[ROM] [eclair] Finnish Fillyjonk RLS5 [2011-01-05]

Guest kallt_kaffe

has anybody figured out how to use apps2sd with this rom?

i found alot of different tutorials, none specific for the blade, but it didnt work.

so i used recovery_clockwork_2.5.1.3_blade_ext3 to format/partition the sd card and then installed the zip dtapps2sd-2.7.5.2-signed.zip from the sd card. after rebooting nothing has changed. the terminal command ls -l /data shows that the apps are still not forwarded to the sd card.

anybody a clue?

Partitioning with ClockworkMod doesn't work. You need to create an ext partition somehow else.

I think it really should be clearly stated in the ClockworkMod topic, because people keep on trying to use that non-working function...

Edited by k0nrad

Guest kallt_kaffe
Flashed this morning with rls3, unfortunately not such a good experience for me. Any sniff of oc and it freezes, even at 672, even had it freeze once with no overclock, and also random reboots at stock clock too.

This is not usual for my device, never had any freeze issues on any other rom i've tried.

Obviously, all the usual wipes performed before install, as was coming from paul's 2.2

Tried another wipe/install, same experience, device is ouk grey oled 512 3.2 Mpx

I've attached an addon to post #2 that use a less "agressive" AHB overclocking. It should fix your stability issues at stock clock and with a little luck also allow for some overclocking.

Guest kallt_kaffe
thats why i used recovery_clockwork_2.5.1.3_blade_ext3 <-- !!! i thought it was fixed in this version?!

I haven't tried with RLS3 but with RLS2 I used that clockwork version and partitioned _AND_ formatted my MicroSD card. Should work fine in RLS3 too.

But do NOT flash any apps2sd updates. It's built into the rom allready. As soon as it finds an ext2 or ext3 as the second partition it should us it automaticly.

Guest oh!dougal
I've attached an addon to post #2 that use a less "agressive" AHB overclocking. It should fix your stability issues at stock clock and with a little luck also allow for some overclocking.

@kallt_kaffe : Clearly overclocking this bus makes a significant performance improvement.

The downside seems to be that the battery runtime decreases.

Obvious you might say! BUT -- I think that the energy consumption even in Sleep is rather more. In fact, I suspect that when there's little else going on, that extra consumption is rather significant.

Since its of such significant benefit to max performance when the phone is seriously active, could a way be found to switch this 'on the fly'? (Without rebooting)

That way, one could have greater performance on-demand, without the shortened 'standby' runtime.

Of course, the thing then would be to automate the switching, so that speeds of (say) anything above 600 would call up the faster bus as well, whereas leaving the phone at standard speed, would leave it ... standard!

Sorry to suggest a mega-project!

When this tech gets rolled into FroYo, this cheap little phone is really going to embarrass its expensive competition!

Guest flatnote31
I haven't tried with RLS3 but with RLS2 I used that clockwork version and partitioned _AND_ formatted my MicroSD card. Should work fine in RLS3 too.

But do NOT flash any apps2sd updates. It's built into the rom allready. As soon as it finds an ext2 or ext3 as the second partition it should us it automaticly.

umm..

moved from MCR-r4 (2.1) with A2SD that uses ext2...

1- Seems that the RLS3 doesn't wipe files on sd-ext on installation, as they were all there when I rebooted after first install (and yes, I wiped Cache partition and Dalvik_Cache :) )

2- Rebooted in recovery, wiped sd-ext, installed RLS3, and whooops...Boot loop!

3- Rebooted in recovery again, installed r4, then RLS3, and got stuck on boot animation!

4- Rebooted in recovery and restored my NAND back-up (r4)

no clue why this happens, but boot loop is most likely due to system not being able to detect sd-ext!

another thing, took quite a while to boot first time (longer than usual first boot after fresh installs), and first time it ran there were some UI artefacts

still, good work K-K and appreciate any response ;)

Edited by flatnote31

Guest xionation

I would appreciate it alot if someone could tell me how they have there SetCPU set up as.. as in how do they have there profiles etc set up?

Love the ROM by the way it's great :)

Thank you

has anybody figured out how to use apps2sd with this rom?

i found alot of different tutorials, none specific for the blade, but it didnt work.

so i used recovery_clockwork_2.5.1.3_blade_ext3 to format/partition the sd card and then installed the zip dtapps2sd-2.7.5.2-signed.zip from the sd card. after rebooting nothing has changed. the terminal command ls -l /data shows that the apps are still not forwarded to the sd card.

anybody a clue?

Have you found solution? I'm strugling with same problem...

Guest kallt_kaffe
@kallt_kaffe : Clearly overclocking this bus makes a significant performance improvement.

