Gmail 2.3.2 out - installation failed...

Guest M Brouns

Guest M Brouns

Guys,

Can anybody share the apk version with us all?

And... what was the procedure again to push this with adb commands to the the rom?

Edited by M Brouns

Guest DougEdey
adb shell

mount -o remount,rw /system

cd /system/app

rm Gmail.apk

reboot

install Gmail.apk from the market

Mine was slightly different

Goto recovery mode first, then

mount -o rw /system

//then the rest

Guest markmandel

mount -o rw /system

//then the rest

Ah thanks for that. Was having the same issue with the update to Voice Search.

Solved it neatly.

Guest Arty Marty

No idea what is going on here, but if I delete the Gmail.apk (I used android commander and adb) it's gone - I look in the diorectory system/app for it with a file explorer - confirms its gone...

but when I reboot the phone, its back again! wtf ? is that from aps2sd+ or something? dont believe Ihad this problem last time I updated...

the market now says I dont have it installed, but if I click on the icon, it still runs and works...

Actually now I remember I might have had this problem last time, so I just copied the new Gmail.apk over the old one...

So - does anyone have gmail 2.3.2 .apk ?

please help.

Warmly, Marty

Edited by Arty Marty

Guest Iceberger
No idea what is going on here, but if I delete the Gmail.apk (I used android commander and adb) it's gone - I look in the diorectory system/app for it with a file explorer - confirms its gone...

but when I reboot the phone, its back again! wtf ? is that from aps2sd+ or something? dont believe Ihad this problem last time I updated...

the market now says I dont have it installed, but if I click on the icon, it still runs and works...

Actually now I remember I might have had this problem last time, so I just copied the new Gmail.apk over the old one...

So - does anyone have gmail 2.3.2 .apk ?

please help.

Warmly, Marty

Goto recovery mode first, then mount the system, connect usb cable (while in recovery), start android commander, delete the files (Gmail and Voice Search), reboot, now they are really gone.

you can install now from the markt.

Edited by Iceberger

Guest M Brouns
Just place onto your sdcard and then install.

Nope, that does not work ("Installation failed").

If removing the app using ADB is working, wouldn't that mean it is a better idea to make the Gmail app optional in the Rom Kitchen? I'd like to not install it to /system and then later download it from

market. That way I'll never get that crappy "installation failed" notice ianymore. I KNOW this is working, because it did when I upgraded from Gmail 2.3 to version 2.3.1 but after I reflashed my Kitchen ROM, Gmail was back in the System area... And: it also worked for Voice Search (that I did not include in my Kitchen ROM and downloaded later... upgrading it went smooth afterwards too)

Paul (or anybody else that might know the downside of taking Gmail from the standard Rom), could you comment??

Edited by M Brouns

Guest le_lutin
Nope, that does not work ("Installation failed").

If removing the app using ADB is working, wouldn't that mean it is a better idea to make the Gmail app optional in the Rom Kitchen? I'd like to not install it to /system and then later download it from

market. That way I'll never get that crappy "installation failed" notice ianymore. I KNOW this is working, because it did when I upgraded from Gmail 2.3 to version 2.3.1 but after I reflashed my Kitchen ROM, Gmail was back in the System area... And: it also worked for Voice Search (that I did not include in my Kitchen ROM and downloaded later... upgrading it went smooth afterwards too)

Paul (or anybody else that might know the downside of taking Gmail from the standard Rom), could you comment??

Paul is working on R10 at the moment. I would guess that gmail will be optional in the next ROM.

Guest marcuso

Hi all,

i made the fixes already with other google-apps a while ago (removing from /system, ...) so i know what i would need to do,

but my problem is that i can not find google mail in the market any more ?!

Appbrain suggest the update, but when following the market-link it is not found (and the installed version 2.3 also does not show up there) ?

Any ideas ?

Marcus

Hi all,

i made the fixes already with other google-apps a while ago (removing from /system, ...) so i know what i would need to do,

but my problem is that i can not find google mail in the market any more ?!

