Defy Overclock

Guest Higgsy

I now recommend using an app call "SetVsel" available on the market developed by Inteks, as it is specifically for the defy and does away with the need for various apps Original Thread

Not my work, just posting up here. Props to trickyhenry over at XDA for bringing this to my attention and of course the guys responsible for bringing the Milestone-Overclock to us and adding support for the Defy.

Google Code link: http://code.google.com/p/milestone-overclo...es/detail?id=63

So as per the above overclock is now available for Defy. Rooted phone is needed for this to work.

Download the Milestone-Overclock.apk and install.

Open the app and click on load module, then use the slider to select your overclock

QR code for direct access to the apk:

link removed due to a better solution being available

Edited by Higgsy

Guest dkSpook

WOW!

Mine's running along @1200mhz now and just kicked out a Quadrant score of 1314 ;)

snap20101209_115649.png

When Paul gets Froyo (or maybe even GB, who knows?) ported to this little beauty, she's gonna FLY :P

Thanks for posting!

Edited by dkSpook

Guest dkSpook
stable? what about the battery life?

I just set mine @1ghz and using SetCPU to ensure it scales properly between 300mhz and 1ghz, I'll keep System Monitor (GET THAT APP!) logging for the next 3 days, I'll be sure to post my results. 800mhz -> 1000ghz really makes it more snappy and it was no slouch before. I hope the battery doesn't take too big a hit.

Guest Liao Chou
I just set mine @1ghz and using SetCPU to ensure it scales properly between 300mhz and 1ghz, I'll keep System Monitor (GET THAT APP!) logging for the next 3 days, I'll be sure to post my results. 800mhz -> 1000ghz really makes it more snappy and it was no slouch before. I hope the battery doesn't take too big a hit.

ok,thanks,just wait ;)

1ghz/60vsel seems stable... Gonna keep it here I think :)

Although I wonder how little power it really needs to keep running at 800mhz...

I'm running 1ghz 56 vsel - with no stability issues, Its fair enough seeing what we can get out of it, but in the real world, I don't think it needs any more than 1ghz. I'm not really seeing any difference with battery life at 1ghz either.

Guest griffitt3

Hey guys...this topic is really making me consider this phone. I'm due for an upgrade. Help me here......I was originally going to get the Galaxy S, thought about the new nexus but it looks like a glorified galaxy s in all reality to me......but now I'm really thinking about getting this defy ! Am I understanding this post that it is out performing the galaxy s ?!? I know the screen is a bit smaller ,but what is your opinions on this Defy vs the Galaxy S.....screens,speed,etc.....?

Guest dkSpook
Hey guys...this topic is really making me consider this phone. I'm due for an upgrade. Help me here......I was originally going to get the Galaxy S, thought about the new nexus but it looks like a glorified galaxy s in all reality to me......but now I'm really thinking about getting this defy ! Am I understanding this post that it is out performing the galaxy s ?!? I know the screen is a bit smaller ,but what is your opinions on this Defy vs the Galaxy S.....screens,speed,etc.....?

One of my coworkers has the Galaxy S, running Froyo... My Defy is running circles around it :)

I've been overclocked at 1ghz for the last 5 days without a glitch, so now I've started undervolting it in small steps to see how little juice it really needs for staying stable at that speed, thus getting great battery life while outperforming all the big, expensive handsets. And that's on Eclair, imagine how this little beast is gonna leave them in the dust once it get's Froyo! :)

One of my coworkers has the Galaxy S, running Froyo... My Defy is running circles around it :)

I've been overclocked at 1ghz for the last 5 days without a glitch, so now I've started undervolting it in small steps to see how little juice it really needs for staying stable at that speed, thus getting great battery life while outperforming all the big, expensive handsets. And that's on Eclair, imagine how this little beast is gonna leave them in the dust once it get's Froyo! :)

my favourite setting is 900/46

Guest griffitt3

That's kinda what I'm thinking Dkspook. This phone seems to be a bit of a "sleeper" in the andoid market. I have been stuck in the cliq xt for a year and hated every minute of it. Just don't want to get "stuck" in another phone I will be un-happy with. Moto has REALLY sucked on support of this device. ITS STILL ON 1.5 !!! thats why I finally gave in and rooted it. Really has scared me of Moto devices.

I ran quadrant on my cliq hit a staggering 256......WOW. Then I ran it on my wifes Droid and it surpised me with a 755.......way higher than the chart shows droid. What gives there ?