Obvious you might say! BUT -- I think that the energy consumption even in Sleep is rather more. In fact, I suspect that when there's little else going on, that extra consumption is rather significant.

Since its of such significant benefit to max performance when the phone is seriously active, could a way be found to switch this 'on the fly'? (Without rebooting)

That way, one could have greater performance on-demand, without the shortened 'standby' runtime.

Of course, the thing then would be to automate the switching, so that speeds of (say) anything above 600 would call up the faster bus as well, whereas leaving the phone at standard speed, would leave it ... standard!

When this tech gets rolled into FroYo, this cheap little phone is really going to embarrass its expensive competition!

The AHB overclocking kicks in at 400MHz and above so it should not affect sleep. I can't say that I've noticed any significant change in battery drain. However I do suspect that the FlashNotify app will prevent sleep if you have a missed call or SMS waiting.

Guest kallt_kaffe
I would appreciate it alot if someone could tell me how they have there SetCPU set up as.. as in how do they have there profiles etc set up?

Love the ROM by the way it's great :)

Thank you

I only change the "Max" speed and check the "Set on Boot" checkbox (when I've verified that the speed I set as Max is a stable speed).

Guest flatnote31
I only change the "Max" speed and check the "Set on Boot" checkbox (when I've verified that the speed I set as Max is a stable speed).

Kallt_Kaffe , any answer to my case, plz?

Guest PeterDreher

I have Problems with Bluetooth and a Bluetooth-Headset Nokia BH-216.

It is paring really fine. But i can only call one time through the Bluetooth-Headset. Next call is going through the Earspeaker of the Phone again. Still paired. I can double click call on the Bluetooth-Headset and it will call, but only through the Earspeaker of the Phone.

THANKS

Guest Movisman

Hi guys,

I was using Seb's de-orangeated R5 ROM and moved to this one yesterday (created my own 'lite' version by removing quite a few zips) - am currently overclocked to 710mhz, left H/W acceleration off for now, and this ROM is fast!

However, i've noticed since unplugging it from full charge late last night (I also wiped the battery stats) the battery has dropped to 47 percent by 10am this morning, and I have hardly used it. It definitely is consuming a lot more power than Seb's ROM.

The only thing i'm using that will have an impact is NoLED, plus GPS is on. However I had GPS on and NoLED installed with Seb's ROM and didn't experience any major battery drain.

So, i'm not sure what is happening here. Could it be that when NoLED is active the CPU clocks at 710mhz instead of the lower setting? I guess I need to test and see. Any ideas appreciated!

Cheers

Guest oh!dougal
The AHB overclocking kicks in at 400MHz and above so it should not affect sleep. I can't say that I've noticed any significant change in battery drain. However I do suspect that the FlashNotify app will prevent sleep if you have a missed call or SMS waiting.

My 'feel' is definitely that sleep consumption is higher than FF2/HH (even with FlashNotify).

No missed calls (or other alerts) were actually interfering - and one good thing about FlashNotify is that it only kicks out of sleep during a flash/notification.

I've flashed in the update2 (removing bus overclock) and I'm back to the battery percentage remaining at 100% after a couple of hours sleep.

Would it be difficult to provide an update3 to flash the overclock back IN for fuller comparative testing? (Yes, one could put the whole rom back ...)

My understanding of the chip technology is that power consumption is pretty much pro-rata with the clocking. Its the state-changing that consumes power. So any part of any chip being run faster will consume more energy. The only question is how significant those modules consumption might be in the overall context of the complete phone.

Interesting that you should have the bus overclock beginning at 400.

As a design concept, I do find it very attractive to have a completely standard power profile at standard speeds (ie up to 600), but that going ANY faster than standard would bring in the bus overclock as well as the processor overclock - and it would allow SetCPU to engage or disengage the "warp drive" mode for when it was needed -- putting the user in full control!

BTW, I still find the FF-native WiFi to be 'a bit slow' reconnecting, routinely taking 10 to 20 seconds to reconnect, during which time Mobile Data often manages to reconnect ... and so I've again transplanted the HH WiFi folder, and it still gives much faster routine reconnection.

Guest jpdribbler
BTW, I still find the FF-native WiFi to be 'a bit slow' reconnecting, routinely taking 10 to 20 seconds to reconnect, during which time Mobile Data often manages to reconnect ... and so I've again transplanted the HH WiFi folder, and it still gives much faster routine reconnection.

FF = Finnish Fillyonk

HH = WTF??

:-D

Wifi reconnection makes some trouble here too, sometimes i need to disable an enable wifi to make my wireless work (2 Blades - TFT and OLED)

Where can i get the HH WIfi files?

