Possible to keep wifi on while Vega in standby?

Guest av1277

I have a Vega from the first batch and am really loving it.

I've not been able to find the setting to keep wifi turned on while the device is in standby. Is it possible?

Guest lnux9898

Seems that the device has some power saving settings on the kernel level. So until Advent release the source code, which they are legally obliged, I doubt there will be a workaround.

So until Advent release the source code, which they are legally obliged, I doubt there will be a workaround.

What licence is the code released under? We run Linux on some of our products from work and are very careful to avoid contamination by GPL'd code. We don't release our source generally for those products...

Guest harmohn
I have a Vega from the first batch and am really loving it.

I've not been able to find the setting to keep wifi turned on while the device is in standby. Is it possible?

Have you gone in to WiFi Advanced Settings:

Press Menu from desktop, Wireless & networks, Wi-Fi settings, press Menu, Advanced, Wi-Fi sleep policy drop-down menu; press Never.

Not tried this on my vega tbh; ...stuck at work ;)

Edited by harmohn

Guest MonkeyBoy451
Have gone in to WiFi Advanced Settings:

Press Menu from desktop, Wireless & networks, Wi-Fi settings, press Menu, Advanced, Wi-Fi sleep policy drop-down menu; press Never.

Not tried this on my vega tbh; ...stuck at work ;)

Yeah that option doesnt appear to be available on the Vega - just had a look. :P

Guest lnux9898
What licence is the code released under? We run Linux on some of our products from work and are very careful to avoid contamination by GPL'd code. We don't release our source generally for those products...

Reading the License page from Google, the majority of the Android code is Apache 2.0, while the kernel is, of course,GPL. I do hope that Advent use the example from Samsung, HTC, etc and release the code.

Thanks for correcting me ;)

Reading the License page from Google, the majority of the Android code is Apache 2.0, while the kernel is, of course,GPL. I do hope that Advent use the example from Samsung, HTC, etc and release the code.

Thanks for correcting me ;)

It probably isnt their code .. the code will be based off the OEM design .. so it may be out of advents hands

Guest SilentMobius
It probably isnt their code .. the code will be based off the OEM design .. so it may be out of advents hands

Not at all, while they don't need to release any framework changes they've made (due to the Apache licence) they do have to release the kernel source if they've sold a device containing gpl'd binaries. Combined with the binaries from the nvidia developers releases we should be golden then.

The deep sleep is really starting to annoy me now as none of my feeds/news/tweets are ready for me when I leave the house. Unlike my nexus one.

Guest English Haze

Agreed, this is the one major thing that is annoying about the device. It's not "always on" in the sense that it will not get notifications from mail and other feeds when it's "suspended" like a smart phone will. When you turn on there's a 5-10 second delay while it re-connects to the wireless and then syncs. Because of that you have to keep turning it on to check if you have mail or messages rather than getting a notification.

Agreed, this is the one major thing that is annoying about the device. It's not "always on" in the sense that it will not get notifications from mail and other feeds when it's "suspended" like a smart phone will. When you turn on there's a 5-10 second delay while it re-connects to the wireless and then syncs. Because of that you have to keep turning it on to check if you have mail or messages rather than getting a notification.

The flip side though, as stated before is that it will eat into the battery .. possibly quite badly, there is a good reason to keep it off when on standby.

It's no different if your using a laptop thats on standby.

On the acer liquid I have there is an option to turn off after 15mins ... I think thats more sensible tbh ... Having a range of timeouts for the wireless so that if your go out for example, it switches off after an hour or so.

It would be nice to see the option, just to see how much battery it kills, or not as the case may be, but I suspect a device may not even get though a day with it constantly on.

Edited by obb

Guest captainsensible

Is that strictly true that it will eat into the battery that much? I leave my wifi on all the time on my Desire and it uses little more battery than being connected to 3G (perhaps even less as its not hunting for a 3G signal when I am at home).

Would at least like the option so I can test - Of course, you can always leave your Vega plugged into the mains and set it so the screen does not turn off.

Guest SilentMobius
The flip side though, as stated before is that it will eat into the battery .. possibly quite badly, there is a good reason to keep it off when on standby.

It's no different if your using a laptop thats on standby.

On the acer liquid I have there is an option to turn off after 15mins ... I think thats more sensible tbh ... Having a range of timeouts for the wireless so that if your go out for example, it switches off after an hour or so.

It would be nice to see the option, just to see how much battery it kills, or not as the case may be, but I suspect a device may not even get though a day with it constantly on.

Unless the tegras' arm core's power collapse is substantially worse than qualcomms we should be fine. My nexus one goes for ages in standby with just wifi on.

Personally I'd be happy with CPU+wifi active when screen off and plugged in. At least I'd have the Guardian and my feeds available on the train.

Guest shutdown

This would be a great tweak, the time it takes to reconnect to wifi after waking up is ridiculous and probably my biggest and only gripe with the vega.

If it's been off for ages then it can be almost a minute to pickup the wifi again

This would be a great tweak, the time it takes to reconnect to wifi after waking up is ridiculous and probably my biggest and only gripe with the vega.

If it's been off for ages then it can be almost a minute to pickup the wifi again

You can make it a lot quicker by using a static IP address instead .. Mine is pretty much instant now .. although occasionaly it will state its trying to pick an address up ....

Guest nigelpwilson
You can make it a lot quicker by using a static IP address instead .. Mine is pretty much instant now .. although occasionaly it will state its trying to pick an address up ....

I might sound like a numpty, but exactly how do I do that ?

Guest MonkeyBoy451

Not a bad Idea - but I take mine between a few houses and have all their wi-fi's set-up and logged - unfortunately static wouldnt work in my scenario!

Not a bad Idea - but I take mine between a few houses and have all their wi-fi's set-up and logged - unfortunately static wouldnt work in my scenario!

You would be suprised ... the majority of routers out there default to either the 192.168.0.x subnet or 192.168.1.x. subnet and considering most people dont change it from the default its safe to assume it would be one of those ... So you would have a 50% chance of it working at the very least.

Guest removed-14
I might sound like a numpty, but exactly how do I do that ?

From memory, on the wifi settings page, bring up the menu and select advanced. You can set it in there.

Guest nigelpwilson
From memory, on the wifi settings page, bring up the menu and select advanced. You can set it in there.

Hi, can see the check box but no idea what settings I'm supposed to complete ....any ideas?

Guest removed-14
Hi, can see the check box but no idea what settings I'm supposed to complete ....any ideas?

Probably best not to mess about if you are not sure what to put in.