New budget Android KING coming soon?

Guest Rotmann

Guest Rotmann

Hands on video on engadget here and an unboxing video from Tracy and Matt

Huawei unveiled at the CES the Ideos X5, it has an 800MHz CPU, Andreno 205 GPU (same as desire HD), 512MB RAM, 3,8" 800x480 multitouch capacitive display, a 5MP camera with HD video recording and Flash 10.1 support. It comes stock with Android 2.2.1 and it reached 1400+ points on quadrant ;) It looks pretty smooth too (nexus S anyone? :) ) Some sources state a starting price of 249€ in Finland.

I'm just drooling, if they would bring it an attractive price (willing to spend max 129 quid or 179€). I know the x5 got some attention on the blade 2 topic but I think it deserves a new topic because of the news.

What do you think about it? Would you upgrade? If yes, how much would you pay max. for it?

EDIT: Found a little review and a video here. In the first YouTube movie we can see that it runs 2.2.1 and that it gets 1586 points in quadrant.

I have also found a very good review HERE. The guy says the first unit had the Wi-Fi broken so he replaced it and the second one broke too after one month (damn chinese :D ). He paid 249€ for it ;) I don't think I would pay 249€ though (though the price is fair for an android almost as powerful as a desire/nexus one), i would rather pay 179-199€.

Edited by Rotmann

Guest HypnoPig

It all comes down to price, and from the looks of it that hasn't been announced. It doesn't come out 'til "mid 2011" so who knows what else could pop up during that time.

Guest Rotmann

Correction (first post edited): it is already released in Finland on Elisa and Saunalahti as the Huawei U8800. Here. In the first YouTube movie we can see that it runs 2.2.1 and that it gets 1586 points in quadrant. There are two versions with 2 and 4GB depending on the carrier (back lid should be different too).

I have found a good review HERE. The guy says the first unit had the Wi-Fi broken so he replaced it. He paid 249€ for it ;) The camera shots are pretty good too, he reports a two days stand-by on medium usage, great! I don't think I would pay 249€ though (although the price is fair for an android almost as fast as a desire/nexus one), i would rather pay 179-199€. Could our finnish Blade pals give us more details on this little beast? :D

EDIT: it seems like it's fooked up, his second Huawei broke too and he just gave it up :)

Update on the phone, as written the first unit was getting jammed and randomly rebooting so it got returned. The new unit which got reviewed started showing the same signs - freezing after calls, rebooting randomly etc. Being that I need the phone for work and can't stand unstable hardware I took it back and changed it for a Samsung Galaxy S, which is great so far.

The Huawei was a nice package and if it worked reliably I would still have it, but it's an unfinished product that needed more quality control and testing before release to market.

Now that's crazy, the Blades do have their problems too but they are definitely more reliable.

EDIT 2: Video unboxing from Tracy and Matt added to post 1,

Edited by Rotmann

I've got to say, if the BoM price for the Tegra 2 chip is really $13, I'd be quite happy to see a ZTE Blade+ at £129 with a 5MPix rear camera, a 3Mpix front camera, and one of those dual core 1Ghz boys sitting inside. Would seem to be an easy win.

This year a lot of android budget phones will come up.

qualcomm prepares a budget platform much superior to the blade but at costs around 60$. roumors said it is as powerful as the current premium devices.

so at the moment my frinds and i will not change yet... the price 110CHF = 90 Euro is an absolut bargain.

next christmas will may be the time for a new PAY2GO phone ;) ..

but i have to say.. i have the SGS,too, and the only thing i miss at the blade is the big screen. everything else work as perfekt as on the SGS. ok, i dont care about flash. and the cam is crap but i dont use the cam often. just to take pics for the phonebook.

Edited by curl66

Guest chall32

After the fun that was had with huawei supporting the t-mobile pulse, I'm not sure I'll get a huawei again.

Say what you like about zte, at least they have released two sets of source code now with comparatively little fuss

Guest targetbsp

It does look better but lets face it - it's twice the price! I'm sure there's a market for that - there wasn't much you upgrade from between the blade and top phones until this that made financial sense.

