Converting movies for the Streak

Guest JoNiKaH

Guest JoNiKaH

So, theres a lot of free programs out there to convert media from any format to any format. Does anyone know what are the settings for converting movies for Streak ? kbps, fps, bps so that I get best quality while having no problems with large movie files (ex. 700 MB avi or mp4 file)

So far I know the best format to play them is mp4.

Thanks.

Guest Niner86
So, theres a lot of free programs out there to convert media from any format to any format. Does anyone know what are the settings for converting movies for Streak ? kbps, fps, bps so that I get best quality while having no problems with large movie files (ex. 700 MB avi or mp4 file)

So far I know the best format to play them is mp4.

Thanks.

Try using Rockplayer, plays the vast majority of file formats without the need to convert

http://rockplayer.freecoder.org/index_en.html

After spending way too much time trying out all kinds of DVD ripping programs, I use mencoder in Linux to convert DVDs from the command line. A 45 minute video is compressed to under 160 MB and plays without any skipping. Other programs running on the Streak in the background may cause stutters though. I have seen some improvement after enabling the graphics hardware acceleration in build.prop (debug.sf.hw=1).

For a 4:3 video this seems to work fine although the 0.4 s delay needs some adjustment since the latest update of RockPlayer. Note that the delay takes into account the lag of my bluetooth headphones.

mencoder dvd://2 -o "Star Trek Season 5 Episode 05 Disaster".mp4 -vf scale=640:480 -lavfopts format=mp4 -ovc x264 -x264encopts bitrate=256 -oac mp3lame -lameopts br=129:vol=10 -delay 0.4
The same with scale=320:240 compresses faster to about the same size. Stretched to full screen the quality is lower than with 640x480 but it is acceptable. For a 16:9 DVD I used this but again it could be further optimised.
mencoder dvd://1 -o avatar.mp4 -vf scale=384:216,harddup -lavfopts format=mp4 -ovc x264 -x264encopts nocabac:level_idc=30:bframes=0:bitrate=512:threads=auto:turbo=1:frameref=6:trellis=1:chroma_me -oac mp3lame -lameopts br=128:vol=10 -delay 0.25
It took me a while to work out how to create a link to the DVD drive so that mencoder can see it:
sudo ln -sf /media/cdrom0 /dev/dvd

RockPlayer is very good but VPlayer (Alpha) is fine too and does not have a logo in the top left corner.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest lee1026

Here is my handbrakecli options. It works quite well for me.

/cygdrive/e/Program\ Files\ \(x86\)/Handbrake/HandBrakeCLI.exe -i "$InputItem" -o "$result" -O -e x264 -q 0.6 -a 1 -E faac -B 96 -6 dpl2 -R 48 -D 0.0 -f mp4 -X 800 -Y 480 -m -x cabac=0:ref=2:me=umh:bframes=0:subme=6:8x8dct=0:trellis=0;

Guest yosemite-sam

I use Daniu soft Video Converter Ultimate, I go for quality so not sure whats best for smaller files.

(...............^ name shows as spam without the space!)

Res: 800 x 480

Audio bit rate:160

Video bit rate:2500

heres a sample only 2.5 mins and almost 60mb lol great quality tho!

Sony Bouncy Balls AD (Heartbeats tune)

you need something colourful to show off that amazing screen lol

Edited by yosemite-sam

Guest mrmrmrmr

the problem I have is , if I make a good quality 720p video with high bitrate, rockplayer plays it like in slow motion.

What is the best bitrate and resolution to play with rockplayer on Dell Streak ?

Or a better decoding software ? Vplayer ?

• 5 years later...