ZTE Blade / Orange San Fran. or Ipod Touch 4th Gen

Guest Habstaz

Guest Habstaz

Hi there,

I plan on having the ideal entertainment device that will be able to perform your usual internet uses online, regardles of WIFI or 3G.

I also want a device that will be good in the long run with popularity (Android vs Apple basically) and be able to know which device could keep its price better in case I wanted to sell it on later.

If someone can provide me the pros and cons of both please with a concluded opinion. There is no right or wrong answer please, I just want your opinions, especially if you own either device, so I can make a good purchase that I will happy for

Thanks and Happy New Year! :unsure:

Guest nonamer123

Even i don´t "like" apple devices ... In case of selling it in a few years i would choose apple :unsure: Look the prices of the really old macbooks or ipods on ebay ...

Guest iashraf

I have Blade and a Second Generation iPod Touch.

the ipod user experience is really great - the OS runs really smooth and there is never any lag. Games work perfectly and the overall experience is really smooth. I would certainly recommend the ipod touch over the blade if you don't really want/need the phone and 3G functionality.

The blade benefits from a large community of tinkerers, but it's not really a benefit for you if all you want is a multimedia device.

I still use my ipod touch as a music and entertainment device -- and use my blade as a communications tool, and I'm always connected to the internet over 3G.

hope that was helpful

Edited by iashraf

Guest jt_mcg
Hi there,

I plan on having the ideal entertainment device that will be able to perform your usual internet uses online, regardles of WIFI or 3G.

I also want a device that will be good in the long run with popularity (Android vs Apple basically) and be able to know which device could keep its price better in case I wanted to sell it on later.

If someone can provide me the pros and cons of both please with a concluded opinion. There is no right or wrong answer please, I just want your opinions, especially if you own either device, so I can make a good purchase that I will happy for

I don't think the iPod touch has 3G/mobile data capabilities.

Guest livingdead

ermmmmm this is a strange topic, because a Blade (which I have) is a communication device - hence it is known as a PHONE.

An iPod Touch 4th Gen (which I have as well) is a music player/entertainment device - and it is NOT a phone.

where is the sense is comparing the two?!! :unsure:

Guest jt_mcg
well, it would be kinda difficult w/o a sim card slot :unsure:

Exactly, which is why I thought it was a weird comparison.

The phrasing in the original post confused me a bit seeming like OP thought they could get WiFi and 3G on both.

You can get mobile data on the iPad, and I thought the features of the two were being confused.

Guest jamidodger1
Hi there,

NOT A IPOD! I got a 3rd Gen One for my birthday (september) and i'm on my third one, as i've had problems with them and apple don't exactly help ¬¬ its still not right, 2500songs all jumbled up, Apple iDevices Are Cheaply Made And Just Arnt Worth It

Guest Smiff2

apple stuff holds its value better but..

how about you buy the device that suits you now.

i think the Blade is cheap enough (and the screen probably big enough) that i'm considering buying more as SatNav devices for example.

for music though, I prefer the Sansa players.

for video, Archos are great and have TV out.

really depends what you want to do...

Guest isambard

the apple plays music, videos and has access to email and web.

so does the blade. therefore, if that's all you do, then you can legitimately compare the two devices.

fwiw. i have 2 ipod touch 4G. i plan on selling them both now that i have the blades.

i suspect the ipod is better as a media player (integrated access to itunes store etc.) but for what i want to do, the blade is better and cheaper.

Guest HypnoPig
I have Blade and a Second Generation iPod Touch.

the ipod user experience is really great - the OS runs really smooth and there is never any lag. Games work perfectly and the overall experience is really smooth. I would certainly recommend the ipod touch over the blade if you don't really want/need the phone and 3G functionality.

The blade benefits from a large community of tinkerers, but it's not really a benefit for you if all you want is a multimedia device.

I still use my ipod touch as a music and entertainment device -- and use my blade as a communications tool, and I'm always connected to the internet over 3G.

hope that was helpful

I'm in the exact same situation as far as the two devices are concerned. The iPod Touch 2G and San Francisco are my only devices running iOs/Android. As far as media is concerned I truly hate my iPod Touch - you'd think that as a media device it would be perfect but I find iTunes screws it all up. A lack of accepted file types and the way iTunes takes over my computer really put me off my iPod. After plugging it in I end up waiting for a few minutes while iTunes backs up, updates, syncs and probably installs more Apple software without me knowing. However once the songs and videos are on your iPod it's quite good, they play as you would expect and have a nice interface.