Appbrain suggest the update, but when following the market-link it is not found (and the installed version 2.3 also does not show up there) ?

Any ideas ?

Marcus

Its not in the german market yet, as often.

Just remove the old Gmail.apk, copy the 2.3.2 apk (its available, just do a google search) to your SD card and install it, worked like a charme for me

Guest Arty Marty
Goto recovery mode first, then mount the system, connect usb cable (while in recovery), start android commander, delete the files (Gmail and Voice Search), reboot, now they are really gone.

you can install now from the markt.

Doh.... Yes recovery mode - thought I didnt have to if using commander - ok, that fixed it... That was harder to get rid of than a red wine stain on a white carpet!

Thanks, you guys rock!

Warmly, Marty

Guest M Brouns

- Got Android Commander working (seemed my Android SDK was not on my PC anymore after I installed Win7)

- Installed Android SDK and Java (jumped from one installation into the other)

- After installing Andoid SDK it seemed ADB.exe was not yet installed. Needed to grab this using the SDK manager (remember that was not needed before)

- Finally, finally got Android commander to work and deleted Gmail.apk from /system/app

- Rebooted the device

- And.....

Yessss, it worked

PS. provided all steps above to help all fellow-noobs ;-)

Guest Kleptomaniac12

Paul if you can see this now PLEASE! I am begging you stop installing the google apps to system! Or at least make it an option not to, everytime an update comes out for one of them it is a huge pain in the ass to go through the stupid process. I just want my apps to update normally.

Uh, it is an option in the kitchen not to install Gmail, Maps, etc...

Take the back, no it's not!! You can do it yourself, though...

Edited by EddyOS

Please, please, please, please make sure R10 doesn't have these problems...

It bugs the sh!t out of me..

Is there any easier way to fix this than installing the ADB and doing all the stuff above to remove the

gmail and voice search app??

mount -o rw /system

//then the rest

I have done this a few times already and for some reason this time around something went wrong and the phone is now unable to boot. It is stuck in the HTC boot screen. I am unable to do anything with it.

Steps taken so far to recover it and no luck.

Remove battery, Sim, Card

Waited 15 min on HTC screen

Tried to go into recovery, pushfile unable to detect device, unable to ADB, device not detected

Wiped cache

Reset to factory

Tried to ADB in Hboot or Fastboot, device not detected

I cannot even go back to an original RUU because ADB cannot detect the phone, I do not have a goldcard and I cannot create one now.

Any suggestions?

Guest M Brouns

Is there any easier way to fix this than installing the ADB and doing all the stuff above to remove the

Guys,.. it isn't THAT bad. If you did get rid of it using ADB once, you'll likely never have to do it again.

Only if you redo a Kitchen Rom again. So, question is: will Paul make Gmail optional in R10?

And... if not, what would be the reason to keep it in by default? Is the removal making my phone instable?

I still get a lot of force closes that make my Apple-goof-friends laugh at me. And if something annoys me it's

that latter part. :)

Look guys. The problem with the kitchen placing Gmail & Co. in system folder is easily fixed. Just cook your rom as you would do normally and then open the zip file and move the files you want from system/app to data/app. Problem fixed and you don't have to use adb.

It's really not that big of a deal. Paul did that because those apps weren't updated often at the time and it did give us more Internal Storage. Some files were moved to system storage which is huge. You would moan about the lack of Internal Storage if he did it the other way around. Just move the apps as you see fit and your problems are solved.

Edited by bpivk

Guest Mr Taylor

S-off your phone, use root explorer and delete it from the /system directory, then install from market ...easy as :)

S-off your phone, use root explorer and delete it from the /system directory, then install from market ...easy as :)

S-Off? I'm guessing you mean Signature off or something like that??

Isn't that the default of the Modaco ROM?

I think I read that somewhere..

Root explorer is the app from Speed Software on Market?

Yeah, I know... Newbie but I have to ask to get the knowledge... :)