[ROM] [eclair] Finnish Fillyjonk RLS5 [2011-01-05]

Guest kallt_kaffe

So the compass error at that point (for StreetView) is not 90 but zero? So the compass change has got the wrong sign (plus/minus)?

Seems to me like StreetView isn't getting the same orientation data that is coming out to other apps.

Like its using a different api call and getting a different answer, because ZTE have patched it to (try to) correct it at a higher level?

(Didn't Seb find something somewhat like that regarding Browser menu background colours?)

I'll try to explain this as good as I can. When using compass software (at the moment I have GPS Status installed) it's steadily 90 degrees off.

In Google Maps standard view, where you can see your location and map of the area, there is this little blue arrow following your movement. In north-south axis it's pointing at the right direction. When I'm turning around, the arrow turns to the opposite direction, so when I'm facing west the arrow is pointing to the east. When walking in east-west axis it looks like I'm going backwards. This same applies to street view compass mode, and it behaves just like I described before.

I'm not much of a programmer but it really seems that ZTE has done something really weird with their software. Sensor is reacting correctly to the movement but the data going to other apps is messed up.

Guest Sebastian404
Is this anything to do with the screen being upside down (and the corrections necessary to deal with this)?

I was thinking that, had it been 180 degree's I'd of said yes...

but the fact that using a OUK B08 kernel + Finish ROM its still wrong, it has to be something they have 'fixed' in the build of android.. I wonder if any of the others have this problem...

Guest oh!dougal
Yes, you could say that the compass is working and moving correctly. It's just 90 degrees off all the time and thus pointing always at the wrong direction. So I could navigate with it because I know the north is really in the west when looking at the compass. ...

... In Google Maps standard view, where you can see your location and map of the area, there is this little blue arrow following your movement. In north-south axis it's pointing at the right direction. When I'm turning around, the arrow turns to the opposite direction, ...

Just regarding North. What you are saying is that Compass and Google Maps are showing different things.

I absolutely agree that the Finnish compass software seems to be FUBAR.

But it seems they chose to f*** around with it because there's something different to do with the sensor, which doesn't show up as a difference to System Info.

That's the first puzzle, what and why?

Just a thought.

"System Info" is probably picking up from a software file somewhere, isn't it?

Its not going to be probing the hardware directly.

And if ZTE had patched their software in the functional bits for a different module, but left the descriptive headers unedited, would we know that there was a different sensor underneath?

And instead of fixing whatever the underlying change was, they seem to have chased around applying patches in different places, to try and swat the symptoms, producing these bizarre results.

Edited by oh!dougal

Guest JolyonS

I was thinking more of the turning-in-the-wrong-direction than the initial 90 degrees out problem.

Guest allvetarn

my OF hung up with the oc 672 mhz :/

probably just my unluck with the cpu...

does not want to boot after this....

Guess im back on the froyo, goodwork thou!

is't possible to change the dpi in 2.1? thought the resolution was huge

Edited by allvetarn

I wonder if any of the others have this problem...

In Saunalahti (finnish operator) support forum there's several other people reporting same behaviour as I am.

Just regarding North. What you are saying is that Compass and Google Maps are showing different things.

I absolutely agree that the Finnish compass software seems to be FUBAR.

Yes, compass and maps show different things and behave differently.

I'm trying to get some answers from my operator regarding this issue. Maybe someone there can contact ZTE and ask what's going on with their software and compass sensors. I won't be trying to fix this by flashing my phone before I can confirm this isn't something that needs warranty service.

Guest oh!dougal
In Saunalahti (finnish operator) support forum there's several other people reporting same behaviour as I am.

Yes, compass and maps show different things and behave differently.

I'm trying to get some answers from my operator regarding this issue. Maybe someone there can contact ZTE and ask what's going on with their software and compass sensors. I won't be trying to fix this by flashing my phone before I can confirm this isn't something that needs warranty service.

I've got this feeling that we may find out with this issue just exactly what process ZTE might have for rolling-out fixes and (maybe one day) upgrades ...

Guest Sebastian404
I've got this feeling that we may find out with this issue just exactly what process ZTE might have for rolling-out fixes and (maybe one day) upgrades ...

From poking around, I think there is some method to update the ROM via either a file in the SDcard, or a specially formatted SD card....

It is on my list of things to look into..

Guest oh!dougal

Well ...

I've reverted to the Hedgehog.

And using Maps -> Streetview (which I hadn't previously)

when I engaged Compass Mode

the StreetView picture instantly

flipped

upside down ... ! :P

The image was what you'd see, looking in that direction, and panned appropriately, just upside down.

The notification bar was in the right place, but the StreetView image below it was upside down.

And of course rotating the phone made no difference - I had to twist my head over to be totally sure it was showing the right view for each direction!

And THEN things got properly strange ...

I thought I had Screenshot installed on this Nandroid image, so to show this weirdness, and prove I wasn't hallucinating, I gave the phone a good shake ...

and ...