As far as the San Francisco is concerned the way you have your content setup is more up to you. Since you don't use clunky iTunes and you can just drag/drop onto your SD card and thus transfers are a lot easier. After you download some good media apps (I suggest Winamp and Rock Player) it's pretty perfect. I'm able to browse my network HDD, something I couldn't seem to get working on my iPod and just take music from there as I please, without needing a cable. The same applies to Dropbox.

To be honest it really comes down to what you're getting for the price you pay. From the Apple Store an 8gb iPod is £193 and a 32gb iPod is £254. I bought my San Francisco for £110, pair it with a 16gb SD card and that's about £125. When it boils down to it the San Francisco is a far better price for a device that does the same job with added 3G and calls/texts.

Apple just drip feed basic features over a long period of time with iOS, I say this in reference to things such as folders, phone searching, copy/paste, wallpapers, multi-tasking etc. Android has such strong community support as a whole that anything you could want someone will likely have a solution to.

For resale the iPod touch drops in price every year because you can be sure there will be a new model. I don't imagine there is much demand for used San Franciscos as they are already pretty cheap.

If you have money to throw around, you don't really know much about technology and want to impress people with a few cheap tricks get an iPod Touch. If you want a device with similar features, call functionality and a rapidly growing app market the ZTE Blade/San Francisco is perfect. *Nudge nudge*

Guest isambard

i guess you also have to factor in the resale price. after let's say 2 years, a £193 ipod will probably still sell for £120. Maybe the £110 blade will sell for £37 (assuming you keep the SD card).

So actual cost £73 vs £73. Oh, look, it comes to the same. Fancy that! :unsure:

Guest Smiff2
i guess you also have to factor in the resale price. after let's say 2 years, a £193 ipod will probably still sell for £120. Maybe the £110 blade will sell for £37 (assuming you keep the SD card).

So actual cost £73 vs £73. Oh, look, it comes to the same. Fancy that! :unsure:

that's not how money works though... money tied up in a purchase can't be used for something else, and you're assuming the device isn't lost/stolen/broken. to take this to extremes, imagine a £73 device with no resale value, and a £1073 device with £1000 resale value. if they are equally good, you are better off taking the £73 device and throwing it away after x years

personally i think the Blade is cheap enough that it might replace mediaplayers/satnav/sports-gps with the phone being a bonus (you can run it without a sim!).

but then i won't buy Apple devices on principle (or Sony, or several others - anything that doesnt' use standard connectors) because they irritate me.

Edited by Smiff2

Guest The Alpha Gamer

What OS do you have on your computer?

Linux makes iPod Touch's useless in some ways

While I hear if you have Windows you have to download drivers for the San Fran.

Do you prefer to sync your music or just drop and drag it? You only get the choice with Android, iPods force you to sync.

I find buying things easier on my iPod, it forces you to set up your credit/debit card before it'll even let you have free stuff. While the Android app market seems complicated, making you set up a Google Checkout account.

Must have apps and games seem to have perfectly usable free versions more often on Android though.

What about price? From what I've seen iPod Touch 4th gen's are around £200, whereas the San Fran is only £100. If you have £200 to spend, why not see if you can get an older gen iPod Touch AND a San Fran and have the best of both world's?

Edited by The Alpha Gamer

Guest Arr Too

Of course, iPod touch doesn't have a compass or GPS (or expandable storage). And older generations don't have a camera -- oh, and the camera is poor on the latest gen (0.7MP!!).

Guest RussellS

I have both the iPod Touch 4g and an Orange San Francisco which is rooted and running a custom 2.2 ROM so I shall point out the good and the bad with both.

Firstly the iPod Touch. This really is a nice piece of hardware. It feels very robust in the hand and certainly doesn't feel like it is going to fall apart or break any minute. The display is exceptionally good and the touchscreen is very responsive. The OS is very slick and smooth with no lagging at all and all applications and games that I have tried run very smoothly. However, you cannot have widgets running on the home screens (as far as I know) so you cannot have live news feeds or live weather feeds etc, you can only run them as applications one at a time (meaning that only one can be visible at a time). You can however have music playing in the background while running other apps. So, the hardware itself is very good but it is let down badly, in my opinion, by iTunes. I absolutely hate iTunes because it dictates how everything has to be done. You have to use iTunes to put new music onto the iPod, so you cannot plug it into another computer to copy tunes across because you have to sync the device with iTunes. Album art is another bone of contention as well. I am used to having my album art as a single jpeg file in the same folder as the album tracks. However, iTunes will not recognise that and insists on having the album art embedded into every single track separately.

