22/May [GUIDE] How to Install a Custom ROM on the ZTE Blade [GEN1]

Guest StevenHarperUK

Guest Frinnic

Hi,

This is a wonderful site that pulls together lots of useful info about rooting the ZTE Blade. Thanks very much to everyone who has created it, and especially to those who respond so rapidly to the constant stream of queries.

But a major problem I have (and, maybe, others do to?) is that this site doesn't seem to give very much info about the integrity of the various bits of software it recommends. My worry would be that, having rooted my phone and installed an upgraded version of Android, it's security might have been compromised. With due deference (and I do mean that!) to the many individuals who have crafted the various apps and compiled the new Android packages, how is an end-user to know that one or other of Androot, Recovery Manager and so on will not plant malware that might, for example, gather details of credit-card numbers or passwords keyed into the browser (including the cached password automatically used to access a linked gmail account) and then whisk them off to some nefarious organisation on the other side of the world? Or whether, perhaps, the phone might suddenly run up a rather large bill by surreptitiously dialling out to international premium-rate phone numbers?

Usually one can feel (reasonably!) secure when installing software if either:

• it comes from a known software house (whose reputation would be severely damaged if it released malware), or
  • it is open-source software (which will have been scrutinised by many eyes), or
  • it will, like ordinary apps from Market, have been subjected to a basic level of checking and will be run, with limited permissions, in a sandboxed environment.

Would it be asking too much for the originators of Androot, Superoot, urooted, etc to publish the source code of their exploits so that the above fears could be laid to rest? It's difficult to see that they would lose by doing this – and it would make their work so much more valuable to the community. If, for whatever reason, this can't be done, would it instead be possible to devote a section of this site to airing these issues: maybe, with more background info on the way these exploits work, the fears expressed above would prove groundless.

Again, thanks for putting together this site!

Guest StevenHarperUK
Would it be asking too much for the originators of Androot, Superoot, urooted, etc to publish the source code of their exploits so that the above fears could be laid to rest?

I agree the source code in the open is always better.

If you feel strongly then you need to choose a distribution such as Cyanogenmod - it is full open source.

Once you have used fastboot to install clockwork (which is open source)

Just install Cyanogen and your phone is then running 100% open code.

Guest spoty

Hi!

I accidentally chose "Set on boot recovery" now i come to the clockwork menu without chosen the rom. How do i get back into the phone?

Guest spoty

I fixed it, a question though, it says Currently installed recovery: Unrecognised.

Should it say like that? Yes ofc i've installed it

I fixed it, a question though, it says Currently installed recovery: Unrecognised.

Should it say like that? Yes ofc i've installed it

i've had a similar problem

in short: check the md5checksum of the file

make sure you are root

the md5checksum was my problem

you can retry to download all 3 programs from this topic and start all over again.

http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...-the-zte-blade/

it's solved in this topic http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...a-new-firmware/

and my first mistake was in this topic http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...stall-firmware/

Guest kerryokeefe

Thanks Stephen Harper for detailed instructions and youtube vid. For my blade, took weeks to build up the courage to put JJ9 on using orangesanfrancisco website. Learned a lot doing that, this time followed your instructions, took less thsn 30 mins. Thanks again to you and all on this website who have helped and advised me in the last month

Guest Luis Alonso

Hello,,

I'm portuguese and have very problems with my San Francisco, because i install the new ROM, i follow the steps,

I install Antiroot , and rooting device and recovery manager and clockwork,

I install the new rom Japanese Jelfly by clockwork, but and can't toush on screen, .

The sreen dont work...

Somebody can help me please....

Thanksss

Guest gladiamos

hi all,

I had a ZTE for 1 month, i installed clockwork recovery and test few mod roms, everything worked well.

But it crashed (don't detect any sim) i put it stock and send it to orange (warranty).

Orange send me a new one.

Problem is the new one, i have install clockwork recovery, can install any custom Rom with no error, but it never boot(stay at the green android logo), tried all wipes possible etc... i've read all guides and don't know why....

