Bluetooth problems on SF

Guest paulr1949

Guest paulr1949

Hi

Got a new car (Citroen C3 Picasso) before Christmas and just trying to get round to sorting out the bluetooth, but am having problems.

I have paired the phone succesfully, the car recognises the phone straight after I start the engine, I have been able to access the directory and can make calls with no problem. However, every time I receive a call it goes straight to voicemail - which is not a lot of use! Signal at the time was good. Somebody else paired their Nokia phone with the car and it made and received calls fine, so I don't *think* it's the car, although I did notice it also comes up with an option under the "source" menu in the car to "Play" - presumably music (I've not put any music on the SD card yet).

There don't seem to be any suitable settings in the SF menu to do anything else - but I did notice that "make device discoverable" is only activated for 2 minutes, although I can't see how this would only affect receiving calls.

Does anyone have any ideas, or is there an app I can get to control bluetooth better? I'm running the SFG as out of the box, no mods/roots just a few apps downloaded. I'm fairly new at this lark!

TIA for any help

Paul

I can't get my SF to work with my car built-in bluetooth properly either.

It pairs with my car bluetooth, my it does not transfer any voice to my car speaker.

Guest oh!dougal
Hi

Got a new car (Citroen C3 Picasso) before Christmas and just trying to get round to sorting out the bluetooth, but am having problems.

I have paired the phone succesfully, the car recognises the phone straight after I start the engine, I have been able to access the directory and can make calls with no problem. However, every time I receive a call it goes straight to voicemail - which is not a lot of use! Signal at the time was good. Somebody else paired their Nokia phone with the car and it made and received calls fine, so I don't *think* it's the car, although I did notice it also comes up with an option under the "source" menu in the car to "Play" - presumably music (I've not put any music on the SD card yet).

There don't seem to be any suitable settings in the SF menu to do anything else - but I did notice that "make device discoverable" is only activated for 2 minutes, although I can't see how this would only affect receiving calls.

Does anyone have any ideas, or is there an app I can get to control bluetooth better? I'm running the SFG as out of the box, no mods/roots just a few apps downloaded. I'm fairly new at this lark!

TIA for any help

Paul

There are lots of things in play here.

"Bluetooth" is not one package that does everything, always.

The phone needs drivers to talk to different sorts of things - like a headset and a keyboard, for example.

These device-class drivers are called "profiles".

But even there its not clearcut. For example, keyboards have different layouts, and headsets don't always have the same set of buttons.

Your car audio manual, should list what version of Bluetooth, and what profiles it requires.

It sounds as though it is trying to completely control phone and media-player functions.

I'm kinda amazed that you could display the phone's Contacts list on the car's display (if that's what you have done). I wouldn't have expected the Blade/SF to manage that!

I do know that Android's internal paranoid security has prevented some obvious functionality. Even with Android 2.1 (SanFran out of the box) Android does not allow voice-dialling from Bluetooth. This is (in principle) fixed in 2.2 ("FroYo"). But 2.2.0 (our latest, stable option) has a daft bug that reboots the phone when an attached Bluetooth device is switched off after using the amazing app Vlingo ... That is said to be fixed in Android 2.2.1 but we don't have that working properly on the San Fran - not just yet anyway!

Even with 2.2 (Jellyfish 7), my basic Jabra headset button does not seem to 'wake' the phone to attentiveness to voice commands with Vlingo (which is said to work for some headsets and some Android 2.2 phone models).

Then there's the matter of what profiles the San Fran actually has installed. I've not seen this documented. But I do believe that 2.2 has more functionality than 2.1 ...

In the Bluetooth area, the San Fran reveals itself as a cheap phone, NOT a high end megastar.

And Android is still evolving in this area.

So it IS improving. (And quite quickly, right now.)

For now, I'd suggest seeing if you can turn OFF some of the car's gee-whizz functions. See if you can make it behave like a basic hands free headset, and then build up from there.

But the very first thing I'd be trying was to see what happened with the San Fran on-charge in the car (so it was guaranteed to be fully awake when the test call came in, even if the screen was off).

And when I tried it, I'd be watching closely to see what the screen does when the call comes in. (Does the phone notice it? Is it a phone reception, rather than Bluetooth, problem?) With an ordinary Bluetooth headset, the screen would be lighting up on an incoming call, ringing as usual, and, if I remember correctly from 2.1, only after answering (on the phone) could the call be transferred to my headset.

Certainly, with 2.2 (Jellyfish 7), an incoming call does ring both at the phone and headset, AND the call can be answered just by tapping my headset button.

So, something well worth trying, when you become confident about how easy it is to 'mod' the phone, would be to try running Jellyfish 7, or its successor. Get modding!

Edited by oh!dougal

I can't get my SF to work with my car built-in bluetooth properly either.

It pairs with my car bluetooth, my it does not transfer any voice to my car speaker.

Possibly your car doesn't support the A2DP bluetooth profile which is required for high-quality stereo audio.