But personally the price of the Blade was at the upper limit of what I'd ever spend on a phone and I'm delighted to have got one as capable as the Blade for that price.

Guest Rotmann
I've got to say, if the BoM price for the Tegra 2 chip is really $13, I'd be quite happy to see a ZTE Blade+ at £129 with a 5MPix rear camera, a 3Mpix front camera, and one of those dual core 1Ghz boys sitting inside. Would seem to be an easy win.

Sorry mate, I highly doubt it.

After the fun that was had with huawei supporting the t-mobile pulse, I'm not sure I'll get a huawei again.

Say what you like about zte, at least they have released two sets of source code now with comparatively little fuss

As far as I know Huawei was pretty cool, they released 2.1 for the T-Mobile pulse.

Huawei, enough said.

Why? The T-Mobile Pulse was a pretty good phone for it's time.

After I've slept over it, I just realized that the Motorola Defy is 279€ in Germany. On the hardware side it's much better than this Huawei. This makes way it too expensive, a competitive price would be 179-199€. Could our Finnish friends tell us more about it?

Guest Azurren

I want to see it with a custom rom, running flash 10.1 and perhaps over clocked to 1ghz :)

Edit: I think £200 is MAX for a budget device, although I would happily pay £150 if I could get some cash back from selling my blade ;)

Edited by Azurren

Guest aleckxander

i can't compare: i bought my sanfran for 90 € in switzerland, this means 1/3 of this handset ;)

anyway it's a nice phone with a nice price, but it's not actracting me a lot now.

I was thinking about t buy this instead of ZTE blade, but because price is more than double I chose Blade. I don't think this huawei is competitor for blade.

Guest MrPuddington

I think we will see more budget Androids coming out this year, and there will be real competition around the 100 currency mark and above.

The Blade is something special, because it delivers a very nice user experience for the mobile internet (its core appeal), it is a hackers dream, and it hits the right price point. Yes, I would pay a bit more for a half decent camera, but that is about it. I do not want a bigger phone, I do not need 2 cameras, I have no use for a dual core CPU, and I certainly do not want to pay for any of this.

Guest Azurren
Doesn't look anything special to be honest and not a significant step up from the Blade. I'll stick with my AMOLED screen.

That's what a lot of pulse users said about the blade..

How wrong they were ;)

Guest NightSt@lk3r
Hands on video on engadget here and an unboxing video from Tracy and Matt

Huawei unveiled at the CES the Ideos X5, it has an 800MHz CPU, Andreno 205 GPU (same as desire HD), 512MB RAM, 3,8" 800x480 multitouch capacitive display, a 5MP camera with HD video recording and Flash 10.1 support. It comes stock with Android 2.2.1 and it reached 1400+ points on quadrant ;) It looks pretty smooth too (nexus S anyone? :) ) Some sources state a starting price of 249€ in Finland.

I'm just drooling, if they would bring it an attractive price (willing to spend max 129 quid or 179€). I know the x5 got some attention on the blade 2 topic but I think it deserves a new topic because of the news.

What do you think about it? Would you upgrade? If yes, how much would you pay max. for it?

EDIT: Found a little review and a video here. In the first YouTube movie we can see that it runs 2.2.1 and that it gets 1586 points in quadrant.

I have also found a very good review HERE. The guy says the first unit had the Wi-Fi broken so he replaced it and the second one broke too after one month (damn chinese :D ). He paid 249€ for it ;) I don't think I would pay 249€ though (though the price is fair for an android almost as powerful as a desire/nexus one), i would rather pay 179-199€.

According to the Tracy and Matt review it has 256MB RAM and the wifi is awful.

It would be interesting to see companies make Android mobiles in the £100-150 range and see how they compare to the ZTE Blade.

Nokia wont be to happy about this ;)

Guest BigBearMDC

I lost trust in Huawei a while ago. Even if this phone would only cost a 100 bucks I wouldn't buy it. My next phone will be the Xperia Play anyway ;)

Best regards,

BB