Windows Phone 7 Update details announced

Guest awarner

Guest awarner

The new Windows Phone 7 update information has finally been released :D

While there is no official date as yet it is hoped to be announced soon but it certainly looks like the Windows Phone 7 team are on schedule to make this great OS even better with some much requested improvements.

So you are all asking what is exactly in the update?

Well..... read on,

Copy and paste

Soon you’ll be able to copy text from emails, text messages, web pages, and Office Mobile documents, and paste it anywhere you can type.

Using copy and paste is easy and intuitive. In many cases you just tap a word, slide your finger to highlight any additional text, then tap the Copy icon. To insert this text in a message or app, just tap the spot where it should go, then tap the Paste icon.

Copy and paste is a handy way to quickly send someone’s latest Facebook update, turn-by-turn directions from Maps, or a must-see link from Internet Explorer Mobile. Once you’ve copied something, you can paste it again and again.

The new feature adds to the list of time-saving shortcuts already built into Windows Phone, like the ability to tap an address on a webpage to map it (US only).

Faster apps and games

Nobody likes to wait. That’s why we’ve whittled down the time it takes for apps and games to start up and resume. It’s all part of our focus on getting you to the things you love, easier and faster.

Better Marketplace search

We’ve streamlined Marketplace search to make it easier to find specific apps, games, or music. Press the Search button in the apps or games section of Marketplace and you’ll see only apps or games in the results.

Press Search in the music section of Marketplace to search just the music catalog.

Getting phone updates

How will you know when an update is available? Easy. Your phone is designed to automatically tell you via a pop-up message (unless you’ve turned this option off). For more details, see How do I update my phone software?

Thanks for the update MS (taken from the Windows Phone Site )

Guest awarner

It's all about cloud computing now I'm afraid.

You can sync using Exchange but what I do is link my Outlook to a Livemail account using Outlook extender and then that is synced with my phone so now I don't actually need Outlook to sync.

Shame Tasks can not be synced anymore though.

Igo8 no idea about and the same would possibly apply to TomTom if either ever released a WP7 version, but then they may be able to sync OTA eventually?

Guest AhmadMR

I was hoping for improved support of other languages, Arabic in particular (since it is my mother-tongue language) because WP7 currently can read Arabic letters but not for all fonts (only original WP7 font apparently) nor can write in it, and Microsoft has previously promised to add more support for languages in its next update (including Arabic).

Whatever, I'm enjoying my Omnia 7 very much, despite the fact I need to go to my Windows Live contacts or calendar each time I need to add a new contact or schedule an appointment!

Waiting for this update... and the beyond!

Guest AhmadMR
You can add a new contact and schedule to your device, why do you need to go to Live contacts? or have I misunderstood what you were saying?

I meant for writing the contact's name or the schedule in Arabic, forgot to mention that!

@contable: I also read the same article, but he mentioned that he will meet MS Representatives on 17 Jan... After that he (and his team of course!) will decide on the continuity of ChevronWP7 development.

Guest contable
I meant for writing the contact's name or the schedule in Arabic, forgot to mention that!

@contable: I also read the same article, but he mentioned that he will meet MS Representatives on 17 Jan... After that he (and his team of course!) will decide on the continuity of ChevronWP7 development.

We´ll see what happens when the update is available.

• 4 months later...
Guest rcciren

Has anyone seen the NoDo update on Orange (UK)? I've not seen a sniff of it yet and contacting Orange Support ( = a lesson in how to waste your time ), they say it's still in testing. Surely that can't be right? I'd be interested if any other operator is actually rolling this out in the UK?

Guest kaiyee
It's all about cloud computing now I'm afraid.

You can sync using Exchange but what I do is link my Outlook to a Livemail account using Outlook extender and then that is synced with my phone so now I don't actually need Outlook to sync.

Shame Tasks can not be synced anymore though.

Igo8 no idea about and the same would possibly apply to TomTom if either ever released a WP7 version, but then they may be able to sync OTA eventually?

Cloud computing is one thing, but dropping the sync (both cloud & USB) for Outlook Tasks & Notes is a deal breaker for me!

Edited by kaiyee

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.