... the picture flipped the right way up! :) :( :lol:

There's quite a few strangenesses in the compass/accelerometer software on the Blade ...

(And I now realise that you lot might have thought that the picture had been faked by turning the phone upside down... :) )

Guest Sebastian404
(And I now realise that you lot might have thought that the picture had been faked by turning the phone upside down... :) )

The thing is, the screen is in the phone the wrong way up... it was (we assume) hardware design decision, they 'fixed' that by hacking the Android OS to be upside down.

Unfortunately not everything pay attention to that policy.... resulting in a lot of oddness.

Guest theInquisitor

Is there an option to disable data usage on Finnish Fillyjonk? I don't have an OSF at hand and a friend of mine, who received his OSF today, was asking.

Guest oh!dougal
The thing is, the screen is in the phone the wrong way up... it was (we assume) hardware design decision, they 'fixed' that by hacking the Android OS to be upside down.

Unfortunately not everything pay attention to that policy.... resulting in a lot of oddness.

Yeah, know that well, but this was just the StreetView picture upside down under the (proper place) notification bar.

And shaking it .. fixed it! (Calibrating the accelerometer?)

From the (high) speed that StreetView runs at, I'd guess that it was making pretty low-level calls, rather than letting the OS chew and digest sensor info.

I'd expect Compass (the app) to take high level calls (accounting for calibration and who knows whatever else).

And I'd expect that to account for the apps showing different results in Finland. ZTE have probably bodged the trimming of the sensor by adding their fudge to the calibration. If StreetView takes the uncalibrated info, it could show and react very differently.

Guest oh!dougal
Is there an option to disable data usage on Finnish Fillyjonk? I don't have an OSF at hand and a friend of mine, who received his OSF today, was asking.

Its only the French operator that left out that option afaik.

Look for "Mobile Network" (rather than Mobile Data) under Wireless and Network Settings ...

Guest Kthulhu
Intalled Finnish RL2+HW acc. on new SF TFT screen: wifi Ok, gps OK, touchscreen Ok, compas OK..I will you let you know if something does not work but so far so good. :(

....not so good I am afraid. :)

Ok I have a problem.

I have installed this ROM on a White SanFran with TFT Screen.

All seems to work ok until you try and make a call.

When you make a call the screen goes blank like the proximity sensor has kicked in. BUT the screen stays blank. The call still connects but the only way back to the phone is to pull the battery . .

anyone else have this?

I have the same problem making and receiving calls, the proximity sensor is not working properly either does not trun off the screen during a call or turn it off forever. I unistalled taskiller apps and other stuff but it did not fix anything. Are OLED users oof this room having the same problem?

EDITED: proximity sensor calibration did the trick :)

Edited by Kthulhu

Guest theInquisitor
Its only the French operator that left out that option afaik.

Look for "Mobile Network" (rather than Mobile Data) under Wireless and Network Settings ...

Thank you! My friend found it with your help.

....not so good I am afraid. :)

I have the same problem making and receiving calls, the proximity sensor is not working properly either does not trun off the screen during a call or turn it off forever. I unistalled taskiller apps and other stuff but it did not fix anything. Are OLED users oof this room having the same problem?

I have this problem too.... OLED

press "*983*0#" to check sensor display "proximity fail",and "testing proximity" can't work. dispaly"proximity X:stop"

Edited by nuvola

Guest Sebastian404
press "*983*0#" to check sensor display "proximity fail",and "testing proximity" can't work. dispaly"proximity X:stop"

it says 'proximity is fail' until you test it...

press 'testing proximity' and then put your hand over the top, the sensor is near the earpiece, you should be able to get it to go between 'x: no' and 'x: yes'.

you might want to try the 'calib' button to to calibrate it..

Once its seen it go yes/no it will change to 'Proximity is ok!' (assuming it is working)

it says 'proximity is fail' until you test it...

press 'testing proximity' and then put your hand over the top, the sensor is near the earpiece, you should be able to get it to go between 'x: no' and 'x: yes'.

you might want to try the 'calib' button to to calibrate it..

Once its seen it go yes/no it will change to 'Proximity is ok!' (assuming it is working)

yes I try .

I press "Calib" and put my hand over the top , then screen display "proximity calibration OK", then I press "testing proximity",but "proximity " still "X:stop"。then I restart my phone and retry press "testing proximity",and put my hand over the top, some time the proximity say "X:no" and "X:yes",some time still "X:stop"...

and this time my phone ROM is r4, the proximity work fine.

Edited by nuvola

Guest paraselene
yes I try .

I press "Calib" and put my hand over the top , then screen display "proximity calibration OK", then I press "testing proximity",but "proximity " still "X:stop"。then I restart my phone and retry press "testing proximity",and put my hand over the top, some time the proximity say "X:no" and "X:yes",some time still "X:stop"...

and this time my phone ROM is r4, the proximity work fine.

The "proximity" and "light intensity" sensors will not be work at the same time :)