It looks like it supports the headset profile (from the fact that it can list your contacts).

My bluetooth kit supports a2dp and plays my SF mp3's over my car-stereo just fine. I can also skip tracks and pause from my bluetooth controller.

I have a Parrot MK6100 bluetooth car kit and my Blade is running MCR FroYo Alpha 4.

The car kit synchronises my contacts list and works perfectly for incoming and outgoing calls as well as stereo music

streaming (in fact, so well that I don't even carry any CD's - also my car radio aerial is broken but I never use the radio either, if I want to listen to radio, I stream it via the Blade).

I know this doesn't really help the OP, but it shows that the Blade is quite capable of doing these things, though when it was

running the 2.1, A2DP streaming used to stutter a lot.

Guest Limbo70

Hi, I'm new here, but had the same problem already.

What worked for me was the following;

- Unpair both, the phone and the bluetooth set in your car

- Download and install "Bluetooth File Transfer" from the market

- pair again, this time via "Bluetooth File Transfer" (first 2buttons on)

As said, it worked for me with a Parrot CK3100.

Edited by Limbo70

Guest caldersj
Hi

TIA for any help

Paul

Hi, just wondered whether any of the suggestions worked for you? I just switched from a Nokia 6300 to the San Francisco and have the exact same issue with my BMW 545i. The Nokia always worked perfectly over bluetooth. The contacts from the phone appeared on the dashboard screen, and incoming and outgoing calls worked fine over the car's speaker / mike. Now, the contacts appear, but as soon as I try to make a call, it loses the bluetooth pairing. I don't think it is related to the 'device discoverable for 2 minutes thing' - the pairing step worked fine, and it automatically connects as soon as I get in the car and start the engine. I'm going to try turning off WiFi (the old Nokia didn't even have WiFi) but it will be a pain to have to keep switching off WiFi on the San Fran.

Guest RussellS
Hi, just wondered whether any of the suggestions worked for you? I just switched from a Nokia 6300 to the San Francisco and have the exact same issue with my BMW 545i. The Nokia always worked perfectly over bluetooth. The contacts from the phone appeared on the dashboard screen, and incoming and outgoing calls worked fine over the car's speaker / mike. Now, the contacts appear, but as soon as I try to make a call, it loses the bluetooth pairing. I don't think it is related to the 'device discoverable for 2 minutes thing' - the pairing step worked fine, and it automatically connects as soon as I get in the car and start the engine. I'm going to try turning off WiFi (the old Nokia didn't even have WiFi) but it will be a pain to have to keep switching off WiFi on the San Fran.

That's really weird as I had exactly the OPPOSITE experience. My Nokia 6300 would pair with my Honda Accord built in bluetooth hands free system but as soon as a call was made or received the bluetooth link would break and audio was routed to the handset. I eventually updated the phone to a Nokia 6700 and it was even worse. The San Francisco, on the other hand, connects fine and stays connected through as many incoming and outgoing calls as it's possible to make.

Guest caldersj
That's really weird as I had exactly the OPPOSITE experience. My Nokia 6300 would pair with my Honda Accord built in bluetooth hands free system but as soon as a call was made or received the bluetooth link would break and audio was routed to the handset. I eventually updated the phone to a Nokia 6700 and it was even worse. The San Francisco, on the other hand, connects fine and stays connected through as many incoming and outgoing calls as it's possible to make.

Weird indeed. I can confirm that switching off WiFi on the San Fran didn't help. I'm going to reset the phone to remove all the Orange branding (it is unlocked and I'm actually on T-Mobile) and see if that helps, though I'm not optimistic.

Will report back.

I could only get it to receive files from my other phone, didn't work with anything else. Probably something to do with bluetooth specs. I just use SwiFTP and FileZilla to transfer files (a lot faster and flexible).

Guest spannerz

I find that my CK3000 is tempermental at connecting with my SF -

It's in a MK5 vauxhall astra, my bluetooth only connects to the CK3000 in most cases if I do this: turn on bluetooth on SF, turn on the ignition, wait 5 seconds then start the car, wait and often the SF connects correctly. However sometimes if the SF went to sleep (screen blank( pressing power to light up the SF will then make the phone connect to CK3000)

Other times it's just odd... I drive a few miles then I get the 'cheeep' noise and the two are paired together... othertimes it can see and says paired but won't connect.

Very odd indeed!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest caldersj
Weird indeed. I can confirm that switching off WiFi on the San Fran didn't help. I'm going to reset the phone to remove all the Orange branding (it is unlocked and I'm actually on T-Mobile) and see if that helps, though I'm not optimistic.

Will report back.

Amazingly I can report that this is now working. I followed a fairly hairy (for an Android novice) process of resetting the phone and installing a new ROM image, which removed all the Orange branding, and now the Bluetooth works fine, with or without WiFi turned on. Not for the technically faint-hearted, but I'm glad I did it.