So, onto the ZTE Blade/Orange San Francisco. For the price it is a very good piece of hardware but, being realistic, it is not as well made or robust as the iPod. I always feel like I have to treat the SF more carefully than the iPod. This is not so bad now I have a silicone case (Nokia E71) and will be even better once proper dedicated SF silicone cases are available. The display is extremely good (I have the TFT version) although not quire as good as the iPod's and the touchscreen is responsive but, once again, not quite as good as the iPod's. The OS however is, in my opinion, better than the iPod's especially if running Android 2.2 mainly because the OS is so configurable. You can customise it to your requirements by adding widgets to the home screens in any combination you like. Also you are not tied to any particular software to manage music loaded onto the SF. Just plug it into any computer (any OS) and it appears as an external storage device and you can just copy your music or videos across. I run a Linux computer at home so while I can manage the SF fine with that, I have to use my work laptop running Windows XP to run iTunes and manage the iPod.

To be perfectly honest, if I knew then what I know now, I probably wouldn't have bought the iPod and would have just got a SF or even two (one as a phone & one as a media player).

One other thing to take into consideration is if you intend to use either device as a music player connected to a home stereo. In this instance the iPod is definately more convenient because you can use an iPod dock which is just so much more convenient and more aesthetically pleasing than having a seperate USB cable and audio cable connected to the stereo and charger. The iPod can also be controlled by remote control in this instance as well whereas the SF cannot.

I personally don't think that the iPod is worth the £100 extra that it costs but that is only my opinion and you may think differently. However, whichever you end up choosing, I'm sure you will be pleased with your purchase and if it does end up being the SF then you will be able to afford lots of music to put on it with the money saved.

Hope this is helpful and good luck with your decision.

Russell

Guest Smiff2

yeah it really comes down to "do you like itunes?" and for itunes to be good, apparently that means "do you have a Mac?"

if you buy two SFs, presumably you could use one (your phone in your hand) to control the other (playing music on your hifi)? though i haven't tried this, is there a network remote music player app?

Guest Nognir

I think there are 2 deciding factors in that choice

1.Audio playback

2.Gaming

1. is because the audio output on Blade is quite low, 2.is because iTouch provides better multitouch and gaming availability (it hurts to admit but Android 3d gaming is still miles behind rotten apple's)

I chose to invest in a Blade because I can also use a PSP in regards to gaming and audio. It's your call. But the thing that keeps me away from iTouch is the lack of removable storage, if I'd get one I'd go for 32/64gb, 8gb is way too low

Guest doubleluckstur

All the people above me seem correct so I will just go over what's my reasons:

I got both for Christmas so after a little play around.. I can tell you that with either device a little voice inside your head will be saying 'Jailbreak / root it' B)

But if you can control that voice and not jailbreak / root it, then the iPod touch is the best entertainment device. It is quite expensive compared to the blade though, so if you don't have the money then the blade is a good all-rounder.

If you want a camera, the ipod touch is only 0.7 megapixels, compared to the blade's 3.2 MP. So te camera on the blade is better, but the video camera for the ipod touch is HD, whereas the blade's is really unusable.

Battery life seems to be far better on the iTouch 4G compared to the blade.

The iTouch internet through wifi cannot be beaten, although the blades is also good. If your looking for an internet device either one is of reasonable quality.

Overall, if it's entertainment your after and do not care about 3G, then go for the iTouch. Games and HD movies play brilliantly, and sound quality is much better than the blade, although through headphones they both seem the same.

But if you want a device to root / jailbreak, then I believe the blade is more fun in that department :unsure:

Hope this helps you in some way :angry:

Edited by doubleluckstur

Guest doubleluckstur
There is no way I'd use either the Blade or an ipod touch for my music playback needs but For those who do use a touch, can't you just use Foobar2000 with the foo_dop Component?

haha... iPod's are meant for music ya know :unsure:

haha... iPod's are meant for music ya know ;)

Pity they do such a poor job of it then, isn't it. ;) I'll stick with my players which have a stable rockbox port (which actually includes an ipod). :)

unfortunately foobar is windows only.

Sadly, yes. But at least windows users have an alternative to itunes.

Guest AceOfSpades

The sound quality on my blade is poor, there is a hissing in the background which is annoying when it goes quiet and the volume on the lowest setting is way too loud, on the loudest it coloud probably break the earphones.

So if you want good sound quality I would say go for the ipod