24/Jan 2.5.1.8: ClockworkMod for the Advent Vega

Guest PaulOBrien

mine booted in about 10 secs

Yes similar here, now I've redone the CWM it boots under 20 secs from running the recovery app.

I'll just wait patiently for R7 in the kitchen now - it's always good to have a bit of a clear out back to a factory fresh device (I tell myself!) ;-)

Guest professordes
I've burnt that one (since the Vega is in its native state now anyway)

It gets in and out of recovery OK and has cold booted a couple of times.

This (clockworkmod 2.5.1.8 from the r4 recovery + stock 1.08) seems pretty solid now. It's still alive and kicking after being off overnight and being subjected to numerous reboots into/out of recovery......

Edited by professordes

Guest Thresherinc

I followed the instructions at the top of this topic and have had no problems, booted into and out of recovery mode.

Already had Vega Recovery installed with r6.

Now then, wondering if it's worth flashing 1.08 and then r6 with small bar and no PP or worth waiting on r7?

Small bar is so nice I no longer wish to give it up.

Guest simonta
As we can't get into clockwork without first booting into a working system has anyone tried flashing a clockwork backup with nvflash?

Yep, there are some posts already on here. Take system.img and data.img from cwm and flash away! You might need to adjust partition sizes in flash.cfg but it does work - I think rdvgeer posted about it...

Guest simonta

As a reminder (there's another thread on clockwork with a few posts), some of us have found what appears to be a workaround for CWM if you suffer from BSODs. I've always done stock->r6->cwm and got BSODs. Try stock->cwm->r6. Seems to work for some. Can't for the life of me see any reason why, doesn't make sense, but I've been BSOD free for about a week now.

Cheers

Guest Thresherinc

*********************************WARNING****************************************

I'd installed latest CWM, everything was working fine, I tried USB mode switch and BAM!!!

BSOD

Reflashed 1.08 kernel at the moment and will be putting r6 onto it without PP but looks like the mode switch combined with CWM crashed it.

All other reboots upto then had been fine.

Glenn.

Edit: It's just taken me an hour to put it back together again, thank my paranoia for full titanium backups and practice.

Seems a bit sluggish compared to the previous build, I'll probably rebuild properly when I get back from the South Coast, I'm off to a con this weekend until Monday, hence the rush to put it back together again.

Edited by Thresherinc

Guest rpmccormick

Same here.

1) Installed Higgsy's rom over on XDA via .exe.

2) Configured a bit.

3) Installed Higgsy's ClockWork Mod via .exe.

4) Rebooted in to CWmod and ran a backup.

5) Configured some more.

6) Ran USB mode switch to Host, and reboot = BSOD

I then re-installed the ROM, CW, restored a backup, configured everything but USB host, ran another backup. I have not tried USB Host again yet.

NOTE: Same basic thing happened when I first installed 1.06 and r6, but then it was fine for weeks with CWmod. Only 2 BSOD's ever in 2 months of use with CWmod, but it still sucks when it does happen.

Build seems anything but sluggish to me. Faster then ever. I never had the performance pack though.

Edited by rpmccormick

Guest olionair
*********************************WARNING****************************************

I'd installed latest CWM, everything was working fine, I tried USB mode switch and BAM!!!

BSOD

Reflashed 1.08 kernel at the moment and will be putting r6 onto it without PP but looks like the mode switch combined with CWM crashed it.

All other reboots upto then had been fine.

Glenn.

Edit: It's just taken me an hour to put it back together again, thank my paranoia for full titanium backups and practice.

Seems a bit sluggish compared to the previous build, I'll probably rebuild properly when I get back from the South Coast, I'm off to a con this weekend until Monday, hence the rush to put it back together again.

you not keep a nandroid back up?

Guest olionair
Installed clockworkmod using 1.06r6 when reboot bsod. Did this again but using 1.08r6 now clockworkmod is working. Thanks

i am running 1.06 with r 6 and no BSOD

One dumb beginner question:

When I read this experiences... It's not possible to restore a backup with clockworkmod at the moment?