With clockwork the only rom who works are the officials one (Orange rom, etc...).

I tried to reinstall all partition with a TPT rom but seem to not resolve the problem.

Any idea ??

Edited by gladiamos

Guest kunfayakoon

Hi guys,

i really need some help here.

My OSF (tft) will not mount a drive letter for me to push through anything. when It did initially work i pushed through boot.blade.superboot.mcri.r3.img since then all i get is the green android when i turn on the device (without holding any volume key).

Im fearing the worst.

Can anybody give me some advice please?

thanks

Guest kunfayakoon
Hi guys,

i really need some help here.

My OSF (tft) will not mount a drive letter for me to push through anything. when It did initially work i pushed through boot.blade.superboot.mcri.r3.img since then all i get is the green android when i turn on the device (without holding any volume key).

Im fearing the worst.

Can anybody give me some advice please?

thanks

Hi guys,

This has been sorted thanks to advice from StevenHarperUK. I used the TPT method and reverted back to the original Orange Stock rom image.

Guest mopages

Im having a lot of random problems like the touch screen doesnt work sometimes, how can I re install a rom without having to use the touch screen?

Edited by mopages

Guest gladiamos
hi all,

I had a ZTE for 1 month, i installed clockwork recovery and test few mod roms, everything worked well.

But it crashed (don't detect any sim) i put it stock and send it to orange (warranty).

Orange send me a new one.

Problem is the new one, i have install clockwork recovery, can install any custom Rom with no error, but it never boot(stay at the green android logo), tried all wipes possible etc... i've read all guides and don't know why....

With clockwork the only rom who works are the officials one (Orange rom, etc...).

I tried to reinstall all partition with a TPT rom but seem to not resolve the problem.

Any idea ??

No one can help me ? :D

Edited by gladiamos

Guest targetbsp

Has anyone flashed a rom with the phone on charge? Though I've long since stopped removing the battery as directed by the manual clockwork method, I do always take the power cable out first. And I'm not sure why I feel the need to do that!

Guest SparkGlow

Hi,

I have unlocked the phone but am unable to root the phone using UniversalAndroot_1.6.1.apk. I downloaded the UniversalAndroot_1.6.1.apk on the SD card and installed run the application. The application opens and prompts me to root the phone and then it says device already rooted, root again? and I say yes and it returns "Sorry! The application Universal Androot (process com.corner23.android) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again" and then Force Close.

Experts pls guide me to unrooting the phone.

Thanks,

Tan

Guest StevenHarperUK
Hi,

I have unlocked the phone but am unable to root the phone using UniversalAndroot_1.6.1.apk. I downloaded the UniversalAndroot_1.6.1.apk on the SD card and installed run the application. The application opens and prompts me to root the phone and then it says device already rooted, root again? and I say yes and it returns "Sorry! The application Universal Androot (process com.corner23.android) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again" and then Force Close.

Experts pls guide me to unrooting the phone.

Thanks,

Tan

Uninstall UniversalAndroot_1.6.1 and re-install

Also Kill all Tasks

Guest jamied18

hi mate im getting a sanfransico or ZTE tmorrow (hopefully) im new to anroid and apps i havnt ever used any of them, when i get the phone i understand its full of all orange crap i would like to get rid of this and somehow make it faster? im not to bad with computers if u tell me where and what to downlaod i could do it, im just crap with guides and take long to learn new stuff any help would be appreshiated i just want my new phone to be good and have cool stuff on it haha (:

Thanks jamie :D

Guest AMarinos
hi mate im getting a sanfransico or ZTE tmorrow (hopefully) im new to anroid and apps i havnt ever used any of them, when i get the phone i understand its full of all orange crap i would like to get rid of this and somehow make it faster? im not to bad with computers if u tell me where and what to downlaod i could do it, im just crap with guides and take long to learn new stuff any help would be appreshiated i just want my new phone to be good and have cool stuff on it haha (:

Thanks jamie :D

Your request invalidates itself....you're new to android, yet you want to remove system apps, and you're not fast at learning new stuff ?