Edited by caldersj

Guest NorthRiding
Amazingly I can report that this is now working. I followed a fairly hairy (for an Android novice) process of resetting the phone and installing a new ROM image, which removed all the Orange branding, and now the Bluetooth works fine, with or without WiFi turned on. Not for the technically faint-hearted, but I'm glad I did it.

Am also trying to solve the Bluetooth/Car Audio problem - which "new" ROM did you use please?

• 2 months later...
Guest worto03
Hi, I'm new here, but had the same problem already.

What worked for me was the following;

- Unpair both, the phone and the bluetooth set in your car

- Download and install "Bluetooth File Transfer" from the market

- pair again, this time via "Bluetooth File Transfer" (first 2buttons on)

As said, it worked for me with a Parrot CK3100.

Just wanted to say a big thanks Limbo70 - I was going to replace my car kit until I tried your instructions and it works perfectly, it has synced the phonebook and I can make and receive calls :) Thank you very much - you just saved me a load of hassle and about £150 quid :)

for info - I'm on Modaco r12 and a Parrot CK3000

Edited by worto03

Guest Searcher2
Am also trying to solve the Bluetooth/Car Audio problem - which "new" ROM did you use please?

I've just my OSF and I was thinking I may not need to load a ROM and just use the Orange stock one as I thought I would only use it for MM Tracker. However, I seem to have the same problem as the OP. I have tried switching off wi-fi. I have tried installing Bluetooth File Transfer. The only way I can connect my phone to the car head unit is by 'make Device Discoverable'. BTW the head unit is a Pioneer DEH-P70BT.

I could give the fibblesan r8a ROM a try but was thinking of going with the Swedish one... Has anyone tried this to solve the bluetooth issue? At the moment this ROM business is a bit daunting but I guess once I've done it once I will get the hang of it. However, I don't really want to keep having to set everything up again though! :)

Guest eMarcus
I've just my OSF and I was thinking I may not need to load a ROM and just use the Orange stock one as I thought I would only use it for MM Tracker. However, I seem to have the same problem as the OP. I have tried switching off wi-fi. I have tried installing Bluetooth File Transfer. The only way I can connect my phone to the car head unit is by 'make Device Discoverable'. BTW the head unit is a Pioneer DEH-P70BT.

I am experiencing those troubles with the very same car kit, too. I tested it with two different Android devices (T-Mobile Pulse Cyanomod 6, & Blase Cyanomod 7). They would both connect automatically when I would set the phones to be discoverable. When disabled discoverability, I can connect from the car kit to the T-Mobile Pulse, but not to the Blase (always get a connection error).

That is quite annoying. I would consider replacing the car kit, but I have no clue which one would be working properly with Android.

I would like to see an app or widget that lets me turn on discoverable infinitely - that would solve my problem (and 90% of other users as well...)

bye

me.

Guest Searcher2
I am experiencing those troubles with the very same car kit, too. I tested it with two different Android devices (T-Mobile Pulse Cyanomod 6, & Blase Cyanomod 7). They would both connect automatically when I would set the phones to be discoverable. When disabled discoverability, I can connect from the car kit to the T-Mobile Pulse, but not to the Blase (always get a connection error).

That is quite annoying. I would consider replacing the car kit, but I have no clue which one would be working properly with Android.

I would like to see an app or widget that lets me turn on discoverable infinitely - that would solve my problem (and 90% of other users as well...)

bye

me.

Exactly what I was thinking - just need to have the option to have Bluetooth 'Discoverable' all the time when bluetooth is on. I don't know what the issue is with not having it so (I am sure there is a good reason but my non-android phone is always discoverable). I am considering changing phones purely because of this.

Guest eMarcus
Exactly what I was thinking - just need to have the option to have Bluetooth 'Discoverable' all the time when bluetooth is on. I don't know what the issue is with not having it so (I am sure there is a good reason but my non-android phone is always discoverable). I am considering changing phones purely because of this.

Yes, this is a real pain with Android. You can find all kinds of problems because always discoverable is not possible. I do respect the security concerns that come with it, but it should be the user's choice if he/she is willing to accept those risks for the sake of a working feature...

bye

Marcus.

Guest Paden

I could give the fibblesan r8a ROM a try but was thinking of going with the Swedish one... Has anyone tried this to solve the bluetooth issue? At the moment this ROM business is a bit daunting but I guess once I've done it once I will get the hang of it. However, I don't really want to keep having to set everything up again though! :)

Hey all

I've struggled with a similar issue myself & do find it ROM dependant.

I find that although the phone pairs successfully & works correctly as long as it awake but as soon as it goes to sleep it doesn't.

I use a VW Bluetooth kit which works great with all Fibblesan ROMs upto r10b but not with r11 (couldn't find out what changed).

It also wont work with CM7 but does work with all the Swedish Spring ROMs, the latest of which is my current ROM.

Never actually tried it with the stock ROM.

Cheers, Paul

Edited by Paden