Identifying a TFT screen by build number

Guest Donkey Oaty

Guest Donkey Oaty

Hi,

I need to swap out my Blade later today as it has a load of dust under the screen.

The Orange shop is holding a Black phone for me as a replacement, and are happy for me to check the screen type first. I'd rather stick with a bit of annoying dust than change to a TFT version that doesn't run the roms.

I was wondering if I can just go by the build number in settings to identify the screen type rather than standing in the shop with a black bag on my head?

Cheers

Guest The Soup Thief
Hi,

I need to swap out my Blade later today as it has a load of dust under the screen.

The Orange shop is holding a Black phone for me as a replacement, and are happy for me to check the screen type first. I'd rather stick with a bit of annoying dust than change to a TFT version that doesn't run the roms.

I was wondering if I can just go by the build number in settings to identify the screen type rather than standing in the shop with a black bag on my head?

Cheers

No info for you on model numbers, but (as you've probably figured yourself) just switching both on and looking at the screens side by side on a menu screen should help you spot any differences in the blackness

Hi,

Cheers

Better checked by looking at the screen (is black really black or is it a grey you can see light in?)

Build wise, anything which is OUK_P729BV1.0.0B05 is pretty much guaranteed to be OLED, anything which ends in 08 could be either OLED or TFT (in the uk) I suspect it's more likely to be TFT though.

Guest Donkey Oaty

Thanks for the replies.

My main concern with recieving a TFT is that they don't seem to be able to be flashed to the existing Froyo roms etc. I've got used to using these roms and don't want to have to go back to the bog standard Orange rom

Guest Lollingsgrad
My main concern with recieving a TFT is that they don't seem to be able to be flashed to the existing Froyo roms etc.

Mine is how much it'll screw with ongoing development of the OLED ROMs. With any luck it'll just be a case of switching the base ROMs on everything to the *08 one.

One of mine that arrived today is a grey case TFT and it has version B08. Less contrast with the black background is noticeable and does look worse, but if anything the icons have sharper detail

Guest steve1221

Had mine arrive about an hour ago. Just booted it and its an LCD. If you cup your hands around it you can see a glow around the edge of the screen, which I guess is the backlight ?

This means I can't flash it with Paul's r3 (which I'm using on mine), I guess. . bum.

Guest sorrowuk
One of mine that arrived today is a grey case TFT and it has version B08. Less contrast with the black background is noticeable and does look worse, but if anything the icons have sharper detail

Had mine arrive about an hour ago. Just booted it and its an LCD. If you cup your hands around it you can see a glow around the edge of the screen, which I guess is the backlight ?

This means I can't flash it with Paul's r3 (which I'm using on mine), I guess. . bum.

Where did you both order from?

Where did you both order from?

I ordered my LCD one from the Orange website just before they went "out of stock". I found out afterwards that were actually out of of stock already and I had to wait a couple of days while they got stock from elsewhere, presumably from a new batch?

Where do you find the build number?

Choose settings icon on programs page, then right at the bottom choose "About Phone" option then right at the bottom it says Build Number - mine (LCD) is OUK_P729BV1.0.B08

Guest oh!dougal
Choose settings icon on programs page (or click Menu when at the front page, then tap Settings), then right at the bottom {scroll down} choose "About Phone" option then right at the bottom {scroll down} it says Build Number - mine (LCD) is OUK_P729BV1.0.B08

The thing is , if you have an 05 then you DEFINITELY have an OLED.

An 08 could be either, but is almost certainly (especially if white) an LCD.

Edited by oh!dougal

is this model number thing only for stock rom i guess i have 2.2 g1 rom its saying there FRP1 only. How can i know know its oled or not. Its look like oled but i cannot sure ...

Guest Donkey Oaty

Well I collected my replacement and its a 05 LED version, so I'm pleased with that and it is running froyo as I type.

it was the last in stock. sales Guy said that they had a new batch in today and were told to quantine them until further notice. they were the tft version.

Guest AceOfSpades

ok I'm really confused here. I just bought one today, I asked the guy to get the oldest one in the shop (he looked at me strangely and didn't know anything about the amoled/lcd problem) I looked at the screen and it was very black and I can see the pixels arn't directly vertical they are sort of jagged. The build number also ends with B05, all this lead me to believe its an OLED. However I got home and took a pure black photo and viewed it in a pitch black room and I find theres still a very dim glow coming from the screen, it stays the same no matter the bightness setting of the screen (not edges), I was under the impression there should be no light whatsoever. So whats going on here?! The viewing angles are also superb absolutely no colour inversion.

Having said that if this screen is lcd the black level is just incredible and the colours so vivid. The max brightness is also retina burning. What do you guys think?

For anyone unsure about the difference, here's a picture of my ipod with a TFT and my Blade with an OLED. They're both displaying the same picture at the same(ish) brightness levels. As you can see, the blacks on the OLED are far far superior and make the TFT rather poor looking. The funny blotches on the ipod are watermarks after a heavy saturday night so ignore those!

H9Elu.jpg

Anyone know how the AMOLED stands up with the others?

Guest AceOfSpades
If it's B05 then it's OLED. The small amount of light you're seeing may be from the button lights?

I thought this a first as well but no the lights went off and there was still the glow from the screen. Its no where near as bright as the ipod pictured its not even visible unless in absolute darkness. My impression is that its either oled or some kind of high quality ips lcd screen because the viewing angles are faultless.

Can someone with an oled test it in complete darkness with a black background to see if it has a slight glow.

If it is oled my only explanation can be that the screen is always powered even in black and the battery saving stuff is lies or it is LCD and the B05 means nothing so many more could have LCD and not realise

PS my instuction booklet doesn't mention amoled in the specifications but quite clearly states version 1, do others state amoled?

I ordered a black one from the recent e2save deal and a grey one arrived yesterday. It is an OLED one though so I am happy. I presume there are both grey and black versions.