Only advice I could give you, pick a custom 2.2 rom from here Roms, go through the steps and you should be OK....

Guest zenchan

Brand new phone today, exact same problem. Curious :D

Guest arjaydavis

Great - very clear instructions. I'm a total novice so I read through your steps and prepared, watched the video and then just got on with it.

Now Using: FLB-Froyo G2 for ZTE Blade (r10b).

Hi all,

I have been trying to install a custom ROM on my Orange San Francisco and have run into some problems.

I installed UniversalAndroot 1.6.1 and Clockwork 2.5.1.8 on a functional Orange SF. I then used Clockwork to install Japanese Jellyfish. Upon restarting the phone, the touchscreen did not work any more.

I have downloaded and reinstalled the original Orange stock ROM, but the touchscreen still does not work.

I would very much appreciate any help that anyone could offer me as my phone is currently unusable.

Many thanks.

Guest StevenHarperUK
Hi all,

I have been trying to install a custom ROM on my Orange San Francisco and have run into some problems.

I installed UniversalAndroot 1.6.1 and Clockwork 2.5.1.8 on a functional Orange SF. I then used Clockwork to install Japanese Jellyfish. Upon restarting the phone, the touchscreen did not work any more.

I have downloaded and reinstalled the original Orange stock ROM, but the touchscreen still does not work.

I would very much appreciate any help that anyone could offer me as my phone is currently unusable.

Many thanks.

Can you try

Seb404s R6

http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...co-eclair-oled/

This thread has the same problem as you

http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...ing-an-new-rom/

Hi Steven,

Thanks for your reply.

In trying to get the phone back to its original state I installed the "OUK_P729BV1.0.0B10-update_signed.zip" ROM, which appears to overwrite the recovery installation. When I reboot into recovery now, I just get a white screen that says "FTM". From what I read in the original post, I can get Clockwork back on if I do a bunch of stuff involving installing drivers to my PC and then installing from a terminal? I'm going to try that now, and I will post again when I'm done to report success or failure with the ROM you recommended.

This thread has the same problem as you

http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...ing-an-new-rom/

I did have a read through that thread, but what people seem to be saying in there is that continually rebooting works for some, and reflashing to the stock ROM works for virtually everyone. I have tried both of these things and neither of them appear to work for me :D

Edited by msb1

I can get Clockwork back on if I do a bunch of stuff involving installing drivers to my PC [...] I'm going to try that now, and I will post again when I'm done to report success or failure with the ROM you recommended.

I don't seem to be able to do this.

Quoting from your original post:

On Windows you will need to install the ZTE Blade Drivers.

If you do not install the drivers you will see "waiting for device" when using the fastboot-windows

Drivers here : http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...rivers-and-adb/

Some users report these drivers work when the first do not work : http://flibblesan.co.uk/android/zte_driver.zip

I have tried both sets of these drivers. When the phone is fully booted, the first two drivers (Single and Composite) install fine. However, when I reboot to recovery, then point the Found New Hardware wizard at the drivers' location, this happens:

QGt34.png

I have tried both sets of drivers and this happens with both of them. I assume this means I cannot install ClockworkMod again, as the original post says 'If you do not install the drivers you will see "waiting for device" when using the fastboot-windows'.

I would appreciate any advice you could offer me. :D

edited to add: yep, I just tried to install Clockwork in the way detailed in the OP and all I get is 'waiting for device' indefinitely. I am very worried here that my new phone has just become an expensive paperweight.

Edited by msb1

Newer phones don't have fastboot. You have to use recovery manager. Or do a TPT

So seeing as I cannot get Recovery Manager back onto the phone, my only option is TPT? I will look into that.

Edited to add into the most recent post: Could you please advise as to whether I would have any success in taking the phone back to the retailer (Argos) and asking for a replacement due to faulty hardware? I apologise for bombarding you with questions, but I am going to the wedding of a close friend in a few days time, and really need a working phone for the purpose of organisation as well as pictures and video, so if there is any chance of being able to resolve this quickly by trying to obtain a replacement then I may attempt to do that.

Edited by msb1