installing it in a car

Guest DREDDERS

I've bought one about 10 days ago - really really pleased with it.

Plan on installing in place of an aged Factory Fitted SatNav - perfect fit - cost of new road data is less than price of N700

BARGAIN !!!

Traffic Sensitive SatNav + neat UI to my music & video's - it's a really neat upgrade.

Real question is - has anyone has managed to work out how to dismantle it, I'm keen to be able to remotely mount an on/off switch, when it's behind my dash.

Guest ccs-digital

How have you mounted the N700 in your car?

I have bought a slightly dodgy car mount from eBay (claims to be for Samsung Galaxy Tab, but is really just a generic mount for large devices), which does hold it but needs to rest on top of the dash to stop it wobbling about, and is not convincingly secure :P

Guest mj_blue
Real question is - has anyone has managed to work out how to dismantle it, I'm keen to be able to remotely mount an on/off switch, when it's behind my dash.

The black back of these does pull off, bit stiff at first but it will snap off and back on again

Mark

Guest DREDDERS

Thanks mj_blue.

The back actually consists of a black sheet & moulded grey back plate [glued together]. Removing the the screw between the SIM & Memory card, also helped !!

post-280892-1291026595_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...
Guest GB-UK
How have you mounted the N700 in your car?

I have bought a slightly dodgy car mount from eBay (claims to be for Samsung Galaxy Tab, but is really just a generic mount for large devices), which does hold it but needs to rest on top of the dash to stop it wobbling about, and is not convincingly secure :mellow:

Was it one of these car mounts you bought?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?VIS...em=380323040768

• 2 months later...

I'm hoping to use mine as a car pc/satnav device. Bought the new CoPilot for it (tested it and works fine) and got a 16gb microsd on order to load music on to. Has anyone found a suitable method of powering the ViewPad when in the car? So far I've tried a 1amp usb car charger which is powerful enough to charge the device providing it's not in use, when being used as a satnav the battery still decreases :)

Got a 2amp usb car charger on order to see if this will do the job!

Another question, has anyone used the Brodit ViewPad7 mount? It looks to be the most sturdy of the ones I've seen but also seems that it might cover the audio and usb ports?

Guest John...
I'm hoping to use mine as a car pc/satnav device. Bought the new CoPilot for it (tested it and works fine) and got a 16gb microsd on order to load music on to. Has anyone found a suitable method of powering the ViewPad when in the car? So far I've tried a 1amp usb car charger which is powerful enough to charge the device providing it's not in use, when being used as a satnav the battery still decreases :blink:

Got a 2amp usb car charger on order to see if this will do the job!

If you look carefully at the supplied charger you will see that it is a non-standard mini-usb connector: 8-pole possibly but the cable is only two-core. I'm sure it would be a simple matter to cut the cable and join it back together with a polarised connector pair. Then it would be a relatively simple matter to convert various other charging options. The supplied charger is very fast! Certainly much faster than the 2amp charger I obtained from Maplins....

Regards

John

Edited by John...

Guest badmonkey23

I installed the Viewpad7 in my car, I used a regular mini-usb cable, and even though my drive to work is only 15 minutes, that is enough to fully charge the tablet from sitting idle while parked all day.

I haven't really needed an external power button, so long as I unlock the tablet straight after starting the car, I don't need to press the power button.

Here's a link to my install

http://www.mp3car.co...-dvd-drive.html

Guest sunil_k

You've done a great job im impressed. I will look to see if I can do this with my car but I doubt there is the room on my dash.

I installed the Viewpad7 in my car, I used a regular mini-usb cable, and even though my drive to work is only 15 minutes, that is enough to fully charge the tablet from sitting idle while parked all day.

I haven't really needed an external power button, so long as I unlock the tablet straight after starting the car, I don't need to press the power button.

Here's a link to my install

http://www.mp3car.co...-dvd-drive.html

Can I ask if you're using the Viewpad as a satnav also? If so can your charging solution maintain the charge of the viewpad?

Guest badmonkey23

Can I ask if you're using the Viewpad as a satnav also? If so can your charging solution maintain the charge of the viewpad?

Yep, the Voice Search in the built-in nav app is brilliant.

Yes, even with GPS, Wifi and Bluetooth all running, the tablet charges fully during the 15 minute drive to work. I use Tasker to enable them when the car starts, then turns them off when the car stops. I'm just using a regular USB Car Charge adaptor hardwired into the car's electrical system.