade seems to good to be ture :D HELP!!!

Edit:

Oh and by installing other ROMS and unlocking it do I void the warranty (if it has one)

Edited by shakerist

based on how my battery perform (2 days with min use), I guess it will get you through 24 hours period. But thats my guess...

It'd be easy to see if you flashed custom ROMS, so if you need to return it for warranty, flash the stock ROM back should cover it. About unlocking... I doubt they will check (unless you return the phone with a non-orange sim in it, which is very obvious)

Guest shakerist
based on how my battery perform (2 days with min use), I guess it will get you through 24 hours period. But thats my guess...

It'd be easy to see if you flashed custom ROMS, so if you need to return it for warranty, flash the stock ROM back should cover it. About unlocking... I doubt they will check (unless you return the phone with a non-orange sim in it, which is very obvious)

How would you say the build quality is , Solid ?

Also does it run all games and apps smoothly ?

Guest StevenHarperUK

2.1 ROMs games - GOOD

2.2 ROMs games - VERY GOOD

Build quality : fair - better than any phones in its price range.

If your after a long lasting Great build quality phone, then your going to have to spend 4x more and get a desire or Samsung.

Still given the choice I prefer my blade, its cheep and I don't have to worry too much about it.

Guest shakerist
2.1 ROMs games - GOOD

2.2 ROMs games - VERY GOOD

Build quality : fair - better than any phones in its price range.

If your after a long lasting Great build quality phone, then your going to have to spend 4x more and get a desire or Samsung.

Still given the choice I prefer my blade, its cheep and I don't have to worry too much about it.

Thanks for your reply well if its not gona break just from normal everyday use after 2 years its alrite but obviously if i dorp and screen cracks thats a diffrent matter entirely, anyone know anything from warranty

Guest rbbrslmn
Thanks for your reply well if its not gona break just from normal everyday use after 2 years its alrite but obviously if i dorp and screen cracks thats a diffrent matter entirely, anyone know anything from warranty

i dropped mine drunk on friday night on the street and it seems to have survived intact.

About unlocking... I doubt they will check (unless you return the phone with a non-orange sim in it, which is very obvious)

unlocking using a code (like from nckcodes) will not void the warranty (its the same way Orange would unlock it for you if you paid them for the unlock).

Guest shakerist
Get the Wildfire you will look far cooler in school :P

haha lol "what phone have u got"

"well erm , errr.. they call it the san fransisco :D"

nah i dont care what people in school think they dont understand the techy bits if it goes on facebook thats enought :D

Guest shakerist
Best to pull something bigger outta your pants

Can we stay on topic :P Does anyone have any idea on warranty and how can i get discounts i dont have a student card, and do all orange stores have a working phone I can go and test out? I am quite tempted to buy it

Guest popoyaya
unlocking using a code (like from nckcodes) will not void the warranty (its the same way Orange would unlock it for you if you paid them for the unlock).

no need to buy an unlock code now, the froyo rom removes simlock for free.

Guest lovelldr
no need to buy an unlock code now, the froyo rom removes simlock for free.

Really? And does it stay unlocked if you return to a 2.1 build?

Also as for battery usage, had my phone running now for just over 24 hours. Not done much usage with it, but I did have navigon sat nav running for about 45 minutes yesterday. Data usage is on 24 hours, checking email every 15 minutes on an imap server, with exchange and google mail push. Used tapatalk for about 5 minutes, and about 5 minutes phone calling. Still have 30% left it reckons...

My advice is to try and condition the battery best you can...

When I first got the phone, used it straight out of the box. Had about 40% battery. Used it till it was dead (apart from plugging in to usb to flash and do a few other things to it). Then, charged it full for about 4 hours (was full in about 3, but left it for another hour). Then, kept using it till it died, recharged it fully, and so on for about 8 times (do it for at least 5 I would say, and up to 10). Now, I just use it as is. If battery is < 20% when I go to bed, I just stick it on charge...

Edited by lovelldr

Guest Kame_boy
(...)

When I first got the phone, used it straight out of the box. Had about 40% battery. Used it till it was dead (apart from plugging in to usb to flash and do a few other things to it). Then, charged it full for about 4 hours (was full in about 3, but left it for another hour). Then, kept using it till it died, recharged it fully, and so on for about 8 times (do it for at least 5 I would say, and up to 10). Now, I just use it as is. If battery is < 20% when I go to bed, I just stick it on charge...

I don't know why one would do this. There seems to be some misconceptions about Lithium-based batteries such as those in our phones. They do not like full discharges at all. You should rather charge them frequently instead. Down to 20% battery is often ok.

Read more here:

http://batteryuniversity.com/

Do and Dont

And for you lazy people here are some battery-knowledge highlights:

A lithium-ion battery provides 300-500 discharge/charge cycles. The battery prefers a partial rather than a full discharge. Frequent full discharges should be avoided when possible. Instead, charge the battery more often or use a larger battery

Aging of lithium-ion is an issue that is often ignored. A lithium-ion battery in use typically lasts between 2-3 years. The capacity loss manifests itself in increased internal resistance caused by oxidation. Eventually, the cell resistance reaches a point where the pack can no longer deliver the stored energy although the battery may still have ample charge. For this reason, an aged battery can be kept longer in applications that draw low current as opposed to a function that demands heavy loads

Short discharges with subsequent recharges do not provide the periodic calibration needed to synchronize the fuel gauge with the battery's state-of-charge. A deliberate full discharge and recharge every 30 charges corrects this problem. Letting the battery run down to the cut-off point in the equipment will do this. If ignored, the fuel gauge will become increasingly less accurate.
Edited by Kame_boy

Guest john306

I don't like the idea of a battery only lasting "300-500 discharge/charge cycles" .

I charge mine at least once a day so at worst I'll not make 10 months :P

Guest dadashi

I've charged my three year old N95 every night since the day I bought it. AFter three years the battery power is nearly as good as new! It even gets me thru 2 days purely as a phone, no music or camera use.

According to the 300~500 charges equation from above, it should have died over a year ago....

It's 300-500 full cycles. If you are charging it everynight you are doing partial charges. This is much better for the life of the battery than letting it die and then doing a full charge.