Already did a backup of my Vega... But now I am afraid of restoring it :lol:

Edited by TerryH

Guest bakedecake
One dumb beginner question:

When I read this experiences... It's not possible to restore a backup with clockworkmod at the moment?

Already did a backup of my Vega... But now I am afraid of restoring it ;)

I've done 5 backups and 2 restores and never had a problem.

Guest emergant

I can confirm that BSOD is caused by corruption of the misc partition as stated elsewhere. I just fixed a BSOD by formatting only that partition using nvflash. I have no idea what the misc partition is used for but not mounting it would be a good idea I think in Pauls future ROMs if its not needed. Actually could we delete it altogether?

I am running the new kernel and CWM and caused the BSOD by using the USB switcher

Guest rpmccormick
I can confirm that BSOD is caused by corruption of the misc partition as stated elsewhere. I just fixed a BSOD by formatting only that partition using nvflash. I have no idea what the misc partition is used for but not mounting it would be a good idea I think in Pauls future ROMs if its not needed. Actually could we delete it altogether?

I am running the new kernel and CWM and caused the BSOD by using the USB switcher

Can you please post instructions for "formating only the misc partition using nvflash"? If some one could just make a .exe that you run which fixes the BSOD without changing anything else, I'm sure a lot of people would use and appreciate it.

Guest emergant
Can you please post instructions for "formating only the misc partition using nvflash"? If some one could just make a .exe that you run which fixes the BSOD without changing anything else, I'm sure a lot of people would use and appreciate it.

AT YOUR OWN RISK ETC

Well the 1.065 rom uses this command line

nvflash.exe --bct H5PS1G83EFR-S6C_V24_0625.bct --setbct --bl bootloader.bin --configfile flash.cfg --odmdata 0x000c0075 --create --go

to flash the whole rom

I did this from a linux vm on a mac on which I'd renamed the bct file

nvflash -w --bct flash.bct --bl bootloader.bin --format-partition 5

comparing those lines, from a 1.06 rom directory I'd run:

nvflash.exe --bct H5PS1G83EFR-S6C_V24_0625.bct --bl bootloader.bin --format-partition 5

You should run this after extracting the vega rom zip and changing to that directory. Partition 5 should be misc or msc as the vega rom calls it. You can get this info from the flash.cfg file. The --bct part may not be needed. Not sure

This is definitely vega rom specific dont use it on anything else which may have a different partition structure. Worked for me

If anyone has the tools to edit the self extracting zip file it should be simple enough to change the batch file to do this automatically

Edited by emergant

Apologies if this has already been answered, but i am using MCR6 on 1.06.5 and this comes built in, but when i try to use it, the vega reboots then comes up with the recovery icon in the center of the screen with a process bar that quickly dissapears, then the recovery icon image just stays in the center of the screen and nothing else happens, any way around this?

Guest rvdgeer
Apologies if this has already been answered, but i am using MCR6 on 1.06.5 and this comes built in, but when i try to use it, the vega reboots then comes up with the recovery icon in the center of the screen with a process bar that quickly dissapears, then the recovery icon image just stays in the center of the screen and nothing else happens, any way around this?

Clockworkmod is NOT built in...

Only the apk to boot to it is built in...

You need to flash cwm yourself to be able to use it!

Guest thedicemaster
comparing those lines, from a 1.06 rom directory I'd run:

nvflash.exe --bct H5PS1G83EFR-S6C_V24_0625.bct --bl bootloader.bin --format-partition 5

i don't know if the linux version of nvflash is different, but on windows that would be:

nvflash.exe --bct H5PS1G83EFR-S6C_V24_0625.bct --bl bootloader.bin --format_partition 5

on windows nvflash doesn't accept --format-partition

Guest emergant
i don't know if the linux version of nvflash is different, but on windows that would be:

nvflash.exe --bct H5PS1G83EFR-S6C_V24_0625.bct --bl bootloader.bin --format_partition 5

on windows nvflash doesn't accept --format-partition

Sorry you're right on both windows and Linux. Its a typo as I cant copy/paste between my linux vm and macos. On linux running nvflash without arguments documents the syntax