New guy with Dreambook ePad P10

Guest Squire_Au

Guest Squire_Au

Hi! Just new to Android and tablets in general. On Thursday I picked up a Dreambook ePad P10 tablet (labelled as P10AN01). It's a pretty close clone of the Advent Vega as far as I can see. The website is http://www.pioneercomputers.com.au/product...185&id=3221 if you want to check it out.

It took me a minute or two to enter my WPA2 key for my router, and it's happily internet-ing now. It seems like a great little device. Good to watch video on, good for the internet, nice quality sound, paired with my bluetooth headphones quickly.

I'm still getting used to it. My daughters played with it a lot, which slowed it down when I got it back, due to heaps of apps open in the background.

But a reboot sorted that out.

It doesn't have access to the Google Android market, it's got something else, and it seems to have most of the features (and lack of features) of the stock Vega. I've been told that Android 3.0 will be available for it sometime in the new year, with market access.

Anyways...

I'm sure I'll be back here soon. I can see this forum and I having a mutually beneficial relationship.

Squire

Guest tigris666

Hey Squire,

I got a dreambook epad 7" for xmas today. Like you, i noticed the market app is not quite "android", although the device itself is android, you can see it on boot, and in the menu mine says it's version 1.8 (quite old).

Anyway, mine is ridiculously slow, even after a reboot. A lot of the apps won't force close, they just stay running.

My first thought was to come here and see if I can flash froyo onto it somehow or something, since 1.8 is missing simple functionality like seeing what apps are actually running. But most of all I just want access to the default android app and the ability to navigate around without waiting 20 seconds for my commands to respond.

Guest Squire_Au

Tigris, I originally looked at the epad 7", almost bought one, but when the epad p10 3dui popped up on Pioneer's website I couldn't resist. Sorry to hear about your troubles. Mine runs Android 2.2, and it's generally quick to respond, if I don't try running too many things at once.

The app market would be nice. I'm not in love with the display... the viewing angle sucks, but I'm slowly getting used to it.

I guess I'd better give it a while before I think about hacking it. Pioneer say that Android version 3.0 is due for release, and will be available for my epad. And it should have access to the market. These things are so new that the software has a long way to catch up. I'm having trouble finding a decent version of freecell for it, let alone a decent shoot the crap outta the aliens 3d game. There's not a whole lot of apps out there that fill a 1024 x 600 screen. Ahh well... it's not a bad music & video player, but I coulda got a portable DVD player that takes a USB hard drive for one fifth the price of this. I hope things catch up soon.

Squire.

If its labelled as P10AN01 then it is actually an Advent Vega. I just found out about the Pioneer P10, I'm not sure how the pricing compares with the UK product but I have been looking for a decent tablet available locally and this is probably the only one (the Optus and Telstra options are well priced, but the processor in the Optus one is a bit disappointing and the touchscreen on the Telstra one is terrible). I think Paul has made some Vega roms with market support added, so they should work on the P10.

Guest tigris666
it's not a bad music & video player, but I coulda got a portable DVD player that takes a USB hard drive for one fifth the price of this. I hope things catch up soon.

This is my thoughts as well. So far I can only see myself watching videos on the train with it, which I currently use my HTC Desire for, but with this bigger screen it would be a winner. But as you said, a portable dvd player would have been cheaper, but hey it's an xmas present so technically to me it's free. I wonder how it will go with divx movies though, i am not 100% sure, but i think this cpu/ram specs in this thing may be less than the desire.

Guest Squire_Au

My P10AN01 (comes up with that on boot) plays divx and xvid fine. I haven't tried anything hi-def, but the common xvids of about 350MB for 45 minutes play perfectly. It'll also play H264 with no problems. Mpg video won't play. Also can't handle AAC audio, but the next update to Android should fix that. Holding it at just the right angle for good viewing is a pain... I maybe should investigate some sort of stand.

Hasn't got native support for FLAC audio - I downloaded andLess which plays FLAC perfectly. And found a sweet little app that plays the old school (VERY old school) text based adventures, like Zork and Starcross, called Twisty. Hell of a good way to waste a few hours - even weeks. And adobe pdf reader for android works fine, although the user interface is difficult.

Anyways... the more I play with it, the more I like it. Not sure of the capabilities of the HTC desire, but it generally gets glowing reviews. I didn't want a phone, just a reasonable android tablet with a 10 inch screen.

Squire