FF = Finnish Fillyonk

HH = WTF??

Wifi reconnection makes some trouble here too, sometimes i need to disable an enable wifi to make my wireless work (2 Blades - TFT and OLED)

HH = Hungarian Hedgehog

Guest kallt_kaffe
As a design concept, I do find it very attractive to have a completely standard power profile at standard speeds (ie up to 600), but that going ANY faster than standard would bring in the bus overclock as well as the processor overclock - and it would allow SetCPU to engage or disengage the "warp drive" mode for when it was needed -- putting the user in full control!

My original plan was to use AHB clock = cpuclock/3 as the default kernel but as it seemed to be stable for everyone who had tested it (in a different thread) I decided to make it standard. That's actually why AHB overclocking was added even for 400, 480 and 600MHz. Perhaps it was a bad idea but as it gives a noticable increase in Quadrant speed even at 600MHz it felt like a good thing. I'll make another kernel with AHB overclocking starting at 672MHz

EDIT: Attached new kernel...

Finnish_Fillyjonk_RLS3_no_ahb_overclocking_at_600MHz.zip

Edited by kallt_kaffe

Hi from germany, and thanks for your great work so far.

I've flashed FF3 yesterday, coming from FF2 without wipe, and it is really amazing. Nonetheless I wanted to overclock the CPU, I had my Hero running at 730MHz (thats 40% more than stock speed :)) without any issues for one year. I hoped to get to 800 MHz or even more, and started with 710MHz. It immediately froze ;)

Next try was 672, where it was stable in both Quadrant and the SetCPU stress-test. Then I tried 691, stress-test was stable, but in Quadrant it froze. My conclusion was that the CPU was still stable at this speed, but the last stable frequenzy for the Memory-bus was between 336 (672/2) and 345 (691/2). So I flashed the addon to reduce the Memory-bus speed to 1/3 instead of 1/2.

First try with this was 691MHz, where it again made the stress-test without problems for 10 minutes. Memory-bus speed should be at 230, which is under 336, so I thougth it would be stable. First time it froze at the drawer of adw-launcher (I've got hw-ui enabled), Second time it froze at Quadrant at "I/O Database writes".

So, what does that mean? Is the CPU unstable although it walked through the stress-test? or is there something else that gets overclocked together with the CPU that is not affected by the stress-test?

Thanks for your help!

Guest oh!dougal
FF = Finnish Fillyonk

HH = WTF??

Hungarian Hedgehog is kk's 'other' Blade rom. It has its own thread.

All Blades (all current software) have occasional wifi reconnection difficulties.

Blade WiFi Fix automates the off/on process and only does it "when needed" - but I found that it was often fooled by the slow (more careful?) reconnection used in FF.

HH gives faster reconnection when it reconnects normally. (And Blade WiFi Fix can help ONLY when it doesn't reconnect.)

Transplant info http://android.modaco.com/index.php?s=&amp...t&p=1515355

Guest kallt_kaffe

The Wifi problem is still a pita. I've got the AR6000 source from Huawei that I've managed to successfully compile and use with my Huawei U8100. Getting it to work with the Blade would require a lot of messing with the MMC/SD code in the Blade kernel but hopefully i can be done. ZTE and Huawei seems to have choosed different ways to make the AR6000 driver to work with 2.6.29 driver and I suspect this might be what is causing the problems. Maybe something about how the MMC/SD system sleep/recover is handled? But it's not easy to understand how all this stuff works but I haven't given up yet.

Edited by kallt_kaffe

Guest oh!dougal
The Wifi problem is still a pita. I've got the AR6000 source from Huawei that I've managed to successfully compile and use with my Huawei U8100. Getting it to work with the Blade would require a lot of messing with the MMC/SD code in the Blade kernel but hopefully i can be done. ZTE and Huawei seems to have choosed different ways to make the AR6000 driver to work with 2.6.29 driver and I suspect this might be what is causing the problems. Maybe something about how the MMC/SD system sleep/recover is handled? But it's not easy to understand how all this stuff works but I haven't given up yet.

With 2.2 hopefully imminent, I think that the sensible thing is to ONLY look at 2.1 improvements that can confidently be expected to be able to be carried over into 2.2 ...

This is already a VERY good 2.1 (even if I personally prefer HH's normally very quick reconnection and its occasional failures caught by BWF).

I had something strange the other day. My battery was rather low and I seemed to get rather more reconnection failures than usual. Hence I'm wondering if there might even be a hardware aspect to the wifi glitches.

I'm pretty sure that having more than one network 'remembered' also increases the probability of a wifi glitch ...