What do the stock charts look like on the Defy with Quadrant? And check out this "benchmark" review I found.....are these guys crazy? Or why did their test come out so below average?

http://www.laptopmag.com/review/cellphones...a#axzz18CaehHsw

That's kinda what I'm thinking Dkspook. This phone seems to be a bit of a "sleeper" in the andoid market. I have been stuck in the cliq xt for a year and hated every minute of it. Just don't want to get "stuck" in another phone I will be un-happy with. Moto has REALLY sucked on support of this device. ITS STILL ON 1.5 !!! thats why I finally gave in and rooted it. Really has scared me of Moto devices.

I ran quadrant on my cliq hit a staggering 256......WOW. Then I ran it on my wifes Droid and it surpised me with a 755.......way higher than the chart shows droid. What gives there ?

What do the stock charts look like on the Defy with Quadrant? And check out this "benchmark" review I found.....are these guys crazy? Or why did their test come out so below average?

http://www.laptopmag.com/review/cellphones...a#axzz18CaehHsw

Stock Quadrant is around 1100

• 2 weeks later...

I am curious - has anyone done any comparison between devices in real-world scenarios, i.e. not just benchmarks?

To me, it matters more whether applications run well, smoothly and are stable than whether it starts up a fraction of a second faster than on a phone I do not have nor have any intention of getting anyway :(

Guest add.thebad
I am curious - has anyone done any comparison between devices in real-world scenarios, i.e. not just benchmarks?

To me, it matters more whether applications run well, smoothly and are stable than whether it starts up a fraction of a second faster than on a phone I do not have nor have any intention of getting anyway :(

can get some serious speed out of this thing.

guess its very snappy at day to day use since the processor is from the same family as the g2. that is aslong as blur doesnt bring it down

Guest laysfrito

So I've been playing a little with this and just figured I would post my results for the record.

My starting point was 1Ghz and 56vsel; which resulted with ~1134-1190. Also, might just be me, but the menu felt just a little sluggish.

Tried a few combos landed on 1Ghz & 58vsel:

Highest

FNG3Z.png

Average Range (Low-High):

o9Zv5.png-----------zBlNG.png

But ya this phone is damn fast. Oh btw benchmarking done on: rooted, T-Mobile Defy running UK firmware, slight tweaking (removed unused default soft, so ~30 apps); runs with ~41% used ram.

Guest griffitt3

:unsure: ok guys. Just letting ya know what I decided and got. I am blown away by the device I chose and the benchmarks. I went in to get a defy or vibrant. This phone scores a1866 on quadrant! It gets 64 to 65 fps on neo core! And that's out of the box! Wow! Its the mytouch 4g! Wth?

Edited by griffitt3

Guest axecooper

Motorola to take on an amazing phone based on Android, which seems to be a bigger phone is released. Defy phone is a incredibly well built and very sturdy. Even if you do not challenge the best shows of the recent Android phones, is a reasonable middle-of-the-line phone Android, which is a nice display and a decent processor. And even if the phone has already been reported in Europe, challenging the recently released United States.

Guest #stingray#

Hi

Great stuff here, got mine clocked to 1000/56 and quite happy with it.

But does anyone know the stock vsel?

If you 'unload' the overclocker does it go back to the stock settings?

Thanks

Guest Higgsy
Hi

Great stuff here, got mine clocked to 1000/56 and quite happy with it.

But does anyone know the stock vsel?

If you 'unload' the overclocker does it go back to the stock settings?

Thanks

Yeah if you unload the module it goes back to stock 300/600/800. Dunno what the stock vsel is for 800mhz, never looked into it, but expect it will be around 60 as stock for 600 is 48

Guest #stingray#
Yeah if you unload the module it goes back to stock 300/600/800. Dunno what the stock vsel is for 800mhz, never looked into it, but expect it will be around 60 as stock for 600 is 48

I found some info here for the Droid X:

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-...ting-guide.html

Good info for newbies like me too!

Although it's for the Droid X might be the same for the Defy... Stock settings for the Droid qouted as:

300MHz 33 vsel

600MHz 48 vsel

800MHz 58 vsel

1000MHz 62 vsel

Guest Higgsy
I found some info here for the Droid X:

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-...ting-guide.html

Good info for newbies like me too!

Although it's for the Droid X might be the same for the Defy... Stock settings for the Droid qouted as:

300MHz 33 vsel

600MHz 48 vsel

800MHz 58 vsel

1000MHz 62 vsel

seems feasible as those are the stock vsels @ 300/600 for the defy

Guest MadStu

Hi all,

I'm new to Android, I've got this app installed, but can you tell me how to set the vsel?

Thanks

Stu :D

EDIT: Added Quadrant Screen Shot :P

post-175988-1294613573_thumb.png

Edited by MadStu